Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I'm withholding comment until audio demonstrations become available. Although at $200 it's pretty hard to go wrong.

The thread on Gearslutz is only 4 hours old and already six pages long, haha.

The MPX16 sampler on the other hand has me glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Electribe ES-1mkII on Craigslist.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    that MPX16 sample has my eye.. I've been looking for something that isn't my MPC500, which can be a right pain to use live.. wonder how it stands up to that.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Looking a bit closer, the MPX16 doesn't have a sequencer, so maybe the ES-1mkII has a future with me yet.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Here you go!
    I suppose I should rephrase my question.

As a beginner to synthesis full stop, I've found the descriptions of PD synthesis inscrutable. For someone more experienced, how does the experience of using and programming a PD synth compare to a more common approach? Is there any particular area of sound that they are more or less suited to? Do you get better/worse/differents results by just messing around?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I suppose I should rephrase my question.

As a beginner to synthesis full stop, I've found the descriptions of PD synthesis inscrutable. For someone more experienced, how does the experience of using and programming a PD synth compare to a more common approach? Is there any particular area of sound that they are more or less suited to? Do you get better/worse/differents results by just messing around?
    this is something that would be easier to understand if you had a handle on frequency modulation synthesis (FM). More common, similar concept, and there's a lot more documentation about the ins and outs of the idea.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Welp. After watching and having a good solid think on it, I've decided I'm going to sell my Boss DR-110 (and my broken Boss DR-110) and trade up for the TR-8. It does the kind of tweaks I wanted to do with the DR-110's sounds - and more, and comes with MIDI and those sweet sweet USB individual outs. I'd only be using it as a module (like the DR-110), and I'm keeping my Quicksilver 606 (much sequencer, wow, etc.) And the Tempest will continue to be my central drum machine, but for them claps and hihats, Roland's got it down. Doesn't hurt having tweaky 808 & 909 kicks & snares too.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    How much is the TR-8 in the States? A link to the review for the AIRA series that was in Jinsai's link for the Akai thingy put the TR-8 at £399, which Google says is $663 US.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    How much is the TR-8 in the States? A link to the review for the AIRA series that was in Jinsai's link for the Akai thingy put the TR-8 at £399, which Google says is $663 US.
    Last I heard, the US List price was going to be $500. Checking Musician's Friend, that is indeed the case, at least for pre-orders. I should be able to get $75-$100 for my DR-110, and maybe $50 for my for-parts DR-110. Maybe $50 for my broken CZ-101. I've got four spare wood panels for my MS-2000 which would probably sell for more than I'd certainly pay for them, and at that point, I'm more than halfway there.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Last I heard, the US List price was going to be $500. Checking Musician's Friend, that is indeed the case, at least for pre-orders. I should be able to get $75-$100 for my DR-110, and maybe $50 for my for-parts DR-110. Maybe $50 for my broken CZ-101. I've got four spare wood panels for my MS-2000 which would probably sell for more than I'd certainly pay for them, and at that point, I'm more than halfway there.
    did you end up picking one up? thoughts?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    did you end up picking one up? thoughts?
    Haven't picked one up yet. I think I'm going to get a Sub 37 first. No one on PHL Craigslist cares about my DR-110 and I haven't been driven enough to post it on eBay.

Enough people are going to buy TR-8s that it probably makes more sense to buy one used. I really wish they weren't so green.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I just sent off an email inquiry about pre-ordering a Sub 37, potentially at a discount. If I can't get the discount, then the Korg ESX-1 SD is what will replace my CZ-101, and the Moog will be a next-year purchase. Gotta get back to making music, though.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    both of these are steals
    https://reverb.com/item/111540-moog-sub-phatty-2013
    https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=phatty+moog
    Damn if I had a little more scratch then to just scratch my ass, I would be all over it.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm still not seeing a justification for me (personally) to get the TR-8. I think I can still make do with my Gold Baby 808 sample banks. Lately, I've been getting more and more into building stuff in Reaktor, and that's entirely taking up my free music-time lately. For a while I was just intimidated by the complexity and the initial learning curve, but now I'm getting interested in designing my own instruments suited to a specific purpose. That, and using my iPad lemur interface w/ the iConnectivity box I just bought to design control interfaces for those Reaktor ensembles, I feel like it's bridging a gap that's always made software feel less "real" for me.

