Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mars Volta

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Re-listened to Noctourniquet after many years and I enjoyed it a lot more than I used to. I had forgotten how catchy some of its hooks were; they were hidden inside my brain and immediately popped up now. My enjoyment back then was tainted by the fact that so many people had left the band by the time the album was out (seriously, Omar plays almost everything on that record). Though I still miss Ikey, I noticed many more interesting synth ideas by Omar this time around. My favorite will always be The Bedlam in Goliath for a number of reasons. Octahedron and De-Loused are excellent, Tremulant is great, Frances the Mute is a beast of a record that I still haven't fully deciphered, never got into Amputechture (though I love Asilos Magdalena and Viscera Eyes). Very curious to listen to Landscape Tantrums, which is up on Spotify now. And I'm tempted to give Amputechture another shot after all those years.
    Last edited by wizfan; 06-11-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    yeah, the vinyls are all pretty much 50% too expensive, but whatever, I just said fuck it and bought the new Deloused vinyl, Tremulant, Noctourniquet, Fances the Mute, and I'll need to cut down on how much weed I smoke for a bit I guess.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    yeah, the vinyls are all pretty much 50% too expensive, but whatever, I just said fuck it and bought the new Deloused vinyl, Tremulant, Noctourniquet, Fances the Mute, and I'll need to cut down on how much weed I smoke for a bit I guess.
    Praying for you to randomly get 5 copies of each release.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Ordered De-Loused. I've wanted that for a long time, so I'm justifying the $60 tag, especially since it's a double LP. It also seems to be remastered FOR vinyl, which could be hit or miss, but I'm happy to know the attention is there.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Looks like ORL Sargent House material is finally on streaming services

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    $400 is alot for just 6 records (i only ordered the LPs) but god damn I've been waiting for these for so long I don't even care

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    For some reason Cotopaxi (and most of Octahedron, really) had disappeared from my head, because I hadn't listened to it for almost a decade. So, I pressed play. Now I'm singing Cotopaxi all day for two days straight. Help.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    For some reason Cotopaxi (and most of Octahedron, really) had disappeared from my head, because I hadn't listened to it for almost a decade. So, I pressed play. Now I'm singing Cotopaxi all day for two days straight. Help.
    Listen to Amputechture again. Day of the Baphomets...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    01. Frances The Mute
    02. Amputechture
    03. De-Loused In The Comatorium
    04. The Bedlam In Goliath
    05. Octahedron
    06. Noctourniquet

Sorry, not sorry. I honestly feel like I listen to Bedlam more than Comatorium, even...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    1. De-Loused In The Comatorium
    2. Frances The Mute

3. Amputechture
    4. The Bedlam In Goliath
    5. Noctourniquet
    6. Octahedron

But, it's been ages since i listened to the last 3 albums, this might change...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    octahedron
    de-loused
    amputecthture
    bedlam
    frances

noctourniquet

FIGHT ME

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I think noctournaquet has aged very gracefully compared to almost anything else on their discography. It's very well done and very earnest. I revisit it more than any other Volta album, all though I come back to the orl solo stuff the most.

I'm surprised not to see much love for Bedlam on this thread. I think it's one of their best, it's very cohesive and ambitious and very large.

It's hard for me to make a list of these albums. Also, the sound on all of these is so muddy! I hope they get a proper remaster some day, it's pretty bad. Special shout out to Tremulant EP for being perfect. Octahedron stands out as the worst to me, the only thing especially great being the line "the solution inhaled from the rag I hold holds a maximum vacancy."

Deloused
    Bedlam
    Frances
    Noctournaquet
    Amputechture
    Octahedron

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I think noctournaquet has aged very gracefully compared to almost anything else on their discography. It's very well done and very earnest. I revisit it more than any other Volta album, all though I come back to the orl solo stuff the most.

I'm surprised not to see much love for Bedlam on this thread. I think it's one of their best, it's very cohesive and ambitious and very large.

It's hard for me to make a list of these albums. Also, the sound on all of these is so muddy! I hope they get a proper remaster some day, it's pretty bad. Special shout out to Tremulant EP for being perfect. Octahedron stands out as the worst to me, the only thing especially great being the line "the solution inhaled from the rag I hold holds a maximum vacancy."

Deloused
    Bedlam
    Frances
    Noctournaquet
    Amputechture
    Octahedron
    I agree with this list. And about Bedlam…it’s easily my favorite album of their and the most fun to listen to. But Deloused is definitely the best

shame I spent all the money I did on these albums if they sound that muddy. Oh well what’s done is done

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    why does nobody mention the Tremulant EP? That's probably my favorite thing they've done. I get that it's a little shorter than some of their other music, but it's its own thing, and I think it's awesome and the vinyl just showed up today.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Reposting my comment from Fantano's TMV tier list:

S: Bedlam, Frances
    A: De-Loused, Octahedron
    B: Noctourniquet (I hate its production so much that I almost gave it a D, but damn if it doesn't have some of the catchiest hooks in their discography)
    C: Amputechture (I promised @rampface that I'll listen to it again, so maybe I'll end up changing it to an A or S, idk)

I'm not putting Tremulant EP anywhere because it's 30% songs and 70% Omar and/or Ikey fucking around with stock Yamaha keyboard sounds. Therefore, it's above an S. In fact, it is the greatest release in music history, and putting it in any tier list wouldn't do it justice.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I'm not putting Tremulant EP anywhere because it's 30% songs and 70% Omar and/or Ikey fucking around with stock Yamaha keyboard sounds. Therefore, it's above an S. In fact, it is the greatest release in music history, and putting it in any tier list wouldn't do it justice.
    It's beautifully clueless and powerful af

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I love Tremulant. Every second of it. Beep-boops included. It took me a while to get here, though.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Dude there's like 2 minutes of fuckery on Tremulant

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    fuckery > music

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So I just got my copy of Amputechture and gave it a spin - enjoyed it way more than I did last time I listened to it a decade ago. Especially enjoyed the locked grooves at the end of side A and D, B and C not so much.

Regardless, much better album than I gave it credit for in retrospect. Autistic child or not. Also super excited for Bedlam in Goliath, which was my favorite back then and I've listended to alot since!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Seems like there's some new music imminent, TMV social media posted some coordinates that I guess lead to some fancy box where people can sit one at a time and listen to a new song. First impressions of the song on Reddit don't exactly hype me, but I'm curious to hear what they come out with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    From what I've been able to hear it sounded like a continuation of Noctourniquet, but with the spacey vibes replaced with latin vibes. I'm excited to hear what more they'll be able to bring, but I don't expect an extravaganza in the vein of the first four albums.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Courtesy of Reddit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The line-up of this iteration of TMV in addition to ORL and CBZ reportedly are:
    - Marcel Rodriguez-Lopez: keys
    - Eva Gardner: bass
    - Willy Rodriguez-Quiñones: drums

I guess it was to be expected that Juan isn't returning. Cool that they could get Gardner back!
    Not familiar with the drummer, but him and ORL worked on latin pop album together before.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Lyrics from the Bandcamp page

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is such a good single, imo. It makes me so excited for the album... or... whatever it's a part of??

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I enjoyed the song itself, it's got a great groove, but it seemed like all the other tribal drum stuff wasn't really related to the song. I kept waiting for the song to kick back in and it just didn't.

That said, I'm still very excited that they're back and working on new material!