Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2266

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Today is my birthday and my girl loves to bake and cook. She made this cake for my birthday and Halloween. Has sugarglass shards and is a chocolate ganache cake. Some would think it's cool here.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Today is my birthday and my girl loves to bake and cook. She made this cake for my birthday and Halloween. Has sugarglass shards and is a chocolate ganache cake. Some would think it's cool here.

happy birthday..awesome cake! she's a keeper.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just watched Halloween (1978) again tonight and I NEVER realized that Laurie stabs Michael while in the closet?!? It is like my brain overlooked it because of the emphasis on the wire hanger all these years. Maybe I realized once in the past, but tonight it was pretty jarring for me lol.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Nocturne, from the Blumhouse series, was reasonable, but more as like a twilight zone episode than a movie, if that makes sense?

I hope the other three are good.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Nocturne, from the Blumhouse series, was reasonable, but more as like a twilight zone episode than a movie, if that makes sense?

I hope the other three are good.
    I think that was also the general consensus for their Into the Dark output on Hulu. The ones that were decent would have been better served as 45-60 minute "episodes".

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Really digging The Haunting of Bly Manor! Up to episode 5 next.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Really digging The Haunting of Bly Manor! Up to episode 5 next.
    Does it have a slow start like I keep hearing? Going to jump into this soon.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Does it have a slow start like I keep hearing? Going to jump into this soon.
    For what its worth I've been hating on it over in the Netflix thread this week. I can't recommend anyone waste 9 hours on it. But some seem to enjoy it so to each their own. I will say, if you are there for the horror, you will certainly be disappointed. If you like your horror stories overly explained and wrapped up in a neat little bow then you will love it.

It has a slow start, a slow middle, and a slow ending. Thats not always bad, but in this case I think it is. The acting is great though, I'll give it that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Not only is this one of the most disturbing and well made horror films I have ever seen, but Toni Collette's performance is fucking amazing. This one is sticking with me...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Several scenes from that movie have vividly come back to me in the middle of the night on various occasions.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So what's NEW that's GOOD?
    What's the hot new indie horror film?

I'm at a loss, lately.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Several scenes from that movie have vividly come back to me in the middle of the night on various occasions.
    Yes, there are a lot that I keep going over in my head and the more I think about one scene, another disturbing one I completely forgot about comes rushing in. Not only that, the wide shots at the beginning of scenes (Like the intro) makes it feel as if they are in the models that Annie makes and we are observing them like they do with the miniatures. Being in her point of view the entire film not only makes us as confused as she is, but I completely felt for her when she was telling her husband that she didn't know what she did when it came to the seance.

You think the film is going one way and it completely derails any ideas you may have conjured up in your head while trying to figure out what is really going on. I have to give this a second run for sure.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Not only is this one of the most disturbing and well made horror films I have ever seen, but Toni Collette's performance is fucking amazing. This one is sticking with me...

Absolutely. That and Midsommar are both so unsettling, in different ways. Amazing director.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Absolutely. That and Midsommar are both so unsettling, in different ways. Amazing director.
    I have yet to see Midsommar and hear mixed opinions. After seeing this, I have to see it now just because of how good Ari Aster is.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I have yet to see Midsommar and hear mixed opinions. After seeing this, I have to see it now just because of how good Ari Aster is.
    Think of the horror of Hereditary but instead of being dark and claustrophobic it's very wide and bright and open, but still disturbing even in that setting.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I'd like to add to the pile on of praise for Hereditary. It really does get under the skin and its not often a horror movie does that these days. I'd put it as the second best modern horror film I've seen behind The VVitch.

Midsommar is a different beast entirely. I saw the theatrical cut in the cinema and have since seen the director's cut. I'd advise going with the theatrical as imo, both are overstuffed with boring melodrama but the directors cut waters it down a bit too much for me (was the dissertation side story even necessary?). It is nowhere near as good a horror film as Hereditary but it is still very much worth the watch. The opening is just crushing and I thought it was the best part of the film. I think even Ari Aster had said he considers it more a fairy tale with horror elements and that feels correct to me. Hereditary is full on horror.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Yes, quite naturally, Hereditary was stunnner. Midsommar was fucking great. Lighthouse was incredible.

But, where is the NEW thing?

I've not found anything that's really that good, lately, except She's Allergic to Cats, and that was more of a short film.

Are there any new, decent horror films?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    I'd like to add to the pile on of praise for Hereditary. It really does get under the skin and its not often a horror movie does that these days. I'd put it as the second best modern horror film I've seen behind The VVitch.

Midsommar is a different beast entirely. I saw the theatrical cut in the cinema and have since seen the director's cut. I'd advise going with the theatrical as imo, both are overstuffed with boring melodrama but the directors cut waters it down a bit too much for me (was the dissertation side story even necessary?). It is nowhere near as good a horror film as Hereditary but it is still very much worth the watch. The opening is just crushing and I thought it was the best part of the film. I think even Ari Aster had said he considers it more a fairy tale with horror elements and that feels correct to me. Hereditary is full on horror.
    Yea, I watched a few spoiler free reviews after I watched a bunch of breakdown videos for Hereditary (Really didn't need it, I have a habit of watching these sorts of videos after something I really like) and actually caught a few things I missed. Midsommar gave me that same uncomfortable feeling just from the trailer so I'm going to dive right into it this weekend and the shots look absolutely gorgeous in that film like Erneuert said above.

