Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mars Volta

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Isiaiah Ikey Owens, former keyboardist was found dead in Mexico during the Jack White tour. Another sad day for music.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/1...ead-in-mexico/

wtf, noo

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Post a picture of the vinyl itself!

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    just got my 180g blue/white marbled amputechture in the mail! #0414/1250

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Also, I'm completely heartbroken by the news of Ikey. He's been one of my favorite keyboardists both in his work with Volta and Jack White. RIP.

Listening to Deloused in his honor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Guy was amazing..

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Post a picture of the vinyl itself!
    a picture of the blue/white amputechture vinyl, as requested, and also featuring my Animal (the muppet) slippers.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Drugs and alcohol were found in his room but only marijuana was found in his system. He had a heart attack that was the cause of his death.

http://lbpost.com/news/2000004635-lo...due-to-passing

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've just listened to the debut album for the first time in a few years. Such a brilliant piece of work, so colourful and vibrant. I love the new Antemasque record but I hope it's a gateway for these producing under this umbrella again. Only seen Mars Volta once and I would love to do it again.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I would love to catch Antemasque on tour since I enjoy their debut album a lot. But I don't want to die without watching TMV play. That would be so perfect.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finally found an affordable* copy of Frances The Mute on vinyl through discogs. the price still hurt a bit, but at least i'll finally own it. : /

*$100 in NM condition. the cheapest i had seen previously was $130 for VG condition. seller also paid for shipping, which was very kind.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    it came! it finally came!

the mars volta - frances the mute
    3xLP with etched side F
    <3 <3 <3

not quite as NM as the seller described, but still in pretty good shape.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I love Frances the Mute and it's such a nice piece of vinyl.

Getting to see "Cassandra the Gemini" in concert on that tour was one of the most epic things I've ever witnessed.

I miss the Mars Volta...sigh.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I fucking saw one of those for real in front of my face for $80 when a local independent opened up last year. Should have pulled the trigger. Now it's gone.

They had YZ too. Bastards.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I fucking saw one of those for real in front of my face for $80 when a local independent opened up last year. Should have pulled the trigger. Now it's gone.

They had YZ too. Bastards.
    This?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-MARS-VOL...-/262464738406

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post

This looks to be a bootleg or an unofficial release. I wouldn't buy this

quoted from the auction "THE MARS VOLTA - FRANCES THE MUTE(Unofficial)"
    Last edited by Rdm; 07-08-2016 at 02:42 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    This looks to be a bootleg or an unofficial release. I wouldn't buy this

quoted from the auction "THE MARS VOLTA - FRANCES THE MUTE(Unofficial)"
    Perhaps that was the point (that it's a bootleg).

However, it was $80 CAD. And I had no way to verify it wasn't a boot. Could very well be. However, another indie shop in this city gladly gave me like $20 for my Heligoland mint LP and sold it for $50, so I'd hardly put it beyond the store I saw Frances to price it much lower than what it's actually worth.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    In-depth new interview with Omar on Rolling Stone.

The pertinent TMV-related tidbit:

You mentioned Mars Volta earlier in your list of projects you'd like to revive. Do you have plans to put out another Volta album eventually?
    At some point, we'd love to do [Mars Volta] again too, you know what I mean? There's so much to do there as well. Obviously now we're focused on At the Drive-In and making this record great and touring. Jon Theodore is doing Queens of the Stone Age right now. There are only four surviving members of the real Mars Volta, which is Eva Gardner, the original bass player who gave us all our soul but unfortunately had to leave the band because her father died on the second tour; Ikey Owens, who, of course, isn't with us anymore; Jeremy Ward, who isn't with us anymore; and Jon Theodore. Jon and Eva are still alive, and we're so grateful for that. And any true fan of the band knows that's the real chemistry right there. Whenever we get to that time, we hope that it all lines up with whatever Jon's doing and whatever Eva's doing, because she's been touring with Gwen Stefani. I just have a feeling it will. Life has a funny way of working out that way.

So...someday? I'll take it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So, any fans of the new ORL solos? Loving the new Blind Worms Pious Swine, haven't really tried the 2 others (yet).

https://orlprojects.bandcamp.com/

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    In-depth new interview with Omar on Rolling Stone.

The pertinent TMV-related tidbit:

You mentioned Mars Volta earlier in your list of projects you'd like to revive. Do you have plans to put out another Volta album eventually?
    At some point, we'd love to do [Mars Volta] again too, you know what I mean? There's so much to do there as well. Obviously now we're focused on At the Drive-In and making this record great and touring. Jon Theodore is doing Queens of the Stone Age right now. There are only four surviving members of the real Mars Volta, which is Eva Gardner, the original bass player who gave us all our soul but unfortunately had to leave the band because her father died on the second tour; Ikey Owens, who, of course, isn't with us anymore; Jeremy Ward, who isn't with us anymore; and Jon Theodore. Jon and Eva are still alive, and we're so grateful for that. And any true fan of the band knows that's the real chemistry right there. Whenever we get to that time, we hope that it all lines up with whatever Jon's doing and whatever Eva's doing, because she's been touring with Gwen Stefani. I just have a feeling it will. Life has a funny way of working out that way.

So...someday? I'll take it.

the shade on Juan Alderete is real. He was the Volta bassist for, oh, the entirety of the bands life just about, but let just act like he wasnt.... what?

new ORL stuff is great. as always. 12 albums this year is something else.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I have no idea where to post this:
    http://pitchfork.com/news/68747-crys...social_twitter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    In the Melvins thread!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I sure do miss this band.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I listened to all of "Cassandra Gemini" recently by coincidence. Such a killer track.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I listened to all of "Cassandra Gemini" recently by coincidence. Such a killer track.
    I’ve had them on shuffle the last hour. I forgot how much I loved “L’via”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Every TMV record rules. Just gave The Bedlam in Goliath a listen for the first time in ages, and it's gloriously energetic and crazy. Might be my top MV album just ahead of FTM and Amputechture.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    Every TMV record rules. Just gave The Bedlam in Goliath a listen for the first time in ages, and it's gloriously energetic and crazy. Might be my top MV album just ahead of FTM and Amputechture.
    agreed, except i just really don't like noctourniquet. it's...boring. putting out a boring album is the worst sin a band can make, in my opinion. i'd rather have a bad album than a boring album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I remember being really underwhelmed by that record and Octahedron when I listened to them for the first time. They took ages to grow on me, compared to the other albums. Now, I like how they both contain a more restrained approach to the band's sound. I'd love to hear what another MV album would be like!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    I remember being really underwhelmed by that record and Octahedron when I listened to them for the first time. They took ages to grow on me, compared to the other albums. Now, I like how they both contain a more restrained approach to the band's sound. I'd love to hear what another MV album would be like!
    oh, i LOVE octahedron. it may be my favorite of their albums, actually. it was anything but boring, which is why noctourniquet was so disappointing when it came out. oh well :/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Octahedron is my least favorite. Feels like a b-sides album. I still enjoy it but it's not the one I would go far if I'm in the mood for TMV. Frances and Bedlam are definitely the best. I like Noctourniquet more than most. The tracklist is bloated but I dig what they were going for.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    You guys heard Omar's cover of Ellie Goulding's 'Lights'?

It's kinda fucking awesome imo.