Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Patriots Day (2016)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona Radiata View Post
    I'm at the same spot. This is great.

Hoping for a vinyl release. Looks like we've got another "insider" here. I dare not ask if he's legit...don't want to start another witch hunt.

Do people really still buy CDs? I mean I guess I can understand if you're a TR complesionist and you want to own everything. But as far as physical releases go, vinyl is the way. The beauty of taking a fresh new record, putting it on the turntable and having the artwork like it's meant to be beats some flimsy little cd any day. Imo of course.
    Yes people still buy cd.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I'm at the same spot. This is great.

Hoping for a vinyl release. Looks like we've got another "insider" here. I dare not ask if he's legit...don't want to start another witch hunt.
    It literally cannot get any more "inside" than that.

Give it up...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    (Ohmyfuckinggodherewegoagain) Than what? Who is he? I'm simply asking a question. Be a dear and answer.

Edit: And maybe stop face palming literally every post I make. Your obsessiveness is showing.
    Last edited by Corona Radiata; 01-13-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    On the second to last song. On first listen this is great, though nothing has topped Gone Girl for me yet. The vibe on that score is just so fucking out of this world. Like you're in a spa in purgatory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This score reminds me of Quake.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bevilacq12 View Post
    I can't understand the rationale behind not releasing a CD of this (assuming that Lakeshore doesn't come through at a later date). There are tons of new soundtrack CD releases every month, so to imply that there's no market for it is laughably false. And a soundtrack by Trent Reznor has cross-over appeal between NIN fans and soundtrack afficionados, so it's especially weird in comparison.

I. Just. Don't. Get. It.
    I'll agree with you when this subject gets up to 75 pages like NTAE has. The small amount of people commenting on this compared to when NTAE speaks for itself.

On another note, looking at the detail of the tracks downloaded from Amazon - the bitrate varies between 182 and 262. I presumed I was buying CD quality from them, but apparently not. Slightly vexed by that. On speaking to Amazon they confirm that everything is encoded at 256 variable bit rate - 182 is pretty damn variable. Asked them if they'd be able to re-do it but setting file at a standard 256, no dice. So they've refunded and I'll buy a high quality digital offering instead when it's made available.
    Last edited by simonn; 01-14-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Saw the movie Thursday night. Really gut wrenching stuff. The score fit wonderfully throughout the movie. I was wondering if Peter Berg would put Dropkick Murphy's new song about the Boston bombing in the credits, and curiously, he DID put a Murphys song in the credits, but its Forever (2007 version).

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Looks like we've got another "insider" here. I dare not ask if he's legit...don't want to start another witch hunt.
    I can't help but find it hilarious you questioning the validity of someone who basically said the same thing on his official site a month ago that you say below vvvvvvv

But as far as physical releases go, vinyl is the way. The beauty of taking a fresh new record, putting it on the turntable and having the artwork like it's meant to be beats some flimsy little cd any day. Imo of course.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I never questioned anyone's validity.

forget it.
    Last edited by Corona Radiata; 01-14-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    I presumed I was buying CD quality from them, but apparently not. Slightly vexed by that. On speaking to Amazon they confirm that everything is encoded at 256 variable bit rate - 182 is pretty damn variable.
    I believe this is what VBR means. Quiet parts of the music have a low bitrate compared to the louder parts (that requires more complex encoding). Silence would have a very low bitrate as it would take very little to reproduce the original sound. In the end, you do get your promised 256 bit rate, but it's an average.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perterje View Post
    I believe this is what VBR means. Quiet parts of the music have a low bitrate compared to the louder parts (that requires more complex encoding). Silence would have a very low bitrate as it would take very little to reproduce the original sound. In the end, you do get your promised 256 bit rate, but it's an average.
    Interesting - didn't know that! Cheers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'll agree with you when this subject gets up to 75 pages like NTAE has. The small amount of people commenting on this compared to when NTAE speaks for itself.
    Right now I still have hope as the Before the Flood CD is still up on amazon(.de). And Patriots Day seems to be released by Lakeshore records too. So there is that.

On the other hand I have more or less accepted that TR dislikes the format and regard any future releases on Compact Disc as a bonus, not a given.

That does not stop me from coming here demanding Trent to put out CDs of course. But I guess it won't be so frequent...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Over on amazon, it says track 8, "The Night Drive," is only available on "album only."

Really hoping for a CD release myself.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-14-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Guys, should I spoil the fun here?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycguy View Post
    Now that AR is a member of Nine Inch Nails, why are these soundtracks still being done under TR/AR?

I retag them as Nine Inch Nails in my Walkman, even going back to TSN.
    This is nothing but speculation, but....

One word answer: business.

