Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Silversun Pickups

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Just got it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just picked up the new record on vinyl... it sounds amazing! I feel like it's the appropriate step after Swoon.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Fuck, I have been listening to this album again for over a week and I cannot get enough of it. I think it is miles away from "Swoon". To me, every SSPU album (EP) gives me a different feeling with the way the music comes off. Pikul and Carnavas had me in this kind of a dreamy state, Swoon had in more of an aggressive/sad state, and Neck of the Woods gives me all sorts of emotions. It hits hard at the last 4 songs and the songs really stick to me after I listen to them or the album. "The Pit", "Mean Spirits", "Dots and Dashes", and Gun-Shy Sunshine" have me hooked.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I strongly recommend tracking down a copy of last year's Seasick EP if you have a record player (or iTunes/Amazon in the US). Just three songs, clocking in at 14 minutes, but each of them's a five-star piece of excellence in my opinion. They're quite a bit darker than the other albums, with Seasick being quite an epic song full of dynamic changes, Broken Bottles being one of their very hardest and fastest songs, and Ribbons & Detours being incredibly moody and sombre with the rare feature of Nikki's lead vocals.

Neck Of The Woods' first and last four songs hit incredibly strongly, I do think the middle peters out quite a bit though. Major improvement on Swoon in my opinion, which I felt was decent but lacking the truly standout material that packed Pikul and Carnavas.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I strongly recommend tracking down a copy of last year's Seasick EP if you have a record player (or iTunes/Amazon in the US). Just three songs, clocking in at 14 minutes, but each of them's a five-star piece of excellence in my opinion. They're quite a bit darker than the other albums, with Seasick being quite an epic song full of dynamic changes, Broken Bottles being one of their very hardest and fastest songs, and Ribbons & Detours being incredibly moody and sombre with the rare feature of Nikki's lead vocals.

Neck Of The Woods' first and last four songs hit incredibly strongly, I do think the middle peters out quite a bit though. Major improvement on Swoon in my opinion, which I felt was decent but lacking the truly standout material that packed Pikul and Carnavas.
    Oh yea, Seasick is amazing. The title track I fell in love with and almost seems like it could have fit in with Carnavas to me. I just love how Nikki's background vocals as of lately have been pretty spot on and really bring more to the tracks. Her bass playing alone on Neck Of The Woods is pretty dam impressive. They are simple, but hard hitting bass lines. The middle of the new album does veer off a bit, but there is enough on this album that doesn't make me skip any tracks (besides Bloody Mary). The last four songs are some of the best material they have ever done. Cannot wait to see them live again.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    ...there is enough on this album that doesn't make me skip any tracks (besides Bloody Mary).
    I've heard quite a bit of negativity towards Bloody Mary but just can't understand it, I love that song. Could you be specific about what you don't like about it?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I guess the first impression I got from when I first heard it is sticking with me; I just was not expecting what they had released as the next single. Maybe my hopes were too high since I was waiting so long for this album to come out, but it just doesn't have the effect that past singles had on me I guess. For me in sounded more like a b-side after I heard the rest of the album. Don't get me wrong it's good, but in a "meh" kind of way for me.

The new album definitely leaved me intrigued on the first listen, and that is a good thing. I really didn't know what to think when I first heard it but the more I listened to it, the more I fell in love with it and is my all time favorite SSPU album to date; it's a grower I tell ya'. For me there is so much more emotion in the lyrics and the music for sure.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    let'S bring this back up a little.

We got 3 new songs recently!

Let it decay, ok
    Working Title, freaken awesome
    Cannibal, after a few listens, freaking fucking awesome!!

I recently started listening to Carnavas, and it's great! I had tried previously, but it wasn't what I was looking for back then. Now I love all three albums and I can't seem to get enough.

I found out about a few extra tracks, can someone tell me if I'm missing any?
    - Mercury
    - Table Straps
    - Currency of Love
    - Ne Plus Ultra
    - Seasick EP

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Besides the newer songs we have received, I haven't been able to come across any :/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just listened to Cannibal. Its pretty great. IMO these guys just keep getting better. Really hope I can catch them live one day.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    Just listened to Cannibal. Its pretty great. IMO these guys just keep getting better. Really hope I can catch them live one day.
    Agree 100%. For me personally, SSPU has slowly become one of the bands that really can do no wrong; they meet and exceed my expectations everytime they put out new stuff.

