Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1427

Thread: Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Unintended consequences: spooky and awesome sound effects; instrumental with 'the soft moon' likes voice sounds
    The province of fear: nice instrumental, not bad not good, a good filler.

vvv thanks
    Last edited by witte; 03-08-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

I don't like them (the two new additions to WO). I was expecing something more. The beats are nice but I'm fed up with instrumental pieces by reznor & company
    Last edited by dzaver; 03-08-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My actual playlist of synthesis "An Omen"+"Welcome Oblivion":
    1. The Wake-up
    2. Keep It Together
    3. And the Sky Began to Scream
    4. Ice Age
    5. Welcome Oblivion
    6. On the Wing
    7. Too Late, All Gone
    8. The Province of Fear
    9. How Long?
    10. Strings and Attractors
    11. Recursive Self-Improvement
    12. Unintended Consequences
    13. Speaking in tongues
    14. We Fade Away
    15. The sleep of reason produces monsters
    16. The Loop Closes
    17. Hallowed Ground

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Two instrumentals, raise your hand if you saw that one coming.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Both ten miles better than The loop closes

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    A strange little question.

I've really been enjoying the new album! n.n I think it's fantastic. But one thing has been dampening my enjoyment of it...

Apparently whenever I load the MP3s on my MP3 player, they have trouble being read. It takes several seconds for them to play and locks up my MP3 player for the duration. I've had this happen twice before (both from buying direct, not from Amazon or iTunes) and both times it was solved by re-encoding the MP3s to LAME 320 because they used a funky codec that my MP3 player was having issues with. Crude, but easy enough.

But for these it just doesn't WORK. I've tried re-encoding the FLACs to LAME 320 (both VBR and CBR). I've tried re-encoding the MP3s. I've tried clearing the tags, changing the album art, changing the layout of the folders (changing How To Destroy Angels to HTDA, removing the album folder itself, mixing and matching) but to no avail. I have NO idea what's going on. I've uploaded other MP3s since then and they work fine. An Omen and HTDA work fine. It's just Welcome Oblivion. Has anyone else had this problem and could you fix it? O_o I'm pretty computer savvy and this just doesn't make sense to me. There's NO reason for it.

(This is also my first post on the new boards! n.n Whee.)
    Last edited by GrayscaleRain; 03-08-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Minor celebratory edit!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Welcome Oblivion is a great album.
    I don't think my heart is into Trent's instrumentals anymore. Not those one anyway.
    Mariqueen is not a terrible singer.
    The more I listen to Welcome Oblivion, the more I just want to listen to NIN...
    I don't like An Omen EP's existence.
    I still can't stand Keep It Together.
    The Loop Closes is just totally AWESOME
    I kinda like all the new tracks.
    Mariqueen's singing backing melody in How Long's chorus is not the best.
    My wife said the album would have been better if it was Karen O. I laughed, and deeply agreed...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Welcome Oblivion is a great album.
    I don't think my heart is into Trent's instrumentals anymore. Not those one anyway.
    Mariqueen is not a terrible singer.
    The more I listen to Welcome Oblivion, the more I just want to listen to NIN...
    I don't like An Omen EP's existence.
    I still can't stand Keep It Together.
    The Loop Closes is just totally AWESOME
    I kinda like all the new tracks.
    Mariqueen's singing backing melody in How Long's chorus is not the best.
    My wife said the album would have been better if it was Karen O. I laughed, and deeply agreed...
    yep, I'm totally burned out on the instrumentals too. we've been spoiled for the last few years and now I'm ready for some pop songs.

Mariqueen is a fine singer. If anything, I wish there was more of her.

Yeah, once this album came out I sort of feel burned by An Omen but now that I have the perspective on what it was trying to be, I sort of "get it" more. Still, oof. That said, "Speaking in Tongues" might actually be my favorite thing of all of the HTDA stuff.

I've sort of swung back around on Keep It Together, I have no idea why. I liked it when it came out, then got pretty annoyed by it pretty quick, and now I think its pretty rad. Maybe sequencing saved it? (as an opener or stand-alone track its just so blase, but it fits in the album nicely and I appreciate the groove a lot more.)

