Page 26 of 122 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm mostly concerned about my parents. They're not in a good position to handle this thing.

I wanna punch that Florida beach dickhead so bad.
    Same. My in-laws go to Florida every March for 3 weeks for vacation, and then they come back to CT. My husband and his sisters are already planning on ways to get supplies for them so they don't have to go out when they come back. They're in their late 80's.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oregon state park camping will be suspended after April 2 in light of coronavirus outbreak

Is it better or worse that they're letting spring break go by for this ban? OR spring break is next week after all.

Plus I was going camping during the WA spring break - the week after, during the ban start - so this kind of fudges that up. I mean I was coming home on the 2nd anyway but I don't want to go and then have something happen while we're gone, you know?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98163-520743--,00.html

Michigan's reported figures have gone up over 4 times yesterday's amount to 336 now, the vast majority in and immediately around Detroit (shockingly apparently no cases in the U.P. yet). Broken down by age, anywhere from 30-70 is just as likely right now. It's a great time to be off work right now from back surgery, hoping fellow Michiganders are staying safe and taking precautions.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    A another day in London. Schools will close tomorrow, tube lines are being closed, people have been advised to work from home if they can...and my company STILL expects everyone in. It's full office...again. Only people that can work from home are those that have either been in contact with someone with the virus or are ill, everyone else has to be in even though we all can work from home...it's nuts!

...people are getting really angry, it makes it worse that both of the directors are now on annual leave...
    Exactly the same thing going on over here with mine in Vancouver, man. I feel ya.
    It's ludicrous. I don't drive, I take public transit to work and I'm not going to jeopardize my health for this. Some companies just aren't doing enough until it's too late.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    and there it is:

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I've had an interesting day. Did an hour long appointment with my rheumatologist via computer video. I see him every 8 weeks without fail & we had to cancel in house appointment this week. He was checking on my well being & we started making plans on how we are going to proceed with RA treatments. The current one wasn't working & we have stopped it. It is messing with my immune system though. If my virus test is negative, I will go in later next week. A few things that may interest some of you: Ibuprofen & virus don't mix. This may apply to other anti-inflammatories as well, especially ones with a steroid component. It is being studied & I've been taken off the one I use. We talked about me getting blood work & how that is a challenge if virus test positive. His comment was "you've read about leper colonies?". This doctor is a top guy in his field. I will take him at his word. He's kept me going for 10 years, which is a lot longer than the expectation was initially.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    We certainly picked a hell of a weird time to have a baby. My parents and sister are in self-isolation, luckily my partner's parents are not, and things are going pretty smoothly so far (*knocks on wood*... whoops, that was his forehead).
    Last edited by botley; 03-19-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    We certainly picked a hell of a weird time to have a baby. My parents and sister are in self-isolation, luckily my partner's parents are not, and things are going pretty smoothly so far (*knocks on wood*... whoops, that was his forehead).
    Nothing but the best to you!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    My ex works at a salon and one of her coworkers is showing symptoms of COVID-19 but they’re still making her come to work. The girl wrote about it on her FB and corporate told her manager she needs to get her under control. I’m thinking she should file a lawsuit. That is some downright careless disgusting bullshit.
    They've just closed their salon until April 30th at the least.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    They've just closed their salon until April 30th at the least.
    she should still talk to a lawyer. maybe everyone at the shop needs to be involved. & go big with the media coverage!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm mostly concerned about my parents. They're not in a good position to handle this thing.
    I’m keeping my mom quarantined in her condo, she does not leave except to take the trash to the garbage chute down the hall. When she does that, she uses the rubber gloves I gave her and she removes the gloves using the isopropyl wipes I gave her. She lets nobody but me into her condo.

When I go anywhere, I limit my trips or only my husband goes out. We are careful as to what touches our clothes and counters (which I constantly disinfect). Each time we come into the house, we remove our shoes at the door, and we remove and launder our clothes in warm water.

I picked up my mom’s laundry today, which I will launder at my house so she won’t have to utilize the condo laundry room.

I pick up her food and medicine for her and deliver them to her, directly, so she won’t have to leave her condo.

I also pick up and deliver items for her elderly neighbor and his cat.

When I visit mom, we do this sort of a side hug. My mom is really affectionate, she’s a “gimme a big hug!” mom; so this is a difficult time for her, but I don’t want the risk of killing her. She totally understands this.

