Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat - third film to be shot in Australia

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I found the score terrible. Very cookie cutter, generic score. There was no need for regurgitating the original movie's theme song either.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Totally, not a shred of character.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I found the score terrible. Very cookie cutter, generic score. There was no need for regurgitating the original movie's theme song either.
    I haven't seen the movie yet but I find this fascinating.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think a lot of modern critics and people are taking it all for granted when it comes to the Mortal Kombat movie from 1995. It's a movie made during the early 1990's while containing CGI characters, massive sets, was partially filmed on location in the far east and features a few rather famous actors of the time (Tagawa, Lambert). That movie is a literal achievement in its own right for what it is and had a rather decent budget for those years too. It's not a movie made during the year 2020 when rendering farms are a thing and budgets are impossible amounts higher than what almost any movie from the early 90's had to work with. It's fun. It was good for its time and it tried to respect the source material. Back then 3D CGI was still in its absolute infancy concerning movies. A lot of people truly have lost all forms of perspective when looking back at the past.

This is a rather difficult to find documentary which might only still exist as VHS tape recordings made by fans during the days, and modern Youtube is doing its best to remove all high quality encodings:

With that written down:
    I don't think I'm going to watch the new movie before it airs for free on TV (more correct, the free streaming services owned by the TV stations where i live). The trailer already gave me a bad feeling about it all, and most reviews and articles aren't helping it one bit.

edit:
    this was supposed to be a reply to this post:
    https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...118#post531118
    Last edited by Detunez; 04-26-2021 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    One of my favorite hills to die on is refusing to criticize the quality of or contain about the abundance or presence of cgi.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So what i'm getting from this tread (and the greater soical media in general) is that you either loved it for really didn't like it, there doesn't appear to be any in-between. I'd sure love to give my opinion but the UK just doesn't have a legal way to watch it yet and i'm personally hoping we get some kind of cinema release at some point, but i'll go in with a not getting my hopes up mindset.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    FWIW I don't know shit about the "lore" of MK or any of the stories from the various video games over the years, and I still thought this movie was pretty weak. It felt like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a serious, gritty action film, or a goofy, campy fun film. I probably won't be watching any sequels, certainly not if I have to pay for them next time.
    Last edited by imail724; 04-26-2021 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    I think a lot of modern critics and people are taking it all for granted when it comes to the Mortal Kombat movie from 1995. It's a movie made during the early 1990's while containing CGI characters, massive sets, was partially filmed on location in the far east and features a few rather famous actors of the time (Tagawa, Lambert). That movie is a literal achievement in its own right for what it is and had a rather decent budget for those years too. It's not a movie made during the year 2020 when rendering farms are a thing and budgets are impossible amounts higher than what almost any movie from the early 90's had to work with. It's fun. It was good for its time and it tried to respect the source material. Back then 3D CGI was still in its absolute infancy concerning movies. A lot of people truly have lost all forms of perspective when looking back at the past.
    I would agree. This was still YEARS before the Matrix. The soundtrack was fun. I vaguely remember the film, but I think I owned that soundtrack at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    It felt like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a serious, gritty action film, or a goofy, campy fun film.
    I get the sense that a LOT of movies these days don't know where to put the theme. Execs get caught up in seeing the success of say, The Dark Knight on one end, or Guardians of the Galaxy on the other. Both made tons of money, and they can't decide where to throw their weight.

I haven't watched it yet, but will probably do so in the next few days.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The execs at WB are kind of known for meddling though so I wonder how much of it is that?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Even if there was indeed meddling, doesn't negate the fact that the writers they chose is confusing. One dude that has absolutely no credits for anything other than this film, with the other writer doing Wonder Woman 1984 which was also pretty terrible and uneven. If they pick more well rounded writers for the sequel, they could redeem themselves.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oh I did not know that was the pedigree.

I wonder if theater vs. home is also a thing? We watched GvK this weekend and it was loud but it also allowed us to vocally brutalize the story while it was going on instead of stay quiet until the very end and I certainly noticed it affected enjoyment.

Either way we're still watching Mortal Kombat this weekend. Can't wait for my son's body horror issues to come to the fore! *cackles maniacally*

Last edited by allegate; 04-26-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    So I watched Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge on HBO max and, yeah, why in the fuck couldn't they just do something like that? Told a good story and included a lot of favorite characters all in an hour and 20 minutes. Nostalgia aside, it's the best Mortal Kombat movie.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just finished watching the new movie. Yikes. That was terrible

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    So I watched Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge on HBO max and, yeah, why in the fuck couldn't they just do something like that? Told a good story and included a lot of favorite characters all in an hour and 20 minutes. Nostalgia aside, it's the best Mortal Kombat movie.
    I started watching that a few days ago and forgot it was even out after watching almost everything MK before the new movie. I caught the first half hour of it and absolutely loved what I saw... I wholeheartedly agree.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Scorpion one man army slicing fools up and chopping arms off.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    this was quite possibly the stupidest movie ive ever sat through.

The last battle was like... wait thats it?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Just finished watching the new movie. Yikes. That was terrible
    I had it on for a while I was on my computer. I think they were definitely going for camp + gore, which kinda fits the game. But yah, I did not care about it at all and turned it off halfway.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Good news is that a sequel has been greenlit, so before long people will actually remember what the MK universe is supposed to feel like!

I'm really excited for it; there's never been any kind of real adaptation of the MK2 storyline at all outside of MK9's version of it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I wouldn't call this movie good, by any stretch of the imagination, but I did really enjoy it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I grew up playing the MK games and well.. this new movie was a bit of a shit show IMO for many reasons but I think @Detunez and @Shadaloo made some excellent points about this movie and the original. As a fan of the MK universe, I can't any sincere way recommend to newcomes to MK watching this movie.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The Giant Bombcast had a pretty good discussion of the film as fans of the video game looking at what the movie tried to do. Starts about 9:00.

(if that link doesn't start at the right time, that is)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It was Ok for what it was, i mean, it Mortal fuckin Kombat, not Cronenberg

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    It was Ok for what it was, i mean, it Mortal fuckin Kombat, not Cronenberg
    What is Mortal Kombat to you? That's the question.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This thread is groundhogs day

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Fuck it, who's everyone favorite character? We can all agree that's a fun discussion.

Been a Smoke guy since 1995

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Fuck it, who's everyone favorite character? We can all agree that's a fun discussion.

Been a Smoke guy since 1995
    Now, that's fucking HARD.

I've always gone with the stranger looking guys, and guys with cool names. So, I love Kabal, Smoke, Noob Saibot, Rain, but, ULTIMATELY?

Kung Lao.

Watch out for my motherfucking HAT, @Shadaloo . It slices Smoke, AND dices him.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Ermac all the way. It's a dark horse for sure

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @allegater what is a Certain Marc Millar Comix, tho?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I posted in the comics thread about it.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Ermac all the way. It's a dark horse for sure
    Same! I don't like how the lore makes him a bitch though.. he loses almost every battle he is in. With his powers, it doesn't add up to me.