Page 15 of 154 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    Then I checked out Jeunet's previous work and I was hooked. I know that doesn't directly relate to his alien film, but it made me appreciate it more. Watched it again after seeing Amélie and liked it even more. Resurrection is not quite Aliens, but better than 3.
    That's also a reason why I enjoy Resurrection for what it is. While I don't like Amelie since I got harrassed with it in high school during French class I'm hooked on Jeunet's visual style too. I still need to check out "a very long engagement". Apart from that I would like to know how much more Jeunet was going to put into the movie if the studio bosses would have let him. From various interviews I could gather that he was trying to turn the perversion of the Alien up a good notch, but the producers wanted to play safe. Either way, I can see why one would dislike any of the Alien movies for certain reasons. Maybe I am lucky that so far every director could satisfy me somehow.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Recently watched Resurrection again for the first time since it came out. It's not such a bad film, but it's a bad Alien film. That Alien baby at the end just totally screws with and misunderstands the nature of the beast. Joss Whedon should be slimed for that atrocity. I love Jeunet (City of Lost Children, Delicatessen, and the recent Micmacs are insanely good), but here the style just totally did not gel with the Alien universe, which is supposed to be realistic, not campy/grotesque/surreal/bizarre/gothic/comedic. It was just a bad bad fit.

As for Alien3, I haven't seen it since it came out, but I do remember digging it a lot. Will watch it again soon.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet of the apes View Post
    Has anyone watched Take Shelter with Michael Shannon? I was wondering if it was any good.
    I think it's an incredible film. Shannon's performance should've gotten nominated for an Oscar. It was intense but also very quiet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just watched Special with Michael Rapaport. I really enjoyed it for what it is. Anyone else seen this or have thoughts on it? Very good role for what Rapaport does as an actor.
    It is not necessarily a "great" movie by any means, but better than I thought it would be. I’ve been watching movies based on when they stop streaming on Netflix, so was finally motivated to watch this.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Wow. The first episode of Deadwood was pretty damn good. I can't wait to watch the next one.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I hate to admit: The Muppets
    I REALLY hate to admit: I liked it

Aside from Amy Adam's disco-ish song and Chris Coopers uh, rap, it was really done well. I'm sorry to actually admit it.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Wow. The first episode of Deadwood was pretty damn good. I can't wait to watch the next one.
    Ok. Two episodes in and I think I'm hooked. This show is really freaking good so far. I'm starting to understand what all the hype was about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    More future tense than past but have just booked tickets to see six (6 !) films pretty much back to back as part of Tyneside Cinema's 75th birthday celebrations. They're screening 75 hours of film over three screens and charging just 75p a film.

My choices start with "A Clockwork Orange" at 10pm on the Saturday night and continue through "Donnie Darko", "Wicker Man", "Audition", "Strangers On A Train" and they finish with "Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense" at 1:40pm Sunday afternoon. Phew.

I've not seen any of them on the big screen before and have never seen Hitchcock's classic "Strangers On A Train" at all. Should be great fun, especially Wicker Man at 3:40am on a Sunday morning!

Rounding it off with Talking Heads will be a treat at the flicks with a proper full-on sound system. There shall be dancing in the aisles!

If any of you lot are in the north east of England (ie Newcastle Upon Tyne specifically) then I'd advise getting your tickets booked before they sell out!

https://www.tynesidecinema.co.uk/wha...nema-part-deux

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Better be the Nicholas "Bear Punch" Cage version of Wicker Man...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i mean that facepalm with love, fixer .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also planted the hand of disappointment against the comment. Not so much again you, fixer, but mainly that you reminded me that remake even existed.

{shudders}

{goes off to get the mind bleach}

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    You people wouldn't know real art if it dressed up in a bear suit and punched your wife.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    It's dumb but I'm getting a beer-induced laugh out of Bob's Burgers.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    experimenting with the facepalm and like button on the same post worked out like gangbusters! <3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw Alien again for the first time in a very long time. It's weird because the most iconic parts (facehugger, chest bursting) I don't remember having an impact on me. The part I remember upsetting me is when Ash gets his head lobbed off and his head starts spiting up milk. It made me nauseous then and nauseous seeing it again. I think it is because I associate it with milk and glaze, like on a doughnut. Even thinking about it makes me queasy.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    127 Hours. That was a REALLY good movie.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Recently watched Resurrection again for the first time since it came out. It's not such a bad film, but it's a bad Alien film. That Alien baby at the end just totally screws with and misunderstands the nature of the beast. Joss Whedon should be slimed for that atrocity. I love Jeunet (City of Lost Children, Delicatessen, and the recent Micmacs are insanely good), but here the style just totally did not gel with the Alien universe, which is supposed to be realistic, not campy/grotesque/surreal/bizarre/gothic/comedic. It was just a bad bad fit.
    If I recall correctly, Joss Whedon absolutely HATES Alien 3 and has said numerous times that what you see on the screen is not what he actually wrote.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I just watched this BCC hour long on the science behind CHAOS!
    http://ishare.rediff.com/video/enter...0-low-/3944150

It's quite entertaining and interesting.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Netflix just added the original Transformers cartoon to instant watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just watched "wake wood"

Actually it was kinda OK

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    On a Hitchcock binge (since last week I realized my wife hasn't seen any of them): Suspicion, Vertigo, Strangers on a Train, Rear Window, To Catch a Thief, Psycho, The Trouble With Harry, The Birds, & North By Northwest (still my favorite)

Last Night: Rope

Up next: Shadow of a Doubt, Rebecca, Saboteur, & Dial M For Murder (.......and if she doesn't kill me by then: Lifeboat, The Man Who Knew Too Much, & Notorious.)

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang for the millionth time. Still love that movie.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Dreams of a life - drama documentary about a lady who died at 36 in her flat and was not discovered until three years later with the TV still on, made me cry which was a bit embrassing on a long haul flight! http://dreamsofalife.com/

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    *watches trailer for "Battleship", laughs uncontrollably*

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang for the millionth time. Still love that movie.
    I actually refer to this is my "ice breaker" movie now. I JUST realized that, without thinking, I'd made this the first movie I've watched with my last three girlfriends. One of them even borrowed it, kept it the whole time we dated, aaand never gave it back.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Saw a film Darren Aranofsky wrote and produced from 2002 with a younger Zach Galifianakis starring in, called BELOW. About two doomed vessels a boat and a submarine. Danny Boyle was clearly a fan of this, his picture Sunshine from 2006 is more or less the same story but set in space instead of deep underwater.

This was well shot had a brilliant cast and interesting ideas but like Sunshine ultimately too fragmented and all over the place.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    DIE HARD - with Alan Rickman and Bruce Willis.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpathian Psychonaut View Post
    especially Wicker Man at 3:40am on a Sunday morning!
    I saw this movie on tv due to insomnia. Kept me up for the rest of the night.

Iron Chief America with Kale. Awesome

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Wow. I finally got around to watching Contagion. I want my two hours back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow. I finally got around to watching Contagion. I want my two hours back.
    Hey now, the music in that movie is great.