Page 32 of 113 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2020-21 - Epilogue

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    @botley , yeah Yosemite is a “made up word,” but so are all words, and the American president should know how to say it! Compared to all the awful shit he’s done, yes it’s silly to point at this... but I need to laugh at stuff or I’ll go crazy. This is like if he couldn’t pronounce “Mississippi” right.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    @botley , yeah Yosemite is a “made up word,” but so are all words
    You could just use the word that existed since time immemorial, Ahwahne, but by all means continue to pronounce it just like the racist Gold Rush prospectors who couldn't say that 150 years ago, and invented a baby-talk version instead. Keep America Great!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    You could just use the word that existed since time immemorial, Ahwahne, but by all means continue to pronounce it just like the racist Gold Rush prospectors who couldn't say that 150 years ago, and invented a baby-talk version instead. Keep America Great!
    Are you defending Trump by misdirecting to a totally different topic?

The point isn’t really about Yosemite.

You’re Canadian. I don’t think you grok this. Yosemite is THE biggest tourist destination in the United States. It has, as Trump mentions, “Old Faithful,” among other geological interests, flora and fauna. Every American child can read that word. It makes zero phonetic sense, but so do lots of other words so it has do be memorized. It requires comprehension while reading. That’s obviously NOT happening, here.

If Trump read “ Ahwahne,” exactly ZERO Americans (probably even living Native Americans) would know WTF he was talking about. True communication requires a message to be sent and understood by its intended audience.

But when he read “Old Faithful” and “Yo Semite” - ALL AMERICANS KNEW EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT. And they knew he was reading but not comprehending. Because there is an issue, there.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-05-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    But then again, that would take humility, which might be construed as a flavor of weakness. Instead, we got the show of strength that is the president of a whole country hosting a meeting—a meeting with the express purpose of discussing both how his country's National Park system is incredibly important and how he has, in his wisdom and stable genius, come up with the idea to revitalize it—in which it seems he knows little about his own nation, as he has evidently never seen in print or said aloud the name of one of its most famous places. A place which is actually a solid economic driver for its state and is pretty consistently ranked as the one of the very best destinations to visit, for natives and foreign tourists alike.
    That’s my issue, here. I’m the last person to take issue with learning disabilities. My Mom and brother have dyslexia. I tutored children with reading problems. There’s no shame in it. I’ve also helped people with public speaking. I have a degree in communication.

My issue is that he doesn’t PRACTICE his speeches. It’s obvious. If he’d at least be COGNIZANT of this issue, he could HIDE this issue. But he obviously sees it as a weakness. If he read the speech in advance, practiced, they’d have highlighted that word or spelled it out phonetically for him so that he wouldn’t stumble. There are ways to ASSIST public speakers with these issues.

I’m using the word “issue” too much. And IDGAF. Sorry.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-05-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Are you defending Trump by misdirecting to a totally different topic?
    Did I defend him? No. Are we talking about a word that he used? Yes. That word has its origins in a genocide. Should anybody give a fuck how you pronounce it? I'm not sure, but people are making a deal about it because... it fills a news cycle, I guess?

I do see your point about how no one is correcting Trump, making him work, or coaching him to pretend like he understands things he says, but this is such a minor example.

You’re Canadian. I don’t think you grok this. Yosemite is THE biggest tourist destination in the United States. It has, as Trump mentions, “Old Faithful,” among other geological interests, flora and fauna. Every American child can read that word. It makes zero phonetic sense, but so do lots of other words (“Illinois” and “Des Plaines”) so it has do be memorized. It requires comprehension while reading. That’s obviously NOT happening, here.
    We're constantly inundated with American culture and media, and consequently I do know what Yosemite National Park refers to. Isn't the "Old Faithful" geyser in Yellowstone National Park (formerly home to Tukudika people)?

If Trump read “ Ahwahne,” exactly ZERO Americans (probably even living Native Americans) would know WTF he was talking about.
    So? It takes a few seconds to explain. The irony is that people 'correcting' his pronunciation don't realize any of this, as I pointed out. The American narrative has erased the word's origin.
    Last edited by botley; 08-05-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ.

We can have that discussion another time. Certainly.

But right now that’s like saying “he read petunia as PETALUNIA three times and Petunioideae is a subfamily of the flowering plant family Solanaceae, the nightshades!!!”

He misreads stuff ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!!

Last edited by allegro; 08-05-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Old Faithful is indeed in Yellowstone, @botley and I are "villagers" since we are from Kanata and Uluru is a freaking huuuuuuuge rock in Australia.

And technically, all words in every languages that ever existed are "made up". I'm a French lit BA, semantic is my friend so don't make me go all @Sesquipedalism on you all.

And Donald Trump is an ignorant fool. Even I know how to pronounce Yosemite.
    Last edited by marodi; 08-05-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I get where you’re going with this @botley, but I’m with @allegro here. I think you might not see it how we do because you didn’t live in the USA all your life. For a functioning adult who has lived his entire life in the USA, hugs the USA flag, says he’s the most patriotic person... and he can’t read the word “Yosemite?!” That would be like if he had a hard time saying “apple pie” or “baseball.”

I actually do think there’s something wrong with him, and when he goes around celebrating that he passed the “very hard” basic cognitive exam, it doesn’t help his case. Maybe he is hiding that he has a reading disability, maybe it’s much more serious. It’s even worse that he does it TWICE in a row though... if he just flubbed it once, but no, he repeats, as if to correct himself, and says it wrong again.