I seem to be the only one not riding The Loop Closes' dick, which is cool -- I'm glad others like it, but... meh

But overall, 9/10 for me (if I pretend that Speaking in Tongues is on the album).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I actually still really like the instrumentals. I like the two vinyl exclusives and Recursive Self Improvement and Hollowed Ground are probably my favorites off the non-vinyl version. It has nothing to do with vocals, I like the vocal tracks too, but overall I am happy if TR or HTDA continue to pump out instrumentals. I don’t mind some scattered vocal treatments or effects. I think right now, the production side of things is where TR or HTDA or TR and AR is where they are excelling at things. Again, I am not hating on the lyrics or the vocals, I don’t want instrumental versions of all the songs. I am just saying I like the instrumentals.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Something's not right in a community when you have to reiterate three times that when you say you like the instrumentals, you aren't actually crucifying Q's vocals.

I just think four instrumentals in a fifteen track album is a bit much. No wonder they're vinyl-exclusive - I'm no longer interested in the vinyl running order, save for one full run of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    I actually still really like the instrumentals. I like the two vinyl exclusives and Recursive Self Improvement and Hollowed Ground are probably my favorites off the non-vinyl version. It has nothing to do with vocals, I like the vocal tracks too, but overall I am happy if TR or HTDA continue to pump out instrumentals. I don’t mind some scattered vocal treatments or effects. I think right now, the production side of things is where TR or HTDA or TR and AR is where they are excelling at things. Again, I am not hating on the lyrics or the vocals, I don’t want instrumental versions of all the songs. I am just saying I like the instrumentals.
    I don't mind the instrumentals, they are just too damn long.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Something's not right in a community when you have to reiterate three times that when you say you like the instrumentals, you aren't actually crucifying Q's vocals.
    Well, I think part of that comes from... I mean, have you looked at the comments on the Yahoo News article about HTDA? I don't think we have anyone quite like that here at ETS, but christ almighty, everywhere else there are a lot of folks who have really awful complaints about Mariqueen that have nothing to do with her singing abilities or what people think of them.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    You'd think a digital download copy in flac would be allot cheaper then 11$ seriously for 1$ more i get the cd wtf is that with pricing. I was thinking about buying the hd flac but i think now I am going to save my $

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

I was listening a lot to WO theses days and I must say that I love the album. The concept behind it, the art, the music, vocals etc. the only thing that maybe bothers me are the instrumentals cause are kind of boring - especially recursive self-improvement - god I hate this track. It drags and drags... horrible.

So yeah, love the album. But I was thinking why I'm not so into it with feelings. And I guess beacuse everything is so polished... The only point where I feel something is at the breakdown in "and the sky began to scream". To everything else I'm pulled, I listen to it, I'm fascinated and I like it but no hard feelings evoked. Mostly dull and enyoing it. Kind of ambivalent feeling to it.
    Last edited by dzaver; 03-08-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Y'all are crazy. Province Of Fear is unreal. One of the best beats on the album.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Why'd you have to post links now I'm going to be tempted for a fortnight

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Is it just me or does Unintended Consequences totally end with the same sound that opens Ice Age, as if it's supposed to transition into that song?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Just after a few listens and something about the vocal-performance and the lyrics on the album really annoy me. It sounds a bit too clean and posed for my taste, I guess. The fact, that the lyrics aren't exactly above generic level, doesn't help either. It's just... all the conceptual stuff, the videos, the ridiculous Spelling_, the way how serious they appear to treat their music (and themselves), all this talk about marketing strategies and holding back on releasing the thing for almost a year, ... it all adds to making the whole thing seem incredibly bloated to me.

I understand that it's always been this way with NIN, too. And I'm beginning to wonder if I'd feel the same about TF or TDS, would I hear 'em for the first time now. I really liked The Slip because it felt like Trent had something to say... about the business and his role/place in it... there was a voice there and it seemed like he actually had fun making it, while not tinkering on details for months or years... the record - while not perfect - felt spontaneous and fun. And that's exactly what I feel is missing on the HTDA stuff. Concept and lyrics just come across as corny as can be. I can't make out any voice of importance here.. nor any interesting takes on the topic... or simply fun lyrics. It just feels like a concept made up in hour long sessions by 4 friends after just having seen The Road in theatres.
    WO is playing it safe by adding dark lyrics (See: NIN) and dystopian topics (see: NIN) to noisy beats (see: NIN). When Trent said he wanted to challenge himself musically and artistically, I certainly didn't expect him to challenge himself by collaborating with friends/family or interchanging the personal of the live band, while releasing awfully similar music for 4 years and playing HLAH on festivals... again. Especially after his publicist put in all the work in the "Wave Goodbye" and "It doesn't feel like me anymore" arena.

