Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN: The Greatest Hits

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

NIN: The Greatest Hits

Looked for a thread and didn't find one, so here we are. Trent announced that there's going to be a greatest hits compilation released in 2014, so that begs the question: what tracks do you want to hear on this damn thing?

I don't really have any suggestions since I imagine it'll somewhat follow the patter of the Definitive NIN torrent releases. One thing I would like to see is a greatest hits collection along the lines of Pink Floyd's Echoes. All the songs included get remastered and put into a proper, non-chronological edit with all the tracks flowing into each other. That would make it feel less like a greatest hits cash-in and more of a proper mix of songs supervised by Trent himself.

I also think a DVD and/or Blu-ray with all the videos they've done over the years would be a nice inclusion.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Well, I say this about every release, but multitracks to go along with them would be fantastic, and make it more worth buying for existing fans (who might be tempted to nab the two new tracks by other means). Love the DVD/BD idea, maybe it could be padded out with interviews about each of the CD's tracks.

As for the tracklist itself, rather than just picking out the singles (which could easily fill out the disc), it might be a good idea to throw some fan favourites in there too, like Leaving Hope or The Line Begins To Blur. Not sure about remastering them as TDS, PHM and (hopefully) Fragile will already have been breathed on, and I'm not sure any of the others really need remastering.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    and I'm not sure any of the others really need remastering.
    i think any of the post-fragile albums are fine, but broken could definitely do with a good updated mix & remastering.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Greatest Hits compilations usually include one or two new songs. So that would be wicked if that was the case with this one.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Down in it should be on it, always loved that one

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Let's see...

1. Closer (the signature hit)
    2. Wish (got a Grammy, hey!)
    3. Happiness in Slavery (got one as well)
    4. Head Like a Hole (the breakthrough hit)
    5. Hurt (maybe the most popular NIN song)
    6. The Perfect Drug (it doesn't appear on an album format, yet)
    7. The Day the World Went Away (US top 20)
    8. The Hand that Feeds (UK top 10)
    9. Every Day is Exactly the Same (year-end nr. on US hot Dance, also Nr.1 in Canada)
    10. Survivalism (also Nr. 1 in Canada)
    11. Some token Ghosts track
    12. Discipline (token The Slip track)

^^ Those are the must-haves

But in my opinion, there should also be:

13. Burn (the most prominent 'rare' song?)
    14. Deep (of course!)
    15. That Tetsuo Song (the most recent NIN production?)
    16. some random song because there's one slot left (Sin, or March of the Pigs, or Starfuckers Inc., or even I'm Afraid of Americans?) Edit: No wait, Leaving Hope!
    17. a new song (please?)
    18. a new song (pretty please?)
    19. That's What I Get (no, that was a joke)
    Last edited by ambergris; 12-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    err, two new songs are confirmed for the release. it was right in the announcement, people.

they're gonna have to leave off some singles to make room for them. as it stands, a chronological mix of all the singles hits a full single CD runtime (~78 mins):
    Head Like a Hole (Clay, one assumes)
    Down in It
    Sin (one of the single versions, probably Short)
    Wish
    Happiness in Slavery (edit?)
    March of the Pigs
    Closer (full length or possibly the radio edit)
    Hurt (quiet?)
    The Perfect Drug (complete version, i hope)
    The Day the World Went Away (single version?)
    We're in This Together (radio edit?)
    Starfuckers, Inc. (either the Halo 13 version or "Starsuckers"?)
    The Hand That Feeds
    Only
    Every Day is Exactly the Same (radio version? it's better than the original anyway...)
    Survivalism
    Discipline

and that's leaving off Into the Void, too. so either a few will be dropped (probably Sin and maybe Discipline? it wasn't on Interscope, right?) or this is going to be split across discs. it'd be cool to have this as the main disc and have a bonus disc with the new songs and outtakes and b-sides. good place for Not So Pretty Now and Non-Entity, at least.

and a music video collection would be awesome, especially if it has treats like the Into the Void alternate video and the Mark Pellington WITT!

