Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I guess it makes sense. Sylvian's style is barely suited to their collaborative album; I imagine if he were to be in KC, everything would have taken a major diversion toward "The Sheltering Sky" sorts of things. Given that the '90s KC lineup RF made afterward was so hellbent on metal - or maybe that was just Fripp himself, considering how much of The First Day is hard rock-based - it seems to be an impossible KC formation.

Still, I wish they made more records together!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Fripp played on a lot of Sylvian's records (a lot of which I'm discovering now for the first time) before The First Day as well, but that was a much more collaborative effort. I'm going to have to check out that live video pretty soon. Gunn and Mastelotto make up the rhythm section, and the fantastic Michael Brook is on guitar on this as well.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yeah, I got into The First Day pretty heavy for a bit, and now am trying various Sylvian albums. If you like the one thing he does, they're great.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Can't wait to get my hands on this!

The photos and souvenir reproductions look lussssssh. This is going to have pride of place, sitting right next to my Starless box set.
    Last edited by botley; 10-23-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Unfortunately due to a pricing error on the website we have cancelled the order for the item King Crimson On (and Off) The Road: 1981-1984 that was purchased via the website.

In the event a product is listed at an incorrect price due to a display or typographical error, or an error in pricing information received from our suppliers, or store partners, we shall have the right to refuse or cancel any orders placed for product listed at the incorrect price.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I've got my shipping notification!
    Steven nailed Yes' Topographic Oceans remix, so I'm really looking forward to hear what he's done to Beat and ToaPP. And all the extra materials on the blu-ray.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    I know!!!! Got that message too, changed my order to Amazon instead.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I know!!!! Got that message too, changed my order to Amazon instead.
    i went with Overstock.com since it was actually $8 cheaper (free shipping, no tax) than it originally was total on importCDs. but like...how shitty is it that they have that policy built in?

unfortunately, importCDs hasn't fully refunded my order (they still owe me about $6 for some reason). weird.

also, i have no idea when i'm actually going to get it from overstock since their free shipping is "2-15 days"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My box has arrived! I'm currently ripping it one by one, and the tracklist for CD9 'Are You Recording Gary?' is very intriguing, it has 'Redux' tracks for each album, such as 'Discipline Redux', 'Beat Redux', and 'ToaPP Redux'.
    Edit: Discipline Redux has the same running time as the iTunes 'Studio Sessions' bonus track. If they're indeed identical, they could've created this 'studio sessions' thing for each album, and included those in this box.

And if anybody's wondering about the blu-ray contents of Beat & ToaPP:
    Beat:
    5.1ch 2016 SW surround mix (including Absent Lovers Instrumental), Alternate Album (tracks 1-8), Neal And Jack And Me (Alt. take), Absent Lovers (Live In Oxford) in 24/96 and 6 tracks from Alabamahalle in widescreen, audio 24/48.

ToaPP:
    5.1ch 2016 SW surround mix (excluding the remixes, only KC Barber Shop and Robert's Ballad are mixed in surround), no alternate album (as advertised, but Industrial Zone C is almost 16 minutes long, Zones A & B are about a minute longer too), Absent Lovers in surround and LPCM Stereo 24/48. Video contents - ToaPP Live In Japan (19 tracks), Japan April 29th & 30th (9 & 6 tracks each).
    Last edited by Lerxto; 10-28-2016 at 08:45 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

currently finishing up the ToaPP blu-ray (watching the live in japan concert, even though i just watched it a couple months ago when i picked up the neal & jack & me dvd). excited to listen through all the CDs, but the 5.1 mixes of Beat & ToaPP were both INCREDIBLE. i'm sad it took them this long to get released, but am so glad to finally have them.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    currently finishing up the ToaPP blu-ray (watching the live in japan concert, even though i just watched it a couple months ago when i picked up the neal & jack & me dvd). excited to listen through all the CDs, but the 5.1 mixes of Beat & ToaPP were both INCREDIBLE. i'm sad it took them this long to get released, but am so glad to finally have them.
    My ToaPP blu-ray includes 'Absent Lovers' concert only in 5.1ch surround 24/96 mix, although it's listed as being included in both 5.1 & stereo (in 24/48). Is this the case with you too?
    Last edited by Lerxto; 11-05-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    My ToaPP blu-ray includes 'Absent Lovers' concert only in 5.1ch surround 24/96 mix, although it's listed as being included in both 5.1 & stereo (in 24/48). Is this the case with you too?
    the stereo version is on one of the DVDs, as they didn't have room on the blu-ray. there's a note about it from singleton in the book.

also, realized there was a ton of material from the thrak box i never got around to watching/listening to, so i'm making my way through that.

really looking forward to finally watching the "radical action" blu-ray, too.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    the stereo version is on one of the DVDs, as they didn't have room on the blu-ray. there's a note about it from singleton in the book.
    IIRC, it's the exact opposite - they had no room for the surround mix created for the Japan shows, so the DVD includes the 5.1 surround mixes for them.
    Also, there is no DVD that contains Absent Lovers (audio or video).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    listened to it today in honor of mr. lake

