Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Headphones and Amps and DACs... Oh My!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Gah! I keep going between different models and can't make up my mind. I just want something that's good for listening to music off my computer while I work, because the earbuds are not working.

Fuck it. I went ahead and ordered the ATH-M20x. Will see how they go. I'm not a super audiophile, but I just want something better than what I have currently.
    Nice. Even if you were willing to spend $100, you're only in it for $50 so win-win.

No clue what earbuds you were using before, but the sound stage increase will be noticeable, even if we're talking about switching from earbuds to the entry level $20 Sony MDR's.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    oh man, @Jon thank you for the earcup replacement recommendation. these are officially the most comfortable things i've ever had on my ears. and they were super easy to change. <3

i asked my wife if she wanted to feel them and she put them on her head and went "it's like a stuffed animal is hugging my head" hehehe

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Question about the Sennheiser HD 280 headphones, since I just found my pair that I had thought I gotten rid of. A) I need new cups and the handy little guide on the Brainwavz page has disappeared to be replaced by gobbledygook:

Introducing Your

PAGE DETAILS TEMPLATE
    Let's Get Started!

TALK ABOUT YOUR BRAND
    Use this text to share information about your brand with your customers.

Describe a product, share announcements, or welcome customers to your store.
    wtaf is going on with the site.

B) I plugged them into my receiver so I could listen to a record sans hum (see vinyl thread) and there was absolutely zero bass coming through. It's been long enough that I don't 100% remember what they sounded like but I am 100% sure that they were very good sounding cans. I've had them for awhile sure but I've never heard of a set of headphones doing this. they sound very clear but there is zero bass response.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Question about the Sennheiser HD 280 headphones, since I just found my pair that I had thought I gotten rid of. A) I need new cups and the handy little guide on the Brainwavz page has disappeared to be replaced by gobbledygook:

wtaf is going on with the site.

B) I plugged them into my receiver so I could listen to a record sans hum (see vinyl thread) and there was absolutely zero bass coming through. It's been long enough that I don't 100% remember what they sounded like but I am 100% sure that they were very good sounding cans. I've had them for awhile sure but I've never heard of a set of headphones doing this. they sound very clear but there is zero bass response.
    The website works just fine for me. With the Sennheiser 280 Pro's, you're "stuck" with choosing just from the Oval pads (https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/pages...z-earpad-guide).

If you're having hum and zero bass response, there's something going on with your receiver/amp (could be as simple as the cable though).

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Firstly, wtf. that link was giving me that weird page all weekend - and even while I was typing that post out, hence the quotes! - and suddenly it's working again. I'm not complaining, but it makes me look/feel crazy! side note: both the 280s and my Sony headphones are on that page so that's a bonus for me, just order two of the same thing.

The cable on them is so damn heavy duty I hope it's not that. I mean it's not a big problem since I have two other headphones I could use but I'll check when i get home.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Research into SACD players is confusing...

Am I correct that there is not a native DSD player for less than about $1500? The players look to be about $700-800 (Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Sony), but then you need a DAC/Amp that can support the audio which is equal in price. Are these price points accurate for Onkyo and Denon (I'm not familiar with these as much). The "all-in-one" players (just one component instead of two) look to be about $1999+ MSRP. Correct?

Also, a lot of the verbiage for some of the specifications is vague, especially since each brand has their own "lingo". I know DoP (DSD over PCM) is an option, but since I'm in the market for a new receiver, it'd still be about $1000-1200. So, the thing has to play native DSD, through a disc slot, as well as HDCD decoding (this is a huge one as the vast majority of Grateful Dead stuff is HDCD). I know Sony has the patent for the DSD technology, does that mean any of them over a certain dollar amount can passthrough native DSD if I have a DAC which can decode it?

I'm also planning on getting a PS2 for ripping/extracting purposes...

I realize this is all over the place; I'm really looking for some guidance. I'd like to spend no more than $1500, but if that's not possible, I'd really just like a breakdown of which direction to go (I'd like to stick with Sony, Marantz, or Cambridge Audio if possible).

ETA: And De-Emphasis!#@$
    sorry for the out-of-order of this but I just saw this: do you mean a PS3? Because there's a version of the PS3 that will allow you to rip SACDs after a bit of trickery with the firmware.

as for the rest of your post: good luck. HDCD is fairly rare on cheaper players right now. Combine that with an SACD player and you're looking at some high-level (and high-price) equipment. and not to add to your headache but there is also DSD over HDMI but it will only work if the receiver has the DAC for it, otherwise it's just a PCM signal. the forums at https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/ would be a good place to read up and ask questions if you aren't already.

