Page 21 of 105 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Souls

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Double post as this is an amazing read from his drum programmer saying how Prince never made a mistake, and 'could play any instrument on the stage better than any of the band.' I got to this part and cracked up:

There was a rotating cast of sound men. He didn’t like it when the sound guy would tweak the mix while the band was performing; Prince could hear the mix change. The tour manager would try to bring in big-name engineers to mix his shows. I remember they brought in a guy who had just gotten off tour with Celine Dion, or someone like that, this guy who looked a bit like Darius Rucker, at the time when Hootie and the Blowfish were big. We’re doing a show at Paisley Park and halfway through, Prince says—over the PA—“Hootie, turn up my guitar.” Then, three quarters through, Prince says, “Hootie, you’re fired.”

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not trying to spread rumors, but it's being reported pretty far and wide now that his medical emergency a few nights ago on the plane was an overdose of Percocets. Not saying he didn't also have a crazy flu, but apparently influenza + Percocets is a nasty combo, obviously. Word was he was taking them to combat hip pain; I believe he had hip surgery back in like 2010 or something? Addictive shit...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i know this might sound strange, but some of you who are around my age my have had this same experience.
    My first (and probably most played) Prince album was the 1989 Batman album. I was 9 and that movie was the coolest fucking thing i had ever seen. I just could not believe it. And of course, the soundtrack was a must have.
    *EPIC FUCKING BROFIST WHICH SHATTERS CITY WINDOWS*

I have a long writeup for that 31 Days of Prince thread. This album is very likely responsible for setting me on the path to all the music I love today.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Double post as this is an amazing read from his drum programmer saying how Prince never made a mistake, and 'could play any instrument on the stage better than any of the band.' I got to this part and cracked up:

There was a rotating cast of sound men. He didn’t like it when the sound guy would tweak the mix while the band was performing; Prince could hear the mix change. The tour manager would try to bring in big-name engineers to mix his shows. I remember they brought in a guy who had just gotten off tour with Celine Dion, or someone like that, this guy who looked a bit like Darius Rucker, at the time when Hootie and the Blowfish were big. We’re doing a show at Paisley Park and halfway through, Prince says—over the PA—“Hootie, turn up my guitar.” Then, three quarters through, Prince says, “Hootie, you’re fired.”
    That is a really weird comment though... If a sound guy changes the Front of House sound (the sound that you're hearing in the audience), the band can't really tell. And unless you've dialed it in and run through a full set with the sound guy, he's probably going to at least adjust a thing or two here and there.

The sound guy is going to dial in your monitor wedges (which give the majority of what the musicians on stage are hearing) during sound check, and when the band is happy, he leaves them alone (unless someone in the band indicates that they need to hear more or less of something in their monitor).

So, it's a funny story, but it doesn't make much sense.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    So, it's a funny story, but it doesn't make much sense.
    He was PRINCE ... he knew EVERYTHING, heh.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Trent's heroes are going away...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    *EPIC FUCKING BROFIST WHICH SHATTERS CITY WINDOWS*

I have a long writeup for that 31 Days of Prince thread. This album is very likely responsible for setting me on the path to all the music I love today.
    "I've seen the future and it will be."

I cannot tell you how many times I played that album on cassette as a kid.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    @elevenism , for the longest time, the Batman ride at Six Flags Great America just north of Chicago played Prince's Batman theme throughout the Gotham City area where you waited in line to board, definitely the most fun line of any amusement park ride. Not sure if it's still there, I think they have since modified it.
    Still there as of 2013, LOL: https://vine.co/v/hOumXtZQMxa

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Chevy's tribute/ad...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Michelle McNamara, excellent true crime writer and wife of comedian Patton Oswalt passed away in her sleep at 46. They have one daughter.

Ugh. He must be shattered.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    "He was fireworks. He was art. He was the drugs that Nancy Reagan told you not to take."

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Oh man.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    Michelle McNamara, excellent true crime writer and wife of comedian Patton Oswalt passed away in her sleep at 46. They have one daughter.

Patton's my favorite working comic. They're kid's only 7. This is heartbreaking news. And so fucking young, just, good Christ. This year is pulling no punches with deaths regardless if they make sense or not. It's getting to where I check the news or open this thread and get extremely anxious.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post

Well, I'm about ready to get off this ride. Wake me up when it's fuckin' 2017.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    He's used dealing with depression in his work. I hope he has a good support system.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Awful. My condolences to Patton and his daughter. The day his new special came out. Fuck this year.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Patton's my favorite working comic. They're kid's only 7. This is heartbreaking news. And so fucking young, just, good Christ. This year is pulling no punches with deaths regardless if they make sense or not. It's getting to where I check the news or open this thread and get extremely anxious.
    My friends and I are all checking our pulses, ugh.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Yeah, I heard about Michelle McNamara earlier tonight. I had only read a little bit of her work (through one of Patton's tweets) and had wanted to read more. It seemed interesting.

Patton is my comedy hero so this hit me a bit hard tonight. Whatever that means, because obviously I didn't know her and I don't know him personally but his comedy has always spoken to me on a personal level, more than any other comedian. I feel so awful for him and especially his daughter. I can't even imagine what it must be like to lose your mom at the age of 7.

46 is way, WAY too young to go. Ugh. So incredibly sad. As emptydesk said, I hope they both have a good support system in place.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Whoops, for some reason the last post didn't show up. Yeah, that really sucks. Seemed like a very interesting person. Too young, though. =/
    Last edited by GrayscaleRain; 04-23-2016 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Post didn't show up? Person already noted.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    "I've seen the future and it will be."

I cannot tell you how many times I played that album on cassette as a kid.
    "give me the electric chair for all my future crimes"
    @orestes and @Shadaloo , i knew i couldn't be the only one.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Eric Clapton wrote this

"I'm so sad about the death of Prince, he was a true genius, and a huge inspiration for me, in a very real way....In the the eighties, I was out on the road in a massive downward spiral with drink and drugs, I saw Purple Rain in a cinema in Canada, I had no idea who he was, it was like a bolt of lightning!...
    In the middle of my depression, and the dreadful state of the music culture at that time it gave me hope, he was like a light in the darkness...
    I went back to my hotel, and surrounded by empty beer cans, wrote Holy Mother....
    I can't believe he's gone...."
    "Holy Mother" is a great song and I can hear the Prince influence now that I've read this.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Eric Clapton wrote this

"Holy Mother" is a great song and I can hear the Prince influence now that I've read this.

jesus god i thought eric clapton had died too when i opened the thread.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    That's not the song I'd use

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-24-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 05-02-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Professionally shot version went up today

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The version of Let's Go Crazy from the SNL40 after party is fucking amazing. I love how it's a little slower and heavier, almost like a Jimi Hendrix thing.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)