That being said... I can totally see, why people are digging/loving the album. The band caters to the choir here and if you can't get enough of top notch dark beats with cheesy lyrics NIN style, this is for you and you should buy and listen the hell out of it...
    Last edited by r_z; 03-08-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Is it just me or does Unintended Consequences totally end with the same sound that opens Ice Age, as if it's supposed to transition into that song?
    Erm, isn't it the opening of Speaking In Tongues that it transitions into?

:edit: Clue to the one true playing order! First person to nail it is the greatest of all the knights at the Round Table.
    Though it does present the issue of whether it should go before or after We Fade Away... sigh. I'm going to bed.
    Last edited by Vertigo; 03-08-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Erm, isn't it the opening of Speaking In Tongues that it transitions into?

:edit: Clue to the one true playing order! First one to nail it is the greatest of all the knights at the round table. Though it does present the issue of whether it should go before or after We Fade Away... sigh. I'm going to bed.
    It comes directly before We Fade Away, according to the tracklisting.

Never mind, I totally missed the point of your edit. But that's where it is officially.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Just after a few listens and something about the vocal-performance and the lyrics on the album really annoy me. It sounds a bit too clean and posed for my taste, I guess. The fact, that the lyrics aren't exactly above generic level, doesn't help either. It's just... all the conceptual stuff, the videos, the ridiculous Spelling_, the way how serious they appear to treat their music (and themselves), all this talk about marketing strategies and holding back on releasing the thing for almost a year, ... it all adds to making the whole thing seem incredibly bloated to me.

I understand that it's always been this way with NIN, too. And I'm beginning to wonder if I'd feel the same about TF or TDS, would I hear 'em for the first time now. I really liked The Slip because it felt like Trent had something to say... about the business and his role/place in it... there was a voice there and it seemed like he actually had fun making it, while not tinkering on details for months or years... the record - while not perfect - felt spontaneous and fun. And that's exactly what I feel is missing on the HTDA stuff. Concept and lyrics just come across as corny as can be. I can't make out any voice of importance here.. nor any interesting takes on the topic... or simply fun lyrics. It just feels like a concept made up in hour long sessions by 4 friends after just having seen The Road in theatres.
    WO is playing it safe by adding dark lyrics (See: NIN) and dystopian topics (see: NIN) to noisy beats (see: NIN). When Trent said he wanted to challenge himself musically and artistically, I certainly didn't expect him to challenge himself by collaborating with friends/family or interchanging the personal of the live band, while releasing awfully similar music for 4 years and playing HLAH on festivals... again. Especially after his publicist put in all the work in the "Wave Goodbye" and "It doesn't feel like me anymore" arena.

That being said... I can totally see, why people are digging/loving the album. The band caters to the choir here and if you can't get enough of top notch dark beats with cheesy lyrics NIN style, this is for you and you should buy and listen the hell out of it...
    Agreed.
    Trent needs new demons to haunt him.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Maybe his next album should be about his fans.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    Agreed.
    Trent needs new demons to haunt him.
    The facepalm button just isn't strong enough

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Anyone care to PM me the 2 vinyl bonus tracks in mp3?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^ +1 for me. a PM would be nice if possible. would like to download the white label CD besides from the torrent sites. many thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm quite liking the extra tracks. Was hoping for some vocals but I was assuming they'd be instrumentals so no biggy. Wouldn't say they surpassed Recursive Self Improvement but I adore that weird ass track something fierce so that's hardly an insult. I can see them quite happily sitting inbetween the other tracks.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    quite like "The province of fear" but "Unintended consequences" kinda drags for me (like "Recursive..."). glad to have them, though; they both carry the feel of the apocalypse and big brother and the general themes of the album.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Anyone know what tracks are on what side of the records?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    It comes directly before We Fade Away, according to the tracklisting.

Never mind, I totally missed the point of your edit. But that's where it is officially.
    Well, the point is that on the vinyl, Speaking In Tongues would come directly before We Fade Away, but on the CD WFA is before Recursive Self Improvement, which immediately precedes Unintended Consequences and, consequently (hilarious), SIT.

I'll second Sheepdean in wanting to know how the vinyl's sides are divided in terms of the track list, and third Reznor2112 and Neorev in saying that it would be absolutely terrible if someone PM'd me links to lossless versions of those two extra tracks. An awful and dispicable thing to do. I could never, ever possibly forgive that person. Especially if they were in M4A format.