Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mark Lanegan

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    just found out about this: https://martynlenobleandchristianeig...gan-dave-gahan

gahan + lanegan!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    New album on the way from Lanegan & Duke Garwood- http://heavenlyrecordings.com/new-mu...-with-animals/

Dropping in late August! Included in the album announcement is the first single, "Save Me". It's surreal & a little psychedelic & very promising. Looking forward to anything these guys collaborate on.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Eh, the single isn't really clicking for me. Maybe it's just the quality of the YouTube video, but it doesn't sound particularly inspired in terms of production, more like it came straight off Duke's laptop... a few sketchy samples of analogue loops with Mark singing over top, through various plug-ins. Doesn't have the 'spookiness' I generally associate with his voice.
    Last edited by botley; 05-30-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The new album arrived today. Will check it out along with the new AIC. Here's a review:

https://www.ft.com/content/b1577a08-...a-eeb7a9ce36e4

Going to have to check out some of Garwood's solo material.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I don't know what to make of the new album. I like it. It's murky, downbeat and dark as fuck. It makes Leonard Cohen look like ABBA by comparison.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mark Lanegan with Nicole Atkins, covering "November Rain." Pretty good.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Brand new album Someone's Knocking due in October:
    https://completemusicupdate.com/arti...ng-in-october/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New single "Stitch it Up." Great song and video. It's pretty damn funny.

Some background on the video:
    https://www.stereogum.com/2039905/ma...-driver/video/
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-15-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Looking forward to this but I'd wish for a more dreamy record again. We actually got that with "with animals", but you catch my drift. Very excited though to see him in a smaller club again this fall.

Has anyone gotten his lyrics book yet? It should be arrving any day and I can't wait for him to sign this.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw Mark Lanegan at the Sinclair, a small club in Cambridge MA on Monday. He was great, of course. He's super chill, but was annoyed when a person kept yelling for "Nearly Lost You."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Saw Mark Lanegan at the Sinclair, a small club in Cambridge MA on Monday. He was great, of course. He's super chill, but was annoyed when a person kept yelling for "Nearly Lost You."
    Sounds like every Lanegan show I've ever been to (and I've been to a lot!).

LOL

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Wow, this is pretty retro. Very cool.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New album Straight Songs of Sorrow is out 5/8.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New song:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    as I stated in the Nirvana thread, Mark's recently released autobiography is strongly recommended. if you're a fan of his it's a must read. I can see why in interviews he said he did not look back fondly as he was writing it. I can only imagine the anguish he must have felt writing it.

and no, there will never be a Screaming Trees reunion lol. which I'm more than fine with, from Blues Funeral onwards is my favorite stuff. can't wait for the new record, which is supposed to coincide with the book.

bummer the book came out during this time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    as I stated in the Nirvana thread, Mark's recently released autobiography is strongly recommended. if you're a fan of his it's a must read. I can see why in interviews he said he did not look back fondly as he was writing it. I can only imagine the anguish he must have felt writing it.

and no, there will never be a Screaming Trees reunion lol. which I'm more than fine with, from Blues Funeral onwards is my favorite stuff. can't wait for the new record, which is supposed to coincide with the book.

bummer the book came out during this time.
    new record has leaked and it's pretty damn good, i was hoping to be able to buy them both at a show when he comes back in town and have him sign them but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon I'm afraid.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    new interview, nearly 2 hours long!
    I may have heard it wrong, but I think he said he played all the instruments on the album? if so, that's pretty awesome. he's now become Prince hah!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    another new 2 hour interview. he's been killing it lately with these long interviews!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Lots of neat stuff coming from out of his vault! While I don't necessarily love his newest records apart from a handful of kickass tracks, the new one is shaping up nicely for my taste. Blues Funeral and Bubblegum will remain as my favorites as well as the two records with Duke Garwood, that I hope will soon see a third one. I like his music a little darker, but all the power to him if he is in a better place now! He deserves it!

My copy should arrive soon, in the meantime I gave the audio book a listen as I had a free audible month giveaway lying around. Perfect timing and it's very interesting where he's going with this. Curious if he will get into more details with certain people as the book goes on. Clocking in at 12h it's a long but worthwhile read/listen.

Travis Keller from good ol' Buddyhead is working closely with him these days which I find cool as well.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    the most raw and brutal rock memoir written:
    https://www.kerrang.com/features/mar...-ever-written/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    @versusreality , Did Lanegan discuss his relationship with Guns N' Roses? He's recorded with Duff, Izzy and Slash, recorded a cover of "November Rain" and opened up for them for a few shows during their reunion tour. Kind of unusual that an indie-Seattle rocker would be so involved with a band like GN'R.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    He did speak about Duff towards the end. Duff took care of Mark once Mark got clean. Duff was very kind and gracious to him and let him live rent free at his places for an extended period of time, and even gave Mark a suit to attend Duff's wedding. The book ends at Lane Staley's death, so he doesn't get into anything post 2002 ish.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Liam Gallagher and Lanegan have an ongoing feud that dates back to the 90's.

Lanegan claims that Gallagher quit a tour in the 90's to avoid a fight.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-04-2020 at 07:01 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    As a fan of both I'm not really keen on their choice of words respectively. While it might be true that Liam might have deserved a little reality check during that time, threatening to fuck somebody up next time you meet is just as dickheaded. Especially when this is a 24 year old feud.

Anyway, I'm glad both of them are releasing great tunes so late in their careers in the end.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    yeah, there were some interesting notes about the Oasis tour in his book. Liam was a prick to Mark from the second he met, but Mark isn't one to take shit. Mark was going to pretty much beat the shit out of him on the next tour date, but Liam quit right before that date and that was the end of the tour.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    yeah, there were some interesting notes about the Oasis tour in his book. Liam was a prick to Mark from the second he met, but Mark isn't one to take shit. Mark was going to pretty much beat the shit out of him on the next tour date, but Liam quit right before that date and that was the end of the tour.
    Wouldn't it have just been easier to drop The Screaming Trees from the tour?