Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns N' Roses

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Quality vs quantity.
    Their greatest hits = proven quality. Some new theoretical record = may or may not be quality. I'll take 200 minutes of proven quality for $100; I probably wouldn't pay $100 to hear only a new GnR album and TBH I'd bet most of the people going to their current crop of shows wouldn't either.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    Their greatest hits = proven quality. Some new theoretical record = may or may not be quality. I'll take 200 minutes of proven quality for $100; I probably wouldn't pay $100 to hear only a new GnR album and TBH I'd bet most of the people going to their current crop of shows wouldn't either.
    I am in agreement with you. I think this is the only forum I have seen where someone actually complains when a band plays for over 3.5 hours with a setlist like the one GnR has had over the last several shows. If you are a fan of GnR, I am unsure what else they could do to make you happy? Sure a little more variety would be fine, and yeah it would be nice to see Izzy and Adler (I can honestly live without). But I also understand that, with shows with production as big as their's, that making up a setlist on the fly is close to impossible. I will very happily give Axl and his band my money again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    I am in agreement with you. I think this is the only forum I have seen where someone actually complains when a band plays for over 3.5 hours with a setlist like the one GnR has had over the last several shows. If you are a fan of GnR, I am unsure what else they could do to make you happy? Sure a little more variety would be fine, and yeah it would be nice to see Izzy and Adler (I can honestly live without). But I also understand that, with shows with production as big as their's, that making up a setlist on the fly is close to impossible. I will very happily give Axl and his band my money again.
    Axl being able to sing would be enough for me.

I don’t think the setlist should be restricted by their “big production” which is what... some big screens with tacky visuals?

Honestly, I don’t care Izzy and Adler aren’t there. My one concern with this band (other than being a nostalgia act at the moment) is Axl inability (and apparent unwillingness) to sing his own songs. And I’m not talking about that famous “rasp”, i’m talking about his pitch. He absolutely crushed it with ACDC though, but he doesn’t seem to put the same effort in guns. That must be the difference between being an employee vs employer I guess.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Axl doesn't have the pipes he did 25 years ago, but he sounds great for a 56 year old rocker. To say he can't sing his own material just isn't true.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yup ^ They sounded fucking amazing considering their age when I saw them live like 6 months ago. I'm gonna take a guess and say tremelo actually hasn't seen them live and is entirely basing his opinions on shitty youtube videos. Complaining about a 3 hour long 30 song set list is pretty hilarious. Also, if Axl apparently can't sing why the fuck would you want them to put out new material lol?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    There’s a misunderstanding in the argument:

Nobody is complaining that the show is too long. I don’t know why you guys keep on bringing it up, when the length of the shows has never been an issue.

A long show is not a trump card you can use to make it seem that it’s all good.

I’ve been to 2 shows, one in Santiago, Chile, and one in Toronto. To my ears, the onein Chile was way worse. And no, it’s not an evil youtube algrithm that screws up the audio and makes Axl sound bad while the rest of the band gives a solid performance.

I like the band, I like Axl’s creative drive, and I think GNR (in its different lineups) have released amazing music, but I wouldn’t pretend Axl’s vocals are up there in terms of quality. It’s not that he abaolutely butchers every single song, but the guy has trouble with pitch, which means he just goes out of tune a bit too often.

Crazy thing is he was much better with ACDC. I don’t understand why, but it is what it is.

And yeah, I’d love new material, cause Axl can still deliver good vocals, and maybe this time he can adapt his singing in a way that he can make the best out of it instead of trying to sing songs that he can’t perform that well anymore.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Axl is in his latter 50’s now, I think singers should get some slack for not being in their prime at that age.

Its like Maynard James Keenan- for whatever reason he sounds the best live when doing APC over the past decade or so. It’s probably just a combination of age and how the vocals are done for each song.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Its like Maynard James Keenan- for whatever reason he sounds the best live when doing APC over the past decade or so
    also because he sits high in the mix for APC but buried in the middle for Tool. I mean I understand why but still...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Axl is in his latter 50’s now, I think singers should get some slack for not being in their prime at that age.

Its like Maynard James Keenan- for whatever reason he sounds the best live when doing APC over the past decade or so. It’s probably just a combination of age and how the vocals are done for each song.
    I don’t expect him to sing like it’s 1993. The man struggles with some of his material, I’m sure he could do something about it, even rework some vocal melodies so he can sing them more comfortably? It’s mostly his midrange that means trouble. I’d love to hear more Axl singing in his lower register, kinda like Brownstone or Shackler’s.

He seems to go through episodes where he sings worse.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    also because he sits high in the mix for APC but buried in the middle for Tool. I mean I understand why but still...
    i dont understand why, do tell....

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    i dont understand why, do tell....
    APC/Puscifer = he's the lead singer
    Tool = he's 1 of 4 equal parts

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Dizzy Reed has a new album that's pretty good. You can listen here:
    http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2018...oll-aint-easy/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Any news/rumours of new GNR music?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Any news/rumours of new GNR music?
    Nope.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Go to GNR.FM (new website) and click tune in, "Shawdow of Your Love" is played. News on Friday, likely an AFD deluxe edition.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Go to GNR.FM (new website) and click tune in, "Shawdow of Your Love" is played. News on Friday, likely an AFD deluxe edition.
    That’s most likely what it is.

