Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Nirvana

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    It's a shame and odd that none of the Seattle giants played Woodstock '94.
    Obv Nirvana was over by then. AIC was already in heroin hell at that point. That was the summer they bailed on the Metallica tour at the last minute because of Layne's issues. Pearl Jam was already removing themselves from the mainstream and toning down their touring schedule.......The only band that could have played was Soundgarden and they were touring that summer so no idea why they didn't play. They should have played on NINs night

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Obv Nirvana was over by then. AIC was already in heroin hell at that point. That was the summer they bailed on the Metallica tour at the last minute because of Layne's issues. Pearl Jam was already removing themselves from the mainstream and toning down their touring schedule.......The only band that could have played was Soundgarden and they were touring that summer so no idea why they didn't play. They should have played on NINs night
    Soundgarden turned down the gig.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-21-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Obv Nirvana was over by then. AIC was already in heroin hell at that point. That was the summer they bailed on the Metallica tour at the last minute because of Layne's issues...
    Oh man, I remember THAT, for DAMN sure.
    This was back in the day, of course, when you had to read magazines and the like to learn such information.

We bought tickets for Metallica with Alice In Chains. That was the summer between 8th and 9th grade for me.
    But a LOT of the crowd, me and my friends included, were unaware AIC had dropped out until we were AT the show.

There was an apology about AIC, and then, drum roll,..............CANDLEBOX took the stage.
    Words cannot describe the horror I felt at that moment.
    The crowd was PISSED.

Edit: I, myself was EXTRA pissed because I'd just seen Rush on Counterparts. From what I understood, the opening acts would be Primus, and Eric Johnson (my favorite of the Satriani types, by FAR.)
    Instead, on the leg that included Dallas, we got, wait for it...CANDLEBOX!
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-21-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Sorry for double post, but for anyone who cares about "grunge," at all, I can't recommend this book enough. It's called Everybody Loves Our Town by Mark Yarm.

It reads like a novel, but is composed SOLELY of answers to interview questions, and is compiled from 250 interviews. We're talking members of Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, the U-Men, AIC, Screaming Trees, Babes in Toyland, 7 Year Bitch, L7, Mother Love Bone, as well as members of LA Strip bands.
    ALSO interviewed were radio DJs, record store owners, video directors, label execs (lots of Sub Pop of course, club owners, journalists, sceenie weenies, and a lot more. It's UNREAL, and I think it'd fascinate anyone who was in middle/HS as that scene happened.

I have like an, ummm, how you say... evaluation copy, if you will, in kindle format?
    If you'd like to evaluate it, PM me.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Hetfield didn't take to kindly to AIC dropping out......Not one of James finest moments here....I am sure he looks back at this now and cringes considering the issues he has had to deal with (and canceled Metallica tours)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Oh man, I remember THAT, for DAMN sure.
    This was back in the day, of course, when you had to read magazines and the like to learn such information.

We bought tickets for Metallica with Alice In Chains. That was the summer between 8th and 9th grade for me.
    But a LOT of the crowd, me and my friends included, were unaware AIC had dropped out until we were AT the show.

There was an apology about AIC, and then, drum roll,..............CANDLEBOX took the stage.
    Words cannot describe the horror I felt at that moment.
    The crowd was PISSED.

Edit: I, myself was EXTRA pissed because I'd just seen Rush on Counterparts. From what I understood, the opening acts would be Primus, and Eric Johnson (my favorite of the Satriani types, by FAR.)
    Instead, on the leg that included Dallas, we got, wait for it...CANDLEBOX!
    I like Candlebox. Saw them in Boston a few years ago, really good show. But yeah, I can imagine being pissed if I went to see AIC and got Candlebox instead.

I saw Metallica on that tour, we got Danzig and Suicidal Tendencies--good show.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Hetfield didn't take to kindly to AIC dropping out......Not one of James finest moments here....I am sure he looks back at this now and cringes considering the issues he has had to deal with (and canceled Metallica tours)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I like Candlebox. Saw them in Boston a few years ago, really good show. But yeah, I can imagine being pissed if I went to see AIC and got Candlebox instead.

I saw Metallica on that tour, we got Danzig and Suicidal Tendencies--good show.
    You...you got Danzig? And ST?
    JESUS i got the shortest possible end of the stick on that one. :P
    (edit: i actively dislike Candlebox. There are bands that i don't care for, but very few that i actually DISLIKE, to the point that their music is like, offensive to my ears. Candlebox is in that rare group.)

