Page 25 of 60 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2019 - There are still children in detention separated from their parents

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    is it, though? I'm torn on this subject.

There isn't much chance of removing him from office, and I can just hear it: TOTAL EXONERATION, BY THE SENATE!
    But again, anyone who's going to scream that is already voting for him. They would vote for him again if he was fully impeached, removed from office, and then ran again while on trial in a criminal court. I don't think it's going to add a significant number of votes. No "never-Trumps" will be swayed, and I don't think any truly independent voters would suddenly add a vote because they went "oh, the Republican Senate says he's not a criminal". Anyone with a brain would see why he was "cleared," and anyone without a brain would vote for him regardless.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I think only one historian was needed but WaPo decided to do the extra work and consult seven historians about Clarence Thomas' eugenics reference with abortion. Spoiler: he doesn't fucking understand it - https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...=.199ae7e3578f

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    I think only one historian was needed but WaPo decided to do the extra work and consult seven historians about Clarence Thomas' eugenics reference with abortion. Spoiler: he doesn't fucking understand it - https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...=.199ae7e3578f
    Unless it's specifically linked to Trump, can we keep abortion to the abortion thread? Just for the sake of not getting confused about who's responsible for what bullshit in the news on any given day.

https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...-Abortion-Bans

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Unless it's specifically linked to Trump, can we keep abortion to the abortion thread? Just for the sake of not getting confused about who's responsible for what bullshit in the news on any given day.

https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...-Abortion-Bans
    Well, I'd argue it's all technically Trump when you think about it.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Jesus Mitch... you transparent fuck. Gee I wonder why he doesn’t want to stop foreign governments from messing with our elections when all the evidence was clearly screaming that it was done to support his side. Let’s not even get to the point where we ask why that is, it doesn’t matter to him

re impeachment, it shouldn’t be invoked as part of a partisan strategy.

in other news, Kim Jong Un just executed the NK nuclear Envoy to The US by firing squad because the last meeting with Trump melted down

Edit: I’ve heard an interesting take that this news about NK should be taken with a grain of salt...
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-31-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    in other news, Kim Jong Un just executed the NK nuclear Envoy to The US by firing squad because the last meeting with Trump melted down

Edit: I’ve heard an interesting take that this news about NK should be taken with a grain of salt...
    The reporting on this started off AWFUL. I saw ONE major outlet (NYT) that included something like "allegedly" or "according to state media" in the headline. Everyone else buried it as a sort of side note somewhere in the story.

A few hours later, the BBC came through with this piece, which should be required reading for anybody who thinks that this is fact.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    So... Trump is raging about fake news on twitter, demanding an apology because they were totally caught in a lie claiming he called Meagan Markle “nasty.”

And of course there’s A FUCKING VIDEO OF HIM SAYING IT, but don’t let pesky stuff like that get in the way of the gas lighting

edit: what the fuuuuck... now official twitter account Trump War Room is tweeting transcripts featuring his quote “I didn’t know she was nasty” as proof that he didn’t say it. This is making me feel insane. Who cares what you think of Meagan Markle. Call her whatever the hell you want. Just don’t lie about it when there’s a recording, and especially don’t POINT to that recording as proof that you didn’t say it.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-02-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    She isn’t “Meghan Markle!!!”

She’s “Meghan, Duchess of Sussex!”

She got married, dropped her maiden name, acquired a royal title, etc.

Officially, her entire title is “Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex.” She’s also the Countess of Dumbarton and the Baroness of Killeen.

We Americans should respect that.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-02-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'll respect it, but I can't claim to care about these sorts of titles enough to get it right; it's just not my thing.

But, at the time she said the comments that pissed Trump off, her last name was Markle, so...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'll respect it, but I can't claim to care about these sorts of titles enough to get it right; it's just not my thing.
    Okay, but calling a woman by her maiden name when she has chosen to take a new name after marriage? It’s disrespectful.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-03-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I guess it is, sure. I don’t know... it’s probably best if I keep my general opinions about royalty and monarchies to myself, and not just because nobody cares what I think about it. I think it’s weird enough that we have a special distinction (mrs vs ms) to clearly denote whether a woman is married or available, but no male equivalent, and we’re all pretty much fine with that...

anyway, back on track...Trump sucks, and he’s calling for an AT&T boycott because CNN is mean

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I guess it is, sure. I don’t know... it’s probably best if I keep my general opinions about royalty and monarchies to myself, and not just because nobody cares what I think about it. I think it’s weird enough that we have a special distinction (mrs vs ms) to clearly denote whether a woman is married or available, but no male equivalent, and we’re all pretty much fine with that...
    Miss (single) or Mrs. (married)

“Ms.” was developed by feminists specifically to be neutral. (I’m married and I use “Ms.”)

