Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I need to see Once Upon A Time again but my ranking is something like this...

1 Kill Bill
    2 Inglorious Basterds
    3 Pulp Fiction
    4 Django Unchained
    5 The Hateful Eight
    6 Reservoir Dogs
    7 Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
    8 Jackie Brown
    9 Death Proof

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Mine (still haven't seen OUATIH):

1 Pulp Fiction
    2 Kill Bill
    3 Jackie Brown
    4 Inglourious Basterds
    5 Reservoir Dogs
    6 Django Unchained
    7 Hateful Eight
    8 Death Proof

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Not being cheeky; I just find it really hard to differentiate between most of the post-2000 stuff, which (obviously) I'm not a fan of:

1 Pulp Fiction
    2 Reservoir Dogs
    3 Inglourious Basterds
    4 Jackie Brown
    8 Django Unchained / Kill Bill / The Hateful Eight / Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
    9 Death Proof

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    My ranking:

1. Jackie Brown
    2. Inglourious Basterds
    3. Kill Bill
    4. Pulp Fiction
    5. Death Proof
    6. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    7. Django Unchained
    8. Reservoir Dogs
    9. The Hateful Eight

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I need to see Jackie Brown again. I last saw it in the theater in '97/'98. I just remember being somewhat letdown after the brilliant Pulp Fiction (arguably the best U.S. film of the 1990's).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I need to see Jackie Brown again. I last saw it in the theater in '97/'98. I just remember being somewhat letdown after the brilliant Pulp Fiction (arguably the best U.S. film of the 1990's).
    jackie brown is probably his slowest burn but it's so good. the characters are so perfectly crafted, the music is incredible, and the atmosphere is probably the most rewarding aspect of the film. i love it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I haven't seen OUaTiH yet, but...

1. Inglourious Basterds
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Jackie Brown
    4. The Hateful Eight
    5. Death Proof
    6. Reservoir Dogs
    7. Django Unchained
    8. Kill Bill
    Last edited by neorev; 08-07-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Funny to see everyone's ranking difffering so much. Here's mine with Death Proof and Basterds far behind, although Planet Terror really elevated the whole Grindhouse thing for me big time. I'm also a sucker for Western so go figure...

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Reservoir Dogs
    3. The Hateful Eight
    4. Django Unchained
    5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    6. Jackie Brown
    7. Kill Bill
    8. Death Proof
    9. Inglourious Basterds (bonus points for Fassbender though)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Weird to see Kill Bill, Django, and Basterds so low in many of the rankings here.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    1. Kill Bill
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Jackie Brown
    5. Death Proof
    6. Inglorious Basterds
    7. Hateful 8
    8. Django Unchained

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Weird to see Kill Bill, Django, and Basterds so low in many of the rankings here.
    I love Inglorious Basterds, but I found Kill Bill and Django to be kinda ehhh. Not bad movies, but not Tarantino's best work when compared to others in his body of work.

After I made my list, I decided to rewatch Django Unchained just to see if I felt any differently watching it now. I only saw it a couple of times. It moved up ahead of Kill Bill, knocking Kill Bill to the bottom of the list.

I've seen Kill Bill numerous of times and was never enthralled with its characters like I am with characters from other Tarantino films.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-07-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I think many people were expecting Pulp Fiction 2 and it was definitely not that, nor was it meant to be. After Kill Bill, Tarantino locked into a certain style, and while I've enjoyed most of what he's made since then (The Hateful Eight being the only exception), it's refreshing to watch Jackie Brown and see how he restrained himself after Pulp Fiction. It's not a flashy film (although it does have its moments of flash), and it's all the better for it. It's probably his most human story too. Jackie Brown's struggle to rise above her circumstances and come out on top is riveting stuff in my opinion. I would love to see Tarantino make a film like that again, but like I said, he's locked into a specific style now and I don't see him changing that any time soon.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 08-07-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I forgot to mention it earlier, but I watched this after commenting on the movie here and Mike and Jay pretty much summed up exactly how I felt about this movie (love those guys). I agree with one or both of them more often than not, but this time I felt like they were reading my mind.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Can't sit through a half hour those dorks.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 08-13-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw this again and enjoyed it as much, maybe even a little more, as I see how well crafted and constructed the film is. During my initial viewing, I thought "This is overlong," or "Is this really necessary?" at times. However, upon my second viewing, I see how Tarintino had a masterplan, how everything truly does fit together. For example, when DeCaprio is talking to the child on the set and telling her about the book he's reading (how the protagonist is a shell of his former self), I wondered if it was necessary at first (I got that it was an analogy to DeCaprio's character), but now I see how pivotal that scene is. The movie is about Rick Dalton's (DeCaprio) rise, fall and rise again. Dalton tries to tell his story and struggle with the child, and when she later tells him "that was the best acting I've ever seen," he feels fully redeemed, like a Phoenix Rising from the ashes of being a has-been, and now his confidence has been restored. And the banter between the two is delightful.

