Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - Series and Films

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Just starting watching TNG for the first time since the 90s.

Realizing that the court scene takes place in 60 years and I might be alive still...
    Yay! I got all 7 seasons on DVD for Christmas. I'm going through them all slowly (currently on season 4) in order to make the re-experiencing of them last.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I wish DS9 would get the Blu-ray treatment
    Same but the cost of remastering TNG and the return profit makes it currently impossible since it isn't financially feasible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Well, the lead actors are all doing great work, as usual, but apart from some good moments in the first two episodes of this new Discovery season (I especially enjoyed the Jonathan Frakes-directed, more relaxed, classic-style Trek of "New Eden"), I am not quite as enamored yet as I was of the first season's twists and turns. Maybe because I'm incredibly bummed out by the world around me, but it's harder to get as invested in it. Anybody else feeling this way?
    I'm definitely feeling less invested in this season so far... perhaps it's the constant prick-tease of Spock's appearance, although I'm honestly not all that keen on seeing TOS crew re-worked into this show. For all the setup of the red lights and Spock, they sure seem to be tiptoeing around actually dealing with any of it.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I'm enjoying S2 of Discovery for the most part, maybe a little too much focus on Tilly lately although since she's involved i do like that we're getting to see some of the consequences of using the spore drive. This could very well lead to explaining why it's never seen or heard about again in any of the Trek series we're all familiar with (outside of the obvious of course).

Also is it just me or does anyone else miss a medical officer that was more involved with the story?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last night's Discovery was my favourite since the premiere, was on the edge of my seat the whole time! A certain someone's return toward the end was such a joyous moment, I hope it's permanent. Continuing to love Anson Mount's Pike, he's so charismatic and a great counterpoint to Lorca, as much as I love Jason Isaacs. Still not sure how I feel about Section 31. I love Georgiou, she's always fun to watch, but that whole element feels like they're trying too much to be edgy...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I love Tilly. And Stamets.

And combadges. Hello, COMBADGES!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    still a little conflicted about Discovery. sometimes i love it. sometimes... idk. i feel like i want them to dial the melodrama back by 15% and the action back by 20%. it's just SO MUCH. i really like Anson Mount. I am constantly amused by my GF asking things like "what about that robot, Isaac?" and i'm like, "no, he's on the Orville." Happens like twice per episode... of either show.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Any theories about the Red Angel??

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Any theories about the Red Angel??
    It's Spock from the future. That's the only thing I can come up with.

Also: my poor Stamets is so happy Spoiler: to have his husband back that he doesn't seem to realize that Hugh is not the same man he was. At best, he has a severe case of PTSD. At worst... I don't want to think about it.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I was starting to wonder if it could be The Traveller or maybe Wesley Crusher?

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Traveler

Although with all the rights holder nonsense between CBS and Paramount i really have no clue what they're allowed to do, perhaps it's just something entirely new to Star Trek.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^
    Yeah, The Traveler or Wesley would make sense if it wasn't for all the rights stupidity.

The Spock angle regarding the Red Angel is so annoying to me. Right now, all we know about Spock is completely out of character. And they are dangling him for us like the proverbial carrot for the donkey: " Ooh, Spock is coming; not this episode and maybe not the next but he is coming... SOON!"

At least they have other characters who are worthy of the time we spend watching. And the Red Angel storyline in itself is intriguing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I was starting to wonder if it could be The Traveller or maybe Wesley Crusher?

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Traveler

Although with all the rights holder nonsense between CBS and Paramount i really have no clue what they're allowed to do, perhaps it's just something entirely new to Star Trek.
    I really hope that this isn't the case. Dumb character and storyline.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I would have never imagined that an episode full of fan service could be so good! (Ep. 8)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
    I would have never imagined that an episode full of fan service could be so good! (Ep. 8)
    Yeah, that was great.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    So what the heck are we witnessing on Discovery right now, the origins of the Borg?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So what the heck are we witnessing on Discovery right now, the origins of the Borg?
    No, there was already a Borg story on Enterprise, so they already exist at this point. Mount to leave after season 2.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/03/ans...DzT2tCbEyaBWK8

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    No, there was already a Borg story on Enterprise, so they already exist at this point. Mount to leave after season 2.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/03/ans...DzT2tCbEyaBWK8
    Yeah but that was because of the events transpiring in First Contact wasn't it? they were brought in from the future so they would have had to exist in the past at some point of origin after those events no?