I’ve been married twice and never took my husband’s name, but I already have my FATHER’S name and my mother had her father’s name so we can’t escape the patriarchy unless we make up our own names. But, Royal titles aren’t really much different than calling Trump the President. The MSM doesn’t call him Don, so the MSM should stop calling Duchess Meghan and Duchess Catherine “Meghan Markle” and “Kate Middleton.” I suspect it’s done because they were both commoners. Lady Diana Spencer was not a commoner and was referred to as “Lady Di” in MSM until her marriage, then forever as “Princess Diana” - even though that was never her title, either (but at least they weren’t calling her “Diana Spencer”).

Trump bragged that he was trying to bone Diana Princess of Wales.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-03-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Shaaaaaaaaaaaade

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

I really regret being asleep when my flight left London this morning. I can't believe I might have actually had a chance to see this in person and missed it.

Details: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-48495610

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post

Trump bragged that he was trying to bone Diana Princess of Wales.
    Didn't he suggest that he "could have nailed her" weeks after she died, but that he would have required her to take an HIV test first...

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So... Trump is raging about fake news on twitter, demanding an apology because they were totally caught in a lie claiming he called Meagan Markle “nasty.”

And of course there’s A FUCKING VIDEO OF HIM SAYING IT, but don’t let pesky stuff like that get in the way of the gas lighting

edit: what the fuuuuck... now official twitter account Trump War Room is tweeting transcripts featuring his quote “I didn’t know she was nasty” as proof that he didn’t say it. This is making me feel insane...
    And, this is a new precedent, you know? This is where we are now, and, it's possibly a portent of the future of this country in general.

I think that's what scares me the most: the idea that all of this is a reflection of who we are now, and a culmination of the dark side of the US. I know I keep saying grim shit
    like this, but I can't stop thinking about it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I just watched this flame war unfold, over a post made by a page called "Democrats,' on facebook, saying that "Democrats" had unveiled their new (rainbow colored) logo, @Jinsai . The comments almost IMMEDIATELY devolved into "Obama is a Gay Muslim" memes and shit, and vile name calling from both sides.

And it didn't look like anyone stopped to consider that the Democratic party doesn't have a Facebook page called Democrats, where they unleash their official logos.

I can't seem to shake the feeling that the trump phenomenon, and the ultra tribal bullshit, and the death of unbiased news, and the spread of fake news, and the ease of arguing online in real time: it's like, all this shit together, with trump, makes me scared that trump is seriously the fucking harbinger of the end of the U.S.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-03-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

I can't seem to shake the feeling that the trump phenomenon, and the ultra tribal bullshit, and the death of unbiased news, and the spread of fake news, and the ease of arguing online in real time: it's like, all this shit together, with trump, makes me scared that trump is seriously the fucking harbinger of the end of the U.S.
    And here's my uncharacteristic optimism: I think people are getting really fucking sick of it... not just the people who didn't vote for this insanity, and not just the people who generally don't care or pay attention to political theater. I think the people who thought "hey, I'm just way too curious to see what it would be like to have the Apprentice clown be president!" are finding it increasingly hard to sleep at night. I think they're quietly eager to run and vote this away.

god I hope so. I have such a hard time believing that the average voting American doesn't feel that this is going in a bad direction, clearly.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

god I hope so. I have such a hard time believing that the average voting American doesn't feel that this is going in a bad direction, clearly.
    Jesus, I hope you're right. What scares me is the uninformed, who are supporting trump almost by default, and, aren't even AWARE of a lot of what's going on.

I hope those people- the ones posting the "gay muslim" memes- don't vote.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I hope those people- the ones posting the "gay muslim" memes- don't vote.
    Well, on that front... I feel like those people are a lot more likely to vote than millennials whining because they didn't get their favorite/best choice in the primary. Then again, I think the people so goddamn crazy/stupid that they think Clinton and Podesta ran a sex slavery ring out of the basement of a pizzeria that doesn't even have a basement... This is a very vocal itsy-bitsy minority. Some "Q-Anon" protestors were outside my apartment, with a "Honk if for Q! Honk for Trump!" For a brief moment, until those fuckers left, it seemed like one of the honkiest streets in LA got mysteriously quiet.

Sure it's LA, but no... the people who think Clinton killed her aid or something and think Obama's meth dealer demanded gay sex from him or something... These are about as common as elephants in Alaska.

