Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Joy Division/New Order

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JOY DIVISION - Live 1979

I found an old bootleg tape, it seems to be from the 80's and the sound is decent.
    I ripped the tape and uploaded it. I guess some peoples here will dig it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    2nd part of the gig:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is awesome. I have a tendency to get into bands late and have fallen hard for Joy Division in the last year. No one did hypnotic feelings of nothingness like them. Thanks for posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the message, cool you like the video

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Daniel Miller (Mute) on Ableton event last year, I liked how he said that Bernard Sumner maybe regrets telling him "the best inspiration is a deadline", but without one they would still be in the studio with Music Complete. :-)
    https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/dani...ng-creativity/

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    my favorite thing ever:

Last edited by frankie teardrop; 06-20-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: updating video link

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    my favorite thing ever:

hahahahahahahahaha

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my favorite thing ever:
    oh my god that made me laugh so hard my mom had to pause what she was watching

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Killer bump by me, but since I trust you sweet sweet boys and girls, I figure this would be the best place to ask.

I've loved Joy Division for close to ten years, but was never SUPER into New Order. I have, though, got it through my head to give them another chance, as I feel they deserve it. Where should I start? Keep in mind, I listen to music almost exclusively on spotify, so if its on there, its easiest for me to listen to.

Cheers folks, and thank you for your help!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    @Big Fat Matt

"Movement" is dark and has a young Bernard trying to sound similar to Ian and contains very cryptic lyrics (it also has the only two songs ever sung by Peter Hook: Dreams Never End and Doubts Even Here). I'd start with Movement and then listen to Low-Life - especially the songs Sunrise, This Time of Night and Sooner Than You Think.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    @Big Fat Matt

"Movement" is dark and has a young Bernard trying to sound similar to Ian and contains very cryptic lyrics (it also has the only two songs ever sung by Peter Hook: Dreams Never End and Doubts Even Here). I'd start with Movement and then listen to Low-Life - especially the songs Sunrise, This Time of Night and Sooner Than You Think.
    I'll also add that Ceremony and In A Lonely Place, the last two songs Ian recorded (and In A Lonely Place is now out there with the complete lyrics if you look for it; doesn't cut off before the hangman line), also check out New Order's versions of them. Ceremony on "Substance" is the most common version, but there is also a rougher, more Ian-sounding vocal take on the "Singles" compilation - it's also known as the 7" version.

Moreover, check out the songs written by New Order dedicated to Ian, namely I.C.B. (Ian Curtis Buried), Procession (especially read the lyrics to that one, I love them), and Elegia (a beautiful instrumental that you can find an extended, almost 20 minute version of on the fifth limited disc of "Retro").

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I can't really get into New Order. Movement is a pretty good album though. If it weren't a Joy Division fan and told me it was JD, I'd probably believe you.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I'll also add that Ceremony and In A Lonely Place, the last two songs Ian recorded (and In A Lonely Place is now out there with the complete lyrics if you look for it; doesn't cut off before the hangman line), also check out New Order's versions of them. Ceremony on "Substance" is the most common version, but there is also a rougher, more Ian-sounding vocal take on the "Singles" compilation - it's also known as the 7" version.

Moreover, check out the songs written by New Order dedicated to Ian, namely I.C.B. (Ian Curtis Buried), Procession (especially read the lyrics to that one, I love them), and Elegia (a beautiful instrumental that you can find an extended, almost 20 minute version of on the fifth limited disc of "Retro").
    the extended version of elegia, as well as both versions of ceremony, are on the second discs of their respective albums in the deluxe versions. the long version of elegia is one of my favorite pieces of music ever recorded.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Also i would add the later albums like "Get Ready" and "Republic", since they are very easy listens and have great singles. (at least they worked for me...)

The "Substance" compilation, is also a good starting point.
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-13-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    New Order have announced a new live album, NOMC15, recorded at Brixton Academy in 2015 following the release of their most recent studio LP Music Complete. It’s out May 26, and features a set consisting of tracks from the new album, as well as cuts from the back catalog and Joy Division songs as well. Find the full tracklist below. The band’s last live album was Live at Bestival 2012.
    NOMC15:
    01 Singularity
    02 Ceremony
    03 Crystal
    04 5 8 6
    05 Restless
    06 Lonesome Tonight
    07 Your Silent Face
    08 Tutti Frutti
    09 People on the High Line [Ft. La Roux]
    10 Bizarre Love Triangle
    11 Waiting For the Sirens’ Call
    12 Plastic
    13 The Perfect Kiss
    14 True Faith
    15 Temptation
    16 Atmosphere
    17 Love Will Tear Us Apart
    18 Blue Monday

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    My NO recommended listening (based entirely on my own tastes) is basically:

All of Movement (no stinkers, masterpiece)
    All of Power, Corruption and Lies (only two stinkers: we all stand, 586)
    All singles *and* *B-sides* up to P,C&L (You must not skip Murder, Lonesome Tonight)
    The BBC sessions from around this time (best version of 586 imho, ace versions of Truth etc.)
    (Ceremony 7" > Ceremony 12")
    Taras Shevchenko (temptation finale is amazing)
    Temptation (studio) - tricky to recommend a definitive version of this.