Her elderly neighbor guy used to come over to her condo for coffee nearly every night and they’d eat windmill cookies. He calls me now to see how she’s doing because she doesn’t want anyone in her condo, not even him. Her neighbor is really lonely, now, so he calls me. His family doesn’t take care of him so I take him to the doctor and stuff. He calls me now to ask if it’s okay to do stuff, because I finally got him scared (he thought this virus was no big deal). “Can I go get my mail in the lobby?” (Edit: Tonight, he was relieved when I told him that I’d get his mail for him.)

My husband and I dropped off a box of blueberry muffins for him today. He wanted me to program some numbers into his phone for him, but I’m afraid to touch his phone.

They’re afraid of dying. I’m mostly afraid of running out of toilet paper. And them dying.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-19-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    All this hoarding is getting ridiculous. Some people are so selfish. I feel bad for the woman who couldn't find any diapers for her baby.
    The doctors I work with are planning to skype their patients. Most of our patients have cancelled their appointments. We haven't scheduled any new ones until May.
    Last edited by Boots; 03-19-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    she should still talk to a lawyer. maybe everyone at the shop needs to be involved. & go big with the media coverage!
    I'm fucking pissed with them. They are a billion dollar corporation and instead of offering relief to their employees, they've suggested they all go on unemployment.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My vet is doing drop-off appointments. You drive up, a vet meets you at the car, takes your pet inside, you wait in the car, the vet calls you on the phone from inside.

I opted not to do that, my cat had just been there for blood tests and she is being treated for senior-related anxiety. My vet CALLED me, instead, and we discussed meds and treatment (the cat is 18 and isn’t sleeping so she is keeping ME awake all night). I told vet to bill me, I’d be happy to pay. She said no, no problem, these are weird times, we’re just rolling with it.

I’ve had to message my primary and my neurologist about my migraine meds, I couldn’t see them now if I tried (nobody is taking appointments). Luckily, my healthcare system has a good electronic messaging system.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-19-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    more people need to see these type of videos. share these with anyone you know who is still in denial/ignorant about this stuff:

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I’m keeping my mom quarantined in her condo, she does not leave except to take the trash to the garbage chute down the hall. When she does that, she uses the rubber gloves I gave her and she removes the gloves using the isopropyl wipes I gave her. She lets nobody but me into her condo.

When I go anywhere, I limit my trips or only my husband goes out. We are careful as to what touches our clothes and counters (which I constantly disinfect). Each time we come into the house, we remove our shoes at the door, and we remove and launder our clothes in warm water.

I picked up my mom’s laundry today, which I will laundry at my house so she won’t have to utilize the condo laundry room.

I pick up her food and medicine for her and deliver them to her, directly, so she won’t have to leave her condo.

I also pick up and deliver items for her elderly neighbor and his cat.

When I visit mom, we do this sort of a side hug. My mom is really affectionate, she’s a “gimme a big hug!” mom; so this is a difficult time for her, but I don’t want the risk of killing her. She totally understands this.

Her elderly neighbor guy used to come over to her condo for coffee nearly every night and they’d eat windmill cookies. He calls me now to see how she’s doing because she doesn’t want anyone in her condo, not even him. Her neighbor is really lonely, now, so he calls me. His family doesn’t take care of him so I take him to the doctor and stuff. He calls me now to ask if it’s okay to do stuff, because I finally got him scared (he thought this virus was no big deal). “Can I go get my mail in the lobby?”

My husband and I dropped off a box of blueberry muffins for him today. He wanted me to program some numbers into his phone for him, but I’m afraid to touch his phone.

They’re afraid of dying. I’m mostly afraid of running out of toilet paper. And them dying.
    My landlord lives upstairs & is basically a shut in now. Has an issue, is 65ish & can't drive anymore. His stepson lives on another floor & can't be trusted to do anything that doesn't benefit himself. His daughter (my goddaughter) doesn't live super close & doesn't drive so I'm helping her out too. Even though I'm high risk, I went out early this morning & got him & myself some groceries. I am doing the shelter in place thing & have been past few weeks. Doc said is ok pending my test results early next week. Wore a mask & gloves. My main grocery store is opening an hour early for seniors & high risk people. I usually go when crowds are low but is good of them to formally put that in place. More than the local Whole Foods is doing. They decreased their hours & don't even open until 9:00 AM now. Clearly the Amazon corporate BS has entered the picture. Don't realize or care that most people work or get up earlier than that. & when you go in, they still don't have stuff stocked (even before crisis). Too busy having morning group hug meeting. Anyway, good on you for taking care of your mom & her neighbor. I would if my parents were still alive.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My grocery stores are doing deliveries so I can use that to deliver supplies to them if I have to, too.

