Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I haven't had removable media for almost a decade now. I buy the CD's only for the sake of collecting something physical. I'd much rather have the CD replaced with other cool shit in the box.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Not everyone has a record player, and not everyone wants to start paying for a brand new musical collection in a format that's (much) more expensive and has some other downsides (space/fragility/cleaning up). It's not a cop out, it's financially inconvenient to start over. I think you were lucky in buying an old turntable that isn't shit. Every time I see one for sale, it's missing the needle. Also, DVDs are dead? I don't think I know more than two people who own Blu-Ray players around here - and neither of them are really sure what HD is, they just bought the expensive new thing at the store. DVD is still too massively available and accepted to be "dead". Of course us NIN fans have been used to HD and high-end stuff for a few years now, but IMO we're the minority.
    we get it, bro; you're unhappy with the major label and the lack of CDs. I'll burn you a CD and we'll teach them a lesson.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    CDs are cool, this album isn't on CD, some people dislike that fact /topic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man I hope the "DVDs are dead" thing is just a fringe opinion by one guy who owns a bunch of Blu-Rays, because I'm tired of the Next Big Thing trend in electronics. I have no need to see individual facial hairs and beads of sweat on Matthew Fox's face in LOST. Just let me watch my DVDs in peace, entertainment industry.

In other news, I'd like new HTDA to be on CDs, please, even if it's just a limited run. People are always decrying the death of [insert medium here], but hey, even cassettes are coming back for nostalgic hipsters these days!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I remember when CDs first came out. My mother brought home Thriller. (We did not have a CD player yet.) She said they were indestructible, and told me to scrape it over the brick fireplace. You can imagine what happened next.

They said CDs would kill vinyl. You know what happened there. Lord, I remember the MiniDisc. Whatever. We'll move on (or come back full circle).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I don't listen to any music unless it's on a phonograph cylinder

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post

Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    Man I hope the "DVDs are dead" thing is just a fringe opinion by one guy who owns a bunch of Blu-Rays, because I'm tired of the Next Big Thing trend in electronics. I have no need to see individual facial hairs and beads of sweat on Matthew Fox's face in LOST. Just let me watch my DVDs in peace, entertainment industry.

Why does everyone who is against Blu-ray/HD make the "sweat and pores" argument, as if that's the only reason to watch something in HD?
    Last edited by BRoswell; 09-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Removable media is dead. The people who want to sell you shit aren't going to say that though. They need a new format every few years to sell you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I would quite like a cd copy myself but as stated, I'll be happy just hearing it.

I'd prefer all track to be vocal since Mariqueen has got an amazing voice. I'd quite like to hear her do something agressive, just out of curiosity. So far her vocals have been really calm, it would be awesome to hear her belt something out.

So far Robs artwork has been fantastic. I'm loving the picture of them all together and its nice to see Rob getting a nice firm place in the band. He really
    deserves the recognition.

I hope we dont have to wait long for atleast something audio/video from them. Personally I think we'll hear something "soon"

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Trent is the one every single member of this forum is a fan of.
    I'm just here for Mariqueen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    With this video, let's end all worry/discussion about any listening devices/media/otherwise:

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I like the fact that he's making us choose between Vinyl and Download: "Commit or just listen, your choice..."

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I legitimately want it to be released on cassette.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I like the fact that he's making us choose between Vinyl and Download: "Commit or just listen, your choice..."
    This reminded me... Someone asked Rob on Twitter if he should preorder from Amazon, or wait to buy the vinyl from the HTDA store. Rob suggested that he wait... so I assume if you buy the vinyl directly from the band, it will come with a digital download.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    maybe the lack of a CD for the EP is simply Trent being considerate. There will likely be a CD to accompany the full LP release. And he doesn't want us to have to buy the same thing twice. That's ok for vinyl collectors, cuz face it they've got more money than the average fan and/or will buy every little thing he puts out just so their collection is complete.

I miss CDs mostly because living purely digitally robs me of the physical artwork.

@robsheridan "We're viewing this as more of a collective than a band. I'm primarily visuals but it'll make more sense live." This. This part has me almost as excited as the music. But I doubt they'll venture far from LA, not with little ones at home. So I'll never get to see it. Sigh.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    When Trent was in full control of the entire chain, there were no leaks.

With Columbia being involved, we got the name and track listing of the EP well before it was announced. The Amazon pre-order page prematurely displayed the promo photo of the band before the official announcement. Since the EP is not being pressed to CD, one of the major avenues for leakage doesn't exist, but if there are promo CDs made, I think there will be a collector feeding frenzy on those.

I think that if there's a leak of the EP, it would be at most a day or two before release, and even then, that will be a crappy vinyl rip.
    Great observation. Amongst this whole "I Wish There Was a CD / Who Cares That There's Not a CD" argument, I think you hit on what's probably the main reason the band is only doing a vinyl and digital release: a potential leak is much more in control that way. The vinyl option is there for collectors and people who want a physical copy, and then there's always the possibility a CD will be manufactured for the LP, like everyone else has said. The biggest shock about signing to Columbia for me was the question of the leak(s). Trent has been so effective at avoiding that problem that it seemed like a step backwards... but they've definitely found some kind of loophole. Furthermore, signing to a label has to make more sense in that there's a lot less money coming out of the band's own pocket. This new partnership also suggests to me that there's less of a chance we'll get a free EP or LP download, which is fine. We've been spoiled.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    vinyls

yeeeesh

10 characters

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    yeeeesh

10 characters
    If you have to add garbage to your post to make it past ten characters because your post consists entirely of a single word reply to a single word quote, don't bother posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The price of the LP will most likely dictate my choice as I would only purchase it for the artwork.
    I would pay ten bucks at most for a CD copy coupled with digital release.
    Once I have my ears wrapped around some versatile high quality audio files, I hardly care about any physical representations.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It feels like 1990 up in here with all this talk of Compact Discs.

