Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: shoegaze/dreampop

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I don't want to say "I told you so" but I bet you'll check them out now!
    why? what? oh i see, they're opening for HTDA, gotcha. i've had that LP since middle of last year. it's well enough, though the highlight is 'doused' by a country mile. the real issue i have with the captured tracks stuff is how obvious they rip off their influences (especially the factory records wake). diiv is the best of that lot, and the soft moon are easily the best band on that label.

best new shoegaze artist for me is still tamaryn by a long shot.

Last edited by frankie teardrop; 03-05-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I was really into these guys for awhile, this song in particular although while feeling very familiar is everything wrapped up into one about what interests me about dream pop/shoegaze kind of material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I stumbled upon this Swedish band the other day: http://starhorse.bandcamp.com/album/lust

Record of 2013, so far, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here are some goodies:

Curve - Horror Head

Slowdive - In Mind
    (forgotten incredible song)

Slowdive - Catch the Breeze
    (amazing live performance; mindblowing song)

Slowdive - Shine
    (probably my favorite Slowdive song; it's absolutely superb)

Chapterhouse - Don't Look Now

Ulrich Schnauss - In All the Wrong Places

School of Seven Bells - The Night

SPC ECO - For All Time
    (new band of Dean Garcia from Curve)

Dean Garcia feat. Chibi - All For You
    (a collaboration between Dean Garcia from Curve and Chibi from The Birthday Massacre; astonishing song)

Last edited by deepblue; 03-16-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I find it weird how this scene sort of vanished around 1994 all the bands seemed to disappear amid Grunge and Britpop. Which were more commercially accessible but inferior, And suddenly in the last 5 years its influence is everywhere. Its kind of like what happened with Post Punk, the new wave awful 80s crap blocked peoples memory and throughout the 90s that post punk sound was totally redundant and nowhere to be heard then suddenly in early 00s all these bands started sounding like Gang Of Four and A Certain Ratio, with the DFA, Rapture and New York material. And now that sound has vanished again.
    I do think that the best periods for Music though were from about 1978-1982 and this period late 80s early 90s.
    But both brilliant eras of music sort of got totally swept away for a while from what was around.
    Think it takes time for people to asses music from the past to realize whats good and worth remembering.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It's because music / fashion is a cycle. Kids in the 90's who listened to 'dreampop' etc are now old enough to be in successful bands, hence the revival, then people hear those bands and are like "lol! me too!" and start their own bands.
    I shit you not that we will see the return of nu-metal in some shape or form, you won't even know its happening then boom!

Anyway. If anyone gets a chance I highly recommend Deaf Club, from Wales, just been over playing SXSW and will hopefully go on to big things this year: http://www.deafclubmusic.co.uk/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Been listening to a lot of The Sundays of late. Beautiful dream pop. The first album is far and away the best, but the later ones are pleasant too.

Can't get enough of this track in particular:

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I miss the Sundays. Their first album is truly a classic. Their second and third are actually really good. Where are they?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    more on the darkwave, gothic, lo-fi hybrid side of the spectrum with a lot of shoegaze tendencies:

i just found out about this one-woman project last night, and it's already set my bar pretty high for my own music.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    the new gliss album is hot

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    for slowdive fans, featuring a member:

just discovered this band recently- listening to this album once a day...great mix of male/female vox.

also, for those into bethany curve, i finally tracked down their first demo cassette, mee-eaux and posted it at my blogspot. worth hearing for sure!
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 04-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Eternal! Keep forgetting about their existence.

As for my latest discovery:
    Prolific indie group that, despite being right up my alley, still active and Australian, managed to slip under my radar. Kind of a House of Love / Church vibe to their early stuff. They've since gone in a more electronic-oriented direction.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Re: shoegaze/dreampop

Sorry to doublepost but Medicine recently announced a new album (slated for August via Captured Tracks). Should be interesting at the very least, judging by the bizarre new mind screw of a single.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm sure I told this story before, but discovering a lot of this music (especially Slowdive, Spiritualized, Lush and a few others) is actually what got me into NIN. AOL (I think) had an online station that played quite a lot of the bands talked about here. They also played the odd Radiohead, Pink Floyd or Peter Gabriel track as well which suited me perfectly. They only had one NIN track that I could remember, "The Great Below". That song really turned my perception of what I thought Trent did upside down, and I became a fan over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    just grabbed the slowdive self titled EP, the one with avalyn 1&2 on it

