Results 4,921 to 4,950 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    IMO:

APC >TOOL > Puscifer

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Carina Round is awesome; I reckon no one paid attention to their recent album because there's very little low-brow humor in it.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    David Bowie's Earthling album is actually as good as he was claiming it was when it came out... crank 7 Years in Tibet and tell me I'm wrong. When the chorus kicks in on that song it's just amazing.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    $550 for a pair of headphones is fucking re-donk-u-lous.

oh wait, that's not controversial.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    $550 for a pair of headphones is fucking re-donk-u-lous.

oh wait, that's not controversial.
    I dunno - depends on the headphones!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Oh that changes everything! But I'd happily pay $550 for a pair of good​ headphones.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Ugh, Taylor Swift still making music with the tiresome and overrated boring folk shite of Bon Iver!

"To put it plainly, we just couldn’t stop writing songs. To try and put it more poetically, it feels like we were standing on the edge of the folklorian woods and had a choice: to turn and go back or to travel further into the forest of this music. We chose to wander deeper in."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    David Bowie's Earthling album is actually as good as he was claiming it was when it came out... crank 7 Years in Tibet and tell me I'm wrong. When the chorus kicks in on that song it's just amazing.
    I only knew "Space Oddity", but the 50th birthday concert and special on Muchmusic hooked me. If you can get your hands on that in either video/audio form, get on it. The second chorus of "Tibet"...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Phil Collins is the most unfairly critically maligned artist in the history of recorded music. Some of what I read goes kind of beyond the normal pans and just comes short of them just telling him "I hate you". This passed on into the culture and he became kind of a whipping post (the Gallagher brothers or those pricks on South Park). I'll grant that most of his albums are not works of genius but he deserved a better shake from the intelligentsia.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Phil Collins is the most unfairly critically maligned artist in the history of recorded music.
    this line made me think of this:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Phil Collins is the most unfairly critically maligned artist in the history of recorded music. Some of what I read goes kind of beyond the normal pans and just comes short of them just telling him "I hate you". This passed on into the culture and he became kind of a whipping post (the Gallagher brothers or those pricks on South Park). I'll grant that most of his albums are not works of genius but he deserved a better shake from the intelligentsia.
    I thought a lot of that was due to him acting like a smug prick for a long time? I read somewhere that he would rail against reviewers of his work. Maybe if he didn't say anything, people wouldn't have been as nasty?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yeah he has a pretty thin skin about that but if that's the worst thing one can say about him it doesn't give you much ammunition against him being smug. Just oversensitive perhaps. What was even worse is that it also crossed over into tabloids having a field day with his divorces and personal issues. I read his book a few years ago and felt a little sorry for him but also felt he brought enough on himself through the huge workload he took on for nearly 25 years between Genesis, playing in other bands, starting a solo career, producing outside artists and becoming overexposed in the process and thus with a huge target on his back from those less impressed with his talent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hell yeah, it's great. I love it. It's definitely a window into late 90's/early 2000's drum 'n bass, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Carina Round is awesome; I reckon no one paid attention to their recent album because there's very little low-brow humor in it.
    Carina Round is great, I just wish she had attached herself to a project that was more interesting to me than Puscifer.

Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Yep. It's not like every track is about dick and pussy jokes. There's some truly beautiful Puscifer tracks in my opinion. I can understand if some of the humor associated with the band isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the music itself is pretty solid for the most part, and that's where my focus goes first and foremost. That's why the idea that nobody would care about it if MJK wasn't at the helm doesn't ring true to me. If the music was that bad, and it just came across as some sort of vanity project, it would be much easier for people in general to dismiss it.
    Let's be honest with ourselves here. If Maynard wanted to be taken seriously, maybe he shouldn't have albums with names like ""V" is for Vagina," "Donkey Punch the Night," or "Money Shot." And we shouldn't forget: the remix album, "Money Shot: Your Re-load." These are sub-Bloodhound Gang levels for naming your album.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    I only knew "Space Oddity", but the 50th birthday concert and special on Muchmusic hooked me. If you can get your hands on that in either video/audio form, get on it. The second chorus of "Tibet"...
    That whole 50th birthday concert just WINS

And yeah, 7 years in tibet, that "I PRAISE TO YOU, nothing ever goes away" is one of the greatest musical moments ever

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    Let's be honest with ourselves here. If Maynard wanted to be taken seriously, maybe he shouldn't have albums with names like ""V" is for Vagina," "Donkey Punch the Night," or "Money Shot." And we shouldn't forget: the remix album, "Money Shot: Your Re-load." These are sub-Bloodhound Gang levels for naming your album.
    Eh, the titles are the titles. If you can't look past them and focus on the actual music, that's on you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Maybe. But I don't think I'm wrong for making assumptions about the type of music that's on those albums based on the name.

And for the record: I have listened to those albums. I still don't think they're particularly noteworthy.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    ok here's a controversial opinion for this board... Maynard James Keenan is an overrated vocalist on every level, and he was the only bad part of the last Tool album. Fight me.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    ok here's a controversial opinion for this board... Maynard James Keenan is an overrated vocalist on every level, and he was the only bad part of the last Tool album. Fight me.
    I don't agree with it, but I love the boldness of the take here.
    Last edited by Archive_Reports; 12-12-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    this line made me think of this:

I have no similar opinion of Huey Lewis & The News

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Huey Lewis & The News are amazing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    that's not a controversial opinion, that's just fact.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Was Billy Idol ahead of David Bowie?

1993 ------------------------------ 1995
    Last edited by r_z; 12-13-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I always thought Reality had the ugliest Bowie cover Art, but 1.Outside is also quite bad imho. But probably intentional. Glad he went out on a high point with Blackstar ★.

Oh yeah, and while I adore some songs on 1.Outside the interludes make it hard to listen to that album as a whole repeatedly.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    just not going to agree with anything there. sure the segues on Outside are odd, but they're also kinda fascinating, and nearly every song on that album is gold. Hallo Spaceboy, The Heart's Filthy Lesson, Thru These Architect's Eyes, Outside, I'm Deranged, Strangers When We Meet... especially Strangers When We Meet, that's just incredible, everything about it.

And this album came after the whole 80s period that everybody just considered trash (but really had some great stuff in there), and it was SUCH a comeback.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I didn't mean "ahead" in terms of ugly cover art, but in terms of concept, sound and writing. The Idol record was seemingly very polarizing back in '93, because no one expected him to do such a... nerdy concept album. But then again he did it two years before Bowie, so...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    "I'm afraid you're just too darn loud."

I like them.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Fetch the Bolt Cutters by Fiona Apple isn't that great an album, or at least I don't "get it."

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The Beatles are overrated. I'll take Oasis any day

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    While we were in England last summer we saw advertisements for Yesterday all over the place so when it came out on video (and was available at the library so we wouldn't have to pay for it) we rented it and watched it. The only truly good joke in the entire movie was during the big reveal that The Beatles didn't exist anymore and he's looking all over the Internet and in a panic he looks up Oasis and they don't exist either.