I'm going to go cut myself now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I like getting CDs to continue filling the shelf. Plain and simple. 80s kid, very sentimental. Every CD is at least a memory.

I can imagine it's a relief to go straight digital but I also don't have my digital self well organized, never have. I'll get there someday. Highest quality backups and all. But I still won't get rid of my CDs or stop wanting them.

Pretty understandable, ya fuckers.

(New music format thread...?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell
    Why does everyone who is against Blu-ray/HD make the "sweat and pores" argument, as if that's the only reason to watch something in HD?
    Because no one I've heard argue for Blu Ray has made a convincing argument past the whole "but, look at the mole on his lower left butt cheek! It's like I can reach out and touch it!" I'd shill out more for better quality music, as an audiophile, but not for better quality images - I just don't see the appeal. Same with 3D. Why should I be expected to pay more for a way of viewing a film that won't add anything to it?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Because no one I've heard argue for Blu Ray has made a convincing argument past the whole "but, look at the mole on his lower left butt cheek! It's like I can reach out and touch it!" I'd shill out more for better quality music, as an audiophile, but not for better quality images - I just don't see the appeal. Same with 3D. Why should I be expected to pay more for a way of viewing a film that won't add anything to it?
    If you're watching movies with moley butt-cheeks, BluRay isn't the format for you. But when you're watching something like the Planet Earth series, the difference is worth it, in my opinion. You won't hear me arguing for 3D, but I'm down with higher resolution imagery. BluRay not only has higher resolution, but the compression doesn't create nearly as much artifacting as the MPG compression used on DVDs. Colors are brighter, edges more defined. But hey, if DVD's good enough for you, I'm not going to change your mind. My wife's the same way, doesn't care if it's in HD or not - and if you're sitting on a couch opposite a 32" screen than it doesn't really matter all that much if it's 1080p or 720p - although I can definitely notice 480p vs 720p. Likewise with YouTube - if higher resolution is available, I bump that up. Totally getting off topic though, and I'm wondering if it's worth splitting this talk about media into a separate thread.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    when you're watching something like the Planet Earth series, the difference is worth it, in my opinion.
    Totally agree
    Totally getting off topic though, and I'm wondering if it's worth splitting this talk about media into a separate thread.
    yes

When it comes to the new ep, I have mixed feelings about getting to hear tracks before it comes out. sometimes when a band lets loose a single, or early track of some kind, I listen the shit out of it because I'm so excited to hear something. then when the full release comes I sometimes have the urge to skip that/those track/s. this gets compounded when it happens to be the first track because it's so easy to jump in on track 2.
    The effect may be somewhat lessened if early tracks surface closer to full release.

on the other hand... I WANT TO HEAR NEW HTDA SONGS!!

also, sadly, I still hate the name of this band. the acronym is fine, but i just can't get on board with the full name. feels kinda cheesey, coil reference or not. LOVE the music though

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    If you're watching movies with moley butt-cheeks, BluRay isn't the format for you.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/g...your_eyes.html

BluRay not only has higher resolution, but the compression doesn't create nearly as much artifacting as the MPG compression used on DVDs. Colors are brighter, edges more defined.
    Whatever dude, it's still digital. Nothing will replace that incredible warmth, clarity, and insane visual detail of analog VHS.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    If you want quality analogue performance, you should really be going for IMAX film, not a magnetic tape conversion, sheesh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The site has been redesigned and it makes me think of....Yea...r...Zero

OH MY FUCKING HAMBURGARG!
    Last edited by Indefinite_Cure; 09-23-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefinite_Cure View Post
    The site has been redesigned and it makes me think of....Yea...r...Zero

OH MY FUCKING HAMBURGARG!
    Yea! It's pretty awesome, Rob's good at what he does. I'm really excited to see more.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    When the debut by Them Crooked Vultures came out, it was available on vinyl for about $2 more than a digital download - and the vinyl actually came with a download code, so you could have the album on MP3, too. (In a twist of irony, the MP3s you could download were recorded from playback of the vinyl edition of the album - worst of both worlds!) If it's the year 2012, nearly 2013, and you're posting to a message board from any kind of capable computer, there's really no excuse for you don't have a portable digital playback device that does not require physical media.

You can get a 4gb iPod for $25 shipped on eBay. That's how much The Fragile cost the month it debuted. That's how much one copy of the Deluxe Edition of the Downward Spiral costs.

This Christmas, do yourself a huge favor - get rid of your CD players, if you haven't already. The only CDs I have left are my NIN collection, mostly. They sit in a closet, collecting dust - not unlike my modest vinyl collection.
    I'd disagree here, sir. I still have a CD collection that I began in 2000. That's 12 years. It's my most prized physical collection. Like theimage13 said, I understand that most people don't buy CDs anymore, I admit that most of the times I listen to my music either in an iPod or a computer, but there's nothing like still buying a CD and listening to it on the day of release, AND adding that CD to a growing collection. Like I said, I started this collection 12 years ago, it'd be a ton of money to start all over again with vinyl.

An option would be a LE CD release, a-la The Slip.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 09-24-2012 at 11:11 AM.