I also better appreciate the final moments of the film, when Dalton and Tate finally meet, and the two stories told simultaneously come together. Also, as I mentioned in the Tarintino soundtracks thread, this soundtrack is fucking awesome. Awesome sampling of 60's rock, nothing super obvious, with some cool radio ads thrown in, to really give you the flavor of listening to the radio in 1969. And the quality is kind of crappy too, like you're actually listening to these songs on some cheap FM radio from Sears.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 08-13-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Saw it yesterday and loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    1. Kill Bill
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Jackie Brown
    5. Death Proof
    6. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    7. Inglorious Basterds
    8. Hateful 8
    9. Django Unchained

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Interesting piece on the movie. Discusses sexism and other problems with the film. I don't know if I agree with him, but it's a thoughtful article. https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/8/1...ined-tarantino

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Just got back from seeing this.

I really enjoyed it.

Spoiler: The moment I seen the Manson Family members slinking around in the car outside Rick's house and watched Cliff take Brandy for a walk (also finally connecting it was a pitbull for a reason) I knew there was going to be an alternate reality scene with the murders. Whether it was Rick and Cliff being killed or the Manson family themselves. I leaned to the latter due to Brandy and was proven correct. I still loved it though!

I also loved the Italian Spaghetti Western movie narration where it mentioned the director as Antonio Margeretti. It was one of the fake names the Basterds gave in the movie theater when they posed as Italian Directors at the movie premiere near the end of Inglourious Basterds. Love it.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-17-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I also loved the Italian Spaghetti Western movie narration where it mentioned the director as Antonio Margeretti. It was one of the fake names the Basterds gave in the movie theater when they posed as Italian Directors at the movie premiere near the end of Inglourious Basterds. Love it.
    Missed that--always fun Easter Eggs in QT movies, i.e., Red Apple Cigarettes.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Poor Tarantino. As the RLM guys also said, he's one of the last real filmmakers, who has mainstream status, and he's still being bombarded by trash sites like Vox. ctr+f "straight male", "uncomfortable", "white", and you can essentially know the full article. It's adorable how the author is clearly struggles about violence against some of the biggest pieces of shits who ever walked this Earth. Yeah-yeah, they massacred some people, including a pregnant woman, and painted the walls with her blood, but on the other hand... they are women.

Everyone in the cinema (no, not full of white dudes, plenty of women, actually) was enjoying the scenes where the Mason filths (including the women) got brutalized, and it served its purpose. It delivered some sweet justice, plus made them look like absolute jokers. Obsessing with murderers, cult leaders, etc. is always trendy, it's always edgy to say shit like "you know what? Manson was right, and a visionary and a genius!", so it's a nice message to those kind of people that their heroes are nothing more than evil losers.

Another thing in the article was a slight complain about Manson not being there, when he was the mastermind it all. The same people who complain about that would give mad shit if Tarantino spent his sweet time setting him up as an extremely charismatic folk (which he was, so anything less would be unfaithful to history), claiming that he made Manson cool again.

I have huge respect for Tarantino, because he is making amazing and well-thought out movies in an era, where if 5 warrior women walks together for 10 seconds looking all mighty (Endgame) is considered a great piece of filmmaking, but if you berate some piece of shit who happens to be a woman, then hold on for a minute, let's write some kotaku, buzzfeed and vox articles about this, because I am literally shaking. I'm not saying every scene he does is great, but it's such a breath of fresh air that there is a movie I can think about. We can also argue about stuff not in a matter of "-that sucked! -no, that didn't suck, you suck!!", but to actually trying to interpret things, and what we think of them.

