Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Coachella 2019 or Most Festivals Suck Now

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I doubt its an age thing. I think 20 year olds with good taste in music would also agree this is a shit lineup.....Juno was 16 and her favorite band was the raw power of Iggy and the Stooges for god sake.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I doubt its an age thing. I think 20 year olds with good taste in music would also agree this is a shit lineup.....Juno was 16 and her favorite band was the raw power of Iggy and the Stooges for god sake.
    As a mid-20s guy who keeps up with pop music: yeah, this lineup is shit.

EDIT: That said, I count 25 bands that I enjoy in this lineup, so it could still be worse.
    Last edited by zecho; 01-03-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I guess the distinction I'd make is that back in the day (woo hoo!), festivals weren't quite the thing to get excited about until you knew who was playing.

Anyway, if I sit around much longer I'm bound to lose track of things and I'll be late for Bingo.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Music, in general, has become much shitty.
    I'd be more inclined to say what's popular has become more shitty. The good stuff is still all over but just not on the big bill at Coachella.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    I'd be more inclined to say what's popular has become more shitty. The good stuff is still all over but just not on the big bill at Coachella.
    True statement. Thus it's much harder to find good music. It's buried deep. I just miss the days when I could discover new artists I'll eventually get to love - on the charts or at festivals.
    Generation Z and teens today care less about music, and I do blame internet and streaming.
    If you know how to appreciate it the tech is wonderful, but definitely more cons than pros.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Ugh! That lineup IS ruff.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    As a mid-20s guy who keeps up with pop music: yeah, this lineup is shit.

EDIT: That said, I count 25 bands that I enjoy in this lineup, so it could still be worse.
    Can confirm, "younger" people who actually go to concerts often and care about their music think this is shit. While the overwhelming majority of casual fans love it. So, in short, it's just a pop festival, while it used to be somewhat "indie", I guess. Same shit happening with Primavera Sound, for example, on a smaller scale.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    True statement. Thus it's much harder to find good music. It's buried deep. I just miss the days when I could discover new artists I'll eventually get to love - on the charts or at festivals.
    Generation Z and teens today care less about music, and I do blame internet and streaming.
    If you know how to appreciate it the tech is wonderful, but definitely more cons than pros.
    Amen to that. I stopped finding new stuff for a while and then realised I was fed up of the same old stuff. I get most of my new artists from BBC6 Music radio here in the UK now, and random bandcamp surfing, but so much stuff that's pushed down everyone's throats is just music as a product, cookie cutter disposable stuff that won't last the test of time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tame impala are the only ones who deserve that headline spot. They’ve been smashing it for a few years now, have a great live show and have new music coming out.. Was great seeing Trent giving them some recognition at panorama.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I don't think Coachella's shitty new lineup is really a culturally important barometer to gauge the quality of modern music by... this isn't a watershed moment. I think it might even largely be me just not being familiar with practically 90% of the names on there. That's a first time for me... usually I'd scan the small names and be pretty stoked. I have no fucking idea who these people are, but that's on me really. I can't say if they're good or not.... but the headliners outside of Aphex Twin and Tame Impala, and maybe I'd like to check out Weezer, Diplo...

I think the festival knows their audience at this point, and what it's primarily morphed into over the years. Last few times I went, it seemed as if most people were there for the experience, the festival, and mostly unconcerned with who was playing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    And Coachella is sold out...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    And Coachella is sold out...
    Like there was any doubt... It's amazing, who plays doesn't really matters in the end.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Same shit happening with Primavera Sound, for example, on a smaller scale.
    I've been at Primavera just three years ago (2015). There were Interpol, Underworld, The Replacements, Einsturzende Neubauten, Tori Amos, The Soft Moon, Thurston Moore, Swans, DFA1979, Earth, Earthless, White Hills, Exxasens, Electric Wizard, Sunn O))), Patti Smith, Eels... Pretty fucking impressive, if you ask me. Did they go south that fast?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    Like there was any doubt... It's amazing, who plays doesn't really matters in the end.
    It's a social gathering event both for "street cred" and idiots to spam instagram with. This will always be one of my favorite videos (real or not):