In a month, Trump will hold a rally and proudly say the word “Yosemite” correctly, and his supporters will lose their fucking minds applauding... just like they did when he managed to drink a glass of water with one hand
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-05-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It’s hilarious but I’ve never been in ONE of those national parks out west. Zero interest. NADA. Don’t wanna see a fucking geyser. (Yellowstone, I thought that’s where Yogi Bear lives.) Or a bunch of idiots camping. Or get eaten by a bear. I’ve gone skiing in the Sierra-Nevadas and I’m cool with that. And I can pronounce “Donner Pass.” LOL.

It’s what’s for dinner!

I CAN, however, tell you the Native American story about the Sleeping Bear and her cubs in northern Michigan and how they formed the Manitou islands! Every Michigan kid knows that!
    Last edited by allegro; 08-05-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    It’s hilarious but I’ve never been in ONE of those national parks out west. Zero interest.
    Everyone should see the Grand Canyon. It's insane, all of that part of Arizona, the Painted Desert etc... it's kind of mind blowing. I didn't expect to be as wowed as I was, especially because I remember seeing it as a kid and thinking it was "neat."

On that note, I haven't been to Yosemite since I was a little kid, and I have no memory of it. Maybe I never even was there; maybe everything I know is a lie. I still can spell it and say it out loud, and I know where it is.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

This press notice is purposefully vague but my wishful thinking is putting it here. <fingers crossed emoji>

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    not getting my hopes up

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    not getting my hopes up
    I know, I know...but fuck would it be nice.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    The first time I knew of Yosemite, was Yosemite Sam. I was a child of the 80s, and I grew up in the middle of nowhere.

Surely the Angry Cheeto had time in the 80s in between dragging his knuckles across the ground to watch a cartoon?

Regardless, I learned about ALL of the national parks in middle school. When I heard Yosemite, it all clicked for me. Not that hard. I'm fairly certain the kids who decided to drop out of school still knew how to pronounce that word.

I just makes my blood boil. The end game is that this flaming pile of shit doesn't care about anything.
    I would love to see his head on a pike.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, you interested in this, or maybe read the book? Or wrong thread? :-)

"The Comey Rule is an upcoming American drama miniseries based on the book A Higher Loyalty by former FBI director James Comey."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comey_Rule

(Btw, the title of this thread *is* changing, right? I am not losing my mind or something.)

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    (Btw, the title of this thread *is* changing, right? I am not losing my mind or something.)
    Well, 10 minutes, 15, 20 minutes later, they say, ‘Remember the first title of this thread?’ Not the first, but the tenth title. ‘Give us that again. Can you do that again?’ And you go: ...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Everyone should see the Grand Canyon.
    I’ve seen it from the air, many times.

I think everyone should see Niagara Falls, and the Great Lakes.

And Lake Tahoe.

I’m counting down until this “HUGE NYC AG ANNOUNCEMENT AT 11:30 am Eastern”

People are assuming it has something to do with Trump but others say NRA.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-06-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    others say NRA.
    Seems like the others are right...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I was hoping for indictments but I guess we have to hope this dissolution suit goes the way of the one against Trump Foundation.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Posting for the inevitable move to an NRA thread: I like to think that proving to the NRA members that they have been taken advantage of will make them realize it's a corrupt organization but the last four years realistically make me think they'll just increase their donations instead and make overt threats against the NY people involved.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I was hoping for indictments but I guess we have to hope this dissolution suit goes the way of the one against Trump Foundation.
    Seems like everyone was hoping this announcement would be about something different, and practically nobody has a prepared question to follow up without changing the subject.

Not sure how I feel about how this will play out. If there's a crime you need to go after it, and that's your job... but the very idea of dissolving the NRA is going to get some people to freak the fuck out... and those people are exactly the kind of people I'd rather not get riled up right now. It's going to land as "DEMONcrat New York Attorney General wants to take our guns away! They're going after Wayne!!"

And maybe it's just me, but "GUNS!" are the last thing I give a shit about right now.

EDIT: and yup, the NRA has made a brief statement framing this as a political attack on the NRA and [gun] rights.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-06-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    also twitter is ablaze with "what about the Clinton Foundation" posts.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    EDIT: and yup, the NRA has made a brief statement framing this as a political attack on the NRA and [gun] rights.
    LOL, of course. Except Wayne LaPierre is a piece of shit, who's been milking that "not-for-profit" organization dry for decades, living a CRAZY LAVISH lifestyle on the backs of stupid people. He should be IN PRISON.

The game is up. All of his abusive fraud is about to be fully disclosed.

Look, if the NY AG wants to go after the Clinton Foundation, GO RIGHT AHEAD. Any fraud ANYWHERE by ANYBODY should be investigated, FULLY. And the culprits must be punished.

But, let's not scream "politics" when the evidence is RIGHT THERE. LaPierre is FULL OF SHIT, he's a fucking CRIMINAL.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-06-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Trump 2020 - &quot;Person Woman Man Camera TV&quot;

the nra is not a non profit. they deserve what’s coming to them. remember maria butina? she’s the only one to face any punishment for what happened with the 2016 election. she’s the scape goat. she did her time and was quickly shipped back to russia where i’m sure she’s fighting for gun rights for her fellow russians. /s

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

and since I was recommended this link by twitter from last year: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1S30EQ

it's interesting in how it sets up today's announcement.
    Last edited by allegate; 08-06-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Wilson Woody Phillips... where do we get these names. Of COURSE Wilson Woody Phillips is high up in the NRA, and he probably has a curly handlebar mustachio and wears suspenders.

anyway, since this doesn't have anything to do with Trump, I guess maybe it's time to bring attention to Biden's newest gaffe where he's retweeted (by Trump) seemingly saying that Latinos are more diverse than black people.

Please, Biden, SHUT THE FUCK UP and just take the W.