Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails - 2017 Live Tour Discussion - SPOILERS

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I feel like i opened a can of worms here (my bad)

Back on topic, does anyone have a song not from the NIN catalog/not played live they'd like to see live? I already mentioned i'd love to see A Minute to Breathe on these shows ...not that i'll be able to SEE any of the show's.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    In a time of uncertainty across the globe, it's still nice to rely on the fact that Krazy is still being a cunt.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    In a time of uncertainty across the globe, it's still nice to rely on the fact that Krazy is still being a cunt.
    Nice job on the name calling. Sorry the people you wish were in office aren't, don't have to piss and moan and scream about it it and pretend the like the current administration invented things such as bigotry.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    "Something has not yet negatively impacted my life, therefore, it is not an issue."

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Nice job on the name calling.
    Nice job on proving that you can give it but not take it.

Sorry the people you wish were in office aren't, don't have to piss and moan and scream about it it and pretend the like the current administration invented things such as bigotry.
    Please. It's nothing to do with my dislike of the Trump administration - they're a shower of intolerant bigots, but I'm in another continent so it doesn't affect me as much - it's more to do with the fact that so many of your posts are just you being an inconsiderate dickhead to other posters and then screeching when you get called out on it.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Nice job on proving that you can give it but not take it.
    I don't recall ever calling someone names in this thread or getting hostile, but read into whatever as you wish

I'm done here. Enjoy your zombie apocalypse everyone, and remember to stock up on ammo!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is there a chance we could get back on topic?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    This would be the perfect time for a surprise show/tour announcement to drop

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Nine Inch Nails - 2017 Live Tour Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    Is there a chance we could get back on topic?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If you would like to discuss the current presidential administration, we have a thread for that here: Trump 2017: Year Zero
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...2017-Year-Zero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I feel like i opened a can of worms here (my bad)

Back on topic, does anyone have a song not from the NIN catalog/not played live they'd like to see live? I already mentioned i'd love to see A Minute to Breathe on these shows ...not that i'll be able to SEE any of the show's.
    I'll jump on that.
    I think it would be really cool to hear Leaving Hope, Zero Sum, and then also Branches/Bones and The Idea of You. The last two will almost certainly be played; some cuts from still wouldn't surprise me considering the artwork from NTAE, and a live Zero Sum would be a fresh take on YZ

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    "In Motion" from the Social Network soundtrack.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm really surprised to hear how daring people seem to expect these setlists to be -- they're festival dates. NIN has never been particularly ballsy at festival dates with their setlists, save for shows where Trent's pissed at the organizer or the 09 shows, and that touring cycle was a total anomaly for the band, for obvious reasons.

I'm expecting it to be close to the 2013 fests, since that's the latest US festival run we have to compare to -- there'll be a handful of deeper cuts and surprises (in 2013 they did I'm Afraid of Americans, Burn, The Way Out Is Through, Sanctified, Help Me I'm In Hell, Me I'm Not, The Warning, Somewhat Damaged and What If We Could? at various festival dates, many of those staples, which are all fairly anti-festival songs), a handful of new tracks (they did Find My Way, Came Back Haunted and Disappointed very reliably and I think we'll likely see Branches/Bones, Dear World and The Idea of You), and a lot of the old standards.

If the production really is stripped down and the setlists are wide open, then who the fuck knows what will happen, but I doubt that'll be the case -- the thought of NIN doing festivals with basic rigging on only a handful of tour dates sounds very contrary to Trent's typical approach and would feel somewhat pointless. These aren't the crowds that are filled to the brim with people like us who masturbate to the Deviations tracklist and argue about whether or not the Japanese CD of The Downward Spiral sounds different compared to the standard US release from 1994 and then compare them both to SACD releases for good measure, and Trent knows that. The only instance we have of him deciding to say "fuck it" to that audience at festivals was when he thought the band was on its final tour and that was a special instance, and since then, in 2014 when he suggested that the Soundgarden tour might be the last, we got the stalest and least-interesting setlists from the band in ... well, a very, very long time, and those were coheadlining shows.

The idea that songs like Leaving Hope and A Minute to Breathe are going to get played at these crowds is hard to get on board with for me. If Trent wanted to play Zero-Sum I can't imagine that he'd think the best place to do that would be at shows filled with rich college kids rolling on cocktails of junk amphetamines and ecstasy along with 30-somethings who have been pounding out eight dollar Bud Lights all goddamn day and pre-gamed with flasks of cheap tequila and lukewarm convenience store mixers. If he wanted to do some seriously stripped down, all-over-the-place shows for the fun of it then he'd probably just have done a small and dedicated run of headlining club shows and left it at that. I'm all for being proven wrong here, but even then -- some songs just don't work in a large audience area. Hell, the Tension tour did A Warm Place and I expected that to be an enormous stand-out for me, but it wasn't, and not because it wasn't beautiful, but because you had several thousand people taking it as a cue to go buy over-priced nachos and take a piss or chat about their Halloween costumes.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 05-11-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    They apparently played Hand Covers Bruise at Lollapalooza in 2014, I'd like to see that or Pieces Form the Whole (my favorite from The Social Network). Of course, there's always my dream of being at the show where they finally decide to pull out The Perfect Drug, but we all know that won't happen. If they didn't play TPD in 2009 during the Wave Goodbye tour, they probably never will. On a more realistic note, I'd LOVE to see The Idea of You and Branches/Bones from NTAE. I'd also really like to see Last, Physical, The Becoming, Ruiner, and Zero-Sum.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    The idea that songs like Leaving Hope and A Minute to Breathe are going to get played at these crowds is hard to get on board with for me. If Trent wanted to play Zero-Sum I can't imagine that he'd think the best place to do that would be at shows filled with rich college kids rolling on cocktails of junk amphetamines and ecstasy along with 30-somethings who have been pounding out eight dollar Bud Lights all goddamn day and pre-gamed with flasks of cheap tequila and lukewarm convenience store mixers. If he wanted to do some seriously stripped down, all-over-the-place shows for the fun of it then he'd probably just have done a small and dedicated run of headlining club shows and left it at that. I'm all for being proven wrong here, but even then -- some songs just don't work in a large audience area.
    I agree with you and think you're right for the most part (especially about how some songs just don't work well in this kind of environment), but Trent also doesn't seem like he gives too many fucks about pleasing the casual/fair-weather fans either. I mean, of course they'll play Closer, Head Like a Hole, The Hand That Feeds, and Hurt, but I wouldn't be surprised if they dusted off a song that hasn't been played in a long time, re-imagined an older song (much like the 2013 version of Sanctified), or even toss in one of the songs from their scores (like Hand Covers Bruise or What if We Could?). I imagine that playing the same stuff over and over gets a little boring and if they're only playing three shows this year, that seems to me like it would allow them more freedom to vary the setlist for these shows. I doubt they will have some big elaborate stage production like Lights in the Sky or Tension for these 3 festivals and that was the reason for the relatively rigid setlists on those tours. But MAYBE the fact that there are only 3 shows means each one can be that much more special and unique. Just my $0.02.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    maybe TR will be so mad that he couldn't sell out Sunday FYF single day tix, he'll rage out on us. One can only hope....

