Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Patriots Day (2016)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Wait, what?

I didn't give two shits about the FYC version before. But you're telling me it's over half an hour longer than the official release?

Innnnnnnteresting...
    Indeed! To be fair, I found the FYC version a bit boring, as it includes a lot of droning (which I'm sure works for the film but less so for casual listening). For that reason, the official release is certainly better pound for pound, but I'm curious to listen to just the stuff that didn't make the release. I may figure it out on my own and post it somewhere, but I'm surprised someone hasn't done it already.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Indeed! To be fair, I found the FYC version a bit boring, as it includes a lot of droning (which I'm sure works for the film but less so for casual listening). For that reason, the official release is certainly better pound for pound, but I'm curious to listen to just the stuff that didn't make the release. I may figure it out on my own and post it somewhere, but I'm surprised someone hasn't done it already.
    I was having a hard time following which film Atticus was talking about in the Collider interview that was recently posted here, but at one point he made it sound like the score for Patriots Day was 114 minutes, vs the 68 minutes of the actual release. But then he and Trent both spoke about how the movie was constantly changing, and they had to score it in such a way that things could be edited very quickly and still be coherent. So having not heard the FYC version, my guess is that it's a more raw version that contains the maximum amount of content they scored, whereas the official release is just that - the "official" finished score, edited as they saw fit.

That's my interpretation based on that interview, anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think he meant 114 minutes of a 134 minute film featured score. The FYC does clock in at 1hr 43min or so, right?

It's a shame the FYC is clipped so badly. I've thought about running it through Izotope to see if the clipping can be removed.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I just stopped by to say "Terminus" - carry on.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    With regards to the FYC versus the final release: the FYC is exactly the music used in the film, right down to exact track lengths. The FYC tracks are all versions/adaptations/sections of the final tracks. There is nothing altogether new on the FYC that isn't on the final version.
    Some are exactly the same as the final versions but much shittier quality as FYC discs aren't made for audio fidelity but rather to give those voting a picture of the music used in the film.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I just stopped by to say "Terminus" - carry on.
    Quake + Closure DVD menu

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycguy View Post
    Quake + Closure DVD menu
    I don't think I've heard the Closure DVD menu music. How long does it go for?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    ...as FYC discs aren't made for audio fidelity but rather to give those voting a picture of the music used in the film.
    I completely understand the concept, I just... don't agree with the execution. I'll leave it there because it is what it is.

So anywho,

Which tracks contain the Folktek Luminist Garden? I know I heard the clicking/knocking in "Long Shadows On The Street".

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    So, I have tried to buy this album from Tidal around twenty times, but each time it brings up an error and won't let me purchase it. Is there any other option for lossless? I've always gotten everything in lossless, and while I DEFINITELY appreciate all of this new music, I can't help but find the release of almost every bit of it to be extremely anti-consumer. It's almost as if they don't want you to listen to it, and that really disappoints me, because the music itself is amazing.

Anyway, there's my rant.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    never heard about this ugly tidal wtf flac is 18€ and mp3 10€ ? what the fuck does that mean ? Nobody explained them that FLAC was just 1990's CD ?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    never heard about this ugly tidal wtf flac is 18€ and mp3 10€ ? what the fuck does that mean ? Nobody explained them that FLAC was just 1990's CD ?
    It's because Tidal is a shitty company. Their website is atrocious, their pricing is abhorrent, and their philosophy from the get go was to force people to use their service by having popular artists release their music with them exclusively. Everything about them is scummy, but they're the only option for this album in lossless that I know of.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    So, I have tried to buy this album from Tidal around twenty times, but each time it brings up an error and won't let me purchase it. Is there any other option for lossless? I've always gotten everything in lossless, and while I DEFINITELY appreciate all of this new music, I can't help but find the release of almost every bit of it to be extremely anti-consumer. It's almost as if they don't want you to listen to it, and that really disappoints me, because the music itself is amazing.

Anyway, there's my rant.
    Just wait a little bit until it's up for sale on store.nin.com.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    NIN store's always been my policy, regardless of the varying degrees of shittiness in the third-party distributor. It's worth it for a day 1 download in a package Trent's signed off on, with the money going primarily to the artist.

