Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    there are two new COIL releases up for preorder on Norman Records! Stolen & Contaminated Songs 2xLP & Scatology Sessions 2xCD

just wish a US retailer was stocking them :/ (and that i had money right now)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Fuck both of those releases. S&C is yet another Danny Hyde cash-in and Scatology Sessions is already available from the Live Coil Archives and archive.org.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vav View Post
    Fuck both of those releases. S&C is yet another Danny Hyde cash-in and Scatology Sessions is already available from the Live Coil Archives and archive.org.
    ugh, thanks for the warning. at first i thought danny had good intentions with getting some more stuff out there but yeah, he's starting to piss me off. wasn't planning on buying scatology sessions as i don't need a physical CD of it.

what i really want is new vinyl pressings of Musick To Play In The Dark & Love's Secret Domain

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    what i really want is new vinyl pressings of Musick To Play In The Dark & Love's Secret Domain
    Amen brother!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Coil

2019 was a rather big year for coil fans:

We got two excellent Live Four tour soundboards (in 24-bit!) from Thighpaulsandra.

Threshold Archives vol. 2

And then a mixed bag of issues by Danny Hyde: Gay Man’s Guide, Swanyard, Stolen & Contaminated.

Oh, and the The Nine Inch Nails thong was a nice touch.
    Last edited by tricil; 01-02-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    And then a mixed bag of issues by Danny Hyde: Gay Man’s Guide, Swanyard, Stolen & Contaminated.
    Even though the archive.org Coil discography exists, I'm glad these DH reissues are making it onto streaming platforms.

Oh, and the The Nine Inch Nails thong was a nice touch.
    Heh.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Even though the archive.org Coil discography exists, I'm glad these DH reissues are making it onto streaming platforms.
    Oh, same. I pre-ordered Stolen and Contaminated on vinyl because it was CD-only to begin with. Too bad there's a minute of Her Friends The Wolves appended on to the end of Corybantic Ennui.

Also, there's A Tale Of Two Black Light Districts.

There's Drew McDowell's version on Dais Records with the proper vinyl-only bonus track London's Lost Rivers: https://drewmcdowall.bandcamp.com/al...-darkened-room

Then there's Danny Hyde's issue on Infinite Fog which he did at the same exact time as the above reissue and wasn't sketch at all: https://infinitefog.bandcamp.com/alb...-darkened-room

While this version has a new-to-us track (Scattered Cross), it takes out the correct London's Lost Rivers and replaces it with the Coil version of the track from Unnatural History III, The Lost Rivers of London.

And because the Danny Hyde version is totally not sketchy at all, it's been uploaded to Spotify using the exact same title as the superior Dais release, which is makes Spotify hide the Dais issue in favor of this one.

Danny's version: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fdKu...Q0q_wW4LnPOxpw
    Drew's version: https://open.spotify.com/album/6cIEv...TMGhKn6Zx-Eo2Q

Stolen and Contaminated Songs was likely only reissued because Danny had put out Nasa Arab and Omlagus Garfungiloops on The Theme for Gay Man's Guide +2 (these are the plus two here). Now that that's been opened up, it's likely we'll see a Danny Hyde Love's Secret Domain next year, (un)fortunately. I'll likely buy it, but it's getting to the point of "well I was there in the studio producing the record I guess have the rights to put it out..."

Thongs.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    Also, there's A Tale Of Two Black Light Districts.

There's Drew McDowell's version on Dais Records with the proper vinyl-only bonus track London's Lost Rivers: https://drewmcdowall.bandcamp.com/al...-darkened-room

Then there's Danny Hyde's issue on Infinite Fog which he did at the same exact time as the above reissue and wasn't sketch at all: https://infinitefog.bandcamp.com/alb...-darkened-room

While this version has a new-to-us track (Scattered Cross), it takes out the correct London's Lost Rivers and replaces it with the Coil version of the track from Unnatural History III, The Lost Rivers of London.

