Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Soul (2020)

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Here's a link to the Japanese 1CD version (combo of Batiste & TR/AR): https://www.universal-music.co.jp/p/uwcd-1096/
    Here it is at more retailers, though it hasn't shown up yet at my preferred Japan CD retailer, cdjapan:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E3%83...5GV/ref=sr_1_1
    https://www.hmv.co.jp/artist_%E3%82%...82%AF_11303335
    https://tower.jp/item/5110718/%E3%82...83%83%E3%82%AF

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Here it is at more retailers, though it hasn't shown up yet at my preferred Japan CD retailer, cdjapan:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E3%83...5GV/ref=sr_1_1
    https://www.hmv.co.jp/artist_%E3%82%...82%AF_11303335
    https://tower.jp/item/5110718/%E3%82...83%83%E3%82%AF
    I went ahead and added the Japanese Release on nincatalog. If anyone gets it, please let me know so i can add additional images to the entry. nincatalog.com - soul (JP CD)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    This is the first score since TSN that didn’t feel like it was just droning on and on and on and on. This is good shit.

Soul has me absolutely shook.
    Wig snatched.
    Bequeefed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sorry if this was already discussed. Minor point, but can you buy the digital of the Trent and Atticus score only?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Sorry if this was already discussed. Minor point, but can you buy the digital of the Trent and Atticus score only?
    Not unless you buy the tracks individually.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I will say might be nice to support a black artist in 2020, even if who you are there for is Trent and Atticus.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I listen to the full soundtrack on Spotify with all artists (it’s only a bit over an hour with the whole thing as it is, it’s hardly Mank) and have ordered the CD that includes the Batiste score as well and I think it would feel incomplete with that missing. The sounds are really complementary I feel

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I thought it would be jarring to jump between the jazz score and the TRAR score on the digital release, but it actually does feel like a very pleasant experience. The Batiste half is very, very well done, which I suppose is to be expected, because he's a great musician. I think the only real misstep is including that quick Daveed Diggs track, but that's not a big deal.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    I thought it would be jarring to jump between the jazz score and the TRAR score on the digital release, but it actually does feel like a very pleasant experience. The Batiste half is very, very well done, which I suppose is to be expected, because he's a great musician. I think the only real misstep is including that quick Daveed Diggs track, but that's not a big deal.
    I enjoy all the tracks as well, but yeah, that short rap is a real bummer. It's really jarring in the middle of that beautiful Trent score, beautiful Batiste Jazz, and beautiful other 2 songs. I would have made it an unlisted bonus track at the end if it HAD to be included. And I don't know why they didn't include all the vinyl tracks on the CD when there is 15 minutes of extra time left. I'm excited about the future of Trent and Disney. Hopefully this will result in more Pixar work. Can't wait to hear this music at Disney Parks! If this does well, Disney Records could do additional releases, another "inspired by" album, and maybe even a remix album like they did with Daft Punk's Tron. And if the movie becomes a classic, like I assume it will, I could see a theme-park ride in the future. Exciting times! I'm glad the music is so good! And I can't wait until Friday to watch SOUL on my big 4K TV in 5.1 surround sound (yeah, I don't have Atmos). I already know I'm going to cry...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Something that’s annoying me, the LA film critics association voted the Soul music, Best Score - BUT they included Jon Batiste as can be seen on their website yet on Twitter it’s being reported as just a TRAR win! Gah, this is by Variety as well who should know better you would think!

http://www.lafca.net/Years/2020.php

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Track 1 'The Great Beyond' on my (target) vinyl is full of pops and what seems like volume shifts. Kinda blows. The rest of it is fine.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    A CD and LP are listed on Australian store JB-HiFi as awaiting stock.

I have ordered both, will confirm if they are local pressings or imported once i receive them.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timdotexe View Post
    A CD and LP are listed on Australian store JB-HiFi as awaiting stock.
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/c...ginal-score-cd

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Epiphany is such a beautiful piece of music, probably my favorite from the soundtrack. I just wish it was longer and the last piano part was more fleshed out.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Just got my Target exclusive release. Posted the images here: nincatalog.com - soul (US vinyl 12)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    MOAR! EU CD version has been posted with lots of images. nincatalog.com - soul (EU CD)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Just to make sure I've got this all figured out...

