Page 27 of 76 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just saw House by Nobuhiko Obayashi..... what the fuck? That was fucking insane. And I loved every second of it.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    That movie just can't age. It's a monument. We should send it into space, it would explain humanity way better than a few drawings and formulas ever will.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I second that.
    Watched it yesterday. Pretty dull. 5/10 (rounded up from 4.5). Barely better than The Gallows.
    Thirded (The Vatican Tapes.) I fucking actually turned it off. And i'll do you one better and say that i FAR preferred the Gallows.

BTW i watched The Green Inferno, and it didn't shock me, BUT, I got to thinking.. @slave2thewage would it have shocked us in 1998 or so? I really think it would have. I think everyone would be tripping out about it and i got to wondering, what's changed?
    The answer is a LOT, and although i can't put my finger on exactly what it is, The Walking Dead is part of it.
    I think that show has done a LOT to collectively desensitize us as a society. It's not JUST the walking dead, but the envelope is definitely being pushed ever further.

What will it take in the future? Hell, what would it take NOW, to seriously shock the majority of people?
    (i'll..keep...digging/ till i...feel...something)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I just saw House by Nobuhiko Obayashi..... what the fuck? That was fucking insane. And I loved every second of it.
    Funny, I just watched House​ for the first time as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Lots of jump scares in The Ghost Dimension.

Katie wasn't in it! Older Katie anyway.
    saw it last night and it seems like the jump scares are all it really does have. despite the jump scares being mostly telegraphed they still manage to get a reaction, i'm not certain if that is brilliance or laziness.

maybe buried in there somewhere is a coherent story, but the presentation is so minimal the story alternates between being irrelevant or heavy handed, the movie seems to deliberately leave gaps and expects the audience to just fill them in somehow.

and like most of the found footage type movies (exception granted to "the visit" which imho used the format quite well) all of the various actions become an increasingly illogical mess.

further, it seems like there was 20mins or so of movie that was just missing.

on the plus side some of the effects / scenes were appropriately creepy. I still like the scene from the trailer with the little girl in the past seeing & interacting somewhat with the 2 guys watching the tape.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I've watched more films than this over the last week or so, but these are the ones sticking out in my mind:

The Burning (1981): this movie is a bit disappointing considering I felt it was a bit too slow paced at times, plus the introduction to Cropsey at the beginning was totally unnecessary and makes the character less scary. It also confirms way too early that he's actually the one whose doing the killings, which to me makes the movie less interesting. This movie should have kept the audience guessing as to whether it was really Cropsey, or if it was actually someone else using the Cropsey legend to their advantage. If this film was edited down into fixing these problems, then I imagine it could have been as popular and as great as Halloween, Friday The 13th and Nightmare On Elm Street.

The People Under the Stairs (1991): I don't have much to say about this movie movie other than it's absolutely absurd and enjoyable. I enjoyed every minute of it.

My Bloody Valentine (1981): Pretty good overall, didn't expect the twist. The mines were a pretty interesting setting for a slasher film.

Triangle (2009): Neat idea, but the execution could have been better. Pretty sure there are a few plotholes, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

The Tall Man (2012): I kind of liked this movie, but I can understand why people don't like it. It's hard to talk about it without revealing anything, but all I'm gonna say is if you ever watch this movie, don't go into it expecting a horror film. It's not a horror film even though it appears to be one. Best part about the movie is the setting though, which reminded me a bit of Alan Wake.

Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story (2015): This did not capture the spirit of the Marble Hornets webseries like I hoped it would. Also, that needless relationship drama was annoying. Doug Jones as Slenderman is pretty neat, but you don't really see him do much. I mean, I know Slenderman didn't do much in the webseries, but you got Doug Jones to play him! To me, that's just wasted talent when they could have just got a anyone to do it. Angus Scrimm cameo was pretty funny.

It Follows (2014): There's some really nice cinematography in this film, but other than that, I found It Follows pretty meh. Also, I know a lot of people liked the score, but it didn't really do it for me. Sounded like someone trying to imitate John Carpenter but falling short. It sounded too polished and dry, if that makes sense. The idea of the film is interesting, but I think it could have been a lot scarier.

