Page 235 of 263 FirstFirst ... 135 185 225 233 234 235 236 237 245 ... LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,050 of 7873

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    What the fuck? Could they not have picked ANYTHING from the Rush catalogue with lyrics that actually belong in 2020?

Did the Coheed and Cambria guy actually sing "live for yourself, there's no one else worth living for, begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more"? 3 edgy 5 me (leaving aside the fact that he changed/butchered "no one else more worth living for", which is how the original goes).

Oh — and it ends with a Patreon subscription and merch pitch, of course, "all of which" is donated to... themselves! Very on-brand!
    Last edited by botley; 07-27-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Oh and it ends with a Patreon subscription and merch pitch, of course, none of which is donated to anyone but themselves.
    Read the description of the video: "In lieu of taking money for this cover, all of the artists who participated will be donating their fees for this video to The Cancer Research Institute."

Normally the Patreon money is given to the artists in these videos. And normally the artists in these videos are from fairly small bands who could really use it.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Read the description of the video: "In lieu of taking money for this cover, all of the artists who participated will be donating their fees for this video to The Cancer Research Institute."

Normally the Patreon money is given to the artists in these videos. And normally the artists in these videos are from fairly small bands who could really use it.
    I'm glad that they're finding their way. I hope their time in limelight returns. Crying real tears over here, it hit me closer to the heart than expected.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Gotta admit, immediately looking for a way to be offended/angry about literally anything is pretty on brand for 2020 too.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I mean, if you didn't know anything about Gwarsenio et. al. except for these covers then I'd 100% agree with you. All of the profits from the covers go to the artists involved because none of them are touring right now. Sure this one is an anomaly with all of those big names but usually they're pulling in people from bands like Mrs. Piss, Fucked & Bound, Pup, Piebald, Royal Thunder, Old Man Gloom, Cloak...the list goes on. Bands that have nothing but goodwill and maybe Bandcamp right now to help them.

Outside of the covers they have donated a lot of money to outside causes. They auctioned off a bass guitar that was used in some of the covers + maybe the 2M2LN show and that raised $5k for The Okra Project. They were part of a soundrink raffle that raised over $60k for the ACLU, the NAACP, and Black Visions Collective.

I'm more surprised they got Danny. One, maybe two people here will understand that but that's the kind of crowd I play to.

Or, you know, what he said.
    Very on-brand!
    On second read...what does this mean? It implies a level of awareness of a "brand" that I don't think I understand.
    Last edited by allegate; 07-27-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Gotta admit, immediately looking for a way to be offended/angry about literally anything is pretty on brand for 2020 too.
    I'm not offended or angry, I've just always had a bug in my pants over that song, particularly the line I singled out, and said so in the Rush thread years ago. The lyric is transparently about rejecting appeals to the greater good. It's named after a freakin' Ayn Rand novella, for crying out loud. That's what I meant by "on-brand" to conclude the video with a sales pitch.

Good for them supporting such worthy causes! It just was... not couched that way in the video itself.
    Last edited by botley; 07-27-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Came for Claypool, stayed for what ended up being a pretty sweet cover!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think we should remove all lyrics and vocals from EVERY recording on the planet earth. I'm sick of being disgusted by words and thoughts!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    I think we should remove all lyrics and vocals from EVERY recording on the planet earth. I'm sick of being disgusted by words and thoughts!
    Conform or be cast out! We have assumed control! We have assumed control. We have ASSUMED CONTROL.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Really awesome, thanks!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

A post shared by on

I do hope they're able to get slightly better mixes on this one, the sound was up and down on the songs for the last EP with the demo being the worst offender.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5bv14UCz0A

I always forget about this supposed book. Then when I’m reminded of it I wish it was a real thing. Or maybe it is.

