Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Patriots Day (2016)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've listened to the score all the way through twice now—it's fairly gut-churning, at times moving, and occasionally beautiful. Certainly my favorite since TSN.

I'm saddened we aren't seeing a dedicated physical release.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    This will (eventually) be released on vinyl and high resolution digital. A decision was made to hold off for now to avoid a repeat of last month's shitshow while the situation is being rectified.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Awesome news! Thanks for the heads up.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    can't wait so send Trent more money for more vinyls
    still waiting for BTF and all the reissues but hey, maybe I'll get it someday.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Maybe Lakeshore will be cool enough to put out a CD like they did for Stranger Things (and others). Fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    "Terminus" sounds like something @kleiner352 would like. Awesome track.

Edit: Spelling.
    Wow, you weren't kidding. That's ... incredible. Like the most claustrophobic moments from Gone Girl went and had a weird inbred child with something off of Deviations 1 and got vomited up inside of a level to Quake.

Needless to say, I love it.

This whole score is really interesting to listen to so far, especially without proper context of the film it's all from. You can hear so many of the similar headspaces TR&AR were in while making this and Before the Flood around the same time and yet it just makes what separates them that much clearer and easier to appreciate. Berg is definitely lucky to have landed these guys for this thing.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teitan View Post
    This will (eventually) be released on vinyl and high resolution digital. A decision was made to hold off for now to avoid a repeat of last month's shitshow while the situation is being rectified.
    Trent, is NTAE halo 29?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm liking this score quite a bit. I think it's just what I needed; a counter to the anxiety I'm feeling about the cluster-fuck happening in DC this week. . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teitan View Post
    I can appreciate the restraint. I'm sad that CD releases are pretty much dead, though!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I'm going to hold off buying it from iTunes in hopes a vinyl version becomes available at the NIN store. I hate waiting I want to listen to it now.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I'm going to hold off buying it from iTunes in hopes a vinyl version becomes available at the NIN store. I hate waiting I want to listen to it now.
    Your question was answered right on this page. Second post!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Your question was answered right on this page. Second post!
    but when I ask when I will get the dreaded, "soon".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFLRICK View Post
    I can appreciate the restraint. I'm sad that CD releases are pretty much dead, though!
    I dread the day when NIN release an album that (not owning a record player) I can't hold. I can understand it to a certain extent with soundtracks, where there is a more limited appeal, and economies of scale play a part, but NIN....just unthinkable.

Have it on Spotify but have bought it from Amazon UK so I can still burn it, hopefully all 5 soundtracks will fit on one lovely shiny mp3 disc for my car.....

Loving the album as always.....the FYC was crazy long, whereas the conciseness of this in comparison is great - literally no filler. Could well rival TSN as their best soundtrack for that very reason.

For those who know the FYC - there are some apparently late embellishments to those tracks that add that extra oomph - the extra keyboard stabs in The Place You Are Right Now are just sublime, the new end to Escape is INTENSE, and the discordance at the end of Long Shadows on the Street is bizarrely engaging. It feels like this is the adult version to the PG rated FYC.....there's definitely more guitar on here than I was expecting (or keyboards processed to sound like one...)! Maybe they were finishing this off around the time that NTAE was being recorded and he got the inclination to add some guitar to the final mix...

Got 6 weeks to wait until I see it in it's proper framework....I'm a very rare cinema goer, but I've never missed a Trent/Atticus film to date...
    Last edited by simonn; 01-13-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Now that AR is a member of Nine Inch Nails, why are these soundtracks still being done under TR/AR?

I retag them as Nine Inch Nails in my Walkman, even going back to TSN.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycguy View Post
    Now that AR is a member of Nine Inch Nails, why are these soundtracks still being done under TR/AR?

I believe Trent explained the reasoning behind that in an interview a couple years. He said something about how the film scores are coming from a different place than the music he does for Nine Inch Nails, so it doesn't make sense to label it as Nine Inch Nails music.

(Feel free to correct me if you're listening in, Trent.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I bought the FLAC version from the Tidal download store for $18, but some of the tracks won't download and they won't let you initiate a download more than once. Man that service SUCKS. Credit card dispute time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't understand the rationale behind not releasing a CD of this (assuming that Lakeshore doesn't come through at a later date). There are tons of new soundtrack CD releases every month, so to imply that there's no market for it is laughably false. And a soundtrack by Trent Reznor has cross-over appeal between NIN fans and soundtrack afficionados, so it's especially weird in comparison.

Vinyl, while growing compared to how low it was before, still doesn't touch CD sales. And something like this so clearly exists in the digital world, so even the most optimistic viewpoints about vinyl's audio fidelity are rendered moot. Having a vinyl version in addition to a CD? Cool, I don't want to deprive vinyl fans. But not having the CD at all?

I. Just. Don't. Get. It.
    Last edited by bevilacq12; 01-13-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    So how is it? Can't wait to listen after work. Will feel especially great after 7 hours of playing bullshit pop and dance music for a bunch of retards.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Just watched the movie. Holy fuck what a heavy movie to watch, and the score added so much to film.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    In 1996, TR was Nine Inch Nails. Why was Quake (and the Lost Highway score tracks) done under TR?

And now you have your answer.

And that's wrong.

Wait, did you just say Walkman?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Wait, did you just say Walkman?
    I have a Walkman too. They're digital players now, you know.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    How does the official release compare to the FYC version?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So, the official release is 12 tracks long? I thought they had composed some gargantuan amount of music for the film. Left on the 'cutting room floor'? I will be listening soon!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Dammit, the scores keep coming too fast! I haven't learned much of BTF yet..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    So what is all the leftover music from the original 2-CD FYC set that leaked last month? Outtakes?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    So what is all the leftover music from the original 2-CD FYC set that leaked last month? Outtakes?
    Actually, many tracks are partitioned into more than two parts, ex) original theme + alternate piano ending.
    I haven't compared the released score to the FYC one-to-one yet, but I think they just tweaked the original soundtrack to match the length of the length of movie scenes, etc, as it was finished in a rush to meet the deadline.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 01-13-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This stuff is seeming even darker than a lot of Dragon Tattoo, wow. Broken Glass and Nobody Cares About me feel flat-out nasty. I'm really into it, and it's only deepening my desire to hear TR/AR do the score for Kojima's Death Stranding.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Only up to "The Place You Are Right Now" - really dig it. ^^ Can't wait.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm at the same spot. This is great.

Hoping for a vinyl release. Looks like we've got another "insider" here. I dare not ask if he's legit...don't want to start another witch hunt.

Do people really still buy CDs? I mean I guess I can understand if you're a TR complesionist and you want to own everything. But as far as physical releases go, vinyl is the way. The beauty of taking a fresh new record, putting it on the turntable and having the artwork like it's meant to be beats some flimsy little cd any day. Imo of course.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I love how it all bleeds together. "The Night Drive" is amazing.