I also watched the Phantasm series. 1 is good, though feels like something is missing, 2 is good as well, 3 is fun and 4 is meh. The new one looks super cheap. I can't believe Don Coscarelli isn't directing it considering it's the last film.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koz-ivan View Post
    saw it last night and it seems like the jump scares are all it really does have. despite the jump scares being mostly telegraphed they still manage to get a reaction, i'm not certain if that is brilliance or laziness.

maybe buried in there somewhere is a coherent story, but the presentation is so minimal the story alternates between being irrelevant or heavy handed, the movie seems to deliberately leave gaps and expects the audience to just fill them in somehow.

and like most of the found footage type movies (exception granted to "the visit" which imho used the format quite well) all of the various actions become an increasingly illogical mess.

further, it seems like there was 20mins or so of movie that was just missing.

on the plus side some of the effects / scenes were appropriately creepy. I still like the scene from the trailer with the little girl in the past seeing & interacting somewhat with the 2 guys watching the tape.
    I enjoyed the part with "seeing" Toby while he was trapped beneath that sheet thing in the circle. Loved the effects there.

It was only 88 minutes long, I think.

from what I've read they want to make one more to fully tell everything there is to tell or something like that.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @slave2thewage would it have shocked us in 1998 or so? I really think it would have. I
    I don't think so. It seems to constantly have this threat of veering into something as extreme as Cannibal Holocaust and those other Italian cannibal movies, but it either just avoids it, adds dick jokes or has OTT gore effects aren't great. Eli Roth is a decent director, but I feel he can't help but add in humour to all of his movies.

Also, it's hard to shock with horror movies in a world where you can watch genuine decapitations and war crimes on YouTube.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i want to see the green inferno when it's on demand. slave has confirmed my expectations. we'll see.

watching the original halloween 2. i think it's underrated. sure, plot holes a'plenty, but still genuinely scary and fun. it perpetuates the helpless female lead, but i've liked it since i was a kid.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I should post my personal ranking of the Halloween franchise. It's always controversial.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I should post my personal ranking of the Halloween franchise. It's always controversial.
    how so? is season of the witch your favorite or something? spill.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Season of the Witch is awesome, my favorite along with Halloween 1 and H20

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Season of the witch is cool, but nothing beats the first two. Even though I see part 2 get alot of shit.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    really? wow. i think part three sucks. even as a kid i felt robbed watching it. and h2o? is that the one l.l. cool j is in? damn. i'm the minority here, i think. one and two are great and i have a soft spot for parts four and five as vhs rentals in the 80's, but ...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Here you are, to rage over -

Original
    2 (Rob Zombie)
    Remake
    H20
    Resurrection

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i guess i need to see part six. that's as rage-tastic as i'll get.

for the record, part three is just about over on sci-fi. it still isn't great, but it's better than i remember it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As long as you've got the original as the first, I don't really care what order the others are in. Haha.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The reason why part 2 isn't that great (to me at least) is because it's essentially the same movie except in a hospital, plus with the gore needlessly cranked up just so they could compete with any other slasher film. Also, killing off Michael the way they did just made the entire thing less scary. I find it much more scarier that Michael got away, and he's lurking somewhere in the night, probably waiting for next Halloween to attack. Hell, I don't even understand why the sequel had to take place the same night. Why couldn't they have had it taken place during the Halloween afterwards?

Also, I like Halloween 3. It has a great atmosphere, John Carpenter's score is phenomenal and I think all the actors did a great job. Also, there is a tiny bit of "Michael Myers" if you look careful. No it's not Michael himself, but you can tell that Conal Cochran's men were influenced by Michael. When I originally noticed this myself when I was younger (before I'd seen any of the sequels besides 2 & 3), I thought that Cochran had something to do with the way Michael Myers became. I was pretty disappointed when there was never any mention of him during the sequels.

So, anyway last night I watched Tales of Halloween & Trick 'R Treat. I hadn't seen Trick R' Treat since it came out, for some reason. I forgot how pretty brutal it was. It's still as enjoyable as it was when I first watched it. Probably the most disturbing part is Spoiler: when the girl with the glasses leaves the other kids to die in the quarry, and you can hear them being eaten. It's funny, but it's still disturbing. Also, did you guys know a new Graphic Novel came out earlier this month? I'll have to pick it up and read it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Trick-r-Treat-...+graphic+novel

