Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

2001: A Space Odyssey

Anyone else into this? I'm a pretty big Kubrick fan. Just got the 4K UHD & it's spectacular. I don't have many movies yet in UHD but this one is the best I've seen so far. They did a stunning job on the transfer. The soundtrack sounds fantastic, also. Hard to believe this is so good considering the film is 50 years old. For me, this is true art in cinema form. If you get a UHD player for Xmas, this is the disc to check out your system!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    My favorite film of all time and I'm currently less than 100 pages away from finishing the novel for the first time. Got to see it in imax a few months ago and it was honestly like seeing it for the first time. I don't currently have a uhd player, and I'm probably never going to buy another physical media player again, but if I did this would definitely be one of my first purchases.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Agreed; the greatest film I’ve ever seen, and damn well the closet I’ve seen to a perfect picture. I must have seen this thing tens of times over the years at the cinema/theatre (multiple times in 70mm), as well as at home. I don’t believe I’ll ever tire of it.

I also love the book series.

I once had the pleasure of seeing it with a Q&A before the showing, featuring both Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood. It was immense fun, and I also got a chance to get some merch signed by them.

I have such a profoundly intense relationship with this film - it was my first real cinematic love, upon first viewing it in the mid-80s (I was seven or eight at the time), and it has only grown in mystery over the years. A true cinematic “experience”.

I also kinda enjoy 2010 - the level of filmcraft on display is nowhere near the same level, but it’s a fun follow-up, and in the context of a non-Kubrick sequel, might be as good as one could hope.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    My favorite film of all time and I'm currently less than 100 pages away from finishing the novel for the first time. Got to see it in imax a few months ago and it was honestly like seeing it for the first time. I don't currently have a uhd player, and I'm probably never going to buy another physical media player again, but if I did this would definitely be one of my first purchases.
    If you enjoy the book, I’d urge you to track down the rest of the series. A number of them were rumoured to be adapted with the backing of Tom Hanks, once upon a time...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Wasn't the whole concept behind those that Frank Poole is the unfrozen caveman lawyer, picked up and reanimated after Jupiter's new solar system starts supporting advanced lifeforms? It's been a while since I read them (like, twenty years).

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    This just got a re-release in theaters this past summer to celebrate its 50th anniversary and sadly I missed it...seeing it in 70mm IMAX would have be amazing

https://www.imax.com/News/2001-A-Space-Odyssey-in-IMAX

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    This just got a re-release in theaters this past summer to celebrate its 50th anniversary and sadly I missed it...seeing it in 70mm IMAX would have be amazing

https://www.imax.com/News/2001-A-Space-Odyssey-in-IMAX
    the new 4K UHD is different from the IMAX release. the IMAX was a labour of Christopher Nolan & an attempt to show it as Kubrick would've wanted it. most reports say so so results. the 4K was done by the restoration team at Warner, who have been doing excellent work as opposed to say the Disney team. Leon Vitali, Kubrick's long time assistant, was heavily involved with the 4K restoration. it's an amazing piece of work.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Fellow Kubrick fans, you simply MUST see Filmworker, the Netflix doc. It's pretty incredible.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Fellow Kubrick fans, you simply MUST see Filmworker, the Netflix doc. It's pretty incredible.
    great film. why having leon vitali working on the 4K UHD is worth noting. you know it's a labour of love & an extension of his life's work. even though he didn't come on the scene until Barry Lyndon, he was a vital (probably most vital) part of Kubrick's team for decades.
    Last edited by chuckrh; 12-23-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I'm not a huge Kubrik fan in general, but 2001 is a fantastic movie (and his best)! I read a lot of Arthur C Clark as a kid, and the novels are perfect (I anly read the first 2), and along Childhood's End they're my favorite.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ Wasn't the whole concept behind those that Frank Poole is the unfrozen caveman lawyer, picked up and reanimated after Jupiter's new solar system starts supporting advanced lifeforms? It's been a while since I read them (like, twenty years).
    There’re definitely elements of that in 3001: The Final Odyssey. 2061 features Halley’s Comet and Europa as the principal settings and Heywood Floyd as the central character (wIthout giving too much away, plot-wise, for those that have yet to read it). Pretty interesting reads though, for fans of the first two!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I just found this youtube video-series on the making of 2001. It's fascinating and worth checking out!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)