"In the summer of 1948, Ronald P. Vincent, a crop-spray contractor, moved from Kansas to Hollywood after his wife had been dismembered in a bizarre snow plough accident. Inspired by the unrelenting pain he felt, Vincent penned his first and only book, 'A Joyful Guide to Lachrymology. '"

Then there’s this more recent one by Peter Barnes that is actually a book:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Joyful-Gui.../dp/B07F1DBBPN

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I always forget about this supposed book. Then when I’m reminded of it I wish it was a real thing. Or maybe it is.
    It's not. This is kind of a hilarious thing. Maynard should have been a stand up comedian.

He made up this thing on the fly, about an author "from the 40s" named "Ronald P Vincent" (which, COME ON, make up a silly name, Patrick D Pitford? Does that sound more/less convincing?) and it was a book about the therapy of crying... and yet you cannot find ANY mention of this book or this author or this philosophy without it somehow being overshadowed by it having something to do primarily with Tool.

It's been something that's always kinda bugged me about Tool, even as they're clearly making fun of this sort of fan. They clearly encourage these conspiracy theorists and these whackjob mentalities into thinking that if they figure out the code between time signature changes they'll discover the cure to vaccines or something... and while I'm sure it's fun for them, and they're millionares and wine makers, so fuck it...

I dunno, I liked when I could go to a Tool show and not feel like I was attending a cult meeting. Then again, I liked when I could go to any shows.

EDIT: And just to be clear @Erneuert I am totally not mocking you here... I checked and looked into finding out if this book exists. I got played like an idiot.. I actually spent probably about an hour of my stupid life looking into it. So, I'm not making fun of ANYONE for wondering if this is real, I'm just saying, it's totally not, and they're laughing at you/us.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-04-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It's not. This is kind of a hilarious thing. Maynard should have been a stand up comedian.

He made up this thing on the fly, about an author "from the 40s" named "Ronald P Vincent" (which, COME ON, make up a silly name, Patrick D Pitford? Does that sound more/less convincing?) and it was a book about the therapy of crying... and yet you cannot find ANY mention of this book or this author or this philosophy without it somehow being overshadowed by it having something to do primarily with Tool.

It's been something that's always kinda bugged me about Tool, even as they're clearly making fun of this sort of fan. They clearly encourage these conspiracy theorists and these whackjob mentalities into thinking that if they figure out the code between time signature changes they'll discover the cure to vaccines or something... and while I'm sure it's fun for them, and they're millionares and wine makers, so fuck it...

I dunno, I liked when I could go to a Tool show and not feel like I was attending a cult meeting. Then again, I liked when I could go to any shows.

EDIT: And just to be clear @Erneuert I am totally not mocking you here... I checked and looked into finding out if this book exists. I got played like an idiot.. I actually spent probably about an hour of my stupid life looking into it. So, I'm not making fun of ANYONE for wondering if this is real, I'm just saying, it's totally not, and they're laughing at you/us.
    lol, he says it was such normality and conviction in that interview that it doesn’t seem false in the least. Comes across as totally genuine. That’s some fine acting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The most satisfying aspect of Tool fandom is being one the of idiots they’re sometimes not so vaguely pointing their finger at, with tongue firmly in cheek, in some of their songs.

Or maybe it’s being on of those idiots and not realizing it, I dunno. I’ve encountered quite a few at quite a few Tool shows, and they seem like some of the most genuinely happy people I’ve ever met. They do say ignorance is bliss
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 08-05-2020 at 02:01 AM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Annie Clark (aka St. Vincent) jamming on "46+2":

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So, the Fear Inoculum single came out roughly a year ago already. We're also about 2 weeks out from the release date on August 30th, 2019.

Time flies!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    It still sounds like Forced Inoculum a year later, too. 7empest was the only thing even remotely worth a 13 year wait on it. I still can’t believe they put a drum solo on there as an actual album track, or duped their fans into paying hundreds for the initial video book version when they had like six additional pressings lined up for future roll out..

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    It still sounds like Forced Inoculum a year later, too. 7empest was the only thing even remotely worth a 13 year wait on it. I still can’t believe they put a drum solo on there as an actual album track, or duped their fans into paying hundreds for the initial video book version when they had like six additional pressings lined up for future roll out..
    To be fair, the drum solo had some fun modular wanking going on too.

