Thread: Trump 2020-21 - Epilogue

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The blame for him being there?

AMERICAN VOTERS.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Poking fun at possible handicap / disability or playing armchair psychiatrist re mental health (using terms like "narcissist" or "crazy" or "bipolar" or "manic" etc.) = ableism.

Poking fun at anything else (dick size, clothing, inability to be President, lying, high heels, etc.) = Okay.
    Okay, I'm mostly following you, or at least the core concept. But for something like the armchair quarterback thing...he has done a lot to make many people (including medical professionals) question his neurological health. Is it completely out of bounds to even ask about that, especially given that we know he would not be honest with us if he was diagnosed with something? I can understand if this was an honest person of integrity we were talking about - someone who we could take at their word. Or do we have to just pretend that none of these behaviors are troubling because it might be inconsiderate to talk about them?

Also, is it wrong to hold POTUS to a higher standard of physical and mental fitness than most jobs? I know that reasonable accommodations are to be made wherever possible and I 100% support that. Someone in a wheelchair shouldn't be turned down for a desk job, for example, because their mobility does not effect their ability to do their job, but you wouldn't hire them for a job that requires running, climbing, etc in a time-sensitive field). But I would be lying if I said I didn't have reservations about someone with a severe (and especially if untreated) mental health condition being in charge of country- and world-wide life or death decisions.

I feel like I would take some amount of solace in knowing about these things though - like, imagine if Trump was bipolar. And he literally came out and said "I am bipolar, I take medication for it, I speak with people about it - it does not define me, and it does not control me". How fucking empowering and encouraging would it be for bipolar people everyone if the goddamn President of the United States owned up to that? I feel like that would be an absolutely groundbreaking moment.

Also...I'm not going to lie, I feel really confused about how we can actually refer to the president's behavior if so many terms are off-limits due to ableism concerns. POTUS goes off on some conspiracy theory rant about something, an we can't even say something as seemingly innocent as "wow, he's crazy" without insulting an entire community? What can we call that behavior? Words have power. I absolutely understand that. There's a reason I don't look at his speeches and go "oh my god, that man is retarded". Even just typing it as an example made me cringe. I just can't keep track of where the etymological line is drawn between "this is an acceptable description of someone's behavior" and "this is an offensive and derogatory term". Sometimes it feels like you literally can't criticize someone for something that really deserves to be criticized. Meanwhile, it's totally socially acceptable to make fun of the size of his cock - something that could not be any less important or relevant to his ability to fulfill his oath of office.

Again, love you all. I hope this doesn't sound like me calling anyone out or something. It's just very hard to wrap my head around things sometimes. I am not the best in the world at picking up on social cues (and definitely not good at holding convos in real life).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does he actually do any work? Constantly tweeting.

Side note: I didn't read the post above my comment before posting, sorry once again

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    that Kayleigh lady is horrible. defending the use of "kung flu" as not racist multiple times over, among other terrible things in today's presser.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Why is she constantly flipping through a book at press conferences? That shit is weird and annoying.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Why is she constantly flipping through a book at press conferences? That shit is weird and annoying.
    it's so annoying. she can't speak without looking up her answers first. is she in 6th grade or something?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I know that someone in that position has a lot of lies information they have keep in order, and I know people who have a reference sheet for specific numbers, but I can't remember ever seeing someone do it to the extent she does it. It's virtually every question.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I know that someone in that position has a lot of lies information they have keep in order, and I know people who have a reference sheet for specific numbers, but I can't remember ever seeing someone do it to the extent she does it. It's virtually every question.
    It’s a prop.

So she doesn’t have to look at the journalists in front of her, while she’s lying and humiliating herself.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    It’s a prop.

So she doesn’t have to look at the journalists in front of her, while she’s lying and humiliating herself.
    Might be part that, part reference for talking points... like when she looked up and started quoting "YOUR news organization called it the Chinese Coronavirus 23 times!" or some shit. She knows what she's going to be asked about, and there's gotta be "when they ask this, say this" lines in there for backup.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    The latter is what I’ve assumed; today was a pretty good example. Made me wonder what the page header was—was there a little Avery binder divider tab sheet marked “racist stuff,” or is that so broad that we’ve simply got a “Kung Flu” one?
    Lol this is a really good point.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Another Lincoln Project ad... They're turning these around quick. Lollllll

Pathetic that the Democratic party needs a bunch of Never Trump Republicans to do their heavy lifting. These ads are going viral & actually hitting in the way they hoped. DNC/Dem leadership/some PAC made up of actual Dems (and specifically NOT Biden...his campaign should stay away from messaging like this, at least for now) should have some sort of plan that incorporates eviscerating Trump just like this using his own playbook & playing by his rules. Biden should stay above the fray bc that's part of his brand, but the rest of us shouldn't. The stakes are too high. Go for the jugular bc this piece of shit needs to go. Republicans don't f around with their messaging & ads...and we got feckless Schumer & Pelosi playing paddycakes.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Last edited by allegro; 06-23-2020 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The point about poll numbers not being a cause for relief is absolutely valid.