The posters that have been spotted are pretty cool. I’d like to steal one of Izzy and one of Axl.

It’s a year late, but if they do this right it could be a great re-release with demos, unreleased songs of the era, live footage, etc. Hopefully they will get this right.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Guns N’ Roses Announce Appetite For Destruction Box Set With 49 Unreleased Tracks

Lots of times, when classic albums get deluxe box-set reissues, the extra tracks don’t make that much of a difference. This is not one of those times. Next month, Guns N’ Roses will release a brand-new edition of their ridiculously great, moment-defining 1987 debut Appetite For Destruction, and it’ll include a grand total of 49 unreleased tracks, as well as lots of previously-released music from the same era. This is one of the greatest rock bands of all time, at their absolute nihilistic peak. This matters.

GN’R have been teasing the announcement of this box set with a countdown clock, and while they’ve now announced that it’ll be out next month, they haven’t yet shared crucial details like the tracklist. But as Blabbermouth reports, the new box set will appear on four CDs or on seven 180-gram LPs. It’ll include a remastered version of the original album, as well as the 1986 EP Live ?!*@ Like A Suicide and another EP that’ll include the B-sides from that era. Also included: 25 previously unreleased recordings from the band’s sessions at Sound City studios in 1986 and two songs from the Appetite sessions that they recorded with producer Mike Clink.

There is non-musical stuff in there, too, like a 96-page book with unpublished photos from Axl Rose’s personal vault and 12 lithos, one for each of the songs from Appetite.

Here is an unboxing video...

Locked N' Loaded out on 6/29/18

https://www.stereogum.com/1994478/gu...d-tracks/news/

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...struction/amp/

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gun...n-due-in-june/
    Last edited by neorev; 05-04-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Shit, that looks fucking cool.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Available here:
    http://www.gnrmerch.com
    Last edited by neorev; 05-04-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @thevoid99
    Found prices and different editions/versions

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Damn..... I'll just download all of the audio stuff and get the vinyl whenever I buy a vinyl player.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    That massive crate looks sweet, but out of my price range. I'll go with the next one. Will be nice to hear cleaned up, new versions of "Shadow of your love," and AFD-era "November Rain."

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    $179.00 is an amazing price. I might buy it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, it looks like the AFD boxset will be incomplete as "One In A Million" will not be included due to racism and homophobia. Honestly, I am a tad annoyed by this. The track is out there. Been out there. Still out there. This seems just stupid to not include now.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/guns-n...illion-2310329

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Well, it looks like the AFD boxset will be incomplete as "One In A Million" will not be included due to racism and homophobia. Honestly, I am a tad annoyed by this. The track is out there. Been out there. Still out there. This seems just stupid to not include now.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/guns-n...illion-2310329
    Agreed, I had this on cassette when it first came out and never once did I think "Hey this is going to ruin the life of many young African Americans and immigrants foreverrrrr" It's just a song by a guy. I remember there being a news report about it on MTV at the time.

I'm not insensitive, I just don't get destroyed by lyrics.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Agreed, I had this on cassette when it first came out and never once did I think "Hey this is going to ruin the life of many young African Americans and immigrants foreverrrrr" It's just a song by a guy. I remember there being a news report about it on MTV at the time.

I'm not insensitive, I just don't get destroyed by lyrics.
    Same here. This seems to ruin the whole point of this reissue if you're gonna remove tracks. It's from another time.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I think there's a difference between doing (releasing) some stupid shit (said song) when you're young or actively endorsing that same thing when you're an older person in a time where times have changed.

It could also be considered as some kind of statement by not re-releasing a song like THAT today, actually. Like... I know it's out there, if you must have it just get it, but I'm not endorsing it now as I'm older and wiser because of reasons...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's just hysterical that "One In A Million" is such a problem that it had to be removed from the reissue, but "I Used To Love Her" is perfectly okay and is still on the release. Don't say f----t or n----r, but a song about murdering the girl you used to love is perfectly fine. It's just comical to me. While you think we are moving forward, it really seems like we have gone backwards.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't think anyone is really freaking out about "one in a million", the band just doesn't feel like putting it out in 2018. There hasn't been a huge amount of outrage or people calling for them to not release it AFAIK, they just personally don't want to do it, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I personally think it's a shitty song that detracts more from that album than it adds and honestly if I were them I'd do the same, but i don't really care either way. It's really not a problem. No one's claiming "this is going to ruin the life of many young African Americans and immigrants foreverrrrr" its just a shit song lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    I don't think anyone is really freaking out about "one in a million", the band just doesn't feel like putting it out in 2018. There hasn't been a huge amount of outrage or people calling for them to not release it AFAIK, they just personally don't want to do it, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I personally think it's a shitty song that detracts more from that album than it adds and honestly if I were them I'd do the same, but i don't really care either way. It's really not a problem. No one's claiming "this is going to ruin the life of many young African Americans and immigrants foreverrrrr" its just a shit song lol.

Yeah, but I like the song for nothing to do with the lyrics.