Evangelicals are a way more troubling concern, and hey, at least we can clearly see what they're really all about now, cuz it sure as shit isn't "acting Christlike"
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-03-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I just watched this flame war unfold, over a post made by a page called "Democrats,' on facebook, saying that "Democrats" had unveiled their new (rainbow colored) logo, @Jinsai . The comments almost IMMEDIATELY devolved into "Obama is a Gay Muslim" memes and shit, and vile name calling from both sides.

And it didn't look like anyone stopped to consider that the Democratic party doesn't have a Facebook page called Democrats, where they unleash their official logos.

get off Facebook.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    get off Facebook.
    yep... I need to keep it as a connective thing, but I feel like really, it’s just becoming unhealthy, and at best often feels like a time vampire. Twitter is so much worse too

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    “Get off Facebook” ignores the fact that:

a) That’s where most of Trump voters hang out

b) 67% of Americans get their news from Facebook

c) Facebook is where Russians are spreading a shitload of propaganda.

Whether or not you’re on it is irrelevant. They’re all on it, sucking up and spreading propaganda.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-04-2019 at 01:21 AM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, but that’s where being on social media is so infuriating. It’s why my future mother-in-law blocked me... I politely disagreed with her memes claiming migrant caravans were bringing thousands of cases of small pox into the country, and supplied scientific counter evidence to her claims that climate change was the earth going through a cycle and humans weren’t contributing to a problem. The other day I got into a “debate” with someone convinced that McCain didn’t really have brain cancer but in truth was quietly executed for being a traitor to the president (and this notion was perfectly acceptable to her).

The most recent episode of Bill Maher had this clip where a woman looked genuinely shocked after a town hall panel with Justin Amash. She was stunned, and said “I didn’t know there was anything bad in the Mueller report... I thought it totally exonerated him... I admit I watch primarily conservative news...”

There’s the problem and the solution. They will not listen until they hear it from a card-carrying conservative, and even then who knows if it’ll really stick

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, but that’s where being on social media is so infuriating. It’s why my future mother-in-law blocked me... I politely disagreed with her memes claiming migrant caravans were bringing thousands of cases of small pox into the country, and supplied scientific counter evidence to her claims that climate change was the earth going through a cycle and humans weren’t contributing to a problem.
    Same has happened to me with a cousin that I actually really respected. I posted a snopes link awhile ago on some bs article he shared and he came back with "WhO FaCt ChEcKs tHe FaCt ChEcKeRs." I was then blocked after I politely explained that there are verifiable sources in the article. It's really fucking frustrating and exhausting.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Same has happened to me with a cousin that I actually really respected. I posted a snopes link awhile ago on some bs article he shared and he came back with "WhO FaCt ChEcKs tHe FaCt ChEcKeRs." I was then blocked after I politely explained that there are verifiable sources in the article. It's really fucking frustrating and exhausting.
    I got blocked by a LEFT leaning friend for calmly and politely pointing out that an anti-GOP meme that he had posted was an already-debunked hoax. First he replied "so what", so I tried to explain that propagating fake news is not how we make progress against fake news - that we should strive to set a better example and hold ourselves to high standards. That's when the block came.

Blocked for being on his side, but respectfully suggesting that we're better served by being truthful than spreading false information. Some "friend".

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I posted a snopes link
    “Snopes is run by Libtards.” They also don’t believe anything on Wikipedia, or Politifact, and now they don’t even trust the Wall Street Journal (even though it’s owner is Rupert Murdoch).

My husband’s cousin passed along a meme the other day that said something like “NO, THIS ISN’T LIVE AID. IT’S PRESIDENT TRUMP’S RECENT RALLY IN PHILADELPHIA.”

But the photo clearly showed “LIVE AID” and “1985 WEMBLEY” on the stage.

I used the original photo on my iPhone to magnify those two elements of the photo (Wembley, Live Aid 1985) and G posted it on his cousin’s FB post with a comment that it CLEARLY WAS LIVE AID. She removed her original post.

A newer version pasted TRUMP campaign shit over the Live Aid stuff:

https://www.truthorfiction.com/trump-rally-vs-live-aid/
    Last edited by allegro; 06-04-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Trump has successfully done lasting damage just in the way he and his cohorts have ruined truth. It’s sad to see a growing number of leftists fighting lies with lies.

Maher has been wrong more and more lately, but this past week’s show was right on.
    Last edited by Swykk; 06-04-2019 at 12:04 PM.