Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone Girl (2014)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Good, blu-ray is over a decade old, we don't need BD/DVD bundles anymore. Ultraviolet is fine for those who don't upgrade

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Good, blu-ray is over a decade old, we don't need BD/DVD bundles anymore. Ultraviolet is fine for those who don't upgrade
    First a note, the 2nd version was listed as a "Digipak", not "Limited Edition". I guess I should have used the iPhone and iPad instead of relying on memory. The "slipcase" part is still true.

To your point, Mr. 'dean, I agree with you to a point. I personally buy Blu-ray 3D copies because they typically come with 3 physical versions of each movie, as well as 1-2 digital versions. That's my own personal preference, however, and is far from the way a typical consumer looks at homevideo (and multimedia overall) these days.

The Bootleg-style DVD fit with TGWTDT for obvious reasons.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Consumers would stick with VHS if the manufacturers didn't force them to upgrade :P

DVD isn't obsolete yet, but it's getting there, and relying on it too much is holding back BD development

Back on topic, anyone started digging through nullco site files or anything to see if we have any early uploads

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I, for one, would like to hear Mariqueen in a badass song in this soundtrack (and I know I'm not alone here). Or some other strong female vocalist in a non-instrumental track. Even though they are covers, I think some of the best Reznor tracks post The Fragile are Immigrant Song and Is Your Love Strong Enough? Can't get enough of those!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Blu ray will never replace DVD and nor is it designed to. I'd not be surprised if media-less digital kills bd before DVD. The price of bd-r is pegged artificially high which IMHO is hurting bd adoption.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    People still watch movies on discs?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Yes. I'm one of those that still watches films on DVD and I've managed to attain a pretty good collection so far.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    When I want high quality, I watch on disc. Streaming from YouTube/Netflix/Hulu means compression artifacts, limited color palette, limited audio options, and fewer bonus features. I bought "Planet Earth" on BluRay before I even had a BluRay player. I got the Alien Quadrilogy on BluRay when it was on sale for something absurd like $25. Same with the super duper mega Blade Runner release.

I still only use my BluRay player maybe three times a year, but it's there when I want it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

i love owning a physical product (and literally will not pay for a digital download of something unless that is my only option). also, discs usually come with a plethora of bonus features (audio commentary, gag reels, deleted scenes), whereas streaming services don't often offer those things. and yes, i could probably find those things on youtube (in really terrible quality), but i like owning all of them.

all that said, i totally understand the move to non-physical media. it makes sense for the majority of people. but it also makes me feel like a "get off my lawn" grandma.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Dragon Tattoo didn't make a whole lot of money. This should do better, having a bigger star, half the budget and the (more recent) weight of its huge book behind it; I still see piles of GG every time I go anywhere near an airport and it's currently #6 in the NYT Bestseller list after 90 fucking weeks. So the home release should be a bit more expansive than the Dragon Tattoo one, which looked amazing and yet wasn't replete with features, was it? But will TR and AR have much left to say? The Social Network soundtrack was pretty ground-breaking, this is just... soundtrack #3. I doubt Hans Zimmer has a special feature for all of his work.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    So the home release should be a bit more expansive than the Dragon Tattoo one, which looked amazing and yet wasn't replete with features, was it?
    There were quite a few bonus features actually.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Surely, you can post something better than that next time you reply in a thread, @butter_hole.

Not sure whats wrong with his statement. He simply expressed his love for the new music tease. Yes it was a tad…"unclean" (I'm sure worse has been said on this board) but as far as the statement not "giving" the topic anything…there's technically nothing to talk about besides liking the new music.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm sure ill get bitched out for questioning an admin but damn…when did this board get so strict?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So what's the general rule of thumb for soundtrack release? A week before or after the movie is released?
    Release date is October 3 so we should get more details about the soundtrack very soon I assume.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong and I'm sure ill get bitched out for questioning an admin but damn…when did this board get so strict?
    FFS. Please, show me where on ETS it is that people get bitched out for questioning admins - here, on a board with a forum dedicated specifically to questioning admins.

In my opinion, the post I quoted when chiding butter_hole is a fine example of why we have a "Like" button. You contribute as much to the conversation without taking up as much space. Anyhow, I'm getting off topic. If you'd like to follow up further, do please start a thread in Reports & Suggestions, and I promise we can have a constructive and open conversation on the topic. I'm always open to ideas about how we can improve the community.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    There were quite a few bonus features actually.
    Actually, you're right. Just none dedicated to Trent...