side note: dbpoweramp and foobar can decode HDCD digital tracks if they are lossless, if it matters. for example you might find that the Grateful Dead albums you're worried about might not matter at all.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    sorry for the out-of-order of this but I just saw this: do you mean a PS3? Because there's a version of the PS3 that will allow you to rip SACDs after a bit of trickery with the firmware.

as for the rest of your post: good luck. HDCD is fairly rare on cheaper players right now. Combine that with an SACD player and you're looking at some high-level (and high-price) equipment. and not to add to your headache but there is also DSD over HDMI but it will only work if the receiver has the DAC for it, otherwise it's just a PCM signal. the forums at https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/ would be a good place to read up and ask questions if you aren't already.

side note: dbpoweramp and foobar can decode HDCD digital tracks if they are lossless, if it matters. for example you might find that the Grateful Dead albums you're worried about might not matter at all.
    Yep, I meant the PS3. Thankee-sai.

The Grateful Dead releases are interesting because only a few include peak extension, and a good portion of the releases are the wrong speed. Unfortunately, Sunshine Daydream is one of them.

I've been trying to find a discounted Marantz SA8005, but no luck so far (MSRP is $1200). We have a Sony UBP-X700 which has been fine for DSD playback. Using a PC+software does seem like the best approach.
    Last edited by Jon; 04-13-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: wordzzz

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I ordered a pair of the new Pixel buds because I have a Pixel phone and have been gradually moving my main listening to it instead of an ipod touch that cannot keep a charge. pare the devices that I carry down a bit. Anyway I ordered them and they have the dreaded static bug feature that only a few people can hear. my dumb ass waited for the firmware update to see if it would work but it didn't and now it's past the return time. my fault, I know this. But I talked to tech support last night and they said "oh well it's working as intended because only a few people hear it". fuck you. I'm stuck with them but fuck you, it's not working as intended.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I ordered a pair of the new Pixel buds because I have a Pixel phone and have been gradually moving my main listening to it instead of an ipod touch that cannot keep a charge. pare the devices that I carry down a bit. Anyway I ordered them and they have the dreaded static bug feature that only a few people can hear. my dumb ass waited for the firmware update to see if it would work but it didn't and now it's past the return time. my fault, I know this. But I talked to tech support last night and they said "oh well it's working as intended because only a few people hear it". fuck you. I'm stuck with them but fuck you, it's not working as intended.
    what's this bug you speak of? i didn't even know the Pixel had its own earbuds

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    If anyone has been thinking about dabbling in headphone amps but never pulled the trigger, this is a pretty solid deal - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33304

(If you go for it, be sure to use the promo code they mention on the product page to knock it down to $80)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    If anyone has been thinking about dabbling in headphone amps but never pulled the trigger, this is a pretty solid deal - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33304

(If you go for it, be sure to use the promo code they mention on the product page to knock it down to $80)
    also, monoprice stuff may look a little...low-grade, but i used a ton of different products of theirs during my time in the a/v world and never had a problem with any of them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So, I'm looking at replacing my Sennheiser HD 477's - had for more years than I care to remember and have served me well. I already have a pair of Sony Noise cancelling's WH1000XM2's - which are great , but would like a decent wired set of over ears for my pc-time - listening via a very old Technics system which still sounds good! Budget of up to £200 (UK-based). Happy to go with Sennheisers, but would consider Sony/Beyer/Audiotechnica and other premium brands too. When looking on Amazon - there is a class of headphones labelled 'studio' - presuming these are generally good for general music consumption too?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    So, I'm looking at replacing my Sennheiser HD 477's - had for more years than I care to remember and have served me well. I already have a pair of Sony Noise cancelling's WH1000XM2's - which are great , but would like a decent wired set of over ears for my pc-time - listening via a very old Technics system which still sounds good! Budget of up to £200 (UK-based). Happy to go with Sennheisers, but would consider Sony/Beyer/Audiotechnica and other premium brands too. When looking on Amazon - there is a class of headphones labelled 'studio' - presuming these are generally good for general music consumption too?
    Yes, but be aware they'll likely be tuned to be as neutral as can be. No bass cannons, no treble knives to your ears (looking at you, Beyer).

The ATH-M50x are great lower-end closed back headphones. They're not entirely neutral--kind of got a v-shaped signature--but they're decent in terms of detail and clarity. They sound great for music until you hear something better and then likely won't want to use them anymore. They take EQ quite well, too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Yes, but be aware they'll likely be tuned to be as neutral as can be. No bass cannons, no treble knives to your ears (looking at you, Beyer).