Every poll leading up to the 2016 election showed a huge lead for Hillary and very little chance of Trump winning. I remember sitting down to watch what I expected to be Trump losing in a landslide and quickly losing my mind in horror as the exact opposite of that happened.

I won't be breathing any easier until he's gone.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    it's so annoying. she can't speak without looking up her answers first. is she in 6th grade or something?
    It's a reference sheet for talking points and lies.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Last edited by allegro; 06-23-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Last edited by allegro; 06-23-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

that is, uh, very similar to the tests I took a few months ago for my memory loss issues. Granted it's a much more condensed test as well considering what I did took several hours and it was a lot more detailed, but the word repetition and the number recall were the two that tripped me up the most.

and it's for, uh, Parkinson's?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    This Republican group is separate from the Lincoln Project
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive...155146283.html

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    This Republican group is separate from the Lincoln Project
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive...155146283.html
    That’s a BUNCH of high-profile Republicans voting for Biden. Wow. Just because Trump is so repugnant.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Well damn.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I mean..... holy shit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Question from the cheap seats: How is it that there were so many vacancies to be filled?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says
    The Trump administration has been deliberating for months about what to do about a stunning intelligence assessment.

WASHINGTON — American intelligence officials have concluded that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan — including targeting American troops — amid the peace talks to end the long-running war there, according to officials briefed on the matter.

The United States concluded months ago that the Russian unit, which has been linked to assassination attempts and other covert operations in Europe intended to destabilize the West or take revenge on turncoats, had covertly offered rewards for successful attacks last year.

Islamist militants, or armed criminal elements closely associated with them, are believed to have collected some bounty money, the officials said. Twenty Americans were killed in combat in Afghanistan in 2019, but it was not clear which killings were under suspicion.

The intelligence finding was briefed to President Trump, and the White House’s National Security Council discussed the problem at an interagency meeting in late March, the officials said. Officials developed a menu of potential options — starting with making a diplomatic complaint to Moscow and a demand that it stop, along with an escalating series of sanctions and other possible responses, but the White House has yet to authorize any step, the officials said.

An operation to incentivize the killing of American and other NATO troops would be a significant and provocative escalation of what American and Afghan officials have said is Russian support for the Taliban, and it would be the first time the Russian spy unit was known to have orchestrated attacks on Western troops.

Any involvement with the Taliban that resulted in the deaths of American troops would also be a huge escalation of Russia’s so-called hybrid war against the United States, a strategy of destabilizing adversaries through a combination of such tactics as cyberattacks, the spread of fake news and covert and deniable military operations.

The Kremlin had not been made aware of the accusations, said Dmitry Peskov, the press secretary for President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia. “If someone makes them, we’ll respond,” Mr. Peskov said. A Taliban spokesman did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Spokespeople at the National Security Council, the Pentagon, the State Department and the C.I.A. declined to comment.

The officials familiar with the intelligence did not explain the White House delay in deciding how to respond to the intelligence about Russia.

While some of his closest advisers, like Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, have counseled more hawkish policies toward Russia, Mr. Trump has adopted an accommodating stance toward Moscow.

At a summit in 2018 in Helsinki, Finland, Mr. Trump strongly suggested that he believed Mr. Putin’s denial that the Kremlin interfered in the 2016 presidential election, despite broad agreement within the American intelligence establishment that it did. Mr. Trump criticized a bill imposing sanctions on Russia when he signed it into law after Congress passed it by veto-proof majorities. And he has repeatedly made statements that undermined the NATO alliance as a bulwark against Russian aggression in Europe.

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the delicate intelligence and internal deliberations. They said the intelligence had been treated as a closely held secret, but the administration expanded briefings about it this week — including sharing information about it with the British government, whose forces are among those said to have been targeted.

The intelligence assessment is said to be based at least in part on interrogations of captured Afghan militants and criminals. The officials did not describe the mechanics of the Russian operation, such as how targets were picked or how money changed hands. It is also not clear whether Russian operatives had deployed inside Afghanistan or met with their Taliban counterparts elsewhere.

