Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What's this concert footage? (UPDATE: It's Further Down the Spiral, and IT'S HERE!)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Oh em motherfucking gee.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ahhhhhhhHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am losing my absolute fucking shit right now! This is like the holy grail of NIN footage, it's hard to comprehend that it's actually out and that in a few minutes I'm going to watch a professionally shot show from the motherfucking Self Destruct tour, something I have dreamt about after watching Closure for the 1st time. I knew then there was a whole show professionally filmed, then we got another tease of it when the Closure Appendage dvd footage came out. The fact that ninlive existed (reflectinginthechrome back then) and tapes were beginning to surface gave me hope that maybe one day this would actually get released. Then this thread happened and it was a kick to the balls. Still held out hope but I pretty much accepted that we would never see this.

Whoever is involved in releasing this, thank you. This has been such a shitty year, and the last 48 hours have pretty rough for me, I so needed this. I'm sitting here crying from the joy I'm about to experience, I'm about to watch a full proshot show from 95, holy fuck. I cannot believe it got released, I am a ball of emotion. What can top this?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    converting from a VHS to dvd would only take a couple hours....one month later and nothing has happened, doesn't bode well
    p.s. fuck you I was right and you were wrong

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Oh man this is better than expected.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    p.s. fuck you I was right and you were wrong
    That's been a long time coming, and it feels great.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Happiness is explosive, and I Do not want this is mind blowing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    holy fuck

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Fantastic stuff, although I can kind of see why Trent was maybe not too eager to release it. I think he wanted to present something that was rawer, and this feels a little too polished at times.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Oh man! The closest I'll get to a recording of my first NIN show. *cries*

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Holy shit it’s here. Massive thank you to everyone involved in getting this up for everyone to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Out of nowhere.. Holy shit!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Happiness in Slavery…. Holy shit haha. I’ve seen the audience shot footage but this is wild. Shame about the vocals though - does it look like his mic cut out or he stopped singing…?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I knew this day was going to come, I just wasn't expecting it this soon (and I'm aware is not soon at all, but NIN soon).

For me this is really a closure for a lot of things. I just finished watching it and I don't know why i feel at peace.

I wouldn't have used the in between songs footage and for sure wouldn't have almost muted the crowd as it sounds sometimes, but his is fucking FANTASTIC!

Thanks Norton Canes and whoever else helped the dark force from internet to release this in its entirety. I'm pretty sure you're not aware the impact you just had on a bunch of crazy people.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Oh my God. I'd all but forgotten about this. Fantastic job - thank you so much for releasing this into the wild to all involved. It looks and sounds fantastic.

And fuck you wherever you are, billpulsipher.

Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    Happiness in Slavery…. Holy shit haha. I’ve seen the audience shot footage but this is wild. Shame about the vocals though - does it look like his mic cut out or he stopped singing…?
    I can hear Trent faintly at times before the vocal comes back. The mic probably broke. Of no surprise to Trent himself, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-07-2022 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Here's a great interview with Simon that has some amazing detail about the first post in this thread:
    https://pantograph-punch.com/posts/i...-simon-maxwell
    The video is obviously fantastic but this article...holy shit is it good. There is also a video in there I hadn't seen before from the filming of the Hurt video. Thanks for posting this link @FULLMETAL !!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

What about it, fuckers? Yeah?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Tweaked the audio just a little bit (mostly volume gain) for my convenience. Tagged with artwork.

(link gone)
    Last edited by Lerxto; 04-07-2022 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The fact that this footage existed and didn't see the light of day for so many years is incredible. The quality is pretty good and at the moment I'm really enjoying watching it, but I can't help but think that if we had access to the original file we could work on it to "remaster" it in some way.

The video could get a little color correction to reverse the degradation and it might even be a good opportunity to implement Rob Sheridan's advice on upscaling AATCHB to have a 1080p version or even 4K if the results were good enough.

As for the audio it sounds a bit dry at times, if we could locate the date of the concert and there was some taper audio avaliable it could be used to add some more crowd noise at certain times or even do a surround mix if someone has the skills.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    It just makes you wonder what else is yet to float to the surface. This is incredible.

I only made a comment the other day about another show and how awesome the set list was, with Hurt in the middle and IDNWT closing the show. Then this appears not two or three days later. Utterly gobsmacked!