The vinyl presentation has Batiste & TR/AR on separate albums with alternative cover artwork. There's no sleeve artwork, booklet, or digital download & there's a limited edition clear vinyl variant from Target.

The digital/CD presentations feature Batiste & TR/AR tracks combined in a similar running order as the vinyl.

What is the deal with Portal/The Hall of Everything?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    TR/AR and Jon Batiste just picked up the Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Best Original Score

Source

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Just sat down with the vinyl. It's like Juno and TSN had a light-haired baby.

Standouts for me were "Meditation/Return to Earth", "Epiphany", and "Just Us". Kind of wish some of these were a biiiit longer, but overall, the awards they've received so far are much deserved and I think they should absolutely get the Oscar nomination, if not win for this.

All that said...I could do a year or two without a score.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Just sat down with the vinyl. It's like Juno and TSN had a light-haired baby.

Standouts for me were "Meditation/Return to Earth", "Epiphany", and "Just Us". Kind of wish some of these were a biiiit longer, but overall, the awards they've received so far are much deserved and I think they should absolutely get the Oscar nomination, if not win for this.

All that said...I could do a year or two without a score.
    Well said. And yeah, as much as I love most of the recent scores (especially Watchmen), I wish they'd take some time off to focus on NIN again. I know we just got Ghosts V & VI, but those aren't that much different from the scores. I'm dying to hear some new material (with Trent vocals) that's closer to the style of the trilogy, which I felt revitalized the band.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Ghosts V/VI is clearly not a NIN album. Its leftovers from other scores and most likely the entire Woman In The Window score. It was probably released as a NIN album to avoid any legal issues since its the WITW score

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Don't remember this interview posted on ETS before

Turns out the title of this video was a bit misleading... it's 45 minutes of Mank talk vs 5 minutes of Soul
    Last edited by fillow; 12-23-2020 at 02:40 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Ghosts V/VI is clearly not a NIN album. Its leftovers from other scores and most likely the entire Woman In The Window score. It was probably released as a NIN album to avoid any legal issues since its the WITW score
    declarative statements. interesting.

I don't have Spotify but are there any bits from TR&AR in the podcasts?
    Last edited by allegate; 12-23-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    declarative statements. interesting.
    He keeps stating that like it's a fact, but it's pure speculation on his part. Sure, it could be true of one of the two releases (Locusts), but none of us really knows for sure and if that is the case, TR/AR will likely never admit to it. Even if it is true, it only strengthens the point I was trying to make earlier; we need some harsh, brutal, abrasive new NIN tunes for these dark times.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I think what's more likely is that it evolved from various projects they've worked on over the past couple years. I doubt they have the legal right to just upload an unused score as is and for free, especially when it was done for a major studio. Odds are that they took the work that they did on that film and other projects and expanded upon it. Considering how much work they've done in recent years, it's not unreasonable to think that they have plenty of unused material to work with and shape into something else. Obviously I don't know that to be fact (and neither does anyone else), but that seems logical to me. Anyway, this has nothing to do with Soul, so I'll just leave it at that.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Not trying to derail the thread for this latest gem of a score, but I was the one who came out and said Locusts was most likely the Woman in The Window score. Speculation, yes..but I'd like to think well-informed speculation, if you read between the lines of what was said about it in the December 2019 Revolver cover story. It's unlikely Trent and Atticus will ever cop to it, as they probably can't do so legally. But it's very possible that once it was decided that the score was not going to be used in the film, the studio allowed them to walk away untethered, to release the score as they saw fit, as long as it didn't explicitly state it was the WITW score. TR and AR, being the nice people they are, decided to give it away for free -- along with a separate collection of music -- under the auspice of the long-dormant Ghosts moniker..

Again, that's not gospel, but it is the narrative I'm going with, and enhances the experience for me tenfold. From the track titles to how the score was described in press to how it actually sounds, it's not hard to believe that what you're hearing on Locusts is very, very possibly the WITW score..

Fun fact: if you combine Juno, the Mid90s tracks and the Soul score onto one playlist/CD (in that order), it's truly something..

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The comments section on the NIN fb page about the Pixar score ranks up there with the Manson thread over here on ETS in terms of toxicity lmao......

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    we need some harsh, brutal, abrasive new NIN tunes for these dark times.
    Seriously, have you tried punching your balls off to "Together"? It's tough...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    This film is about a cat