And because the Danny Hyde version is totally not sketchy at all, it's been uploaded to Spotify using the exact same title as the superior Dais release, which is makes Spotify hide the Dais issue in favor of this one.

Danny's version: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fdKu...Q0q_wW4LnPOxpw
    Drew's version: https://open.spotify.com/album/6cIEv...TMGhKn6Zx-Eo2Q

Stolen and Contaminated Songs was likely only reissued because Danny had put out Nasa Arab and Omlagus Garfungiloops on The Theme for Gay Man's Guide +2 (these are the plus two here).
    It's the same on Tidal and Deezer. I've also noticed the digital artwork is cropped incorrectly, and the colors are desaturated on the DH releases.

I was happy for a Stolen and Contaminated Songs reissue because I lost my disc to ring rot years ago.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so...is the stolen & contaminated vinyl worth getting? i've gone back and forth on it a lot.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    so...is the stolen & contaminated vinyl worth getting? i've gone back and forth on it a lot.
    I haven’t gotten my order just yet so i wouldn’t know the actual quality of it.

Despite being ethically dubious because Danny Hyde was an engineer at best on these tracks, S&CS never had a vinyl pressing when it originally came out in 92/93. So it’s interesting for that alone.

Will let you know when i get it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    yeah i have really mixed feelings about some of the stuff danny has been doing. some of it has been cool, but some of it has been...sort of disrespectful.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    yeah i have really mixed feelings about some of the stuff danny has been doing. some of it has been cool, but some of it has been...sort of disrespectful.
    That’s the jist of it!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    So...over the past two weeks I've been on a heavy Coil kick. I've been off and on for a good few years now, but I've finally hit a point where I feel like I've comfortably immersed myself in both the studio and live discographies and shows thereof.

Something I've been mulling over is the fact that in the mid-nineties and beyond, the Coil discography really veers into the eclectic, drone and experimental. Which is wonderful, of course, but those overtly musical moments which do appear leave me to muse at what could have been. The Musick To Play In The Dark works stand on their own, but I can barely listen to much of Moon's Milk, for example.

To that end I'm kind of considering creating my own playlist or compilation of mid-late period musical odds and sods. Not in any sort of attempt to create an accessible album or anything, but it just sort of feels like there's enough kicking about to warrant it, for me at least, whether it be live favorites, outliers, or things that feel like they have a common thread.

Just spitballing. I'll see if I can come up with something cool.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Word on the Coil FB group is that Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. 1 is getting a vinyl re-release this summer on Dais, with higher-quality artwork and will include the full-length CD versions of the tracks as opposed to the original trimmed LP versions. Sourced from the original masters.

Vol. 2 under discussion currently

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Word on the Coil FB group is that Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. 1 is getting a vinyl re-release this summer on Dais, with higher-quality artwork and will include the full-length CD versions of the tracks as opposed to the original trimmed LP versions. Sourced from the original masters.

Vol. 2 under discussion currently

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I'm after some advice re all of this new Coil vinyl that's been coming out, and what is or isn't 'legit', given the number of different labels all this stuff is coming out on.

I've been a bit of a Coil dabbler for many years, but have been diving in a bit more deeply with vinyl recently. I've got Time Machines and Black Light District, both of which I've wanted for years, so was super happy when those came out. I also randomly grabbed Astral Disaster Sessions Un/Finished Music when I saw it in a record shop. That's got some great stuff on it, even though I'm not actually that familiar with the original release.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying Gay Man's Guide and Stolen & Contaminated Songs, but wasn't sure if either or both of these would be considered to be 'official' Coil releases? Is there such a thing these days? Is their a view on which record labels are putting out legitimate Coil releases, and which aren't? I'm also thinking in terms of what's coming out in future.

Anyway, help/guidance appreciated before I splash too much cash...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Hi all,

I'm after some advice re all of this new Coil vinyl that's been coming out, and what is or isn't 'legit', given the number of different labels all this stuff is coming out on.