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Seeing as all of this is speculation, I would love to see some some sort of dexlue packagin that includeds more then just 2 cds worth of material and some digital content. A book would be really nice. (Choeed & cambria did thei when they released the neverender set) and they will do a nother book when the 2nd part of the new album comes out.

The book could include scans of orrigional lyrics sheets, maybe some sort of duccumentation of the artwork for the covers and a short descripton of how the songs came to be. Also, being that its going to be released in the year that marks 25 years for the band, a brief history and maybe some photo doccumentation could round out the package nicely.

What do I think they will actually realease? Mayeb a doubel disc set, or a dvd/ dvd/blu ray set with the standard saong in audio or maybe music videos. I really dont see them puching the envelope too much on this in terms of packaing due to the fact that its only going to be old material with 2 new songs.

Time will tell I guess.

But whatever it is, I know I will be picking one up.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I don't think we'll be seeing anything from The Slip on this one since it's an Interscope compilation, so Discipline and Echoplex (and most likely Tetsuo) are out. And there's no way Ghosts would've made it on anyway.

I'd like to see maybe half of the album be composed of obligatory hit singles (Head Like a Hole, Hurt, Closer, etc.), with the other half being non-singles that Trent is particularly proud of (maybe La Mer, Leaving Hope, In This Twilight/Zero-Sum, Reptile, make sure all the TVT/Interscope records are accounted for) and of course the two new tracks.

I forgot that 2014 is another anniversary year, so hopefully we'll get a cool DVD with some sort of featurette about NIN and all the music videos. Just as long as Interscope doesn't pull that "eight million versions of the same album" bullshit. I'd buy all of them anyway, but I hope that doesn't happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. Starfuckers Inc. Vers 1
    2. New Song 1
    3. Ringfinger
    4. Starfuckers Inc. Vers 2
    5. New Song 2
    6. Broken tracks 7 - 97
    7. Starfuckers Inc. Vers 3

I Fail to see how this could be improved upon.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    [Shep] -- There's a couple of other mixes of Starfuckers you could add in; just for good measure, of course.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    While it would be a real shame to leave off any PHM tracks, a compilation covering only the Interscope years would probably be something like this:

Wish
    Happiness In Slavery
    March of The Pigs
    Closer
    Hurt
    The Perfect Drug
    The Day The World Went Away
    We're In This Together
    Into The Void
    Starfuckers, Inc.
    The Hand That Feeds
    Only
    Every Day Is Exactly The Same
    Survivalism
    Capital G
    New Song
    New Song

Various edits would probably have to be used (especially for WITT) in order to make room for the new tracks, or else one of the tracks chopped. And a second disc of random rarities would be cool.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I completely forgot that Interscope doesn't own the PHM tracks. That sucks. Maybe they'll work out a deal with Bicycle to have one or two tracks on the album, if they care enough.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm sure PHM, Ghosts and The Slip will feature, if Interscope only has one Greatest Hits in their contract, they're not gonna fuck it up and leave off Head Like A Hole, the grammy-nominated 36 Ghosts and Discipline.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    PHM songs as live recordings may be a valid workaround, i guess

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Head Like A Hole
    Down In It
    Sin or Terrible Lie

Wish
    Last

Burn

Heresy
    March Of The Pigs
    Closer
    Hurt

The Perfect Drug

We're In This Together
    Into The Void
    Starfuckers, Inc.

Deep

The Hand That Feeds
    Only

Survivalism
    My Violent Heart

Discipline

(this list doesn't all my personal favorites..although all of the songs included are personal favorites.)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I'm sure PHM, Ghosts and The Slip will feature, if Interscope only has one Greatest Hits in their contract, they're not gonna fuck it up and leave off Head Like A Hole, the grammy-nominated 36 Ghosts and Discipline.
    was it 36? I thought it was 34

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    34 Ghosts was nominated for Best Rock Instrumental Performance at the 2009 Grammys

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    There are 38 of the damn things, I can't remember which numbers are which