The ATH-M50x are great lower-end closed back headphones. They're not entirely neutral--kind of got a v-shaped signature--but they're decent in terms of detail and clarity. They sound great for music until you hear something better and then likely won't want to use them anymore. They take EQ quite well, too.
    Thanks for your recommendation. Have seen very varying review re these. How were they comfort-wise, as one review I saw labelled them the second most uncomfortable pair of headphones of all time!?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Thanks for your recommendation. Have seen very varying review re these. How were they comfort-wise, as one review I saw labelled them the second most uncomfortable pair of headphones of all time!?
    Hahaha I find them reasonably comfortable but I also bought some velour replacement pads that were a bit thicker than the stock pads.

Honestly, I don't use them outside of work calls/meetings anymore, though. I just do not enjoy their sound/capabilities compared to the rest of my stable (Stax SR-404, Koss ESP/95X, Dan Clark Audio Ether 2, RAAL/Requisite SR1a) and I generally prefer open-back headphones.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i am currently wearing a pair of M-40x headphones, and i love them. i replaced the pads earlier this year because i wear them a lot and i've had them for a few years (replacement pads i got are comfier than the originals). i actually use them to do a lot of mixing (i find them fairly neutral) as well as listening to records. when i still took public transportation, they were how i'd listen to music on the go. i don't get much ear fatigue from them. i've actually seen people say they prefer the 40s to the 50s, but i can't speak to the difference since i've never used the 50s.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    that's what we've been talking about!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    so my Amazon experience is now entirely in Spanish. wtf. I figured out how to change it back sure, but I've never seen that happen before.
    Last edited by allegate; 09-09-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that's what we've been talking about!
    Just bought the ATH-M50's and love em!

so my Amazon experience is now entirely in Spanish. wtf. I figured out how to change it back sure, but I've never seen that happen before.
    lol, had no idea that would happen, lo siento!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    lo siento!
    that means "shut up" right?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Whoa. This happened to me Wednesday, but after following some link on Twitter. I thought it was just me.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    that means "shut up" right?
    "Shut your pie-hole", actually, lol!

I also ordered the Beyerdynamic DT 240 PRO for my work, according to some reviews they are as good as the Audio-Technica's headphones.

Here's a review: (In english for your comfort, also i found out giving my amazon links fucks it up, lol)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just grabbed the Sony WH-1000MX4's and I'm in love. First pair of over the ear phones I've owned with this sort of noise cancelling quality which is the main selling point for these. Sound quality is pretty good, could be louder but once you tweak the EQ that comes with the headphones app for these makes the range have much more kick.

Going through tons of tracks right now and already hearing so many different sound effects I've never heard before .

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0759QFPQ3/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up these for $50 on sale. Even at normal price, they're a bargain.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    anyone have any recommendations for some circumaural bluetooth headphones for a casual wearer? sarah's been having trouble with her headphone cord getting tangled up with the baby when they're hanging out together and i told her i'd ask around. i've never used bluetooth headphones myself so i have no way of knowing what's good or not.

thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    anyone have any recommendations for some circumaural bluetooth headphones for a casual wearer? sarah's been having trouble with her headphone cord getting tangled up with the baby when they're hanging out together and i told her i'd ask around. i've never used bluetooth headphones myself so i have no way of knowing what's good or not.

thanks in advance!
    I am not an expert in this field but check out the following: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...th-headphones/

The Wirecutter generally does a good job on evaluating the various models out there. Try not to go too deep the rabbit hole of headphones though.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I bought a DAC about a month ago (FiiO K7BT Balanced HiFi DAC Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier) and put it through some work with many different musical styles and headphones. I hated it. I kept reading that the volume is logarithmic but all I could tell is that it only became useful around the 60-70% turn of the knob. And even then it wasn't driving any of my headphones, everything sounded flat. I connected it to my computer to test that part of it out and even then it was weak. it felt like I could put dubstep on and it would sound like a cardboard box.

Probably there's a case to be made that if I had let it burn in it would have gotten better but ~$300 is a lot for a maybe and a real good way to lie to yourself that it sounds better. It also did not help that it turns out my hires audio player does not output via the USB port so it was a headphone cable connected to the unit. Really good way to screw up sound when there are two volume dials to keep in mind.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    The foam on my HD-595s finally fell apart, and I realized they were something like 15 years old, so I sprung for a new pair of HD-600s. They're only ever plugged into either my Macbook Pro or my SSL Big Six.

On a related note, I took advantage of a Black Friday sale and bought the dSoniq Realphones VST plugin, which can also be set up system-wide. Ultimately it's a set of EQ curves that can neutralize headphones based on model-specific profiles, and reverb impulses to simulate being in a car, or a club, or a studio... It's ultimately meant for mastering an album and testing it in different environments, but it's also just kind of fun to change up the feel of what's coming out of your headphones.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    oooh, @Leviathant , you got a Big Six? I was really thinking about getting that.

On topic w/ this thread though, my pair of these recently broke, and as soon as I can justify it I'm replacing them with another pair. Bang for buck, these are incredible.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx