Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN-Spotting 2013 (Part 2/2)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    What does "spat his dummy out" mean?

Edit: nm

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spit_the_dummy

You know, I'm familiar with a lot of British idioms, but you guys have some doozies sometimes.
    That one isn't as common over here as "threw his toys out of the pram", which is more or less the same idea . (EDIT: Ooh, double-post. Ouch. My apologies. This is almost as embarrassing as that time I brought a bag of V:tM d10s to a D&D3.5e game!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    It's a bit staggering how many people are complaining that NIN's music isn't dynamic enough when much of it is meant to be loud, abrasive and even difficult to listen to at times. I remember people complaining about the guitar sound around the The Slip period. Trent clearly didn't use good tube amps, they moaned. Someone else then pointed out that it's completely pointless for NIN to care about sound to the degree where they'd spend their money on equipment like that. An assessment I agree with. And come on - yes, this music is loud, but it's not as if it's a new Death Magnetic FFS.

What's next? Someone wants more dynamics out of "Last" or "Big Man With a Gun"? I'm an audiophile myself, but I also know what to expect (and what I want) from NIN. Maybe the audiophiles who don't should listen to a different band. And I reckon that particular group of audiophiles would never settle for a digital-only audiophile version anyway.

For now, I'm personally satisfied. I only listen to the Audiophile Mastered Version these days. I still really want the album on vinyl, though. But as far as digital goes, I'm satisfied.
    In my opinion:

Year Zero, The Slip and Hesitation Marks are also produced by Atticus Ross. The rest of the albums he didnt do any work on it. He crafts certain sounds and i think it has something to do with EQ-ing. That's why the guitar sound at the Slip sounds like they could use better guitaramps....

Maybe that is the reason or one of the reasons why the sound is different. What do the ETS'er think about this?

Fun bonus fact: when Sonny Moore, Skrillex was in his band, some of the music was produced by Atticus Ross. Atticus teached him how to produce music....

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batolle View Post
    In my opinion:

Year Zero, The Slip and Hesitation Marks are also produced by Atticus Ross. The rest of the albums he didnt do any work on it. He crafts certain sounds and i think it has something to do with EQ-ing. That's why the guitar sound at the Slip sounds like they could use better guitaramps....

Maybe that is the reason or one of the reasons why the sound is different. What do the ETS'er think about this?

Fun bonus fact: when Sonny Moore, Skrillex was in his band, some of the music was produced by Atticus Ross. Atticus teached him how to produce music....
    So, you're saying Atticus is bad at this? Just listen to the Broken City soundtrack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batolle View Post
    In my opinion:

But the multitracks for Year Zero and The Slip were made available, and they were VERY different from the final mastered product, if you believe the people who compared them. That would seem to run contrary to your theory.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    also, atticus worked on with teeth and ghosts, as well as both film scores, and all of the HTDA stuff...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    You know, ive never even heard of these Biffy Clyro guys until recently, apparently their popular in Europe?

link to the article

Despite Reznor’s outburst, Neil said the band didn’t take it personally. “We’re not naive, Trent Reznor operates in a different world to the rest of them. He lives in Beverly Hills, he’s won Oscars and all that. And he’s just brought the band back together. So maybe for a split second [we were offended], but to be honest we’ve kind of had enough of that happening through the years that it didn’t bother us so much.”
    Trent has a history of saying whatever is on his mind at the time, so ill give him that. But "operates in a different world to the rest of them"? I sense a bit of jealousy there. If Trent was really so concerned about headlining every show, I dont think he would be doing festivals in the first place. Plus, remember them opening for JA in 2009... yeah.... He was probably just pissed because they could'nt use the full production. That shit cant be cheap, and how many dates are they using it at? 15 or something like that if i remember correctly. Thats not very many, and its a killer production too.

Anyways, this is just another side to the story. Does anybody know what really happened?
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 09-06-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: more thoughts and link to article

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    It's easy to see why Trent was so pissed off when you look at the behind-the-scenes video for the making of the tour production. SO much work, time and money went into that, who wouldn't be angry if they found out at the last minute that they couldn't use it?

Seems everyone involved who's publicly addressed Trent's comments has been curiously silent on that particular matter. Biffy Clyro's "oh poor little happy-go-lucky us, bullied by an international megastar" approach to sidestepping the issue feels particularly disingenuous.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    You know, ive never even heard of these Biffy Clyro guys until recently, apparently their popular in Europe?
    They are, but honestly fuck knows why.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Re: NIN-Spotting 2013 (Part 2/2)

I'm not convinced that biffy clyro had anything to do with the production being nixed. Suspect that is entirely down to the festival. Trent lashing out is hardly unusual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My guess is that the promoter gave verbal assurance beforehand, and then when the promoter couldn't deliver on his promise, blamed Biffy Clyro. Regardless, if they really wanted to use the full production, it should have been in the contract. The words "lying" and "promoter" are pretty much synonymous.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I'm not convinced that biffy clyro had anything to do with the production being nixed. Suspect that is entirely down to the festival. Trent lashing out is hardly unusual.
    The fact that they didn't come out and say 'we had nothing to do with this' ? Why didn't they just say Trent is talking bollocks if they had nothing to do with it? The stuff he said could be considered libellous if there was no truth to it?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I get the impression they found out too late that there wasn't time/room on the stage for the production, then Trent blamed the band after (for also having production/being on after them) simple as that.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    So these might have been posted at some point but I couldn't resist posting. I was looking on my phone for the lyrics to Satellite and when i typed it into google, the autofill for searches came up and one that caught my attention was "nine inch nails satanic"

DC talk is satanic by way of Nine Inch Nails (i feel like i've read this one before)
    http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils...esus_freak.htm

Yahoo answers: Is Nine Inch Nails Satanic?
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3114801AAdOqyR

Is it normal to feel awkward when the song "closer" by NIN comes on?
    http://isitnormal.com/story/is-it-no...omes-on-90417/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yahay - Number 2 position in the UK charts, which is the highest position ever in the UK for NIN (With Teeth was 3).
    http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-...-1-album-2474/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Trent on the phone with 107.7 in Australia in about 1.25 hours.

Stream here.

http://tunein.com/radio/triple-j-1077-s89109/

EDIT: 20 mins.
    Last edited by Tyson; 09-09-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    The fact that they didn't come out and say 'we had nothing to do with this' ? Why didn't they just say Trent is talking bollocks if they had nothing to do with it? The stuff he said could be considered libellous if there was no truth to it?
    Because from their POV it matters very little. This is obviously big news in NIN fan circles, but it's not really of interest to anyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the section of "closer" between the first chorus and the second verse was used in an editorial section of "the project" tv show tonight here in australia.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Hesitation Marks debuts at #5 on the Irish album charts, highest ever NIN position:
    http://www.irma.ie/aucharts.asp#albums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Trent on the phone with 107.7 in Australia in about 1.25 hours.

Stream here.

http://tunein.com/radio/triple-j-1077-s89109/

EDIT: 20 mins.
    anyone capture this?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    There wasn't really anything new in the interview. Pretty much the same old stuff aside from a few sentences about working with Buckingham and it kinda giving him goosebumps. And Trent talking of how the sax ended up on the album. He basically said he tells the assistants to pull some random instruments out of storage when he feels like experimenting, and plays around a bit with what ever gets brought to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    There wasn't really anything new in the interview...
    cheers! was hoping there might have been some talk of australian tour.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    ^He said the news on the Aus tour will be "imminently forthcoming"

You can hear the interview here: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/...lour=undefined

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    "imminently forthcoming"
    http://thesaurus.com/browse/soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is a weird one I saw this morning while my son was watching this show Chuck and Friends on Netflix.

Also last night watching Breaking Bad a Sons of Anarchy commercial came on with The Mark Has Been Made playing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    You missed his "I get in trouble, it seems, if I use the word 'soon'"

I LITERALLY started screeching laughter. Oh, Trent, you know us so well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My girlfriend sent me this.

Sadly I remember this when it aired.

http://fullhouseforever87.tumblr.com/post/60757432861

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I remember that. I also remember one episode of The Nanny where the oldest girl wanted to go to a NIN concert.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    My wife loves the movie clueless.........yeah i know, but we were in our teens in the 90's........but i just watch it for the nine inch nails reference. And claire danes or whoever she is. I mean alicia.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    There's also a NIN poster at some point in Full House. The TR black gloves one.