Frustratingly, their live shows been somehow been able to elude me for like 3 years, even though they've been within extremely close distance to me at least half a dozen times. Has never quite worked out (traveling for work, prior obligations, etc). Ugh! Maybe this will be the year

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    I've seen them twice and believe me... it is well worth the money and time. They put on one hell of a show with a solid setlist to follow every time. The day I hear "Checkered Floor" will have me in complete awe.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Totally forgot to mention this but like a few weeks ago these guys played an acoustic set at a park across the street from my house in Altadena, CA. It was for some random kids benefit thing and my dad heard the music from our backyard and told me to run over there. It was the most random fantastic thing.

Probably one of the best sets I've ever seen in my life. Their acoustic playing is absolutely phenomenal. They had a shit ton of energy and the dude was fuckin hilarious and good with kids. Magical night. It was just Brian and Nikki tho.

The arrangement for Bloody Mary was ridiculous. I wish I remembered the full set list but I know for sure they played, Panic Switch, Kissing Families, Bloody Mary, The Pit, Lazy Eye and The Royal We.

Also they said the next day they were going to begin recording their 4th album so wahoo!

Edit: They played Cannibal too! And one other song I had never heard before.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 10-24-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    New album, Better Nature, out in September 25.

Tracklisting:
    1. Cradle (Better Nature)
    2. Connection
    3. Pins & Needles
    4. Friendly Fires
    5. Nightlight
    6. Circadian Rhythm (Last Dance)
    7. Tapedeck
    8. Latchkey Kids
    9. Ragamuffin
    10. The Wild Kind
    http://silversunpickups.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I KNOW! So thrilled!

Odd we don't get a new single at the same time as the news.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Good god. So many great things happening in the music community right now! I enjoyed Neck Of The Woods, but I wouldn't mind hearing them expand on their earlier, fuzzier, less electronic sound. I feel like this artwork may allude to that a bit.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I agree. Carnavas and Swoon were really great albums. Neck of the Woods, although still enjoyable, I felt was a bit of a misstep. I really hope this one gets them back on track.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Different opinion here. I thought it was Swoon that's been the weakest album, NotW just drags a bit through the middle. Also thought the heavily electronic Bloody Mary was the latter's most interesting track, and something I'd love to hear more of.
    Broken Bottles is another non-standard styled song that'd be great to see more of, super aggressive.

Anyway, whatever, more Silversun Pickups is only a good thing. Some of the pre-order extras look great, I wish I could justify the expense right now.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Neck of the Woods, although still enjoyable, I felt was a bit of a misstep. I really hope this one gets them back on track.
    The problem with NOTW was that, the song writing was all there. The tracks on their own merits were great. However, the production, mixing, and pacing are what really hurt it. There was no punch to anything. It just sounded... slow and dull.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Great news. I just preordered the deluxe bundle. I really enjoyed NOTW and have been looking forward to a new album from these guys for awhile. Hope to hear the new single soon.

I need to see these guys live. I've regretfully missed them twice now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That is good news, though I am not sure i really like the pledgemusic thing, this is starting to rub me the wrong way. Plus where are the bonus tracks on the deluxe???
    I think I'll to the 9.99 regular CD of amazon for this one.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i'm not too sure about this...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not a big fan of the bloated "this is serious" music video....also the song hasn't really grabbed me. Not bad, but nothing too special, I'm hoping it will grow on me, kind of like Bloody Mary did after it was released as a first single.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My god this is absolutely awesome!!! (the song that is). I'm a huge fan of Neck of the Woods.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I fucking love this video. I NEVER watch videos anymore, but this caught my attention the minute it started.. good shit. I love how Brian sings with an even higher pitch than he normally does. That little guitar riff that starts after the first verse is why I love this band. The song kind of meandered until that riff started; the little things this band throws into their songs I can never get enough of. I would like to hear a more cohesive record from SSPU (Even though I love their whole discography). Their albums seem to be just a bunch of songs thrown together, so I usually make my own tracklist. Cannot wait for the new album! Loving the new track.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I haven't paid much attention to the video, but I really dig the song. Always dug this band's music and this seems like great stuff per usual. Can't wait to hear the whole album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Alright, still not a big fan of the video. But after listening to the song a few more times....i'm really liking it. Seems they will be going in the same direction they were going with NOTW and I'm seriously on board with that. Looking forward to when the album arrives at my front door!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This makes me happy

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Cool hearing Nikki get some leading vocals again. I don't think she's been this upfront since the first album?