Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I picked up the RSD edition of A Saucerful of Secrets remastered from the original MONO mix. Sounds phenomenal, I love this album so much! Really psyched to hear Nick Mason's band play stuff from it tomorrow night.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Whoa. Yesterday Roger joined Nick Mason's band for a rendition of Set the Controls...

Also, there's probably gonna be a live album from this tour.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I hope they film for a DVD/Blu as the stage setup looks fantastic, but I will absolutely settle for an album.

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This is on my mind this morning. For personal reasons, but having lived with the album so long I think I can say this might be my favorite song from Amused To Death. It's plainly very personal to Roger, mentioning his father and his time busking in Lebanon, cleverly weaving the Midas fable into something contemporary.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Gilmour's Live At Pompeii now available in full on YouTube

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I got to see the exhibit of Gilmour's guitars at Christie's yesterday ahead of today's auction. My jaw was on the floor when I saw some of them up close. A beautiful, staggering collection!

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Heard one of his guitars that he basically played a majority of the songs with just went for over a million bucks. Jeez.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Heard one of his guitars that he basically played a majority of the songs with just went for over a million bucks. Jeez.
    Almost four million for The Black Strat. Incredible!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Almost four million for The Black Strat. Incredible!
    That is INSANE! I knew it would fetch at least a million, but apparently it went for the highest ever for a guitar at auction.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That’s Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay. Guy has a collection of rare and valuable guitars. Must be nice.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I just hope whoever bought the "Wish You Were Here" 12-string Gilmour used to write the riff also bought the 6-string that solos over the intro, so they can stay together. They were side-by-side in the exhibit, which I found kinda moving.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Awesome! Still waiting for that RW DSOTM film though...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think that might be an extra on the Blu-ray/DVD of this, but that is purely speculation. I know he has said that it's not too far from his mind as far as release, it's just been waiting for the right moment to put it out.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    That’s Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay. Guy has a collection of rare and valuable guitars. Must be nice.
    Along with a plethora of prescription drugs.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Lots of drama in that family. His dad was pretty screwed up too, and is pretty much why the team moved to Indy from Baltimore.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Aw yiss. Fucking love me some more Gilmour-era Floyd.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Poor Animals. Nice for the super boxset.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The bad news is the price tag on this is ridiculous. Amazon.co.uk has it at £430. The good news is that this will likely be broken up into separate sets starting early next year, much like the Early Years set, with the setback that some of the content will be exclusive to the box to make it worth the price for whoever can get it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Okay, so... I should address this right off: I don't really care much for this period of the band. I'm a huge fan of their earlier stuff, but even as a young fan, for me there was a big gap in how I related to them as a 'going concern' in the 90s versus their glory days. Other bands mocked them for being corporate whores and so forth. It wasn't a cool time to be in Pink Floyd.

I do enjoy some songs from The Division Bell, and a couple from Momentary Lapse, but overall there's a noticeable dearth of creative juice after Roger Waters split. Still some spectacular live shows, mind you (and that seems to be the focus of this box), but all the emotional resonance comes from the musical interplay, not the grand ideas and scope of their epic 70s albums. And even that musical spark is stretched too thin, most of the time. They did occasionally catch fire with some excellent performances... I'm going to watch the full Venice '89 broadcast today to refresh my memory of it, since that seems to feature prominently here.

Things to point out about the contents of the box (just going from what I can see of it in the image above, there's bound to be a full tracklisting released at the end of this week): there's lots of memorabilia. Like, way too much. I think the handbills and tickets and stuff in The Early Years boxes were really cool, because they're from a bygone era. The shit with Volkswagen tour branding and so forth... thanks but no thanks!

The "remixed & updated" version of the A Momentary Lapse of Reason album is kind of interesting, and hopefully this is one of the things that gets parted off on its own later for streaming/standalone release. It's always sounded like garbage, drenched in 80s FM synths and digital reverb, but I heard that Nick Mason re-recorded the session drummers' parts on his own, around the time they were doing the work for The Endless River, and also more of Rick Wright's keyboard parts from live shows had been dubbed into the mix as well.

Delicate Sound of Thunder is another one that desperately needed a remix. I absolutely hate the original mix. The video as it stands now is also unwatchable, due to yet more awful 80s post-production choices, so this could also turn out to be a welcome resuscitation. The Knebworth show from 1990 was one of the only times they performed "The Great Gig in the Sky" with the original vocalist Clare Torry (but it's not on the official VHS, so hopefully that's included here).

PULSE is going to be the same mix, same standard-definition video source, just 'restored and re-edited' for hi-def formats. Okay... guess we'll see how that turned out. I don't expect much improvement from the existing DVDs. The documentaries and unreleased live films could turn out to be worthwhile. Maybe the screen films from all the tours in one place will be nice and handy to have (the ones from the Dark Side/Wish You Were Here Immersion box sets were a little screwed up, and the PULSE DVD ones were cropped to the circular screen format).

I already have the 5.1 mix of The Division Bell on DVD, it's quite good but that's not the main attraction for me, just to have it here again on Blu-ray. Presumably, the new Momentary Lapse remix is also on that disc also in 5.1, so that should be worthwhile. Didn't everybody already get The Endless River deluxe version with the 5.1 mix? Regardless, it's probably here too. Everything except these 5.1 mixes appears to be duplicated on both Blu-ray and DVD. Waste of space and materials, if you ask me, but I don't mind having it just as a backup or to keep in a second location.