I've been a bit of a Coil dabbler for many years, but have been diving in a bit more deeply with vinyl recently. I've got Time Machines and Black Light District, both of which I've wanted for years, so was super happy when those came out. I also randomly grabbed Astral Disaster Sessions Un/Finished Music when I saw it in a record shop. That's got some great stuff on it, even though I'm not actually that familiar with the original release.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying Gay Man's Guide and Stolen & Contaminated Songs, but wasn't sure if either or both of these would be considered to be 'official' Coil releases? Is there such a thing these days? Is their a view on which record labels are putting out legitimate Coil releases, and which aren't? I'm also thinking in terms of what's coming out in future.

Anyway, help/guidance appreciated before I splash too much cash...
    gay man's guide is legit and great. as are astral disaster & unfinished music.

stolen & contaminated, according to some of my friends in this thread, is a danny hyde cash grab.

anything that comes out on Dais records is 100% legit, and done with great care, as i'm sure you noticed from their versions of time machines & black light district.

there's a single of another brown world/baby food that's legit, as is the version of "a cold cell" that has the etching on side B.

i have mixed feelings about swanyard vs. backwards, but i own both and since ape of naples is my fav coil album, i'm glad to finally have (supposedly) every single thing from those sessions.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    None of it is “legit.”

Gay Man’s, Swanyard, Backwards, S&C, BLD (Infinite Fog) and that other single that just released are all Danny cashing in. He has claim to writing some material and recording/engineering most of this, but he has no publishing rights.

Astral Disaster & the 2 unfinished volumes are a cash in by Gary Ramon, who originally released the record on Perscription & and played sitar one of the songs. Since he original lot released the record I’d imagine he’s got an argument for releasing the original record, but 2 unfinished sessions supplements?

Baby Food/Another Brown World is Sub Rosa cashing in, as those tracks were released on their compilations back in the days. See above, although at least this wasn’t egregious.

Cold Cell in Bangkok, same as above.

The Dais releases of TM, BLD & Elph can be considered the most legit due to Drew being one of the primary writers of the material in question. Also, the artwork is indicative of what sleazy wanted for the legacy/codex: simple and tasteful and as close to the original as possible.

and you’re probably missing the Backwards studio stems tracked right off of the Nothing desk, I have the files somewhere if I can find them I’ll upload them, although they aren’t too much different than what ended up as the Backwards release.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    At the end of the day the original members of coil aren’t seeing any of the proceeds of any new issues so I’m less concerned about what is legit or not. I think it’s double standards to criticise Hyde for not having publishing rights but give McDowall a pass on the same thing. I’m more annoyed by Hyde’s lack of honesty about the provenance of “new” mixes and tracks.

Edit: I totally accept that McDowall wrote Time Machines which I love; I just don’t think we are in a strong position to judge Hyde’s contribution on some of the other material

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    One opportunity opened another with Danny Hyde.

Uncoiled begat Recoiled begat Backwards begat Swanyard begat that new single

the Gay Man’s Guide had NASA Arab and Omlagous Garfungiloops as bonus tracks, which begat Stolen and Contaminated Songs

I guaranfuckintee that Stolen and Contaminated open the door to a questionable reissue of Love’s Secret Domain soon enough.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    None of it is “legit.”

Gay Man’s, Swanyard, Backwards, S&C, BLD (Infinite Fog) and that other single that just released are all Danny cashing in. He has claim to writing some material and recording/engineering most of this, but he has no publishing rights.

Astral Disaster & the 2 unfinished volumes are a cash in by Gary Ramon, who originally released the record on Perscription & and played sitar one of the songs. Since he original lot released the record I’d imagine he’s got an argument for releasing the original record, but 2 unfinished sessions supplements?

Baby Food/Another Brown World is Sub Rosa cashing in, as those tracks were released on their compilations back in the days. See above, although at least this wasn’t egregious.

Cold Cell in Bangkok, same as above.

