Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Radiohead

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    They really made identikit amazing, when I heard it live I really didn't like it all. Also have you guys heard the similarities in the numbers and exit music? It's not much but it's there.

I love the present tense, that performance on Latitudes was so heart breaking, you could literally see thom almost break. I like the new recording and I can't wait to see where they go from here with it.
    Last edited by Rdm; 05-11-2016 at 06:03 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This feels like Amnesiac and The King of Limbs had a weird, heartbroken little baby that learned how to speak from Jonny's film scores and it got loose from the emergency room during the delivery. Identikit is stunning stuff. Almost every song is gorgeous with some deeper well of sadness at the center of it. It's immediate and impacting without being in your face or one-note and manages to hit hard emotionally from the get go while still giving more away the more you dig in deep.

I don't feel like it's the kind of album where you can really see it in individual songs and I respect that they're still willing to make an album that seems wholly meant to be heard as just that even though that goes so far against the current norm. The new True Love Waits, played twenty-one years later, goes from what was an absolutely beautiful romantic song to an absolutely tragic and heart-wrenching one. Listening to the version of I Might Be Wrong up against this one is just unbelievable, it's getting to hear two entirely different points of view from the exact same person using the exact same words and it's amazing. Even if you don't know about Thom's relationship ending, if you can't hear it all over this thing then I don't know what to tell you. The whole thing sounds like a group of people processing various griefs in different ways, coming together and making something beautiful and reflective that goes far deeper inward than it does out and it's beautiful. It could've been harsh and ugly and instead it's just absolutely stunning, and it's far more impacting because of it.

I just hope all these lush and gorgeous strings don't get lost in translation live. The way all of these songs are pieced together is so lovely and delicate and I really hope it all finds the proper space in that setting.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    What are your guys favorite songs off here

My pitchfork score would be 8.5-9.0 = )

1.Decks Dark
    2.Identikit
    3.Ful Stop
    4 Daydreaming
    5.Present tense
    6.True love waits
    7.Burn the witch
    8.Tinker
    9.The number
    10.Glass eyes
    11.Desks Dark

it will probably change as time goes
    Last edited by Rdm; 05-11-2016 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post

1.Decks Dark
    2.Identikit
    3.Ful Stop
    4 Daydreaming
    5.Present tense
    6.True love waits
    7.Burn the witch
    8.Tinker
    9.The number
    10.Glass eyes
    11.Desks Dark

Well, they gave it a 9.1: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...n-shaped-pool/

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Okay, I'm officially back onboard the Radiohead train with this one.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1.Decks Dark
    2.Identikit
    3.Ful Stop
    4 Daydreaming
    5.Present tense
    6.True love waits
    7.Burn the witch
    8.Tinker
    9.The number
    10.Glass eyes
    11.Desks Dark

I assume by "Desks" Dark you meant "Desert Island Disc?"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    In the thralls of a new Radiohead album, I've been listening to their whole catalog, particularly their B-Sides. I'd like to call attention to these three "orphan" songs that were never on an album/single B-Side that are great and worth re-exploring. Sticking to streaming services you tend to forget about the things that fall between the song rights cracks.

"I Want None of This" - to me this sounds very HTTT-era but sounds like it could have just been a Thom solo song since it's just piano and voice

"Harry Patch (In Memory Of)" - this is one of the first songs where orchestral elements play the central role in the song and point strongly to the direction the band took with their latest release.

"These Are My Twisted Words" - love the guitars on this one. Remember when everyone thought this song was a teaser for a new EP called "Wall of Ice"? Good times...

I love all three of these songs and wish they got a little more love.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I assume by "Desks" Dark you meant "Desert Island Disc?"

Lol yeah, sorry about that
    Last edited by Rdm; 05-12-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I really cannot believe how True Love Waits has gone from one of my favorite love songs of all time that could make me well up and cry from the beauty of it to one of the saddest songs I have ever heard that makes me well up and cry from the poignancy of it. Hearing those same words through the same set of lungs 21 years later on the other side of the feelings that produced them, good god. Listening to the I Might Be Wrong version back to back with the Moon Shaped Pool version is -- well, it's fucking wrecking. This whole album is probably the prettiest and saddest they've ever made.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    a few of my friends who work at CoS started a Radiohead podcast called Radioheadz and most of the people who have listened to it really don't seem to understand that it's a joke.

episode one
    episode two

like, listen to five-ten minutes of either episode and tell me you think this is supposed to be serious.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It was never for sale, it was a free download, with Jonny even saying that "it belongs to everyone" when they posted it. Here's a link, I hope nobody minds since it was always a free track.

Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Does anybody know where I can get the download of "These Are My Twisted Words" at the Radiohead online store it shows its available but when you open it there isn't a button to click on and purchase it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I really cannot believe how True Love Waits has gone from one of my favorite love songs of all time that could make me well up and cry from the beauty of it to one of the saddest songs I have ever heard that makes me well up and cry from the poignancy of it. Hearing those same words through the same set of lungs 21 years later on the other side of the feelings that produced them, good god. Listening to the I Might Be Wrong version back to back with the Moon Shaped Pool version is -- well, it's fucking wrecking. This whole album is probably the prettiest and saddest they've ever made.
    I never thought of it as a love song personally... the lyrics are really tragic, almost to the point of absurdity (but they keep it reigned in just enough). "I'll drown my beliefs to have your babies. I'll dress like your niece and wash your swollen feet. Just don't leave. I'm not living. I'm just killing time." That is some bleak desperate sad stuff.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    like, listen to five-ten minutes of either episode and tell me you think this is supposed to be serious.
    I don't, but I can see how someone else would. CoS aggressively marketed their coverage of news relating to the new album on social media platforms with items like recurring Facebook ads, which in hushed tones promised all the best and most in-depth reporting available. But as with every other aggregating platform devoted to Radiohead, what they were actually doing was regurgitating and re-phrasing items already posted by the band's own official sources. In the meantime, while there was no news to report, I guess they worked on stuff like this podcast, which is for comedy value only and not serious news reporting. The promise of better news-delivery was utterly false; just compare the CoS coverage to what you could already be getting, often in the exact same timeline, from Radiohead's own Twitter and Facebook feeds. It was the same shit, repeated verbatim or with a few extra words of speculation, a few minutes later.

For example: Radiohead removes its existing social media posts, clearly presaging an announcement of some kind. Ten minutes later, articles appeared on numerous fan sites and music news sites, including CoS, basically saying just that. Radiohead announces their "Burn the Witch" single and video with a short link. Moments later, the fan sites and news sites did the exact same thing. Ditto for the next single/video. Ditto the album. This isn't a problem unique to Radiohead or CoS necessarily, it's endemic to the how Internet news reporting operates (i.e., as a total hot mess) right now. But CoS were falsely promising something more than what they were giving you. I'm not upset or surprised by any of this, and I'm not paying for CoS so I don't really care, but all I'm saying is if you went to their site expecting to get what they were promising, I can see how you would perhaps also be looking to a podcast like this for something other than what it actually delivers.

Again, this is not a bad thing from where I'm sitting, in fact Radiohead are relying on this kind of churn to get their message "trending" via these sites because all those copy-paste articles and click-bait headlines in the final count really do get their music in front of more people than a reliance on direct-to-fan announcements would. In another age, you'd need old-media saturation machines like EMI to do the same work. As the band itself proved in 2007, all you really need now is the classic bait-and-switch.
    Last edited by botley; 05-13-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Consequence of Sound always struck me as obnoxious. They never brought anything to the table beyond aggregating information without crediting their sources. There were some personalities in the mix who thought they could pull off the full-blast Brent DiCrescenzo era Pitchfork thing, an act which wasn't old enough to be abandoned and rediscovered, it was merely tired and played out. TBH, I stopped paying attention to CoS a few years ago. Some entity is obviously pouring money into it and dominating SEO and BuZzY marketing, but it's like reading Time magazine for your stock picks or something. You're better off just going to the original source.

And these days, it's not unusual for that original source to be the band itself. I started a news page about a group that was managed in a way that kept everything super cryptic, and you had to go hunting for details. There's still fringey stuff I can share on the Hotline (twitter account, because I still haven't changed hosting on the website), but any official news is, at best, a retweet of the official account.