But yeah, if Tool can put out tracks like that (which really only include participation from the drummer and a third party), then you'd expect them to be a little more prolific. I also think it really disrupted the flow of the album, even though I liked it for what it was.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Let's be honest, he had his mind made up before it even came out. He's made it abundantly clear that he's got an ax to grind when it comes to Tool.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Let's be honest, he had his mind made up before it even came out. He's made it abundantly clear that he's got an ax to grind when it comes to Tool.
    Who?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Who?
    I’m guessing he’s talking about Prettybrokenspiral.

Outside of the interlude songs and CCTrip, 7empest is the next weakest song IMHO (if we’re counting backwards). Its a banger, but the other four songs do more for me for whatever reasons I can’t really explain.

FI is an absolute solid Tool album, that never would live up to the expectations of the most severe critics.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    No album can live up to the 13-year hype.

Even if Tool released Ænima & Lateralus as a double record instead of FI, there'd be still people whining about it.

How dare they release Faaip de Oiad or Die Eier von Satan as a song? What a waste of space. It's not like they sat on this material or recorded this album for 13 years.

Fear Inoculum is a solid Tool record.

And if any drummer deserves a drum solo track, Danny Carey is definitely at the top of the list along with Gavin Harrison, Nick D'Virgilio & others.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    7empest was by far my favorite track on the album, but it's all subjective.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My favorite track is Invincible but 7empest blew my mind on the first listen. I was shocked they could still make something that sounded like Undertow.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    This is mine in order:

7empest
    Descending
    Invincible
    Pneuma
    Culling Voices
    Fear Inoculum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    you know what the problem is? the band is not going to please everyone all the time.
    if they had just released something after only 5 years instead of a 13-14 year wait.. and only done it for the sake of releasing something, i am pretty damn sure alot of people would be very critical of the Tool band saying they just released something for the sake of releasing something.

i really love FI. is it perfect? no but no amount of time was going to allow for a perfect release.
    anyway, they released the album, great and hopefully if there is another one, its not a 13 year wait but im also not holding my breath either.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    It’s not an ax to grind. I own all of their albums on multiple formats and at least four dozen bootlegs by them. To say I wanted FI to underwhelm would be anything but honesty..

But alas, underwhelm it most certainly does. Culling Voices and the title track are two of the most faceless tracks they’ve ever put to record, and Pneuma is a virtual rewrite of Schism. The drum solo and the weird little interludes don’t do anything to enhance the album. It all just sounds like Tool trying very hard to remember what Tool is supposed to sound like..

Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    No album can live up to the 13-year hype.

Even if Tool released Ænima & Lateralus as a double record instead of FI, there'd be still people whining about it.
    Had they released a double album the caliber of those two albums, nobody would be complaining, believe me..

How dare they release Faaip de Oiad or Die Eier von Satan as a song? What a waste of space.
    When they’re orbited by phenomenal album tracks that actually push the boundaries of their sound, they are perfectly acceptable within the context of their albums..

It's not like they sat on this material or recorded this album for 13 years.
    They were spinning their wheels on FI for nearly a decade, at least. Maynard admitted to as much in an interview after the album came out, that the album they had in 2011 would have been just as well as what eventually came out in 2019..

The fact that he lost interest in Tool and emailed them his vocal tracks tells you all you really need to know..

Fear Inoculum is a solid Tool record.
    It’s not terrible. It sounds great when it’s playing because it’s produced so well. At least they put that time to good use. But song-wise, it’s easily their nadir..

Tool fanatics were going to love FI no matter what the band put out. But it definitely wasn’t worth waiting 13 years for (or even six, for that matter)..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My only complaint is that the interludes go nowhere besides CCT. Other than that, I think it's an incredibly solid album, I like it better than 10,000 Days. I hadn't listened to Tool in years until the week before the album was to release.