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Current mood: that incredibly fast cross-picking section Fripp does
    Last edited by botley; 12-21-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hey, guys. Does anybody knows about Fripp's beliefs and stuff? I know he was really fond of Uspensky and Gurdjieff. To the point it actually did affect his music. But that's the only thing i know. Nothing deeper then that. So, anybody?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    got the CD/DVD version of USA for x-mas from my in-laws. listened to most of the CD in the car on the way home on x-mas and while there are definitely bits and pieces i couldn't make out clearly previously (i have the original vinyl and the 30th anniversary CD version), i found it to be a little TOO dynamic, and the bass was way too low/thin in the mix, to the point where i was straining to hear it (which i never had to do before). hoping the sound on the DVD is a bit better, and maybe not being in the car will help, but i've listened to the 30th anniversary CD version so many times since it came out (it was my #1 KC release until live in toronto came out) that i'm a bit disappointed with this new version. the extended versions of the songs are nice, though. it always pissed me off that easy money faded out during that beautiful solo.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    got the CD/DVD version of USA for x-mas from my in-laws. listened to most of the CD in the car on the way home on x-mas and while there are definitely bits and pieces i couldn't make out clearly previously (i have the original vinyl and the 30th anniversary CD version), i found it to be a little TOO dynamic, and the bass was way too low/thin in the mix, to the point where i was straining to hear it (which i never had to do before). hoping the sound on the DVD is a bit better, and maybe not being in the car will help, but i've listened to the 30th anniversary CD version so many times since it came out (it was my #1 KC release until live in toronto came out) that i'm a bit disappointed with this new version. the extended versions of the songs are nice, though. it always pissed me off that easy money faded out during that beautiful solo.
    The CD is a brand new mix of the complete Asbury Park show, made in 2013 for The Road to Red box set. That box also includes a 2005 version of the same show mixed for the DGMLive downloads website. Originally, USA used excerpts of that show along with a performance of "Schizoid Man" from some different show (Providence, Rhode Island, if I recall right) and some overdubbed violin tracks. The later versions are more historically accurate, and if you like your bass guitar LOUD then I'd recommend the 2005 mix done by Ronan Chris Murphy. I believe it's present on the DVD you have, it also apparently came out as a Collectable King Crimson CD in 2006.
    Last edited by botley; 12-28-2016 at 01:23 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    The CD is a brand new mix of the complete Asbury Park show, made in 2013 for The Road to Red box set. That box also includes a 2005 version of the same show mixed for the DGMLive downloads website. Originally, USA used excerpts of that show along with a performance of "Schizoid Man" from some different show (Providence, Rhode Island, if I recall right) and some overdubbed violin tracks. The later versions are more historically accurate, and if you like your bass guitar LOUD then I'd recommend the 2005 mix done by Ronan Chris Murphy. I believe it's present on the DVD you have, it also apparently came out as a Collectable King Crimson CD in 2006.
    i knew schizoid man sounded different! i was like "this solo and these breaks are NOT what i remember"
    i was aware of the overdubbed violin parts in the older version(s) of the release. hope the 2005 mix is on the DVD, i'll have to check.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    i knew schizoid man sounded different! i was like "this solo and these breaks are NOT what i remember"i was aware of the overdubbed violin parts in the older version(s) of the release. hope the 2005 mix is on the DVD, i'll have to check.
    I believe so, and I read somewhere that it and The Road to Red also include a needledrop of the original USA album in high resolution, but it's never been officially available elsewhere digitally, just the extended 30th Anniversary or full concert versions. Not sure if that's true, maybe the master tapes are in bad shape. I'd like to find a clean vinyl copy of the original, someday.
    Last edited by botley; 12-28-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I believe so, and I read somewhere that it and The Road to Red also include a needledrop of the original USA album in high resolution, but it's never been officially available elsewhere digitally, just the extended 30th Anniversary or full concert versions. Not sure if that's true, maybe the master tapes are in bad shape. I'd like to find a clean vinyl copy of the original, someday.
    there's a 24-bit (can't remember the sample-rate but i'm pretty sure it's 48) vinyl transfer on the DVD of USA, as well

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Some of the KC stuff is way, way, way, way too bogged down with too many mixes of the same material. It's an excellent example of illusory marketing: look! we are increasing the value without doing any extra work! now we can charge you more!

We absolutely do not need that many versions of USA. Give us a great mix of the original performance and a great mix that has the re-recordings. Fuck off with the rest, especially needledrops – leave that to pbthal, because he's better at it than anyone doing the KC needledrops (SW? David Singleton?).

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Some of the KC stuff is way, way, way, way too bogged down with too many mixes of the same material. It's an excellent example of illusory marketing: look! we are increasing the value without doing any extra work! now we can charge you more!

We absolutely do not need that many versions of USA. Give us a great mix of the original performance and a great mix that has the re-recordings. Fuck off with the rest, especially needledrops – leave that to pbthal, because he's better at it than anyone doing the KC needledrops (SW? David Singleton?).
    I understand your concern, but in this case it's not a huge deal. They did a mix in 1974 (or maybe '75? Whenever it was that the overdubs were done) and then Fripp supervised one that he's happiest with in 2013 — the rest are curiosities or slight alternates. The 2005 sounds pretty close to the original and was only done to satisfy the mail-order market, it's really just bonus material in the 40th Anniversary edition. According to Discogs, the USA 'vinyl transfer preparation' was done by John Kimber, also purely for bonus collector delectation. Considering it just cost me less than $20 CAD to get the CD+DVD (in gently used condition), which includes all these versions, it really isn't the greatest possible milking scheme I can imagine.
    Last edited by botley; 12-28-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I like the 2005 mix FAR more than any other mix of the Asbury Park performance. It just has the perfect balance of all instruments and everything sounds like it is right in front of you. In the new mix, the instruments sound a bit too far away and the drums are over-compressed, at least for my taste. I don't really know why they needed to make a new mix.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Fripp said in his latest diary the band will tour the West Coast in the summer, heading east later in the fall.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Apparently Bill Rieflin is returning to the line-up this year AND Jeremy Stacey will be staying. Fripp: "King Crimson is likely to be making a lot more noise than before"

https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robe...ry_2017_Jan_03