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    That's what bothers me the most about this. It would sell out regardless of the bands, so why fill it up with a bunch of soundcloud djs? It would be sold out if it was good music too.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I've been at Primavera just three years ago (2015). There were Interpol, Underworld, The Replacements, Einsturzende Neubauten, Tori Amos, The Soft Moon, Thurston Moore, Swans, DFA1979, Earth, Earthless, White Hills, Exxasens, Electric Wizard, Sunn O))), Patti Smith, Eels... Pretty fucking impressive, if you ask me. Did they go south that fast?
    Yes. It's gradual, but don't worry it will be dead (for some of us) if nothing changes.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    we're just not the target demo anymore, guys. salivating over past line-ups is nostalgia stuff. you knew you were going to hate it, just like last year (when beyonce KILLED IT) and the year before (when lady gaga did the same thing).

just don't go.
    Last edited by kel; 01-05-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    we're just not the target demo anymore, guys. salivating over past line-ups is nostalgia stuff. you knew you were going to hate it, just like last year (when beyonce KILLED IT) and the year before (when lady gaga did the same thing).

just don't go.
    This is true. Hundred's of festivals to choose from in this day and age, too many actually. There's a festival out there for everyone, and this one just caters to the 16-22 yr old demographic of today. There are festivals out there that cater to those yearning for the "good old days" just gotta pick your poison. Hellfest in France looks like it's a festival straight out of 1979 or 1985 and I'm sure there are a bunch of 50 yr olds out there who couldn't be more excited, while coachella's demographic wouldn't give 2 shits about it.

As someone else pointed out earlier when it sold out. The organizers know their demographic. They knew it was going to sell out, they weren't worried.

There was a time where I looked forward to January of every year to see the announcement of coachella. It usually signified the start of festival season. Now, there is no need to wait for coachella's lineup to be released because festival season has become a "year round" thing now. Every other week a new one is being announced. There's something for everyone out there, and this festival frankly is not catered to the average "rock" fan.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Weekend 2 passes are still available (regular passes for AMEX cardholders; shuttle combo passes for general sale), so I'm not sure why they're pushing a sold out narrative. It's pretty clear that Weekend 1 is the only one most people care about though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    This is true. Hundred's of festivals to choose from in this day and age, too many actually. There's a festival out there for everyone, and this one just caters to the 16-22 yr old demographic of today. There are festivals out there that cater to those yearning for the "good old days" just gotta pick your poison. Hellfest in France looks like it's a festival straight out of 1979 or 1985 and I'm sure there are a bunch of 50 yr olds out there who couldn't be more excited, while coachella's demographic wouldn't give 2 shits about it.

As someone else pointed out earlier when it sold out. The organizers know their demographic. They knew it was going to sell out, they weren't worried.

There was a time where I looked forward to January of every year to see the announcement of coachella. It usually signified the start of festival season. Now, there is no need to wait for coachella's lineup to be released because festival season has become a "year round" thing now. Every other week a new one is being announced. There's something for everyone out there, and this festival frankly is not catered to the average "rock" fan.
    Most of the Metal Festivals I care about are in Europe. Wacken Open Air, Graspop Metal Meeting and Bloodstock are the ones I enjoy the most and I doubt I'd ever attend one.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Most of the Metal Festivals I care about are in Europe. Wacken Open Air, Graspop Metal Meeting and Bloodstock are the ones I enjoy the most and I doubt I'd ever attend one.
    Yeah, I want to go to Wacken or Graspop once in my life. Europe gets all the good stuff.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    They do like their metal over on the other side of the pond, don’t they? It seems like heavier music is way more popular over there, outside some of the more mainstream acts such as Metallica.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    They do like their metal over on the other side of the pond, don’t they? It seems like heavier music is way more popular over there, outside some of the more mainstream acts such as Metallica.
    Most of the metal in Europe (aside from the UK) isn't tailored to mainstream play rules so there's lot more variety, extremities and styles.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Despite my disdain for the majority of it, there are still lots of great bands and artists on there. Aphex, Tame Impala, Khruangbin, Four Tet, The 1975, Jon Hopkins, Hot Since 82, Ross From Friends, Mac Demarco, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, I went to Leeds 2016 when there were less artists on the bill I liked than this. If in another reality I was from the USA and that group of artists constituted one day of Coachella I’d definitely go.

Aren’t Coachella usually the ones who end up having a band on who have reformed which makes it such a big sell?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    there were a few years where you could go catch Coachella acts between weekends in Vegas at small venues. was a good thing. this batch doesn't look like it would be worth the effort for that even. i do like Tame Impala plenty but wish they would do more non festival shows. they've kind of done it to death.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Rock festivals in the UK seem to be taken more seriously and taken to heart by the people running them than what we're seeing here. There are even prog rock festivals with lineups I'd drool over that are in decently sized locations, but probably couldn't sell out a bingo hall here.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    it’s not even that bad of a line-up; janelle monae, solange, and even ariana grande are acts i’d pay to see. it’s not fucking daft punk in a huge pyramid or madonna in a tent, but it’s not awful.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    You couldn't pay me to go to this festival. Or any other in fact.