That leaves the two 7" singles, "Arnold Layne - Live" (from the May 2007 Syd Barrett tribute show, "Madcap's Last Laugh" at Barbican Hall in London) and "Lost for Words" band rehearsal. I dislike the latter song, so I don't care that it's here, but the AL performance is important presumably because it's the last official live performance from the band. Roger Waters played at the same show, solo, but he left the building before PF took the stage, ironically enough: his excuse was he had to catch a plane.

So, again, I'll wait and see what the full listing of contents is, but my gut reaction is there are some potentially interesting things here, but not enough for me to hit the pre-order button. I'll be the first to stream it/watch clips online of the restored stuff, but again, too much padding.
    Last edited by botley; 08-27-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    This was just shared on QuadrophonicQuad, where I found much of this initial news from user rontoon, who is close to the parties involved in the making of this, as well as other recent Floyd projects.

Details

On November 29th, Pink Floyd Records will release ‘Pink Floyd The Later Years’, an 18-disc set (5 x CDs, 6 x Blu-Rays, 5 x DVDs, 2x7” plus exclusive photo book and memorabilia) covering the material created by David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright from 1987 onward. The period generated record sales of over 40 million worldwide and included three studio albums: ‘A Momentary Lapse of Reason’, ‘The Division Bell’ and ‘The Endless River’ as well as two live albums: ‘Delicate Sound of Thunder’ and ‘Pulse’. With additional production from David Gilmour and Andy Jackson, over 13 hours of unreleased audio and audiovisual material, including the sought-after 1989 Venice and 1990 Knebworth concerts, ‘Pink Floyd The Later Years’ is a must for all fans.

CDs

5 x CDs, contained in their own 60-page, hardback book, containing a guide to all content, tracklistings, exhaustive content detail and credits.

CD 1 ‘A Momentary Lapse of Reason’ Remixed & Updated 51 mins

CD 2 & 3 ‘Delicate Sound Of Thunder’ Remixed 140 mins

CD 4 Live Recordings, 1987 & 1994 Unreleased Studio Recordings 65 mins

CD 5 Knebworth Concert 1990 57 mins

Blu-rays

6 x Blu-rays, each contained in a gatefold wallet with dedicated cover art, including tracklistings and music publishing credits. Discs contained in protective plastic sleeves inside wallet.

Blu-ray 1 Surround & Hi-res Audio Mixes 152 mins

Blu-ray 2 ‘Delicate Sound Of Thunder’ Restored & Remixed 120 mins

Blu-ray 3 ‘Pulse’ Restored & Re-edited 145 mins

Blu-ray 4 Venice Concert 1989 & Knebworth Concert 1990 147 mins Blu-ray 5 Unreleased Live Films Music Videos & Concert Screen Films 154 mins

Blu-ray 6 Documentaries & Unreleased Material 122 mins

DVD

5 x DVDs (duplicating the content of Blu-rays 2-6 above), each contained in a gatefold wallet with dedicated cover art, including tracklistings and music publishing credits.

7” Singles

2 x 7” vinyl singles in brand-new picture sleeves, featuring ‘Arnold Layne’ performed live by Pink Floyd at the Syd Barrett Tribute concert, 2007 and Lost For Words from the Pulse tour rehearsals at Earl’s Court.

Photo Book

60-page hard backed book of photos designed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis and Peter Curzon of StormStudios, including many previously unseen images.

Replica Tour Programmes and Lyric Book

A newly-created set of reproduction tour programmes (Pink Floyd World Tour 1987/1988, Pink Floyd Live 1989, Pink Floyd European Tour 1994), plus a brand new Lyrics Book, designed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis and Peter Curzon of StormStudios.

Memorabilia

A collection of reproduction memorabilia including tour passes, stickers and posters, all printed to replicate the originals, and contained in a prestige card envelope.

Amazon.co.uk also listed what looks like a 2LP vinyl release of highlights from the set

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Looks like this was briefly listed on pinkfloyd.com then taken down...

PINK FLOYD THE LATER YEARS HIGHLIGHTS DOUBLE LP

Tracklist:

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5) [Live at Knebworth 1990] [2019 Mix]
    2. Marooned Jam (Unreleased 1994 Recording)
    3. One Slip (2019 Remix) [A Momentary Lapse of Reason 2019 mix]
    4. Lost For Words (Tour Rehearsal 1994) [Previously unreleased]
    5. Us And Them (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder) [2019 Remix]
    6. Comfortably Numb (Live at Knebworth 1990) [2019 Mix]
    7. Sorrow (2019 Remix) [A Momentary Lapse of Reason 2019 mix]
    8. Learning To Fly (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder) [2019 Remix]
    9. High Hopes (Early Version) [Unreleased 1994 Recording]
    10. On The Turning Away (2019 Remix) [A Momentary Lapse of Reason 2019 mix]
    11. Wish You Were Here (Live at Knebworth 1990) [2019 Mix]
    12. Run Like Hell (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder) [2019 Remix]

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-29-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    One of the best concert movies I know. Amazing right from the very beginning, it's not just the concert but more like a story, and I didn't know the production was so EPIC, must have been absolutely mesmerizing to be there. Amazing sound, musicians, pictures, songs, female singers (doing it a bit differently this time) and I also love the new songs because they're just plain good.

I'd go to see it one more time without hesitation again. And the most powerful moment? The scene with words ending with "LOSER", wow. Damn, cinemas, just shut up and take my money and do it again. Just little observation, sound during some of the breaks (?) was louder and cleaner so I'm not sure if they happened also live or were edited in later.

PS: When was the last time that good artists were OK with POTUS?

Edit: Like, the chimneys even had smoke, are you for real? :-O :-) I was wondering if the images are projections or from the inside or what, but probably LED screens (70 meters long).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)