This is like… Closure (Version) (Version)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Confirming what I always suspected: Wish official live video is basically an outtake from this film. It's a different edit on the overall, but many cuts/shots match 1:1, and I think audio is also a match

Not the same with Eraser though. Pretty sure it's a different audio, and video cuts only match occasionally, on TR closeups. Very few matching shots:

Hurt appears to be also very different. I only went closely though 1 minute, but found no matching footage at all. And obviously audio is different (wasn't Hurt actually taped at the soundcheck? The version that ended up in the video and on FDTS v2)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It seems to have been copyright claimed, is there anywhere else to watch it?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGobi View Post
    It seems to have been copyright claimed, is there anywhere else to watch it?
    I second this question, I missed it

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Confirming what I always suspected: Wish official live video is basically an outtake from this film. It's a different edit on the overall, but many cuts/shots match 1:1, and I think audio is also a match
    That fits with what the interviews with Simon Maxwell said, about certain songs meeting TR's approval and others not so much. The version of "Mr. Self Destruct" on Closure — Appendage is also the same audio but obviously a shorter edit.

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Not the same with Eraser though. Pretty sure it's a different audio, and video cuts only match occasionally, on TR closeups. Very few matching shots

Hurt appears to be also very different. I only went closely though 1 minute, but found no matching footage at all. On obviously audio is different (wasn't Hurt actually taped at the soundcheck? The version that ended up in the video and on FDTS v2)
    I seem to remember reading on the old alt.music.nin FAQ that they filmed a special pre-concert performance to capture the "Eraser"/"Hurt" sequence with a smaller, less rowdy audience.

EDIT: no linky right now
    Last edited by botley; 04-07-2022 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    boooooo i’m mad it’s gone already. copyright for something never fucking released?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    OK, so I've looked at this (not completely yet) and found some interesting things (Edit: to which fillow beat me):

First, as I (and probably many others) suspected, the Eraser (Live) and Wish (Live) music videos on Closure came from this concert film footage. However, the edits are different. So different, that I'd say only about 50% of the shots match up. For example, in Wish in this long concert film, Simon often featured a lot of close-up shots of Chris, Robin, and Danny, and the audience. The Closure edit doesn't feature those as much, preferring to linger on wider shots longer.

Hurt (Live) already had 2 edits, the original MTV broadcast edit, and the Closure edit. There is yet another edit in this film. It features a lot of the same footage, but also a lot of different cuts and angles too. It also doesn't use the same audio as the music videos.

The Mr. Self-Destruct footage in the Closure Appendage is exactly the same as what is in this film. I think we can take that to mean that Trent has a copy of this film as it appears here in his vaults.

I'm not sure what to make of the different edits for the other videos above in Closure. Maybe they are the alternate edits that Sleazy worked on (that the OP mentioned) after Simon finished the project.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I managed to rip it before it went down - file I have is 720p25fps according to windows and is around 800mb. Happy to put it somewhere but have to wait on my Australian potatonet upload speed. It's currently trickling onto my Onedrive, 1MB/s at a time...
    Last edited by Disassociative; 04-07-2022 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I saved it too, can upload somewhere later today or tomorrow. EDIT: Disassociative beat me to it on the next page. My saved version was the same, 811 MB

Actually I'm pretty confident most copyright claims on youtube can be battled with fair use claims, if you're not gonna monetize. At least I did it with NIN and Muse footage/audio multiple times.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    That would be awesome. Thank you @botley for sharing what you saved so quick. It's at 480x360 so anyone who grabbed bigger and can share, wins today's Internet points!

When I saw the message I immediately bounced the browser tab from my phone to my desktop and by the time I walked upstairs it was gone.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hi people

First of all, big apologies again for waiting nine years before making good on this. Life stuff happened, I'm afraid, and it just got forgotten.

Secondly, though, great to see you all buzzing off it now it's finally out there.

Except it isn't, of course, following a copyright takedown from Kobalt Music Publishing. Obviously not sure exactly why they've done it but I'll send them a polite retraction request, see what they say and go from there.

In the meantime I've still got the VHS rip file which I really want to upload to mega.nz but I'm just going to talk to someone in the know first about any further potential copyright pitfalls. Hopefully it will be there soon (sooner than nine years, anyway!)

I guess it would also be good to get it over to The NIN Live Archives?
    Last edited by Norton Canes; 04-07-2022 at 08:39 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton Canes View Post
    I guess it would also be good to get it over to The NIN Live Archives?
    Paging @ninlive