Yeah, that Metallica show was great, though, wasn't it? I think it was the perfect time to see them. You're my age, right? I was a little dude; i got my fucking lip busted open in the mosh pit, which of course, made me think i was a real badass at 13 or whatever.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-22-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    You...you got Danzig? And ST?
    JESUS i got the shortest possible end of the stick on that one. :P
    (edit: i actively dislike Candlebox. There are bands that i don't care for, but very few that i actually DISLIKE, to the point that their music is like, offensive to my ears. Candlebox is in that rare group.)

Yeah, that Metallica show was great, though, wasn't it? I think it was the perfect time to see them. You're my age, right? I was a little dude; i got my fucking lip busted open in the mosh pit, which of course, made me think i was a real badass at 13 or whatever.
    Yeah, Metallica circa 1994 was the shit. By that point they had released all of their classic albums and they were, arguably, at their best live. Right before Load/Reload, Napster, etc.

Candlebox--Never a huge fan, but I do really like the debut. It's probably the one mainstream rock album from that era that I didn't play to death back in the day. I don't understand why they were opening up for Metallica though. Might as well have been Matchbox 20.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-22-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Yeah, Metallica circa 1994 was the shit. By that point they had released all of their classic albums and they were, arguably, at their best live. Right before Load/Reload, Napster, etc.

Candlebox--Never a huge fan, but I do really like the debut. It's probably the one mainstream rock album from that era that I didn't play to death back in the day. I don't understand why they were opening up for Metallica though. Might as well have been Matchbox 20.
    With Candlebox, it was my dad who first turned me sour on them. It has to do with the uppity lyrics regarding drug addiction and such.
    And i understood what he meant in a BIG hurry, listening closely to the words of that You song.

Metallica in 94 though, HELL yes. I'm sure some (mostly older cats) might say they "sold out, man" with the black album and we should have seen them on Justice or something, but i'd be lying if i said that record didn't get me into Metallica in the first place.

Post black album, pre load...YEAH. I'm glad you and i both caught that tour, @GulDukat

ALSO, so...Nirvana, amirite guys?
    (it's getting pretty damn drifty in here )

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Nirvana Seek to Dismiss Nevermind Baby Lawsuit: Spencer Elden “Spent Three Decades Profiting from His Celebrity”

Elden has spent three decades profiting from his celebrity as the self-anointed ‘Nirvana Baby’,” reads the motion. “He has reenacted the photograph in exchange for a fee, many times; he has had the album title ‘Nevermind’ tattooed across his chest; he has appeared on a talk show wearing a self-parodying, nude-colored onesie; he has autographed copies of the album cover for sale on eBay; and he has used the connection to try to pick up women.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I read all of that with a straight face thinking "yup, that arsehole" and then the last sentence floored me into a guffaw. Glad my meeting ended five minutes ago and that I wasn't still on it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    oh my goddddddddd. fuckin asshole.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    and what happened with frances ex that took the guitar? he still got it?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    This was inevitable. If you read about the dismissal, it was on a technicality, and specifically left the door open for him to refile. But yes, he's a fucking asshole. Nothing but an attempt at a money grab.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If he had been trying to live in obscurity and he had been hounded his whole life I would sort of understand. But to get "Nevermind" tattooed on your chest, recreate the Nevermind photo, etc., and then sue.

I have zero sympathy.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-13-2022 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Seriously

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    He wants an out-of-court settlement SO bad. I guess he needs it to remove the Nevermind tattoo.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    He wants an out-of-court settlement SO bad. I guess he needs it to remove the Nevermind tattoo.
    Dude could have...miked it. He could have sold autographs online to Nirvana fanatics, wrote a book, etc.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's funny. The more he does this, the more he proves the point of the cover.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Eesh, I'm older than dirt!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Eesh, I'm older than dirt!
    I remember seeing it on display at Tower Records, right when it was released.

The 20th anniversary feels like yesterday.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Eh, the 20th anniversary release is good enough. Same with Nevermind.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Eh, the 20th anniversary release is good enough. Same with Nevermind.
    I'd take the 1991 Nevermind over the 2011 or 2021 remasters. The original In Utero sounds great too, as is. Some albums don't need to be remastered.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'd take the 1991 Nevermind over the 2011 or 2021 remasters. The original In Utero sounds great too, as is. Some albums don't need to be remastered.
    I actually liked the mix that Albini did for the 20th anniversary edition. When I listen to the album in full, that's the version I go for.