This one came close to tempting me though, I must admit.

That said I won't knock any line-up like the one we are mainly discussing, especially if it can draw a crowd which clearly it has.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Ha! I worked Bonnaroo 2008 for my old radio station. Got the royal treatment all weekend: backstage access almost everywhere at the fest, free food & drink, we interviewed a few artists, had access to decent enough private bathrooms & showers, and the big key: we slept in an air conditioned tour bus with individual bunks. That was clutch b/c it was hot as fuck that weekend, and as I'm sure it is most Bonnaroos down in Tennessee in the middle of June.

I'm not trying to show off, it's just one of my happiest memories b/c everything about that weekend was kinda surreal so I love talking about it. It was a bit of a whirlwind. I was there with my old boss and we separated for large portions of each day. He's alot older and was really only there to meet up with his new gf right after his divorce. So I was alone for the first time at a festival, and had never been to one this big with this insane of a lineup, and away from home.

I remember seeing Mastodon early on Friday, one of the few heavy acts there. Vampire Weekend played Thursday night late I believe, right as they were blowing up (same thing with MGMT). Thursday was cool b/c it was like a small soft launch to the festival, with only a few acts & only a fraction of the crowd.

I saw Sigur Ros at 1am in a tent. One of Bonnaroo's best aspects is the lack of curfew. Their performance of Festival with the additional choir members is one of my favorite live performances ever. I watched Tiesto, MGMT, The Raconteurs & The Sword from sidestage.

Hung out with Back Door Slam. Seeing Chris Rock prelude Metallica with comedy for a few minutes and then literally introduce them was crazy. I sat next to two younger girls who didn't know any of their material but felt like they should watch them b/c they're Metallica, and then were terrified.

Kirt came out much later that night at like 12 or 1am with My Morning Jacket and did a few songs. MMJ's performance that weekend turned me into a fan....closest thing to a jam band I listen to. Rained a bit throughout their set which made it even cooler.

Was able to lie my way backstage for Pearl Jam, and got to watch them from an elevated little stage on the side behind the band. Seeing all those people (80,000 or so) on the field from that angle was insane. Janeane Garofalo helped a drunken Eddie Vedder change shirts during a guitar solo b/c he was wasted on red wine (shocker) and spilled it on himself. Can see the crowd pretty well at times here:

And then the kicker right after this was waiting literally till 4am for Kanye to finally fucking perform that "night" while that shithead demanded his entire, intricate stage be built for him after PJ tore down. He wouldn't go on until it was ready. I am friends till this day with that shitty band Dispatch's manager b/c of how long we were sitting next to each other waiting for the show to start. He prolly performed for less than 20,000 people bc of it. Talk about surreal...he was still performing as the sun rose.

To cap the weekend off, I flew straight home on no sleep after Kanye and saw Iron Maiden that night at MSG. I was floating at this point I think, but I couldn't miss Maiden that go round b/c they were doing only 80's material.

One of the best weekends ever.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    That's awesome, @bobbie solo . All I got is that I saw Tiesto at a rave out in a field in Texas at like 4 am in 99 or so. I had eaten a lot of ecstacises, and it was one of my "favorite weekends."

Speaking of which, does anyone else miss circa 2000 massives? That was right at the point when it had gotten huge, but was still underground (party was all night, no corporate sponsors or advertising on the radio, etc.)

That was around the time of the FIRST Electric Daisy Carnival. Sorry if this is drift. It's just, those are the only kind of festivals I know about.

I saw pretty much every dnb act you can think of in those days, from kosheen, to bad company, Andy c, diesel boy/dara/ak1200, icey, Raymond Roker, Roni Size, Goldie, Mickey Finn, et al infinitum, and ventured out of the small tent for things like Tiesto, Simply Jeff, Robert Miles (ffs!), Rabbit in the Moon, etc- OH, and the occasional hip hop act that was cool enough to play a pseudo legal rave at 3 am. Jurassic Five did it more than once.

EDit: sorry, y'all. This might be the driftiest thing I've ever posted
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-09-2019 at 03:14 AM.