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    new tamaryn track (with jorge elbrecht of lansing dreiden) via mexican summer:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/...er-ft-tamaryn/

this appears on a bonus 7'' with the reissue. the song is a cover of turning shrines, a psychic tv offshoot, hence being bundled with the reissue. i originally posted the original 12'' on my blog, turning tamaryn onto it, who then had her label put together this excellent reissue. regardless of my involvement here, this kicks ass on all levels.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Recently heavier bands that are blatantly influenced by Shoegaze have really been doing it for me.
    Can anyone point towards some decent Shoegazey type metal. Have always loved the slightly heavier shoegaze sound.
    Some friends suggested some Shoegaze Metal type stuff but most of it when i heard it sounded very prog rock. And could not really get into it.
    Jesu is the only band i can think of with this sound i love. A lot of Metal in general was influenced by the distorted sound. Bands like Deftones but they dont really do much for me.

For some reason Type O Negative have been on the top of my playlists for about a year, i adore their sound, i was late getting into them i ignored them when they were around i was ignorant and assumed they sounded like a goth Metallica so avoided them.
    But it really surprised me how good they are. Pete was open about his love for Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine, Lush, Curve etc. Can definetly hear the influence in their music. I love the guitar sound. Its a bit like Bob Moulds from Husker Du but it has loads and loads of Reverb and creates a very euphoric crushing sound.
    Cinammon Girl their cover of Neil Young is basically psychadelic metallic Shoegaze. Its fucking perfect. Its like a goth Oasis.
    Life is Killing me is doing it for me most at the moment. But is there any bands with a harder Shoegaze sound that is not too progressive?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    here's yr answer, in clip form:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Amesoeurs' s/t album is easily the best example of the "genre" I've heard. Also got major post-punk vibes too. Excellent album all around.

Edit: Just realised video above covers more than Amesoeurs so my first two recommendations are kind of moot.

Alcest is another obvious answer.

Lantlos

Tombs - (also have a big Godflesh-y thing going on with some tracks)

An Autumn for Crippled Children

Liam - (Lantlos side-project.)
    http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=5G7EcL48cIY

You could also try heavier modern shoegaze inspired bands like True Widow or Broken Water. Not strictly metal but definitely heavier than your garden variety band.

Last edited by xmd 5a; 04-24-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Recently heavier bands that are blatantly influenced by Shoegaze have really been doing it for me.
    Can anyone point towards some decent Shoegazey type metal. Have always loved the slightly heavier shoegaze sound.
    Some friends suggested some Shoegaze Metal type stuff but most of it when i heard it sounded very prog rock. And could not really get into it.
    Jesu is the only band i can think of with this sound i love. A lot of Metal in general was influenced by the distorted sound. Bands like Deftones but they dont really do much for me.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...ion-new-album/

Psyched for this one. KOD are one of my absolute favourite shoegaze bands.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ringo Deathstarr from Texas are one of those groups i dismissed as sounding far too much (fucking identical) to the two gods of the genre Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine.
    First heard them in 2007 i loved the first EP and saw them live back in 07 i had no idea they were American, they used to tour England loads but then i totally forgot about them until the other day when i suddenly remembered them and gave their first proper album Colour Trip a listen which came out in 2011.
    And boy oh boy its fucking immense, what an album. They may be totally unoriginal but i dont give a fuck its mindlowingly beautiful. its a glorious homage to My Bloody Valentine, if the first EP from 07 was the Jesus and Mary Chain rip off this one is identical to MBV.
    If their music was not this good would probably hate them for being total palgarists but when the music is this good you cant get all angry, just reminds you how wonderful classic shoegaze can be.

Last edited by Highly Psychological; 06-11-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

slow buildings, while nowhere near as good as their first two, is criminally underlooked. this song starts like mazzy star's 'fade into you' in progression and then becomes it's own unrequited love song during the second half. a stunner...

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Speaking of Mazzy Star, the new album has finally been announced. It will be out on September 24 and it's called Seasons Of Your Day.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

shoegaze/dreampop

wow this is great news! thank you!

and new single out yesterday too,
    it's called "California"

http://www.rollingstone.com/?redirur...6&seenSplash=1

Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Speaking of Mazzy Star, the new album has finally been announced. It will be out on September 24 and it's called Seasons Of Your Day.

little by little we went insane
    Last edited by [parasite]; 07-17-2013 at 04:25 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yet more evidence of 2013's supremacy as far as music goes. Especially for this genre, come to think of it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    just found an article on Mazzy Star

the Guardian.co.uk Mazzy Star: a beginners guide

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The new Kitchens of Distinction album is scheduled for 30th Sept. Can't wait!