Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I want the box set really bad, but there's no way I can drop that much money at once. I may hold back and buy the individual volumes when they come out early next year. The final volume is exclusive to the box set though, but that's no big deal. I'm fine sticking to boots for those recordings.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The quality of the reproduced memorabilia in the box is great. Lots to look through, and plenty of pieces that'd look great framed. I'm still working my way through everything — the sixties era videos do look remarkably good. I'm a little skeptical about the quantity of digital noise reduction on some of the audio tracks, it doesn't feel right to me. But I'm happy to have it all in one place.

Oh, and the Meddle remix sounds great!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I heard that the BBC '71 show is in mono. The show is out there in true stereo, and sounds fantastic. At least the mix used for the box set is true mono and not a fold-down mix. Same for the one from the year before, but I believe there isn't any stereo mix of it at all.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yeah, over at the Hoffman forums there's a lot of griping about this. Apparently the stereo mix is also a different edit because it was made for a different purpose (broadcasts in other countries or whatever). I'd like to get my hands on the stereo mix anyway, if anyone knows a 'ROIO' (god what a stupid term) with proper sound quality.

Otherwise, I've been exploring the box material I give a shit about (not a Syd fan, sorry tr00 pr0ggerz~), and it's fantastic. Pompeii's new mix is a fucking revelation, though it's pretty clearly an alternate take – the "Echoes" climax is a completely different performance compared to the director's cut DVD (did they do the Pompeii songs over again in Paris with the remaining songs? Did they do multiple takes on site?). And the treatment of the mono overhead makes my head swim in a bad way.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Yeah, over at the Hoffman forums there's a lot of griping about this.
    Bunch of crybaby drama queens over there in my experience. The mono mix is better.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah, over at the Hoffman forums there's a lot of griping about this. Apparently the stereo mix is also a different edit because it was made for a different purpose (broadcasts in other countries or whatever). I'd like to get my hands on the stereo mix anyway, if anyone knows a 'ROIO' (god what a stupid term) with proper sound quality.
    Let There Beeb More Light is a great compilation of the BBC sessions (and some of the sessions on that comp are better quality than what made it on the box). It's on demonoid.

Otherwise, I've been exploring the box material I give a shit about (not a Syd fan, sorry tr00 pr0ggerz~), and it's fantastic. Pompeii's new mix is a fucking revelation, though it's pretty clearly an alternate take – the "Echoes" climax is a completely different performance compared to the director's cut DVD (did they do the Pompeii songs over again in Paris with the remaining songs? Did they do multiple takes on site?). And the treatment of the mono overhead makes my head swim in a bad way.
    I like the new Pompeii mix, but I don't like the mastering. It's sounds unreasonably harsh in the higher frequencies. It hurts my head listening to it on headphones. Also, there's a "static" going throughout some of the songs that I'm guessing is on the multitracks.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The mastering on almost all the CDs is pretty bright; I had to attenuate the treble on my stereo with some pretty drastic equalization just to make it through them all. Andy Jackson must have had his tube gear set to "stun"! But this box isn't an audiophile's delight by any means, nor did I expect it to be. They did what they could to make it listenable and consistent across wildly varying quality sources and did so without resorting to drastic limiting. Yeah, I could have lived without the NR but the hiss would have been distracting to others — so I can accept the trade off, really. Wasn't even expecting to have an official CD of the Pompeii stuff, let alone an additional outtake on it that's exclusive to this box. So that's pretty cool!

One thing that bugged me was the lack of subtitles available on the Schroeder films — I speak a little French, so most of the dialogue in La Vallée is comprehensible, but there are parts of More in German that I couldn't quite understand.
    Last edited by botley; 11-28-2016 at 11:10 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    One thing that bugged me was the lack of subtitles available on the Schroeder films — I speak a little French, so most of the dialogue in La Vallée is comprehensible, but there are parts of More in German that I couldn't quite understand.
    For what it's worth those movies are available elsewhere (presumably with subtitles), at least on DVD. I think BFI (British Film Institute) put them out on Blu-ray, in the UK.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yeah, I believe I also have some older pre-HD digital transfers in my PF bootleg archives with subs, but I haven't watched them in ages. I'm not too fussed about it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Final two releases of the vinyl reissues.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Still hoping for...

a) Delicate Sound DVD reissue (shut up, I love Gilmour-led era)
    b) original The Wall tour live DVD (come on, we know the footage exists)
    c) In The Flesh (Animals) tour live shit

oh and also Roger's DSOTM tour DVD.
    Last edited by fillow; 12-15-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Delicate Sound of Thunder looks terrible. It's an okay album, but the concert movie is way too stuck in the 80's for my taste.

I think the original Wall tour footage will come out whenever the Blu-ray (and likely the 5.1 mix of the album) for the movie comes out.

Sadly I don't think we'll get anything from the '77 tour, the shows were recorded on soundboard, but not in multi-track I believe.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw this at the NME: http://www.nme.com/news/music/pink-f...review-1942908

There's an instagram clip from Roger Waters playing something with producer Nigel Godrich. It sounds like old-school Floyd.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I was there that night. That was a beautiful video. Thanks for sharing

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Happy birthday you son of a bitch

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I was at the DT shows a couple weeks after that. I was sad not to see it being filmed. Really, really hoping this means that the Mexico City show(s) will end up with a release someday. It was a great production from start to finish.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    That is a badass video of one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs, the Animals album by Pink Floyd is such an underrated album because in its release timeline it is sandwiched between Wish You Were Here and The Wall. It's going to interesting to see what the new Roger Waters studio album is going to be like with Nigel Godrich (Radiohead) producing. I like them both so I have some high expectations for the album.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yes! Btw, I have my "Amused to death" shirt today. :-)

Edit: Great youtube comment: "Hope he goes after Trump, The final "Cunt"" ;-)
    Last edited by Substance242; 02-17-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    You can hear the Godrich influence all over that preview. A far cry from the production on the last album (which was much more big and bold), but that might prove to be a good thing.

The title is taken from a poem (presumably one of the songs on the record), one which he recited at one of the Desert Trip shows, and for Marc Maron's podcast.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    More tour dates announced earlier today as well. One being Milwaukee on a Saturday, already bought tickets for Chicago that I definitely would not be able to unload for face (given the amount still available on TM). Fuck, wasn't expecting that. :/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Dammit Nick Mason!

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/pink-f...gtr-1793420790

^^^ should make for some decent Jalopnik comments.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Roger is being interviewed on AXS TV tonight by Dan Rather.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    There are 18 non-repeating versions of 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene' on the The Early Years box set.
    I don't think Imma listen to this song for quite a while, after I finish with all the videos from the set.