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    In my opinion, the post I quoted when chiding butter_hole is a fine example of why we have a "Like" button.
    Perhaps a 'this got me hard' button as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just a random observation but the piano theme from the Gone Girl trailers sounds exactly like the music from this Portal movie:

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Perhaps a 'this got me hard' button as well.
    I vouch for this.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm not gonna link to the daily mail because fuck them, but there's a brief thing with Atticus there:

Now their third project with the filmmaker is getting ready to hit cinemas, Gone Girl, with Atticus saying it's 'the best thing we've done'.

I feel like the music fits beautifully with the picture but it also feels like our most experimental work,' he said.

'The process was different partly because Trent and I were working on it in between his Nine Inch Nails tour and there was something magical about that.'
    Starring Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike in the lead roles, with Neil Patrick Harris and Tyler Perry making up the supporting cast, Gone Girl follows the plight of a husband who becomes accused of his wife's murder after she goes missing under suspicious circumstances.

As one of only a select handful of people in the world to have seen the finished cut of the film - and loved the best-selling novel it's based on - Atticus said audiences are in for a treat.
    'I like it when I go into a cinema and I'm not aware that I'm there, I'm totally involved in the film for two hours.
    'With Gone Girl I sat down and suddenly the end credits were rolling, you just become so engrossed in it.
    'From the very first time I saw it I thought it was a superb film.
    'From day one it seems like David has had a clarity of vision before he even picked up the camera.'

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I hope they'll be able to release a 5.1 mix this time. Their surround stuff are brilliant. In Motion, with its thumping bass and that synth outburst towards the end, should be a benchmark for surround speaker systems. I remember watching Dragon Tattoo in a theater and I could hear similar surround outbursts when Infiltrator was playing. Oh, the surround release that Tattoo could have been... sigh.

On another note, the guitar theme on the trailer reminds me a lot of the Call of Duty theme. Similar tempo and beat, distorted guitar...

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I stayed away from all of the threads until I finished the book. The first part of the book was boring, and I actually stopped reading. But last week at work, I had nothing to do, and picked it back up. The middle part is interesting, and that should make for good movie... The ending was lazy and horrible. I'm really thankful that it is being rewritten!

I'm excited for this now!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Yeah I read all three in order. Sharp Objects is probably her weakest book, but it's still pretty great. I though Dark Places was super riveting. It reads incredibly fast, and has just as good of a plot twist as Gone Girl. It's dark as shit, and like I said, the thing is just oozing "David Fincher". Him doing Gone Girl is still perfect, though, and thematically Spoiler: it's pretty cool that his last two films have been about a murder investigation where the victim was alive the entire time.

thanks for the tip on "Dark Places."
    I'm listening to a digital copy...halfway through and i'm fucking LOVING it.

i remember reading sharp objects pretty vividly now and thinking that it was so REFRESHING and, well, sharp. I love Flynn's "voice."

Unlike a lot of folks here, i really liked Gone Girl.
    I think i'm going to wind up liking Dark Places even more. Maybe it will get a film treatment too.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Maybe it will get a film treatment too.
    There already has been one made with Charlize Theron as Libby Day, but it's stuck in distribution limbo. Sucks too, the film's got a great cast.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    JESUS dark places was fucked up.
    i think it was better than gone girl.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Anyone else set up alerts on every music marketplace for anything called "gone girl"?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Is it fair to assume it'll pop up in the same alerts set up for "nine inch nails"?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Is it fair to assume it'll pop up in the same alerts set up for "nine inch nails"?
    Not always, if a music site simply lists the soundtrack, they may not add a description of origin. A search for Trent/Atticus should trigger it, but it can't hurt to add Gone Girl too

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Interview with Trent and Atticus in the Wall Street journal. I imagine the amount of interviews etc will depend on the film buzz / critical and commercial success

http://online.wsj.com/articles/david...ack-1409845014

I wonder if they will go to the premiere at the New York film festival?
    Last edited by WorzelG; 09-04-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    "Their score for David Fincher's new movie, Gone Girl, in theaters October 3, is due the following week."

*initiate boners*

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    "Their score for David Fincher's new movie, Gone Girl, in theaters October 3, is due the following week."

*initiate boners*
    I'm pretty sure that sentence meant that they had to be finished creating the score the week after this interview was happening, not that it'll be released the week after the movie.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I like the idea of it starting with lilting melodies and then becoming something quite sick, also I can't get enough doleful piano!