We can all remember that Anne Frank lived in a tiny attic for four years.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-19-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) reported the first sale of stock jointly owned by her and her husband on Jan. 24, the very day that her committee, the Senate Health Committee, hosted a private, all-senators briefing from administration officials, including the CDC director and Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institutes of Health of the United States, on the coronavirus.

“Appreciate today’s briefing from the President’s top health officials on the novel coronavirus outbreak,” she tweeted about the briefing at the time.

That first transaction was a sale of stock in the company Resideo Technologies worth between $50,001 and $100,000. The company’s stock price has fallen by more than half since then, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average overall has shed approximately 10,000 points, dropping about a third of its value.
    Hm.

It was the first of 29 stock transactions that Loeffler and her husband made through mid-February, all but two of which were sales. One of Loeffler’s two purchases was stock worth between $100,000 and $250,000 in Citrix, a technology company that offers teleworking software and which has seen a small bump in its stock price since Loeffler bought in as a result of coronavirus-induced market turmoil.
    Hm.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-ke...virus-briefing
    Burn them all. fucking hypocrites.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ.

I mean, everyone knows what insider trading is, but isn't this much worse than that? Did they not deliberately withhold information from the public knowing FULL WELL that a number of people were going to get sick and die just so that they could profiteer?

I am legitimately shaken by this. Holy shit.
    Last edited by Aladdinsanity; 03-19-2020 at 09:24 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

*checks calendar*

No, not April just yet.

*looks outside*

no snow either so Hell's doing ok...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    This is a really good article from the Dr that helped defeat smallpox.

One of the questions brought up is, how will we know when we've made it though?

his answer is: "we begin to see large numbers of people—in particular nurses, home health care providers, doctors, policemen, firemen, and teachers who have had the disease—are immune, and we have tested them to know that they are not infectious any longer. And we have a system that identifies them, either a concert wristband or a card with their photograph and some kind of a stamp on it. Then we can be comfortable sending our children back to school, because we know the teacher is not infectious"

which is kind of a good point, anyone that has gone through the disease should get a marker or a tattoo on their wrist or something to show they have immunity.
    That way those people can start going back to their day to day lives. And when there is a vaccine available, the rest of us can get it and get the tattoo to show we've had the vaccine or something.
    Just a thought that came to mind.

Good article none the less. Worth a read.

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavi...sBPsbjbdwjFFXk

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I have my pitchfork ready for these motherfuckers. Roast 'em.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I am loving Arnies tweets in these times

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Another day in London...my company is going ahead with it's plan for half in half at home rotation from next week (which doesn't help as the office will still be half full, that's not how containment works you twats!) but whatever, and my granddad's funeral is going ahead...only 7 of us will be able to attend...like it couldn't get depressing enough!

But don't worry, our PM has told to embrace the good old British spirit and send the virus packing...i've never wanted to punch someone more, fucking embarrassing cunt of a human!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    But don't worry, our PM has told to embrace the good old British spirit and send the virus packing...i've never wanted to punch someone more, fucking embarrassing cunt of a human!
    That reminds me of something I watched on Youtube the other day. Guy from Australia called "Ozzy man reviews" usually has a voice over of viral clips just talking utter nonsense.
    He had a bit in his recent video about the Australian PM saying "we will beat this virus by doing what we do best, being Australian!" And ozzy man just riffed on it being like... "So what about people in Britain, should we tell them all they need to do to win is be Australian? from Sigapore? Don't worry, just be more Australian!" It's kind of funny, lol.

3:30 in the below video for anyone curious about the clip:

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Work Update: So i've vented a bit on here about how we're not able to work from home even though we can, well we've been told why...BANDWIDTH! Or to be more exact, they aren't sure the network will be able to handle all of us. So the solution is we're being split into 2 teams across the whole building, Team A will be in next week while Team B will be at home. IT will then monitor the network to iron out issues. Then the week after Team A will work from home as well as some of Team B to further stress test it. They are hoping we'll all be (where applicable) working from home in 3-4 weeks...

London will be closed before that! The speed of which they've put this together is so PAINFULLY woeful. Companies around the country had already been putting this stuff through the ringer WEEKS ago, we're about to enter the peak of the virus and haven't even STARTED THE STRESS TEST?!

FUCKING CHRIST ON A BIKE!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    55% of Americans approve of Trump's handeling of the Coronavirus.

I'm having a really hard time understanding this.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-20-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This has impacted my wife directly in terms of work so I found this article pretty harrowing, albeit interesting. A quick read but worth it.

'The Amazonification of The Planet'

https://onezero.medium.com/coronavirus-is-speeding-up-the-amazonification-of-the-planet-21cb20d16372