Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Anyone else's starfuckers got silent around the 10 second mark?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    No, in fact, most of the files are upsampled from 44.1 (a few appear to be 48 and 1 peaks at 18 kHz). The only track that you may have "lost" something on is "Missing Places" (notice there are a few spikes up to 34 kHz):

I noticed that too. That's completely fucked up ! That takes space on drives that is unnecessary, that's showing 96kHz while it's 44.1kHz (and the Mark has been made seems to be coming from a MP3 source...). We paid 80$ for THOSE hi-res files ???

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Maybe this is the real reason he didn't sell the digital files separately. People who specifically bought them would be freaking out after loading them into their spectrum analyzer. But if they're just a bonus with your vinyl... no harm, no foul. Or maybe this is just Trent's middle finger to the folks that prefer digital over vinyl.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Chances are, that's how they were recorded. And some people upsample things to 24bit 96khz for mastering for reasons I don't remember.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I poked around the tracks without giving a full run-through. I love Feeders as a full track--I hear a lot of TGWTDT elements there. The Somewhat Damaged instrumental has the same electronics at the end as the Apple Music version, ha...wonder if TR really regrets not putting those in there the first time. Need to spin the full vinyl when I get it.

QUESTION: in my PDF booklet, featuring more amazing photography by David Carson, the NIN logo appears in a stretched aspect ratio at times. Anyone else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like how he arbitrarily chose to include and omit certain BUVs, shows the meticulous nature of this release.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I feel like these more drum and bass tracks are the missing link between the perfect drug and the fragile. That road he said he decided not to go down . The fragile could've ended up sounding a lot different. But you can hear elements of other songs, WITT, starfuckers, the big comedown....I wonder which were first. Did those tracks lead to the ones we know and love or, we're those tracks made to almost be like a reprise.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    I feel like these more drum and bass tracks are the missing link between the perfect drug and the fragile. That road he said he decided not to go down . The fragile could've ended up sounding a lot different. But you can hear elements of other songs, WITT, starfuckers, the big comedown....I wonder which were first. Did those tracks lead to the ones we know and love or, we're those tracks made to almost be like a reprise.
    "Was it worth it" in particular. If NIN had release something in 97 or 98.... It would have probably been that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    "Missing places" miiiiight have inspired BBB by HTDA, whaddayathink folks?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I can't wait to listen to this in the spring when I (maybe) get my vinyl.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Fascinating theory about the D&B missing links...wonder if The Perfect Drug could be paired with those and Complication to create a cool lil' bootleg EP.

What I love about NIN is that ao many genres fall under its umbrella: dance pop, hard rock, industrial metal, D&B, ambient, hmmmm.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Fascinating theory about the D&B missing links...wonder if The Perfect Drug could be paired with those and Complication to create a cool lil' bootleg EP.
    There's a topic around here somewhere with people making EPs with cover art and sharing tracklists. Go forth!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any chance to get the Deviations pdf file? I'm still waiting my download link! Thanx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    I noticed that too. That's completely fucked up ! That takes space on drives that is unnecessary, that's showing 96kHz while it's 44.1kHz (and the Mark has been made seems to be coming from a MP3 source...). We paid 80$ for THOSE hi-res files ???
    Just curious if maybe back in the late nineties if 96 khz was even a thing yet? Gotta remember how limited the processing power was on even the top of the line Macs from back in that era. Still, even if all of the source material was recorded in 44.1 or 48 khz, there's not much point in upscaling it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermc View Post
    Just curious if maybe back in the late nineties if 96 khz was even a thing yet? Gotta remember how limited the processing power was on even the top of the line Macs from back in that era. Still, even if all of the source material was recorded in 44.1 or 48 khz, there's not much point in upscaling it.
    Somebody told me that Pro Tools (I guess that what Trent was - is - using) wasn't doing 96kHz til 2002. So chances are the digital files were indeed 44.1kHz. its a great sampling frequency though. So you can still do those 24/44.1 files, don't sell it as 96... In terms of signal it doesn't make sense. Maybe in terms of actual DAC limitations, filters it is better but I never saw a good explanation.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ok, Very vague question.

Has anyone started to match the song titles up with the abbreviated recording notes found on NIN.com in the late 90s..... they were archive somewhere....some one must know what I'm tried to badly explain.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    THIS!!!....
    http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post...blished-on-the

"Endless revisions....TR Decides to restructure the entire into to WITT (We're in this together) due to "Emotional difficulties" hes having with the feel of it....I wonder what happenS with the parts they don't use......"

The track before WITT on Deviations is "Missing Places", which sounds suspiciously like an intro to WITT......

