Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's OK. There's some good stuff on there but it's not the album people will hope it was (it was never going to be).

Nice album to sit back and relax too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think a lot of the hardcore fans have more realistic expectations that this won't be on the level of their greatest work. Those who will be disappointed and bitch about it are probably expecting something much more than what Gilmour and Mason have been telling us what it would be.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Knowing this was going to be more or less The Division Bell II, I think I went into this with the correct level of expectation. I'm most of the way through my first listen through, and I'm actually really liking it so far. It's not the most exciting stuff, but it's all pleasant to listen to, and it's unmistakably Pink Floyd. I think the idea to keep it an instrumental album was for the best..the first couple lines of 'Louder Than Words' make me cringe. The guys were right though, Rick's stuff really shines on this collection. 'Sums' is my favorite so far.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I love it. This is more attuned to the period before up to Dark Side of the Moon, when they were at their best as a musical unit. It's more cohesive in the mood more than anything else. It's not a bang but not exactly a whimper either, a wonderful way to close the book either way.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 11-10-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Pretty album with no intention other than "showing" nice music passages, i thought it was ok, not essential listening or anything just the band "showing off" their instrumental-crafting, it does have some great moments like Manson's awesome drumming in "Skins", "Talkin' Hawkin" and even some riffs that reference previous Pink Floyd work.
    A nice epilogue that's not essential listening but deserves a chance if you give it...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I really wish Endless River stayed unreleased. Knew it would be bad when the material was left off The Division Bell. Still gave it a chance but it sounds incomplete.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I like it, has a lot of the sounds and textures from the era of Floyd I like the most. No vocals is fine by me, they're all a bit old for cod-philosophising and let's face it, Waters was the one with something to say. A understated end with lots of nice reminders of their sound over the years. They would never be able to release anything that matched their mid-period greatness, so low key is a better way to go than a potentially underwhelming attempt at epicness, IMO.

Will be a good album for chilling out in the garden with a jazz fag (stop vomiting at the back)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Basically the album is intrumentals for songs that never got lyrics and vocals for to me. It's alright, nothing mind blowingly awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Listening to the album now and I think it's a great capstone to their work to show that even Pink Floyd leftovers are still better than 99% of what's out there today.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    My sentiments are similar to those expressed by others. It's a good instrumental album, but it doesn't feel like anything I haven't already heard these guys do before. I really wish they had gone with full-blown "songs." Gilmour can obviously still play the shit out of his guitar and his voice still sounds good. It feels like a missed opportunity to me. All in all: a good record. Just not a particularly memorable one.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    "Ebb and Flow" is a good track, and I love Mason's work on "Skins". I'm not hearing anything else I'll want to replay.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Number 1 in the UK, 3 in the U.S. behind Foo Fighters and Taylor swift (groan).

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    if this album did not have the name "Pink Floyd" attached to it, absolutely NOBODY would care about it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    NOBODY would care about it.
    not even whoever recorded it?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    if this album did not have the name "Pink Floyd" attached to it, absolutely NOBODY would care about it.
    Well, no shit considering this is an album in the loosest sense. This is basically Pink Floyd's Ghosts I–IV.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Well, no shit considering this is an album in the loosest sense. This is basically Pink Floyd's Ghosts I–IV.
    no... Ghosts I-IV was interesting.

This is new age coffee shop music.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    no... Ghosts I-IV was interesting.
    To us, yeah, but we're NIN fans. Plenty of people did not enjoy it, and most of the positive reaction to the project was more towards the way it was released.

And I majorly said this was "Pink Floyd's Ghosts" because its appeal is majorly to hardcore fans, and it's a collection of ideas that were never properly fleshed out.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I finally heard the album today in its deluxe edition. I don't think it will be in that list of great albums but it is better than A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell while it has elements of Meddle which I noticed. It also has some of the early post-Syd era Floyd in some of the organs that Rick Wright was playing. If this is their final album. At least they go out with a winner.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Nick Mason sounds absolutely impeccable on this album. he's never had a finer drum mix, imo.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    To us, yeah, but we're NIN fans.
    It has nothing to do with that. I'm also a Pink Floyd fan, and there's a lot of NIN music that I think is pretty weak.

I really wanted to like this album, but there's really only a couple of moments in there that stand out to me. Otherwise it's soul-suckingly dull and obnoxiously pleasant.

I would take the David Gilmour solo albums over this. I'd take The Final Cut over this. I'd even take Broken China or Wet Dream over this.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 11-17-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Admittedly I've been going back to the old albums more than The Endless River for the last several days. It put me directly back with the feeling I had listening to them for the first time. More specifically, I ran across some better versions of the John Peel sessions from 1968 and 1970. I've not listened to a whole lot (I'm a bit of a stickler for sound quality when it comes to bootlegs) other than the Oakland '77 and a few various others. I recently also found a recording from 1970 of them at Montreux which is actually quite excellent for being an audience recording.

The 1971 John Peel session might be my favorite. The only better version of "Echoes" you'll ever find is the original.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-29-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I really hope the band releases a BBC Sessions compilation with some notes from Roger, David, and Nick.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I really hope the band releases a BBC Sessions compilation with some notes from Roger, David, and Nick.
    That would be great. Definitely holding out hope for a deluxe expanded box set of Relics.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    As they are, they're quite good. The 1970 session is only available in mono so the best I could hope for is that there's a new stereo mix of it if those sessions do ever do come out.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Congrats to Pink Floyd and specifically Andy Jackson for getting a Grammy nod for Best Surround Mix for his work on The Division Bell​'s 5.1 mix.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Even though his album has not been announced yet, dates are already set for David Gilmour in Europe this September.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Even though his album has not been announced yet, dates are already set for David Gilmour in Europe this September.
    Gilmour has also confirmed that his solo album will be out the same month, with more details to follow.

http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-...unces-uk-gigs/

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The only seats left on the pre sale are pretty awful. Hopefully there are some better ones available tomorrow, I won't be able to try when they go on sale though so I hope some will be available later in the day