Sure, Tarantino would cry if he knew that by page 3 this thread turned into a rate your Tarantino movies, but still.
    Last edited by Volband; 08-21-2019 at 04:19 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I'm always baffled by these articles as I never seem to experience the movies like the people apparently do that write these critical articles... would it have been okay for them to show how the guy was horribly brutalized and the two girls just got shot? Jesus... On the other hand it's a movie about 1969, so I don't expect this to follow the moral code of 2019 or what is regarded as such. In no way did that movie point me in the direction that the action that was taking place is good or bad and left it very much open.

Thinking about the movie again after having caught a German showing for free I have to say that this is one of Brad Pitt's finest roles. I really warmed up to him again after I didn't enjoy most of what he's been doing the last couple of years.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    It was interesting to me how the main characters were being packed out over time. Sharon went from a regular Hollywood silly girl to a really loveable person, and Cliff went from a guy who is probably living some secret second life and going to backstab everyone to just a really cool dude and a great friend. This movie just oozes positive vibes by the end. Hateful Eight (one of my favorite movies ever) was a bunch of selfish, bad people backstabbing eachother in the cold, dark winter, while One Upon has these likeable, sympathetic people trying to help others in a colorful, sunny environment. They are flawed, but they mean good.

Was there even a non-Manson related character, who was a bad person? Bruce Lee may have came across as an ass for the first time, but then we saw how he patiently helped Sharon practice. Al Pacino's character looked and talked like your regular evil manager, but he was trying to help Dalton to at least don't go completely broke.

That being said, I can't blame anyone who don't like this movie, because it's not an easy watch, especially if you have no knowledge about the Tate murders.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just saw this last night. I really enjoyed it. Will be adding this to my rotation of films to revisit again.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    OUATIH might also get the four hour Netflix treatment:

https://news.avclub.com/brad-pitt-co...nce-1837906765

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    1. Kill Bill Vol. 1 (both if they count as one)
    2. Inglourious Basterds
    3. Pulp Fiction
    4. Kill Bill Vol. 2 (If we're counting them separately)
    5. Django Unchained
    6. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (only saw it once)
    7. Reservoir Dogs (I haven't seen it in over a decade)
    8. Jackie Brown (only saw it once)
    9. Death Proof (only saw it once)

I haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet.
    I also reserve the right to reevaluate any of the aforementioned films and adjust my list as I see fit.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    01 Inglorious Basterds
    02 Kill Bill
    03 Reservoir Dogs
    04 Django Unchained
    05 Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    06 Pulp Fiction
    07 Death Proof
    08 Jackie Brown
    09 The Hateful Eight

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just saw Jackie Brown for the first time since I saw it in the theatre in '97/'98. I remember being a little disappointed back then because it wasn't as amazing as Pulp Fiction, but I think it's maybe Tarintino's most underrated movie. It's kind of a slow-burn and the heist is a little involved, but it works. I forgot how much I liked Bridget Fonda in this movie, but really the whole cast was great, with some great, subtle humor.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 09-07-2020 at 01:04 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Just saw Jackie Brown for the first time since I saw it in the theatre in '97/'98. I remember being a little disappointed back then because it wasn't as amazing as Pump Fiction, but I think it's maybe Tarintino's most underrated movie. It's kind of a slow-burn and the heist is a little involved, but it works. I forgot how much I liked Bridget Fonda in this movie, but really the whole cast was great, with some great, subtle humor.
    I love Jackie Brown. Def in top 3 Tarantino for me.
    And now that I've seen Once Upon A Time In Hollywood a few times.

1. Inglourious Basterds
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Jackie Brown
    4. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    5. The Hateful Eight
    6. Death Proof
    7. Reservoir Dogs
    8. Django Unchained
    9. Kill Bills

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I don't know if OUATIH was his best film, but I'd say it was his most fun. It gets better with repeated viewings too--as a lot of the scenes where not a lot happens offer a lot that I missed the first time around, a lot of atmosphere to soak up, like when you see the character Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) watching the actual Sharon Tate for an extended period--it shouldn't work, but it does.

I'm sorry Ebert missed this one.

ETA: Loved these scenes:

Last edited by GulDukat; 09-07-2020 at 01:21 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I still like it more than The Hateful Eight, but after watching it twice, I really don't have a desire to watch it again. Performances were nice, but I just found myself not really caring about anything that happened in it. I feel like Tarantino's films have been lacking an emotional center for a long time now. All the meandering would have been fine if there was something to anchor it in the end, but it just seemed like a weird mix of ideas and sketches and wish fulfillment.