Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Headphones and Amps and DACs... Oh My!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Received a balanced HD650 cable from Corpse Cable on eBay last night and finally gave it a listen...I can't believe how much better the HD6XX sound with this cable over single-ended. I recently upgraded my Schiit Vali 2 to a Jotenheim and am blown away by the additional detail and clarity this amp provides. The Modi Multibit continues to impress me so much. It's the best DAC I've ever heard and it's hard to believe the Gungnir Multibit (my next upgrade) is even more precise and detailed. NIN is especially wonderful to listen to with all of the little details and layers to discover. I can't believe how many new things I've heard since upgrading my audio game over the last year.
    I’m just getting into this and I totally agree. Great on any equipment but so much more is there the more clear it is.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I’m just getting into this and I totally agree. Great on any equipment but so much more is there the more clear it is.
    Nice! It really is incredible to hear (lossless) recordings you've listened to hundreds of times again after listening through a decent DAC, amp, and headphones. So many scoff at Hi-Fi and audiophiles as they crank Spotify or Apple Music and put on their Beats to impress people they don't know at the gym and on Instagram but I'd much rather re-experience a loved recording for the first time as close to how it was intended through quality equipment.

What's your setup?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    YES! I just won a Gungnir delta sigma on eBay for $580 shipped! It'd be about $890 shipped from Schiit's website so that's a nice savings AND it's fully upgradable so in a few months when I've got $500 saved up, I can ship it off to be upgraded for a grand total of $1080 spent plus whatever shipping to/from Schiit is, down from $1290 or so new.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    OMG this DAC is absolutely amazing. It blows the Modi Multbit out of the water and I thought the sound that DAC produced was incredible. There is even more data, better separation of instruments, and such a massive increase in bass impact. "Somewhat Damaged" sounds so sinister. This is giving me fully body goosebumps and keeps making me tear up from how incredible it sounds. I fucking love this hobby so much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Can someone recommend noice canceling headphones that are used $100. Something decent for airplane noice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If we're talking about high quality headphones, I would definitely choose Sony. Especially noise-cancelling headphones. And it also counts on Amps and receivers world. I've seen a model from Sony recently, called STR-DH790 ( right there: https://chooserator.com/best-av-receiver-under-500 ), and it was so outstanding, that I've got it. It has automatic calibration system developed by Sony itself. Not every manufacturer can provide such inner technical goods for their customers..
    Last edited by kenz87; 03-16-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofgod View Post
    Can someone recommend noice canceling headphones that are used $100. Something decent for airplane noice?
    https://sites.google.com/view/quipa/assistants

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Research into SACD players is confusing...

Am I correct that there is not a native DSD player for less than about $1500? The players look to be about $700-800 (Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Sony), but then you need a DAC/Amp that can support the audio which is equal in price. Are these price points accurate for Onkyo and Denon (I'm not familiar with these as much). The "all-in-one" players (just one component instead of two) look to be about $1999+ MSRP. Correct?

Also, a lot of the verbiage for some of the specifications is vague, especially since each brand has their own "lingo". I know DoP (DSD over PCM) is an option, but since I'm in the market for a new receiver, it'd still be about $1000-1200. So, the thing has to play native DSD, through a disc slot, as well as HDCD decoding (this is a huge one as the vast majority of Grateful Dead stuff is HDCD). I know Sony has the patent for the DSD technology, does that mean any of them over a certain dollar amount can passthrough native DSD if I have a DAC which can decode it?

I'm also planning on getting a PS2 for ripping/extracting purposes...

I realize this is all over the place; I'm really looking for some guidance. I'd like to spend no more than $1500, but if that's not possible, I'd really just like a breakdown of which direction to go (I'd like to stick with Sony, Marantz, or Cambridge Audio if possible).

ETA: And De-Emphasis!#@$
    Last edited by Jon; 02-18-2020 at 01:15 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    If you need to get a separate DAC anyway, one option would be just to rip the SACDs and then stream the files to the DAC - that is, don't use an SACD player at all. Depending on the DAC, and what you use for streaming duties (plenty of good options that cost less and are more versatile than an SACD player), you can use DSD direct or DoP - I do the latter since my DAC is a little old and won't take DSD direct, down sampling on the fly to 24/192, since that's the most it can handle.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofgod View Post
    I got a pair of Sony WH-CH700N's a few months ago and they have been outstanding. $150 new, battery lasts for about 25 hours with noise-cancelling on, 50 without.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Can anyone recommend me some good stereo gaming headphones for PS4 pro ? I was going to get the latest astro 50 4th generation but they got terrible reviews. Anyone with some feedback or any recommendations. My budget is 300-400 price range ?

i have some goood sennhieser digital headphones I use for music but going for some gaming ones now
    Last edited by Rdm; 03-24-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    Can anyone recommend me some good stereo gaming headphones for PS4 pro ? I was going to get the latest astro 50 4th generation but they got terrible reviews. Anyone with some feedback or any recommendations. My budget is 300-400 price range ?

i have some goood sennhieser digital headphones I use for music but going for some gaming ones now
    Astro A50 4th gen are 9/10 most places I'm looking; what'd ya see?

There's really no reason to pay more than $150, unless you're wanting something you can literally ball up, like the Audeze Mobius. 40mm drivers and 7.1 capability is what you're looking for (even though you want stereo):

I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic MMX300 or the Corsair RGB Elite (whatever they're called); they're both $150-$200. You'd get way more spending another $150 on a Sound BlasterX AE-5 than you would adding to your headphone budget.

