Thread: Watchmen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthier View Post
    This is some serious race baiting. I'm not from the US and not progressive or concerned about US politics so it's practically unwatchable to me. I do like Zack's movie and the 30 minutes I watched of the series made me want to watch the movie again. Bring on the downvotes, as always. Hooray for tolerance for different opinions!
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    you're not from the US? cool, racism exists everywhere. you haven't experienced racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia? i envy you. but just because something doesn't directly affect you doesn't mean it doesn't affect other people, and it definitely doesn't mean it's not worth having a conversation about, or having art focus on it to hopefully break down the unfair biases that people have in an effort to help institute change.
    I remember back when I was in high school, I went to the local fair with my friend D (who is black and we will call him D) and my friend Nick and his mom and little brother. We were having fun all night, going on rides together, joking and laughing. We were there for maybe 45 minutes when as we're walking to the next ride, 2 cops stopped us. They began interrogating my friend D because apparently something happened at the fair and I'm guessing it may have involved a black man. But they were trying to pin it on my friend who never left our side that night. My friend's mom stepped in front of D and went off on the cop saying how he has never left her side. The scene was enough to make them walk away. But after that, we left the fair because the fun was ruined and I remember D going from a happy kid at a fair to sitting silently as we drove home.

The next year, another high school kid said he got jumped over by our school. He was known as a douchebag wannabe thug. He was white and his father was a police officer. He was also known of being a racist piece of shit. He claimed a black kid jumped him and pulled out a knife on him. At that time, my friend D was at the school football game with friends. Even with numerous people saying he was there at the game and had no knife on him, he was arrested and eventually charged for the attack.

He went away to juvie for a year. My friend Nick, myself, and, Nick's family went to go get D when he came out. He never had a great family of his own. He lives with his grandmother who could barely act like she gave a shit about him. So he usually stayed with Nick or I. But I remember when he got out and we were hanging out again, laughing and joking around like how we normally did, but you could feel something was off. He stopped us out of nowhere and was like, "I have to ask this, but do you believe I did what they said?" My instant reaction, "I know you. Of course not." He seemed to feel better after that.

Does racism exist? Yes, I learned it all the way back in high school that it exists. You haven't experienced any of this kind of bullshit? Well then, you are one lucky person. But it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

The fact that the Tulsa incident was pretty much scrubbed from history books is enough to show you what it is like here in the US.
    Last edited by neorev; 10-29-2019 at 02:13 PM.