Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alt.music.nin on September 27, 1993
    Well, kids, here's the way I see it.
    The first time I heard pretty hate machine I almost blew my nuts.
    The lyrics were captivating the music cliked.
    The first time I heard broken/fixed I thought it sucked.
    It sounded too much like speed metal. Then I listened to it more.It still sucks.
    I hope the next album is more like phm.
    Just my opinion.
    ------
    Seconded. Ministry does the speed-metal genre better, IMHO.
    ------
    I agree, PHM was his only good CD so far....Broken and fixed was aimed at the stupid lollapoloza crowd..

Seriously guys, like I said, it's ALWAYS been like this.

The trouble is people tend to build a relationship with the music and then Trent ___________ and they feel betrayed, let down, etc. and the break up goes horribly. Sometimes, it's like the ex-girlfriend I had way back when who used to call me up and tell me how she was gonna throw herself in front of a bus because I wouldn't get back together with her.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^i'm sure I read an interview where Trent said someone waited by the tour bus for hours to tell him, to his face, that the Downward Spiral sucked

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    Seriously guys, like I said, it's ALWAYS been like this.

The trouble is people tend to build a relationship with the music and then Trent ___________ and they feel betrayed, let down, etc. and the break up goes horribly. Sometimes, it's like the ex-girlfriend I had way back when who used to call me up and tell me how she was gonna throw herself in front of a bus because I wouldn't get back together with her.
    [/FONT]
    Is it really a "trouble" that people voice their thoughts on new music from bands they enjoy? Is there a need to address their discussions on a forum like an issue and polarize the camp as either "yes men" or "bitter assholes"? Where's the nuance in being a fan and discussing the ups and downs of a piece of art? We're not talking politics here (which also could use some nuance), we're voicing our often passionate and different views on music, much like Trent does to musicians all the time. Hint, Chris Cornell's adventures with Timbaland and Trent's amusing and hard hitting POV's.
    Last edited by hobochic; 06-17-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaned View Post
    The problem isn't that people voice their thoughts, is that they act like they're entitled to new music written in a certain way for them. There's a big difference between saying that you don't like a piece of art and acting like the artist should have consulted you and that the sky is falling as a result of them creating what they want to create​.
    I would love if you linked me to some of those posts. I've clearly missed them

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaned View Post
    The problem isn't that people voice their thoughts, is that they act like they're entitled to new music written in a certain way for them. There's a big difference between saying that you don't like a piece of art and acting like the artist should have consulted you and that the sky is falling as a result of them creating what they want to create​.
    To be fair it would have been nice if Reznor had consulted me.......