Every now and again I still dream of picking up an Elektron Machinedrum, but then I disappear down the Reaktor rabbit hole again.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Moving house in a month or so, thus I've had to pack my virtually untouched xiosynth. I probably wouldn't have done anything with it in that time anyway, but the potentiality all gone is rather frustrating.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Moving house in a month or so, thus I've had to pack my virtually untouched xiosynth. I probably wouldn't have done anything with it in that time anyway, but the potentiality all gone is rather frustrating.
    Yeah, but you'll have it for when you do make time to work with it. I just went through a fairly unusual burst of creative activity, and spent a lot of time using gear that otherwise sits dormant. I have a handful of guitars - a $1 Martin D15 (thrown away by a shop for having a split in the back), an Epi Les Paul, a PRS Santana SE (for driving my DUI'd guitarist to practice for a year), and a Danelectro baritone guitar. They're usually idle, sitting on the guitar stand behind me. But sometimes I have a week where I just want to riff, or play some baritone surf guitar licks, and it's right there.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Yeah, but you'll have it for when you do make time to work with it. I just went through a fairly unusual burst of creative activity, and spent a lot of time using gear that otherwise sits dormant. I have a handful of guitars - a $1 Martin D15 (thrown away by a shop for having a split in the back), an Epi Les Paul, a PRS Santana SE (for driving my DUI'd guitarist to practice for a year), and a Danelectro baritone guitar. They're usually idle, sitting on the guitar stand behind me. But sometimes I have a week where I just want to riff, or play some baritone surf guitar licks, and it's right there.
    Exactly. You never know when some gear you have will surprise you. My first "real" synth I bought was a Quasmidi Sirius, and so I learned it in and out for years as it was all I had. As I moved on and acquired more gear, I used it less and less... and then, years later after getting (and leaning on) all this awesome powerful equipment, I realized that the track I was working on needed that synth... and suddenly I realized how much I loved that synth, and I remembered how well I knew that synth. Now I use it in some way on almost every track I make.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-22-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Picked this up today

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I want to get the new Roland Aira voice transformer, but run a guitar through it. Friend's bandmate bought the TR-8, and they LOVE IT.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I'm not usually big on alternative controllers, but this is really speaking to me:
    http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/0...e-music-hands/

I've been so bored with the guitar for months now, and keyboards were never really my thing, but I think I could really get into this.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Interesting machine, but first run is going to be $1,895. Ouch...

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Interesting machine, but first run is going to be $1,895. Ouch...
    That's for the Madrona Labs Soundplane (as I imagine we all gawked at in Alessandro's rig in the ACL NIN performance video) I don't think they've got a price for the Linnstrument yet... but I would not be surprised if it was in the same range as the Soundplane.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I officially put down my deposit for the Sub 37 today, and I have to tell my fellow ETS synth nerds. SQUEE, A MOOG!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Has anyone tried the Korg Volca Bass? I play a few instruments and thought it would be fun to pick up a synth. I love it. Supper affordable analogue synth (compared to others I looked at), only 250 here in Canada. In the States is quite a bit less. It's opened up a whole new world to me, I just spend my time reading about analogue synths now.

And congrats on the Moog! I heard those were fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Has anyone tried the Korg Volca Bass? I play a few instruments and thought it would be fun to pick up a synth. I love it. Supper affordable analogue synth (compared to others I looked at), only 250 here in Canada. In the States is quite a bit less. It's opened up a whole new world to me, I just spend my time reading about analogue synths now.
    The Volca Bass is a no brainer if you don't already have something similar. My only complaint about the unit I messed with was that it seemed to be a little noisy, but for that price? It's an awesome bargain. I'm still considering picking one up.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The Volca Bass is a no brainer if you don't already have something similar. My only complaint about the unit I messed with was that it seemed to be a little noisy, but for that price? It's an awesome bargain. I'm still considering picking one up.
    I'm still a synth nooby, just got it about 2-3 weeks ago. It's like when I first learnt guitar 10 or more years ago, I just fell in love. Can't wait to fully explore the world of synth.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    FYI i'm selling a Mopho. in great shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201094795175

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    When I'm playing drums & drum machines in Up Your Cherry, I usually brought a shitty Crate amp with me. You know the one, that one someone gave you for free, that you've been keeping around because it never hurts to have an extra amp kicking around. I feel like everyone's had the free, hand-me-down shitty Crate amp. Well, last night I was window shopping on Craigslist, and saw a Roland Keyboard Combo amp up for grabs at $360. Mind you, I was actually eyeing up the Roland KC-150 a few months ago - Musician's Friend had a couple of used KC-150s for sale for about $400 shipped. They had obvious but fixable damage to them, both in the same place on the front of the amp. Anyway, I'd been saving for a little bit, and I liked the idea of buying locally, so I changed my status from Window Shopping to Actual Shopping.

I went to pick it up today, and when I pulled up, I thought "Wow, that's a lot bigger than I thought it would be." I brought my DR-110 along to plug in and test with, to make sure all four channels in the four-channel mixer worked, which they did. The guy was asking $360 firm, and I hate haggling anyway, so I handed over the cash, heaved the amp into my car, and went home. Just after unloading the amp, I went to band practice. Then came home and planted some trees and bushes. Then got dinner. Then went downstairs to take a closer look.

Turns out I'd just bought a KC-550, a 180 watt amp which Roland calls their flagship keyboard amp, and which retails for nearly $300 more than I paid for it.

Tomorrow, I'm sending an email out to the company I work for - it's time to pass on the torch - someone else will be receiving my hand-me-down shitty Crate amp, and now my Tempest, 606 and ER-1 will resound with clarity at gigs, without me having to unplug and plug each one in as necessary. Woo!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)