ETA: For clarity, I understand you said PS4. My point is there's no reason to spend $400 on gaming headphones.
    Last edited by Jon; 03-25-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my audiotechnica headphones are lovely, but the ear cups are starting to shed. really wish they could find a material that wouldn't do this but also is pleasant on one's skin.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my audiotechnica headphones are lovely, but the ear cups are starting to shed. really wish they could find a material that wouldn't do this but also is pleasant on one's skin.
    Brainwavez

Sheepskin, Faux Leather, Velour, Hybrid... if you can find them, the angled velour pads should be right up your alley. Make sure you're buying the ATH-M ones. They have "HM5" ones, which will fit, but are not made for the headphones and affects the soundstage negatively.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Brainwavez

Sheepskin, Faux Leather, Velour, Hybrid... if you can find them, the angled velour pads should be right up your alley. Make sure you're buying the ATH-M ones. They have "HM5" ones, which will fit, but are not made for the headphones and affects the soundstage negatively.
    thank you! <3

also, for only the second time ever, Honey gave me a coupon that actually worked! saved an extra couple bucks!
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 03-25-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    weird question about over-the-ear headphones that I've only been noticing lately: it feels like there's a hair tickling my ears after about 20 minutes or so of listening. I have two different over-the-ear headphones, one the MDR-1ADAC and one the WH-XB900N wireless, and it happens in both. is there a reason something is tickling my ears? I always take them off and check the pads but they're fine. again it's a weird thing to notice but I was reminded of it when I saw this thread again.

side note: I wish the cables for the 1ADAC were cheaper. Just to get a replacement lightning cable is >$100.
    Brainwavez

Nice. I was looking for new pads for said 1ADAC and they have some that should work.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    weird question about over-the-ear headphones that I've only been noticing lately: it feels like there's a hair tickling my ears after about 20 minutes or so of listening. I have two different over-the-ear headphones, one the MDR-1ADAC and one the WH-XB900N wireless, and it happens in both. is there a reason something is tickling my ears? I always take them off and check the pads but they're fine. again it's a weird thing to notice but I was reminded of it when I saw this thread again.

side note: I wish the cables for the 1ADAC were cheaper. Just to get a replacement lightning cable is >$100.Nice. I was looking for new pads for said 1ADAC and they have some that should work.
    i mean it's entirely possible it's your own hair/ear hair that gets compressed/moved around while wearing the headphones ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but i can't say for sure

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    that is definitely something I had not considered. can you manscape your ears?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

side note: I wish the cables for the 1ADAC were cheaper. Just to get a replacement lightning cable is >$100.Nice. I was looking for new pads for said 1ADAC and they have some that should work.
    if you want a laugh look up "custom balanced headphone cable" on MoonAudio. $1000? What a steal!

As someone that's 35, I didn't experience that constant tickling sensation till I was 32 or so. You're an old, hairy human... sorry.

I mentioned them above, but angled earpads are great for little quirks such as that.

that is definitely something I had not considered. can you manscape your ears?
    Those electric razors with all of the attachments are fucking great. I know, I know, electric, but for real though.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    if you want a laugh look up "custom balanced headphone cable" on MoonAudio. $1000? What a steal!

As someone that's 35, I didn't experience that constant tickling sensation till I was 32 or so. You're an old, hairy human... sorry.
    lol, it's true that I'm having issues with hair in places I didn't previously.
    I mentioned them above, but angled earpads are great for little quirks such as that.
    OK, that's an option to look at.
    Those electric razors with all of the attachments are fucking great. I know, I know, electric, but for real though.
    well, as I shave with a safety razor I have to say that electric would be MUCH more preferable to my becoming van Gogh.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Jon

Thank you this is a fantastic response. I’ll look into the ones you suggest

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Ok question time. My budget is limited.
    Sony MDR7506 or AudioTechnica ATH-M20x?

Alternatives suggestions will be considered if they're <$100. Thanks!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Buy both, test them, return the pair you like least - only way to go with audio stuff.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Ok question time. My budget is limited.
    Sony MDR7506 or AudioTechnica ATH-M20x?

Alternatives suggestions will be considered if they're <$100. Thanks!
    FYC, you can also get Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's for $99 before tax and shipping.

All of these are good choices, the only thing I would point out is that the Audio Technica ones can obtained for $50. The M30x and M40x both fall under or at $100 as well. If bulk and clamp is an issue, I'd go with Audio Technica though all of these options are towards the middle on the spectrum.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I second this.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

All of these are good choices, the only thing I would point out is that the Audio Technica ones can obtained for $50. The M30x and M40x both fall under or at $100 as well. If bulk and clamp is an issue, I'd go with Audio Technica though all of these options are towards the middle on the spectrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I second this.
    Soooo, the Sennheiser HD 280 would be better than the Sony? The AudioTechnica ATH-M20x are indeed much cheaper at $49 on Amazon, but I'm ok spending $100.
    I can actually get the Sennheiser ones faster because it's a private seller/ not Prime.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Soooo, the Sennheiser HD 280 would be better than the Sony?
    I can't say with that exact model, but the Sonys I've had in the past are decent. The Sennheiser HD 280s are pretty nice though, especially for the price.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Gah! I keep going between different models and can't make up my mind. I just want something that's good for listening to music off my computer while I work, because the earbuds are not working.

Fuck it. I went ahead and ordered the ATH-M20x. Will see how they go. I'm not a super audiophile, but I just want something better than what I have currently.
    Last edited by Magnetic; 03-31-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Gah! I keep going between different models and can't make up my mind. I just want something that's good for listening to music off my computer while I work, because the earbuds are not working.

Fuck it. I went ahead and ordered the ATH-M20x. Will see how they go. I'm not a super audiophile, but I just want something better than what I have currently.
    as someone who has had sony, sennheiser, and audiotechnica, AT is my preference. best sound reproduction, least ear fatigue, and the comfiest.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Thank you for helping me feel better about my decision.