Can't continue that policy now though - Before The Flood is priced four times as much as a lossless copy from 7Digital, for the benefit of a bonus vinyl that I can't play. I'm also in the unhappy position of having waited seven+ years for a deluxe/remastered/nipple-tickled Fragile, only to find I can't afford it. Not anticipating a vinyl-free option for Patriot's Day on NIN.com anytime soon, that makes me a sad panda.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    It's because Tidal is a shitty company. Their website is atrocious, their pricing is abhorrent, and their philosophy from the get go was to force people to use their service by having popular artists release their music with them exclusively. Everything about them is scummy, but they're the only option for this album in lossless that I know of.
    It's not just Tidal though, major digital stores like Beatport and Junodownload all rape you with lossless. Both actually tack an extra amount on per track. Beatport is 75 cents per track. So a 14 track album that was originally $9.99 for MP3 is now $9.99 + (75 cents × 14), which becomes $20.49 total. The more tracks, the more screwed you get. There's no reason for this price gouging crap. A digital file is a digital file. HDTracks and ProStudioMasters are all up there in price.

I personally prefer Qobuz.com for lossless music, good pricing even for 24 bit music. A single purchase price gives me unlimited downloads to various formats of my choice too.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    It's not just Tidal though, major digital stores like Beatport and Junodownload all rape you with lossless. Both actually tack an extra amount on per track. Beatport is 75 cents per track. So a 14 track album that was originally $9.99 for MP3 is now $9.99 + (75 cents × 14), which becomes $20.49 total. The more tracks, the more screwed you get. There's no reason for this price gouging crap. A digital file is a digital file. HDTracks and ProStudioMasters are all up there in price.

I personally prefer Qobuz.com for lossless music, good pricing even for 24 bit music. A single purchase price gives me unlimited downloads to various formats of my choice too.
    seriously, you can't find a better word to use? "screw", "destroy", "take advantage of"?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    What? I did use the word screw...
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    The more tracks, the more screwed you get.
    See?

Now using the same word twice would be lazy.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The problem with being offended by that particular turn of phrase is that it's synonyms mean the exact same thing figuratively. "Screwed" and "fucked" both imply that you didn't want it under the circumstances.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I don't think I've heard the Closure DVD menu music. How long does it go for?
    They're just little snippets. You can download them compiled into one track here:
    http://www.nindestruct.com/music.html

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    They're just little snippets. You can download them compiled into one track here:
    IDK how I havent seen that site until now, but thats badass.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I completely understand the concept, I just... don't agree with the execution. I'll leave it there because it is what it is.

So anywho,

Which tracks contain the Folktek Luminist Garden? I know I heard the clicking/knocking in "Long Shadows On The Street".
    I don't agree with the execution either. It's lazy.
    As for the LG, it's a lot more prevalent on the GG score.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    IDK how I havent seen that site until now, but thats badass.
    Pretty sure I compiled that track. It was originally on Remix.nin.com.

I have a "lossless" file if interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interested.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Interested too!

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Just wanted to chime in that I really appreciate that TR + AR use the Swarmatron so readily in their scores. Or, it may be just some other modular gear, but the out of tune notes make me want to think otherwise. I think it's great that they incorporate some very abstract pieces of instruments from what a traditional movie score would use. Also, that link that either the nin or TR's twitter posted about some of the recording processes they use, or how they got inspiration for tracks was nice to see such insight. I know I am a fan, but I do admire what TR and AR do to create such great/quality music.

Haven't seen the movie yet. But I am looking forward to watching it this weekend after listening to this score pretty much on loop since I got it. OK, WAYYY too much rambling by me. Back to lurking! Bye!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecirb View Post

Interested!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecirb View Post

Interested too, thanks

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Oh now that's embarrassing. Would you believe the whole reason I started making NIN websites was to distribute those terrible S3M "remixes"? Ah, the pretentiousness of youth. I had no real concept of pitch back then.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Awesome! Was anything done similarly for the AATCHB menu music? And how do we tag it?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Awesome! Was anything done similarly for the AATCHB menu music? And how do we tag it?
    I just copy and pasted them end to end with audacity for a multi-disc complete Fragile set I worked on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0lsjqmdp1...ATCHB.mp3?dl=0

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    I just copy and pasted them end to end with audacity for a multi-disc complete Fragile set I worked on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0lsjqmdp1...ATCHB.mp3?dl=0
    Thanks for this! Does anyone have the menumusic for BYIT?