Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stand Up

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Stand Up

I've searched and searched, but could not find a thread about the art of standing in front of a bunch of people and telling jokes. So here goes...

I bloody love Louis CK (doesn't everyone?) and particularly his stand up shows over his TV show (still good though).

The first comedian I fell in love with was Eddie Izzard, and still love his early stuff, up to Dress to Kill. Lately I've been all about Stewart Lee, Richard Herring, Kevin Eldon, Doug Stanhope

I'm really into this trend lately of comedians putting out their own specials for $5 (thanks again Louie..) and have picked up Aziz Ansari and Rob Delany's downloads. Are there any more? I like both UK and US people, as long as they are.. well.. good! Share your comedy with me! (and everyone else)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    A friend showed me a Bill Burr stand up over the summer and that guy is fucking hilarious. He has 3 specials streaming on Netflix, they're all great.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I keep meaning to check out one of Bill's specials in their entirety. I really need to. I've seen bits and pieces of his act.

This one is really funny in particular:

Also, Louis is the best comedian alive. Period.

My absolute favorite Louis bit ever:

And finally, you can't mention standup without the awesome Patton Oswalt.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Steven Wright

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Note to self: check out more Kyle Kinane.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Let's get some classic Bill Hicks up in this piece:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    And some amazing George Carlin:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    And just for good measure, some Patton Oswalt:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So I just saw "Maria Bamford: The Special Special Special" and now I love her more than ever. It's dark as hell, reminds at times of Lynch's absurdist/surreal humor and it's all taped in her home with her parents as the only guests. This woman is a genius.

(the trailer sucks big time but here it is...)

Last edited by hobochic; 01-19-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    The only stuff I've seen of hers was her stuff in the Comedians of Comedy documentary. I wasn't too impressed, but I've heard so many really great things about her over the years that I'll have to give her another chance.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    The only stuff I've seen of hers was her stuff in the Comedians of Comedy documentary. I wasn't too impressed, but I've heard so many really great things about her over the years that I'll have to give her another chance.
    That was my only experience of her before as well (comedians of comedy), she's really something more than that. Try also to catch her interview with Marc Maron on WTF.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

George Carlin is the king of words

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Just got back from seeing Louis C.K. 5th row. It was pretty awesome. No opener, which was kind of weird, but no big deal. He did somewhere in the neighborhood of an hour and 20 minutes. Very funny. To say that he broached some taboo topics would be an understatement. I think it's safe to say he pushed the envelope in this special more than any he's done before.

Speaking of which, yeah, they were filming tonight's show for his HBO special in April. Well, all this weekend's shows. It was kind of cool. There was a camera guy just to the right of me and a camera on a crane just above and to the left of me. It'll be really interesting to watch the special and see how it looks on TV having been there. That's going to be strange.

But yeah. This is going to be a fantastic special. It wasn't my favorite hour of his, but it was pretty great. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that less than two hours ago Louis C.K. was standing 15 feet in front of me. Now as long as I get a chance to see Patton Oswalt at some point I can die happy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That reminds me, I need to book my Louis CK ticket tomorrow for the Stockholm show.

Other than that, here's a new documentary on Eddie Pepitone "The Bitter Buddha":

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Stand Up

Just watch a couple Bill Burr specials. Never seen him before. Love the New England accent. He was pretty spot on with men he grew up,with not allowing you to fell. That's exactly how those knuckleheads talk.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore: "The Frog and Peach"
    Absolute genius. Not exactly standup, more like sketch comedy, but still, genius.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Brody Stevens:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I was blown AWAY when he said that.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    For anybody that's getting into Bill Hicks for the first time, I'd definitely recommend Relentless and Revelations. The full shows are thankfully still available on YouTube.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Patrice had me laughing for days over this one:

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I can't believe that I almost entirely forgot to post Jim Jefferies here. I thought he was a riot, and he's the latest stand-up comedian I got into.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-25-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Resurrecting this thread because there will be a Holy Grail of George Carlin Material coming out soon. Something I never thought would ever happen.
    This is going to be amazing. I absolutely love George Carlin's stand-up and books.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I love Bill Burr. There's tons of great bits by him but his Philly rant stands out. Just vicious.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I highly recommend that you check out his Monday Morning Podcast it is just as hilarious as his stand-up.
    http://www.billburr.com/category/podcast

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    Resurrecting this thread because there will be a Holy Grail of George Carlin Material coming out soon. Something I never thought would ever happen.

This is going to be amazing. I absolutely love George Carlin's stand-up and books.
    The exact same day they are releasing a Sam Kinison 7-DVD / 3-CD box set

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I like some of Bill Burr's stuff but am not an overall fan of his point of view, which I'll chalk up to liberal guilt. I did enjoy him on Breaking Bad, and would like to see him do more dramatic stuff.

For me, nobody measures up to Carlin. Hicks came close, but of course his life was cut too short before he could have hit a real peak.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-23-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I like some of Bill Burr's stuff but am not an overall fan of his point of view, which I'll chalk up to liberal guilt.
    I don't know, that's actually why I find him funny. Just because I laugh doesn't mean I agree.