As for Tales of Halloween, if you're gonna watch it, don't go in expecting anything serious. It's an incredibly wacky collection of short films all tacking place in the same universe. Some of them are funny, some of them are juvenile and stupid. But I had fun watching it. It's not as great as Trick 'R Treat, but I can see people watching this for every other Halloween.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 10-30-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Hell, I don't even understand why the sequel had to take place the same night. Why couldn't they have had it taken place during the Halloween afterwards?
    Because Dino de Laurentiis. Carpenter's original pitch was set three years after with Laurie living in Chicago with Myers coming back and stalking her through the apartment complex she was living in, but de Laurentiis was all "no, direct sequel". At least that's one of the stories about it.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i don't remember the goofy slide whistle sound effects when the two cops show up at rachel's in the beginning of part five. mood killer, big time. wtf?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Part III's only "sin" is to be part of the "Halloween franchise", if the movie had been an independent film of it's own it would be better rated (thankfully lately the movie has been re-evaluated by fans on the internet).

H20 is good and i do prefer LL Cool J over Busta Rhymes ruining the movie on the infamous "Halloween Resurrection".

Rob Zombie's Halloween movies are a mixed bag, great scenes and directing along with terrible storyline and dialog, but i like the second one better, at least is a bit more enjoyable.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    WNUF Halloween Special (2013): not as good as I was expecting, but it captures late 80's/early 90's television well. Almost too well. The fake commercials get annoying after a while. Some of them are a bit funny, but then they get tedious. I guess that's what they were going for, but it just feels like filler to me. Also, it's weird how there are parts that will fast forward through random commercials and news bits, yet there are many, many times where they don't fast forward when it's actually needed. They should have just left the fast forwarding to the viewer. Sure, we wouldn't have had that nostalgic VHS fast forwarding sound, but if you really needed that sound, you could always just dub the thing on a VHS tape yourself (or buy the VHS version). My last complaint is that the twist is kind of lame. But other than these faults, it's worth watching and nice for Halloween

Ghostwatch (1992): I'd never heard of this until early this year, around the same time I heard about the WNUF Halloween Special. They suite each other nicely. WNUF is obviously influenced by it, but whereas WNUF is very comedic, Ghostwatch comes across as a bit more serious. It starts off a bit slow, but not as bad as WNUF does. It's more creepier since it's more serious. If you look carefully, you can notice things that aren't acknowledge by the crew. When the shit hits the fan, it really hits the fan. Things get chaotic and before you know it, it's over. No resolution, it just ends abruptly. Very appropriate. I'd recommending pairing this up with WNUF because they really go together nicely. Both perfect for Halloween, and it's a bonus that they both take place on Halloween. WNUF is more festive though.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    so @Deepvoid , are you gonna make a plex account or what?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    so @Deepvoid , are you gonna make a plex account or what?
    Sorry buddy. No plex account after all. I made some verification and with capped data, you'd be eating my bandwidth each time you would stream something off my library.

I'll keep feeding you suggestions though!
    Here's a new one that got released a few days back: Visions
    It's with Isla Fisher, Jim Parsons and Gillian Jacobs. Haven't had the chance to watch it yet though

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Sorry buddy. No plex account after all. I made some verification and with capped data, you'd be eating my bandwidth each time you would stream something off my library.

I'll keep feeding you suggestions though!
    Here's a new one that got released a few days back: Visions
    It's with Isla Fisher, Jim Parsons and Gillian Jacobs. Haven't had the chance to watch it yet though
    i'm gonna figure out a way to eat your bandwidths anyway!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    for some strange reason, the only theater showing Paranormal Activity in amarillo is this run-down 6 screen joint in the mall. Crazy, right?

It's only in select theaters, and that's the one they selected, despite there being a FEW state of the art IMAX 3d places in town.

The good news is that i can easily WALK to that theater from this hotel, and the tickets are $5 for 2d and $7 for 3d.
    @Ryan , do we need to see it in 3d? do they make good use of it?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I just saw it in 2D.

heh, they charge out the ass here in Australia to see movies. Regular showing in 2D was 20 something bucks.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I just saw it in 2D.

heh, they charge out the ass here in Australia to see movies. Regular showing in 2D was 20 something bucks.
    good gawd.

i saw it in 3d and i thought it was fucking INCREDIBLE.

i think that they should only allow horror fans to review horror flix.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Holy Molly! How much is the popcorn? $10?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Holy Molly! How much is the popcorn? $10?
    dude the popcorn is AT LEAST $10 for a large in texas, more like $12

A large drink is $6 or 7