Page 97 of 215 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 147 197 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 6439

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I definitely think Bill is painting a picture of The Fragile's critical reception that doesn't reflect real life. (Not as blatantly as he usually does, but still.) I read every single thing I could back then and there were just a handful of middling reviews, and one of the only obscenely bad ones was Pitchfork -- which I should point out, no one even really discovered until a couple of years later when Pitchfork started gaining a little more respect/credibility (coinciding with when they stopped giving that Brent guy free reign to shit out nonsense and call it a review).

Maybe I'm wearing my rose-colored glasses, I don't know. I DO remember fans hating on the album, but not critics.
    Last edited by howdidislipinto; 11-11-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    I definitely think Bill is painting a picture of The Fragile's critical reception that doesn't reflect real life. (Not as blatantly as he usually does, but still.) I read every single thing I could back then and there were just a handful of middling reviews, and one of the only obscenely bad ones was Pitchfork -- which I should point out, no one even really discovered until a couple of years later when Pitchfork started gaining a little more respect/credibility (coinciding with when they stopped giving that Brent guy free reign to shit out nonsense and call it a review).

Maybe I'm wearing my rose-colored glasses, I don't know. I DO remember fans hating on the album, but not critics.
    This is an interesting take on it, from the ninhotline but unknown source - seems to suggest 95% of reviews were positive
    http://www.theninhotline.net/archive.../xart259.shtml

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    TR referenced it in that NY Times interview. he said something to the effect of how everyone hated TF when it came out, and now its everyone's fav album...Regardless of what the critics said, bottom line is the album was regarded as a commercial failure compared to TDS...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    TR referenced it in that NY Times interview. he said something to the effect of how everyone hated TF when it came out, and now its everyone's fav album...Regardless of what the critics said, bottom line is the album was regarded as a commercial failure compared to TDS...
    Yes, yes, everyone knows that part, no one was arguing that. Though I appreciate you backing down from the critic thing, especially after it was pointed out that one of the "shitty reviews" you cited was in fact a perfect score. Maybe there's hope?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    Regardless of what the critics said, bottom line is the album was regarded as a commercial failure compared to TDS...
    Which is odd, it sold over 500k copies in the US, which for a double album isn't that bad as that alone turns away some people. It didn't sell as many, but it really wasn't a failure at all.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Which is odd, it sold over 500k copies in the US, which for a double album isn't that bad as that alone turns away some people. It didn't sell as many, but it really wasn't a failure at all.
    It was also (sadly) priced higher than other double albums, at least in Toronto, which always bummed me out as a fan who hoped people would hear it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    This is going to sound astronomically stupid after the deep discussions that have been going on, but I've seriously been wondering this since 2005 when I first saw them live and heard this happen for myself...

In the original lyrics for The Wretched, both on the album and on the Fragility tours, the line is "the hopes and prays, the better days, the far aways". And yet when he started doing it on the With_Teeth tour and every tour since then, he reversed it to where it said "the hopes and prays, the far aways, the better days", and it's always made me wince when I hear it. I just really want to know what inspired the change.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    This is going to sound astronomically stupid after the deep discussions that have been going on, but I've seriously been wondering this since 2005 when I first saw them live and heard this happen for myself...

In the original lyrics for The Wretched, both on the album and on the Fragility tours, the line is "the hopes and prays, the better days, the far aways". And yet when he started doing it on the With_Teeth tour and every tour since then, he reversed it to where it said "the hopes and prays, the far aways, the better days", and it's always made me wince when I hear it. I just really want to know what inspired the change.
    Trent forgets his lyrics. It really is that simple (see: Closer's last verse)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Anyone got The Slip instrumentals for DL?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post

Listening to the Woodstock performance recently, he kept singing 'terrible LIES' - I'm sure it's just terrible lie.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The heavens crawl
    But still we fall

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Does anybody have a copy of wittgrid.swf (WITT video shoot) from the old nin.com? I'm trying to build a usable nin.com archive for nindestruct.com and somehow this file escaped me.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    Does anybody have a copy of wittgrid.swf (WITT video shoot) from the old nin.com? I'm trying to build a usable nin.com archive for nindestruct.com and somehow this file escaped me.
    Can @bwary help?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Anyone got The Slip instrumentals for DL?
    Still looking, my PC doesn't want to work with the multitracks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Still looking, my PC doesn't want to work with the multitracks
    Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3zaahkxyr...al%29.zip?dl=0
    Last edited by Pyract; 11-21-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Any news on this Nine Inch Nails greatest hits album?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    Any news on this Nine Inch Nails greatest hits album?
    Nope.

10 chars

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Will Trent ever perform "Happiness In Slavery" live again?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Will Trent ever perform "Happiness In Slavery" live again?
    Maybe

He'll probably do Broken in full one day just because it's short, so it'll happen I reckon. But will it be the same without Bob Flanagan's flattened testicles adding audio effects

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Maybe

He'll probably do Broken in full one day just because it's short, so it'll happen I reckon. But will it be the same without Bob Flanagan's flattened testicles adding audio effects
    After Chicago's Wave Goodbye night one, I can say he's as likely to do Broken all the way through as he is to do The Perfect Drug. Started the show with Pinion Last and Wish, and EVERYONE who knew about TDS the other night in NYC thought we were getting Broken. Alas, Trent knows how to troll his fans. One of the best openings to a show ever, and god damn it would have been awesome to get Happiness In Slavery and Physical on my list of songs, but I don't think we are ever getting Broken all the way through.
    Honestly, I think Happiness In Slavery is out of Trent's comfortable range anymore, like WITT. He could pull a LITS and sing it (an octave?) lower, or even have Robin "gremlin voice" Finck do the harder parts, and I would love it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I don't really get Trent's fear of doing songs far from the album version - hearing HIS or TPD in a different arrangement that it suitable for his modern range and band line up wouldn't make anyone but bill annoyed.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    the wikipedia page for 'broken' (under "reception") claims 'rollingstone' gave the album four stars, but i can't find any archived reviews or references.

can anyone point me in the direction of one?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    the wikipedia page for 'broken' (under "reception") claims 'rollingstone' gave the album four stars, but i can't find any archived reviews or references.

can anyone point me in the direction of one?
    Well the wikipedia article cites issue 587, so maybe there?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Is there a thread for fan made artworks releted to NIN? I'm sure there is one, but I cannot find it. thx

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Well the wikipedia article cites issue 587, so maybe there?
    can't be. that issue is dated 9/20/90.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    can't be. that issue is dated 9/20/90.
    Sadly there's no free way to search the archives, we know the months reviews came out so maybe find "access" to the back issues through some means and see if those months have it?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    In the live version of "Suck," is it:

"I'm Jesus Fuck on ecstasy."

OR

"I'm Jesus fucked on ecstasy."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    So with that director mentioning that there are four concerts on this upcoming DVD, what four concerts are they? Austria, Houston, Staples, and ?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    So with that director mentioning that there are four concerts on this upcoming DVD, what four concerts are they? Austria, Houston, Staples, and ?
    a) How could we know?
    b) I'll not be surprised if it was a hoax - the 4 shows mention was removed from the interview ("at director's request"). Then again, it might be actually a NIN camp request disguised as one...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I believe one of the Australia shows was filmed?