The revelations came into focus inside the Trump administration at a delicate and distracted time. Although officials collected the intelligence earlier in the year, the interagency meeting at the White House took place as the coronavirus pandemic was becoming a crisis and parts of the country were shutting down.

Moreover, as Mr. Trump seeks re-election in November, he wants to strike a peace deal with the Taliban to end the Afghanistan war.

Both American and Afghan officials have previously accused Russia of providing small arms and other support to the Taliban that amounts to destabilizing activity, although Russian government officials have dismissed such claims as “idle gossip” and baseless.

“We share some interests with Russia in Afghanistan, and clearly they’re acting to undermine our interests as well,” Gen. John W. Nicholson Jr., the commander of American forces in Afghanistan at the time, said in a 2018 interview with the BBC.

Though coalition troops suffered a spate of combat casualties last summer and early fall, only a few have since been killed. Four Americans were killed in combat in early 2020, but the Taliban have not attacked American positions since a February agreement.

American troops have also sharply reduced their movement outside military bases because of the coronavirus, reducing their exposure to attack.

While officials were said to be confident about the intelligence that Russian operatives offered and paid bounties to Afghan militants for killing Americans, they have greater uncertainty about how high in the Russian government the covert operation was authorized and what its aim may be.

Some officials have theorized that the Russians may be seeking revenge on NATO forces for a 2018 battle in Syria in which the American military killed several hundred pro-Syrian forces, including numerous Russian mercenaries, as they advanced on an American outpost. Officials have also suggested that the Russians may have been trying to derail peace talks to keep the United States bogged down in Afghanistan. But the motivation remains murky.

The officials briefed on the matter said the government had assessed the operation to be the handiwork of Unit 29155, an arm of Russia’s military intelligence agency, known widely as the G.R.U. The unit is linked to the March 2018 nerve agent poisoning in Salisbury, England, of Sergei Skripal, a former G.R.U. officer who had worked for British intelligence and then defected, and his daughter.

Western intelligence officials say the unit, which has operated for more than a decade, has been charged by the Kremlin with carrying out a campaign to destabilize the West through subversion, sabotage and assassination. In addition to the 2018 poisoning, the unit was behind an attempted coup in Montenegro in 2016 and the poisoning of an arms manufacturer in Bulgaria a year earlier.

American intelligence officials say the G.R.U. was at the center of Moscow’s covert efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election. In the months before that election, American officials say, two G.R.U. cyberunits, known as 26165 and 74455, hacked into Democratic Party servers and then used WikiLeaks to publish embarrassing internal communications.

In part because those efforts were aimed at helping tilt the election in Mr. Trump’s favor, his handling of issues related to Russia and Mr. Putin has come under particular scrutiny. The special counsel investigation found that the Trump campaign welcomed Russia’s intervention and expected to benefit from it, but found insufficient evidence to establish that his associates had engaged in any criminal conspiracy with Moscow.

Operations involving Unit 29155 tend to be much more violent than those involving the cyberunits. Its officers are often decorated military veterans with years of service, in some cases dating to the Soviet Union’s failed war in Afghanistan in the 1980s. Never before has the unit been accused of orchestrating attacks on Western soldiers, but officials briefed on its operations say it has been active in Afghanistan for many years.

Though Russia declared the Taliban a terrorist organization in 2003, relations between them have been warming in recent years. Taliban officials have traveled to Moscow for peace talks with other prominent Afghans, including the former president, Hamid Karzai. The talks have excluded representatives from the current Afghan government as well as anyone from the United States, and at times they have seemed to work at crosscurrents with American efforts to bring an end to the conflict.

The disclosure comes at a time when Mr. Trump has said he would invite Mr. Putin to an expanded meeting of the Group of 7 nations, but tensions between American and Russian militaries are running high.

In several recent episodes, in international territory and airspace from off the coast of Alaska to the Black and Mediterranean Seas, combat planes from each country have scrambled to intercept military aircraft from the other.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so, Trump actually re-tweeted a video where a Trump supporter yells out "white power"

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...ng-white-power

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Just watched Pence on Face the Nation. The word dullard comes to mind. He's as stupid as Trump just in a slightly different way.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    so, Trump actually re-tweeted a video where a Trump supporter yells out "white power"

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...ng-white-power
    That's quite a video. I really don't understand why Trump would re-tweet that as people are heard saying "fuck Trump."

"fuck Trump"
    "fuck Trump"

"Nasty language"

"Listen to your president if you want nasty language, idiot!" was the best part .

Those anti-Trump hecklers are pretty awesome.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 06-28-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The warped genius of Sacha Baron Cohen:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/...r-right-rally/