The above is the cream IMHO. Then it thins out, some short album pics until modern times

*Love Vigilantes*
    This Time Of Night
    Sunrise
    Elegia (long version)
    Weirdo
    *All Day Long*
    Run
    Vanishing Point
    Dream Attack
    Regret
    Crystal
    60 MPH

(substance & random singles)
    True Faith
    Touched By The Hand of God

Then by the time you get to "Waiting for the Siren's Call" you can listen to all of that album and all of the last one

Oh, some essential remixes would be Bizarre Love Triangle Richard X and Temptation (secret machines)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Taras Shevchenko (temptation finale is amazing)
    Holy shit am I glad Bernard reworked those lyrics.

"All Day Long" is a favorite of mine - really poignant lyrics. If you like Bernard's vocals also check out Bad Lieutenant - Bernard's side project - and also the song he did guest vocals on called Miracle Cure.

Bad Lieutenant received mixed reviews but I personally loved it, especially the songs Summer Days, Higher Wider Deeper and This Is Home.
    Last edited by Ryan; 03-16-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Holy shit am I glad Bernard reworked those lyrics.
    Heh yeah. I think he was still writing them. That performance is so good IMHO because you can see just how hurt they are; they're only just crawling out from under the death of Ian (Temptation is really the turning point, writing-wise, iMHO). They got criticised a few times for the 80-81 live performances for being stand-offish, or closed over, not engaging with the audience; that's very clear on this video too. But the reason was they were still shit scared, they didn't know what they were going to do, they hadn't figured out their identity, and they were all still hurting.

"All Day Long" is a favorite of mine - really poignant lyrics.
    Mine too. I only really discovered it in the last few years, I'd never got that far into Brotherhood without getting bored before. Apparently he reveals stuff in his autobiography that squares with the lyrics of this (and True Faith); I haven't read it yet.

If you like Bernard's vocals also check out Bad Lieutenant - Bernard's side project - and also the song he did guest vocals on called Miracle Cure.
    I need to relisten to Bad Loo. One of their singles sounded really Doves-like, but I think Jimi was involved somehow? Anyway, I'll check out Miracle Cure too. Ta!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    ^ Just so you know, Split The Atom and Falling Trees were bonus tracks. Higher Wider Deeper was a Japanese bonus track, and How Long (vocals all done by Jake Evans, no Barney on this one) was an iTunes only bonus track.

Shine Like The Sun reminds me a lot of Love Vigilantes musically, and Walk On Silver Water is just damn gorgeous.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Man, can Hooky milk things or can Hooky milk things?!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/peter-...-3bf934f0.html

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Holy fuck!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    lol at times change. Glad it was only instrumental.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    It's never enough 'til your heart stops beating.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i would much rather see these kind of setlists than the usual greatest hits stuff they've been doing for years.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i would much rather see these kind of setlists than the usual greatest hits stuff they've been doing for years.
    i REAAAAAAALLY hope they keep this up and bring it to Riot Fest, especially since i've never seen them.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Basically yeah. I think they've gone and eaten Hooky's lunch: As a fan, I always expect a greatest hits set from NO and Hooky deliver the deep cuts. But maaan. Wish I could have made one of these MIF gigs

A bunch of songs from one stream or other

Reportedly there was a stream on the BBC too, I think distinct, but I haven't found it yet (it was apparently live at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p057074n/members/all )

But let's hope they cut an official release from these. There are some GREAT cuts on YT. I've been loving the Richard X version of BLT (which they've been doing for a little while live but not when I last saw them) and I'm loving the transition they make from it into Vanishing Point; and VP itself... I've yet to hear a good recording of Decades, and I would like to hear more of All Day Long too.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Peter Hook is doing a Substance tour in NA next year. Three FL dates, one of them is free, the others are 25 bucks, so there's no way I'm not going to one. Substance was foundational for me and it's as close to the real thing as I can get.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 08-30-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    maybe a few dates to be announced for UK/Europe for the spring??

https://pitchfork.com/news/new-order-announce-tour/

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Stayed clear of Music Complete because of no Hooky...Just listened to it for the first time....Fuck its good