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like the "Echoes" idea of having the tracks remastered and reordered. I could see whatever he comes up with for that being padded at the front and back by the two new songs.

edit: or start the compilation with My Violent Heart. I love starting mixes/playlists with that song. But I highly doubt Interscope would go for that.
    Last edited by ghostaustin; 12-15-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: because My Violent Heart is fucking awesome

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    There are 38 of the damn things, I can't remember which numbers are which
    But 34's like the best one, that's the one I always remember

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    It would be funny if there were snippets of less well-known songs or remixes here and there. Remember how The Fragile CD had a portion of Ten Miles High? Imagine Happiness in Slavery having a portion of Screaming Slave at the end.

No, wait, that would suck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I thought it was cool that Slipknot mixed in live versions of songs in their greatest hits release to make it something a little different than a straight up collection of songs every fan already has. Maybe something like that (maybe even Now I'm Nothing/Terrible Lie), even though there is already a lot of live material available.

In some ways the internet kind of sucks . Much fewer surprises available these days.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The way the music industry's been treating reissue/catalogue releases lately, you can bet there'll be several different formats. One-disc standard digipak, deluxe gatefold with bonus CD, deluxe box set with DVD, heavyweight vinyl... hopefully one of these is actually worth buying.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Now I'm Nothing and Homme Year Zero track are the two "new" songs I think that need to be on there. Even if Now I'm Nothing was recorded during the NINJA era, or even now, that's totally cool with me as long as it's producted to mash up with TL.

Now I'm Nothing
    Terrible Lie
    Ruiner
    The Fragile
    Piggy
    March of the Pigs
    Wish
    Closer
    The Hand That Feeds
    Something I Can Never Have
    The Perfect Drug
    YZ Homme
    Happiness in Slavery
    We're in this Together
    Hurt
    Head Like a Hole

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    It'd be nice if Theme for Tetsuo and Zoo Station were on there actually, because for a casual listener those are impossible to get.

And I think that's what's important to remember, this album is not for us, not for a single person on this board. It's for people who kinda like that fuck you like an animal song, or want to hear who did Hurt originally. It's a gateway to the band, and so putting on songs that aren't either singles or quickly accessible just won't be fruitful.

Unless it's some huge, 4 disc compilation because Trent can't choose which ones to put on.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'm pretty confident TR will put out a quality product, no matter the disdain/circumstances for its release. If he didn't care he'd have pumped it out already. So that's good.

I don't think random tracks like Zoo station and Tetsuo belong on a "greatest hits", personally.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I have a feeling that TR doesn't despise Interscope anywhere near as much as some of you think he does.

And I suspect that he has way more respect for his fans (longtime, casual or future) than all of this "what-two-old-songs-can-secretly-qualify-as-two-new-songs" speculation would entail.

I also think he and the record label would absolutely like to sell one of those greatest hits albums to every single one of us on this board. Why wouldn't you try to at least entice a built-in customer base?

I think two new songs... means two new songs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    we're probably not going to expect too much from this release other than useless redundancy, perhaps why trent's dreading putting this release out. with that i hope it's concise and to the point, less filler.

[now i'm nothing] ??
    head like a hole
    survivalism
    down in it
    wish
    the hand that feeds
    discipline
    march of the pigs
    closer
    every day is exactly the same
    sin
    only
    the perfect drug
    we're in this together
    hurt

i also wonder if trent would consider putting out a second disk showing off his personal remixes? i mean, what's a proper nin release without some form of construction/deconstruction?

closer to god
    art of self destruction, part one
    head like a hole (opal)
    the day the world went away (quiet)
    right where it belongs v2
    the perfect drug (nin remix)
    slipping away
    all the pigs, all lined up
    happiness in slavery (fixed version)
    [the new flesh (tfa.com version)] ??

as for the new tracks, something to round off the past 20+ years for the fans, a studio release of 'now i'm nothing', and maybe even the remix of 'the new flesh' from tfa.com?? one can hope...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I wonder if Interscope will press for a deluxe version?