Luckily I don't have any investors to answer to, no salaries or contracts to pay. CoS has to cough up some kind of bullshit to get eyeballs on ads, so they just end up cluttering the space with useless noise. Just like what I'm doing here in this Radiohead thread.

Listened to the album a lot more in the last week, it's really really good. Bummer to read about the personal stuff that Thom's going through, but as supplementary information, it helps to give context to what seems to me to be a more emotional and personal collection of songs than they've done in a while. I'm not really convinced they'll do it justice live - I've found I personally prefer their studio output to the concerts I've seen them put on, even when they're doing the songs I like best.

I almost pulled the trigger on the deluxe version, but I'm not in a good place for spending money right now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So I finally got the opportunity to give this a proper listen over the last couple of days. Wow. Incredibly sad sounding all the way through but much closer to the kind of Radiohead sound that I like. I've grown up with this band [first got into them around the time OK Computer was released, remember Paranoid Android charting quite high in the UK singles charts]. Personally I felt In Rainbows was their most "immediate" album since OK Computer [I absolutely love Kid A and Amnesiac but they weren't absolute hot favourites first time I listened to them], this is definitely now up there with In Rainbows for me. Fantastic stuff.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    so we got double drummers. now, pleeeeeeeeeeease tour with an orchestra. preferably London Contemporary Orch.....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So we totally got one of the 35mm reels for Daydreaming at my work and are running it before Captain America every night for the next week!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Quietus review of the album is out. And it's not kind.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I feel the same way as the reviewer. There are about 4 songs I want to hear again: Burn The Witch, Daydreaming, Decks Dark, True Love Waits

Lots of pretty stuff... just... vanilla imo

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    While I love the album, that Quietus review does sum up a lot of things that can be leveled at the LP. There is a tension between just being pretty and meaning something and if you arn't quite in tune then yeah, it quickly becomes dull.But yeah, in another way, the guy is also saying 'this is dull, where is the fire, tempo and anger' that characterized nearly every preceding album. Which is.. ehh.. you can level those complaints at any band who has had a career lasting over 15 years..True Love Waits breaks me, Daydreaming is devastating, and if I put the album on in the morning then it basically puts my whole day into a bleak existential crisis of 'whats the point.. I guess I'll listen to it again'.. Which exactly what I want from a Radiohead album.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Picked this up this morning...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I really wanted that. Of course I can't get it, unless I pay over 100, because I live in the states.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I really wanted that. Of course I can't get it, unless I pay over 100, because I live in the states.
    They are supposed to be releasing it internationally I think but I guess it'll be very limited quantities. I was going to get a second copy to give to someone else on here but my record store only got 5 copies for about 20 people who'd asked for it!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I guess I just found some pics from their rehearsal. Only one of them is actually relevant.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flyby...39450189563761

I imagine if this shit happened to a NIN gig. Heads would roll. (Oh wait it totally did happen, those audio tapes leaked. "At least turn some knobs while you're not playing any instruments")

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Hunter View Post
    They are supposed to be releasing it internationally I think but I guess it'll be very limited quantities. I was going to get a second copy to give to someone else on here but my record store only got 5 copies for about 20 people who'd asked for it!!

They're already up on Discogs for insane prices.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    They were on Friday night - my usual store messaged me and said he had none so I checked out of interest since my other nearest store is Rough Trade Nottingham and I figured my chances of getting it there were slim. They were at £80 then. My usual place then sent a message and said his record company rep had fucked up and he'd actually received 5 and he'd saved one for me. I paid £9. They are definitely still out there at the correct retail price, there are just some utter bastards trying to rip people off as well.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    man i'm really glad i checked amazon when i did because i got it through a third party seller for $17.99 + $3.99 shipping, and they sent it out yesterday morning.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    man i'm really glad i checked amazon when i did because i got it through a third party seller for $17.99 + $3.99 shipping, and they sent it out yesterday morning.
    My local record store guy told me he'd reported his delivery as damaged (he asked for 20 and got 5) and he reckoned the reps generally hold some stock back. I'm hoping he gets some more. If he does I'll post back here and try to get a couple.