The Dais releases of TM, BLD & Elph can be considered the most legit due to Drew being one of the primary writers of the material in question. Also, the artwork is indicative of what sleazy wanted for the legacy/codex: simple and tasteful and as close to the original as possible.

and you’re probably missing the Backwards studio stems tracked right off of the Nothing desk, I have the files somewhere if I can find them I’ll upload them, although they aren’t too much different than what ended up as the Backwards release.
    my mistake, sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks all for the replies. I had thought that the Dias releases were the closest to 'genuine' Coil output being released currently, which seems to be the general consensus.

I guess the jury's out on a lot of the rest. Still tempted to pick up some of the others, but will think on it.

What I'd really love is to somehow get hold of some of the original vinyl from the 80's and 90's, but prices are pretty prohibitive! I saw a Horse Rotorvator Dutch pressing from 1987 for £100 in a record shop a few months ago, so can't imagine how much an original pressing would go for...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I paid silly money for a Horse Rotovator, well, about £30 if memory serves, but I’ve no idea what pressing it is. I feel a bit silly even writing this. I picked it up at an in-person vinyl fair.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Thanks all for the replies. I had thought that the Dias releases were the closest to 'genuine' Coil output being released currently, which seems to be the general consensus.

I guess the jury's out on a lot of the rest. Still tempted to pick up some of the others, but will think on it.

What I'd really love is to somehow get hold of some of the original vinyl from the 80's and 90's, but prices are pretty prohibitive! I saw a Horse Rotorvator Dutch pressing from 1987 for £100 in a record shop a few months ago, so can't imagine how much an original pressing would go for...
    this is the version of scatology i have (bought it for $40 almost 20 years ago) and it seems like it goes for around the same price these days. not bad.

this is the version of horse rotorvator i have. i paid $35 for it on discogs a few years ago (and didn't realize until today that it was sold under the wrong version, so i corrected that in my collection).

this is the version of gold is the metal i have, still going for around the same price i paid five years ago or so.

stuff like "love's secret domain" and both volumes of "musick to play in the dark" are prohibitively expensive, though, so i've never gotten them on vinyl, sadly. really hoping the latter get reissued through Dais sometime soon.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 04-01-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Has Dais given any updates to that rumor they were going to repress MTPITD 1 & 2 this year? I own original copies of both on vinyl, but due to them going for about $1,500 each nowadays, I am terrified to play them and just stick to my original first-press CD copies, which can also fetch hundreds of dollars..

And I finally tracked down all 16 of the Threshold Archives CDs; despite their shitty packaging with zero information whatsoever (what fucking idiot designed these?), the abundance of high quality rare and unreleased music makes it worth the time and currency it took to accumulate them all. Pretty sure I have everything these guys have ever released up this point now. I was skeptical of the Swanyard collection that Danny put out last year, but that turned out to be a goldmine of Backwards-era material in the end. Now if only we could get the entire catalogue reissued on vinyl by Dais..

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    There have been periodic updates in the form of comments on posts in the Coil Facebook group, which I can sum up thusly: MTPTID Vol 1 is still on schedule, even with the whole COVID disruption. MTPITD Vol 2 was never confirmed, and likely depends on how successful the pressing of Vol 1 is.

If you don't play your MTPITDv1 record, get that cash for it @Prettybrokenspiral

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    They’ve dropped in price. I sold my V1 recently for about 300. Also I dropped my Admin for the Coil group to focus on some other things so hopefully they don’t drop the ball on keeping the fashiies out in my absence.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    They’ve dropped in price. I sold my V1 recently for about 300. Also I dropped my Admin for the Coil group to focus on some other things so hopefully they don’t drop the ball on keeping the fashiies out in my absence.
    Not being on Facebook, could you describe some of the stuff fascists are trying to get away with there? Does Coil historically have a fan base with such leanings, more so than that of other artists/bands?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

not sure how i missed it, but dais recently released an "art edition" of time machines, limited to 43 copies, for $100. guessing it sold out almost instantly. kind of glad i missed it, actually, since i literally have no money right now. https://www.daisrecords.com/collecti...es-art-edition