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post
    Ok, Very vague question.

Has anyone started to match the song titles up with the abbreviated recording notes found on NIN.com in the late 90s..... they were archive somewhere....some one must know what I'm tried to badly explain.
    Are you talking about the journal notes? The tracks mentioned in them were Somewhat Damaged, Ten Miles High, We're In This Together, and The Day The World Went Away. You can find them here http://www.theninhotline.net/halo99/01/01.htm

I haven't looked through the other photos listed there to see if anyhting matches up on them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    Are you talking about the journal notes? The tracks mentioned in them were Somewhat Damaged, Ten Miles High, We're In This Together, and The Day The World Went Away. You can find them here http://www.theninhotline.net/halo99/01/01.htm

I haven't looked through the other photos listed there to see if anyhting matches up on them.

Thats them. Interesting to put all this information together after 17 years. But yeah Missing Places is clearly that intro to We're in this together.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    Somebody told me that Pro Tools (I guess that what Trent was - is - using) wasn't doing 96kHz til 2002. So chances are the digital files were indeed 44.1kHz. its a great sampling frequency though. So you can still do those 24/44.1 files, don't sell it as 96... In terms of signal it doesn't make sense. Maybe in terms of actual DAC limitations, filters it is better but I never saw a good explanation.
    It has been suggested in this forum and on reddit earlier today that the multitracks for all the albums up to and possibly including The Fragile were analog. (I have no idea if that is true; I had long assumed they were digital and likely lower fi than 24/96 based on the time period.) If that is true (big if), and that's where they started for these remasters, then they could get meaningful 24/96. But if the spectrographs are indicating that that the data is really 44.1...

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    A couple things:
    First off, sincere apologies for any problems you've encountered with the store. As you know, we care about the details and this was certainly NOT acceptable (and fucking infuriating on my end, too). Changes are being made and again... we are sorry about this.

Meanwhile, a few answers on other topics.

NTAE was recorded at 24/48 (which is what we currently use for everything for a variety of reasons), hence the highest version
    that exists is the same.

The DE versions are at 24/96 because: we re-assembled the records from the original mix sources (some were analog 1/2", some were DAT, some were PT sessions) and our mastering engineer processed them in the analog world and recorded them back to digital at the higher resolution.
    Keep in mind the digital downloads of the DE versions are what we are making the vinyl from - they are the vinyl configurations which in some cases differ from the CD.

When a track from Deviations says (Instrumental), that's because at some point that track had vocals on it. Those could be finished, a demo or just an outline.

Get off the internet and engage with live humans (or pets) - it's Xmas eve!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teitan View Post
    You first.

Merry Christmas Santa!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last edited by neorev; 12-24-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A couple things:
    First off, sincere apologies for any problems you've encountered with the store. As you know, we care about the details and this was certainly NOT acceptable (and fucking infuriating on my end, too). Changes are being made and again... we are sorry about this.

Meanwhile, a few answers on other topics.

NTAE was recorded at 24/48 (which is what we currently use for everything for a variety of reasons), hence the highest version
    that exists is the same.

The DE versions are at 24/96 because: we re-assembled the records from the original mix sources (some were analog 1/2", some were DAT, some were PT sessions) and our mastering engineer processed them in the analog world and recorded them back to digital at the higher resolution.
    Keep in mind the digital downloads of the DE versions are what we are making the vinyl from - they are the vinyl configurations which in some cases differ from the CD.

When a track from Deviations says (Instrumental), that's because at some point that track had vocals on it. Those could be finished, a demo or just an outline.

best post ever... goodnight everyone

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    As I'm procrastinating tidying up after my Xmas party...yeah, you should have got your fans to release it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Why can't I engage with my beautiful AI girl?!?

Merry Christmas!

And Merry Christmas everyone! <3

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Gimmie
    (merry Christmas Trent, thank you for all you've done for us the last 20something years.)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Just killing time until everyone is asleep and I can put the presents under the tree. Some people can't be trusted to not open gifts before Christmas!
    Last edited by Jon; 12-24-2016 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Older kids are the devil

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Has anyone converted the wav files to MP3? The program I usually use to convert won't let me do it with these for whatever reason, so if someone could PM me them in 320kbps MP3 that's be helpful.

I haven't listened yet - is there anything on the Apple Music version that isn't on Deviations 1?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Has anyone converted the wav files to MP3? The program I usually use to convert won't let me do it with these for whatever reason, so if someone could PM me them in 320kbps MP3 that's be helpful.

I haven't listened yet - is there anything on the Apple Music version that isn't on Deviations 1?
    What program do you usually use? I've never had a problem with foobar, but I haven't tried it with this yet.