Longer answer: Nine Inch Nails and film scores are two very different things - I'm not talking musically, I'm talking about business-wise. When Atticus and Trent are hired to score a soundtrack, they're hired (presumably) as themselves. When Nine Inch Nails releases an album, goes on tour, sells a t-shirt, whatever, it's a completely different business. Several different people get paid in a completely different manner than when A&T do a soundtrack.

But on top of that, as @BRoswell said, it's quite possible that Trent simply wants to create a clearer divide between working on a movie and working on a Nine Inch Nails album. And as silly as it sounds (after all...."what's in a name?"), merely changing the name you're working under can help create that separation.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    On another note, looking at the detail of the tracks downloaded from Amazon - the bitrate varies between 182 and 262. I presumed I was buying CD quality from them, but apparently not. Slightly vexed by that. On speaking to Amazon they confirm that everything is encoded at 256 variable bit rate - 182 is pretty damn variable. Asked them if they'd be able to re-do it but setting file at a standard 256, no dice. So they've refunded and I'll buy a high quality digital offering instead when it's made available.
    FYI, all music downloads from Amazon are MP3, never CD quality. I used to buy digital there fairly regularly, but now if i'm buying lossy downloads I get from google play, as they are 320kbps MP3 instead of VBR. I still buy a lot of CDs, usually when I want lossless and an artifact, something to collect.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Over on amazon, it says track 8, "The Night Drive," is only available on "album only."
    That just means that you can't buy that particular track a la carte, you still get it if you buy the whole album. Wasn't sure from your post if you knew that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I purchased this on TIDAL for the lossless file. Everything downloaded but track 8- The Night Drive. Anyone know if their support will respond in a timely manner? Plus you only get one attempt to download, how stupid is that?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    FYI, all music downloads from Amazon are MP3, never CD quality. I used to buy digital there fairly regularly, but now if i'm buying lossy downloads I get from google play, as they are 320kbps MP3 instead of VBR. I still buy a lot of CDs, usually when I want lossless and an artifact, something to collect.

That just means that you can't buy that particular track a la carte, you still get it if you buy the whole album. Wasn't sure from your post if you knew that.
    No. I thought it meant it didn't come with the download. I'l hold off on buying this, wait for the CD. If this will be another no CD release I'll just go with the download.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vivisection13 View Post
    I purchased this on TIDAL for the lossless file. Everything downloaded but track 8- The Night Drive. Anyone know if their support will respond in a timely manner? Plus you only get one attempt to download, how stupid is that?
    Same here. Track#8 won't download.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, so, about that music!

This is their best-flowing soundtrack, if I remember. I think it does have it's own style, however I'd say the soundtrack it's most closely related to is TGWTDT. There is one complete arc and it's fantastic. The tension is extremely high in certain parts, and their use of dissonance (not noise) and pace is really wonderful. I'll hopefully see the movie soon but I wanted to enjoy this separately.

Actually, all of their soundtracks mean different things to me, detached from the films' plots and such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycguy View Post
    Same here. Track#8 won't download.
    Sucks that yours won't download either, but now I know I'm not crazy.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    It's standard on digital music services for tracks over 10:00 to be available only if you purchase the whole album, and not available for individual purchase.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The mastering issues not withstanding, I'm finding the retail album release to be far more enjoyable than the FYC. I'm a soundtrack nut, and in general, more is always better. But not here! The 12-track album is wonderful. I'm finally seeing the film tomorrow, and I cannot wait to hear the score in a theater.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vivisection13 View Post
    Sucks that yours won't download either, but now I know I'm not crazy.
    I have the same issue. I currently have a ticket open with their support team. It has been escalated to the Content Department for further review. I'll update when I know more.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Listening on Tidal, I'm loving the mournful guitar in The Night Drive

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    No. I thought it meant it didn't come with the download. I'l hold off on buying this, wait for the CD. If this will be another no CD release I'll just go with the download.
    It did come with my download of the album from Amazon.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Want would be the best name for the website background music?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Want would be the best name for the website background music?
    It's now Long Shadows on the Street. Although when it when it first went up I think it was We Forget Who We Are.
    Last edited by simonn; 01-15-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Anyone got an idea I haven't had about buying a lossless digital copy now?
    It's possible that it will show up soon at us.7digital.com. Before the Flood is there. Not sure why Patriots Day hasn't shown up yet. Wide releases usually hit all the digital platforms at the same time. 7digital will be cheaper than Tidal too.

Also, I don't know if you caught the post earlier, but Patriots Day will be released on Vinyl + HD download on nin.com at some point soon. Like Before the Flood, that probably means 24-bit lossless, and nin.com will likely be the only venue to obtain the 24-bit files.

Unfortunately, neither of those options does anything for trying to obtain them NOW.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It did come with my download of the album from Amazon.
    Yeah, that's what I figured after reading the responces. Thanks. Looking forward to hearing this.