I mean if we picture a timeline where the events of First Contact don't happen exactly in the way that they do and the borg don't crossover into the past they could still exist in theory couldn't they?

Timey wimey paradoxical looping stuff i guess.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-19-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Haven’t seen any of Discovery season 2, but it having anything to do with borg origin is unlikely. It was established in the Voyager series that the borg were already an existing multi-system power in the Delta Quadrant by the late 1400s, long before the events of Discovery, Enterprise, or even First Contact. They’d have to be real heavy handed on retconning to tell such a story.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Haven’t seen any of Discovery season 2, but it having anything to do with borg origin is unlikely. It was established in the Voyager series that the borg were already an existing multi-system power in the Delta Quadrant by the late 1400s, long before the events of Discovery, Enterprise, or even First Contact. They’d have to be real heavy handed on retconning to tell such a story.
    In the 1400s? holy shit lol yeah Voyager is like the one Trek series I haven't seen in full. I need to rectify that at some point.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Bridge of the Enterprise on Discovery.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 04-07-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've been enjoying season 2 of Discovery, but was rather disappointed in last Thursday's episode:
    Spoiler: Way too much melodrama and hardly any story.

That said:
    Spoiler: I did love the interior and bridge of the Enterprise. It fit the aesthetic of the show but was true to the original design.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I don't want Pike to go.

He needs a series now, hey CBS... give Anson Mount a Pike series you cowards!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I don't want Pike to go.

He needs a series now, hey CBS... give Anson Mount a Pike series you cowards!
    I'd be a lot more excited about a Captain Pike spin-off than season 3 of Discovery.

Season 2 started off well but went south the last few episodes. Last few episodes were very disappointing--far too much action and melodrama, with not much in the way of storytelling.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Holy purring Tribbles I just had one hell of a start.

Star Trek the Motion Picture is showing on tv right now and somehow, in my old age, I had completely forgotten that its main theme was reused for TNG. For a few seconds there, I thought I was going mad.

Oh, I just saw hippy Spock. Now, that was kind of disturbing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Holy purring Tribbles I just had one hell of a start.

Star Trek the Motion Picture is showing on tv right now and somehow, in my old age, I had completely forgotten that its main theme was reused for TNG. For a few seconds there, I thought I was going mad.

Oh, I just saw hippy Spock. Now, that was kind of disturbing.
    People give TMP a lot of shit, but I think it's a sorely underrated movie. Visually, it's arguably the best movie in the franchise--it's such a pleasure to sit there and soak it all in. The pacing is slow, but it's not boring, imho.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    People give TMP a lot of shit, but I think it's a sorely underrated movie. Visually, it's arguably the best movie in the franchise--it's such a pleasure to sit there and soak it all in. The pacing is slow, but it's not boring, imho.
    it's beautiful, i just wish they hadn't recycled a plot from an episode of TOS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Went to the theater tonight to see the documentary, “WHAT WE LEFT BEHIND looking back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.” It was enjoyable. The DS9 cast still looks great, and Ira did great with the interviews. Andrew Robinson steals the show. Sad to see Terry Farrell still has hard feelings about the nature of her departure from the show, but nice to see her with the cast and talking about it. Armin Shimerman, Casey Biggs, Jeffery Combs, and Max Grodenchik do a musical number together that was more than worth the price of admission.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Went to the theater tonight to see the documentary, “WHAT WE LEFT BEHIND looking back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.” It was enjoyable. The DS9 cast still looks great, and Ira did great with the interviews. Andrew Robinson steals the show. Sad to see Terry Farrell still has hard feelings about the nature of her departure from the show, but nice to see her with the cast and talking about it. Armin Shimerman, Casey Biggs, Jeffery Combs, and Max Grodenchik do a musical number together that was more than worth the price of admission.
    Sounds cool. Can't really blame Farrell for wanting to leave DS9, I mean, she was offered a starring role in Becker, one of the most memorable shows of the late 90's...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Sounds cool. Can't really blame Farrell for wanting to leave DS9, I mean, she was offered a starring role in Becker, one of the most memorable shows of the late 90's...
    Yeah, they did some really cool stuff for this documentary. For anyone who is a fan of DS9, I’d think there are some things to appreciate in this. Ever wonder what a modern day pilot episode for a season 8 DS9 opener might look like? Ever wonder what DS9 would look like in HD quality? Ever wonder who Elim Garak really had the hots for? I wont spoil anything, but if you get a chance, look this thing up. Here is the promo poster we got at the show.