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I fail to see why he'd do festivals if he wants to just do a small handful of individually unique shows. He openly hates them, has bitched a ton about them in the past and it's the definition of the crowd he doesn't like to cater to. It's part of why I doubt these are really the only upcoming dates.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I fail to see why he'd do festivals if he wants to just do a small handful of individually unique shows
    $$$$$$$$?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I fail to see why he'd do festivals if he wants to just do a small handful of individually unique shows. He openly hates them, has bitched a ton about them in the past and it's the definition of the crowd he doesn't like to cater to. It's part of why I doubt these are really the only upcoming dates.
    Festival dates pay for everything - many bands talk about hating fests, but that they pay for the entire album production cost, tour setup etc

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I understand, my entire point is that if it were for the purpose of doing unique one-offs it would be odd -- if it's to hype up and fund a future tour and album that's a different story.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Maybe NIN's touring schedule is going the way of Tool's where they scale it back to a handful of shows a year or little mini tours so he can spend more time with other projects (film scores, HTDA, recording new NIN, working at Apple...) and his family. I hope I'm wrong because I'm selfish and want to see NIN many, many more times, but he IS in his 50s and he does have four children to raise and a wife. Then again, college for four kids is going to be expensive. I guess my point is that I feel like they're just playing a few shows this summer to keep from getting too rusty and a full-scale tour will happen next year following a new album, which will hopefully come out within the next year.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The thought of anything involving NIN live becoming like Tool scares the shit out of me on principle alone

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    maybe TR will be so mad that he couldn't sell out Sunday FYF single day tix, he'll rage out on us. One can only hope....
    I'd go see NIN and I would like to see Atticus with the band, but I fucking hate festival shows, if it was NIN at the Hollywood Bowl I'd definitely be there and Bjork is playing FYF on another night, I just hate festival shows. I have seen NIN over ten times and I am sure at some point they will tour so I can hold out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The thought of anything involving NIN live becoming like Tool scares the shit out of me on principle alone
    So basically the NIN/Soundgarden tour, with $500 presale tix.

I'd go see NIN and I would like to see Atticus with the band, but I fucking hate festival shows, if it was NIN at the Hollywood Bowl I'd definitely be there and Bjork is playing FYF on another night, I just hate festival shows. I have seen NIN over ten times and I am sure at some point they will tour so I can hold out.
    This will actually be my first NIN festival show. I'll probably hate it less because the FYF venue is fucking amazing. And hey, NIN is NIN.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'll jump on that.
    I think it would be really cool to hear Leaving Hope, Zero Sum, and then also Branches/Bones and The Idea of You. The last two will almost certainly be played; some cuts from still wouldn't surprise me considering the artwork from NTAE, and a live Zero Sum would be a fresh take on YZ
    What i'd give to see Leaving Hope live!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Meathead ruined that song for me

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    So basically the NIN/Soundgarden tour, with $500 presale tix.
    UGh. That tour pissed me off. I wish they would have had GA on the floor during that tour.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    . I'll probably hate it less because the FYF venue is fucking amazing.
    Whats the deal with the FYF grounds layout? It's still in a park and stuff, correct?...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Whats the deal with the FYF grounds layout? It's still in a park and stuff, correct?...

ah good point, I haven't been to that venue since the Sports Arena was still a thing.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Anyone think any of the "unreleased" Fragile Deviations instrumental cuts will be played live at any of these shows?

I'm personally hoping for "Was it Worth it"

Would be cool if one of the ones with lyrics taken out were played with the lyrics in place. But that's probably asking for WAY too much.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 05-18-2017 at 03:19 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Anyone think any of the "unreleased" Fragile Deviations instrumental cuts will be played live at any of these shows?

I'm personally hoping for "Was it Worth it"

Would be cool if one of the ones with lyrics taken out were played with the lyrics in place. But that's probably asking for WAY too much.
    As much as i'd love to hear a version of Was it worth it, i think those songs are extra deep cuts just for the die hards. Maybe they'd get a run out or used in an interlude on a NIN tour, but probably not a festival date.

I have been known to be wrong mind you