May I add, I was using headphones for Hereditary, so they only enhanced the experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Elevenism
    Unfortunately, no. With the lack of films coming out this year and delays... Everything is pretty dried up. If anyone finds some stuff, send it here!
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 10-22-2020 at 12:16 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Yea, I watched a few spoiler free reviews after I watched a bunch of breakdown videos for Hereditary (Really didn't need it, I have a habit of watching these sorts of videos after something I really like) and actually caught a few things I missed. Midsommar gave me that same uncomfortable feeling just from the trailer so I'm going to dive right into it this weekend and the shots look absolutely gorgeous in that film like Erneuert said above.
    Yes, I usually end up doing that too for films I love. If for no other reason than to gain more perspective. I've only a few friends who even care about film out here in the real world so I love watching other's opinions even if I know my own take on any given film is pretty set. I certainly wasn't up to speed on Paimon lore before Hereditary and even though you don't really need to know for the film to be effective its still cool.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Yes, quite naturally, Hereditary was stunnner. Midsommar was fucking great. Lighthouse was incredible.

I've not found anything that's really that good, lately, except She's Allergic to Cats, and that was more of a short film.

I think the problem is twofold. There really aren't any movies being released 2020 including horror being one. The other issue is that if you want another VVitch or Hereditary you may have to wait a while. So far, I'd say those two are this century's The Shining and The Exorcist. It's going to be hard to beat them I think. Even the Lighthouse and Midsommar (by those same directors) don't really achieve what they accomplished in horror, even though they are excellent films all around, imo.

If you're a horror nut you have probably already seen these but I'll rattle off a few titles I enjoyed but didn't even know about when they were released. Other than the two above, my favorite one I've seen has been The Blackcoats's Daughter. Osgood Perkins never gets mentioned with Eggers or Aster but that film is near perfect to me. There's also House of the Devil from 2009 which I didn't know about until a couple years ago. It celebrates 80's horror cinematography while the story is more in line with serious 70s horror films. Honestly, those are the only two off the top of my head I even feel comfortable recommending to a fan of Hereditary/VVitch because films like those really are that rare these days.

While we're on the topic, I'd be curious to know how others here would rank the 4 Eggers/Aster films so far. For me I'd probably go
    1.The VVitch
    2. Hereditary
    3. The Lighthouse
    4. Midsommar

And, not sure if this was already mentioned but I also recently stumbled on this podcast conversation between the two directors if anyone's as much of a nerd as me...

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6i2BDdUIYdN7hcVytlQLus
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 10-22-2020 at 03:15 AM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

The sequel to Terrifier is coming out soon. Yes, laugh at me but I’m looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    The sequel to Terrifier is coming out soon. Yes, laugh at me but I’m looking forward to it.
    As am I. That's a totally different kind of film than the ones mentioned above though. The first one and All Hallows Eve were just plain fun. I love Art the clown. Too bad they had to push it back from halloween this year because of covid. I think its not going to be out until at least January now.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    While we're on the topic, I'd be curious to know how others here would rank the 4 Eggers/Aster films so far. For me I'd probably go
    1.The VVitch
    2. Hereditary
    3. The Lighthouse
    4. Midsommar

And, not sure if this was already mentioned but I also recently stumbled on this podcast conversation between the two directors if anyone's as much of a nerd as me...

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6i2BDdUIYdN7hcVytlQLus
    Same ranking here.

-----------------------------------------------

Ari Aster describes Midsommar as a "bad acid trip". Everything is bright and cheery on purpose. There's just something not quite right...

The cliff scene has a Spoiler: very memorable face-smashing

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

i finally watched Us last night and HOLY FUCK i loved it.

otherwise i've been (mostly) watching older films. there's a lot of good stuff out there. you should follow me on letterboxd! i log everything i watch in my diary (and i always give ratings, if not also short reviews).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I caught Host on Shudder after all the rcommendations, and it was great.
    I've been hesitant to watch that one because from the trailer it just looked like Unfriended but on Zoom. So it was actually good?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    As I do every year, I've been watching a whole bunch of movies, a mix of old and new, for Halloween. So far the best movies I've watched have been The Invitation, Veronica, Les Diabolique, and HP Lovecraft's Necronomicon. The worst? The Turning. I heard nothing but bad things about that movie, but I still wanted to check it out. And wow it was a stinker. It was boring, but what really pissed me off was the confusing and poorly executed ending. If you want a good adaptation of The Turn of the Screw, watch the Innocents.

Going back to the Hereditary convo, that's one of the few movies that got me. Everything about that movie was so unsettling. It truly shook me and left me feeling so uncomfortable and wrong afterward. Unfortunately I can't say the same about Midsommar. It was okay mainly just bizarre, but for me it was a prettier, crazier version of The Wicker Man. I got nothing to add about Witch and The Lighthouse aside from they're fantastic. Really enjoyed those movies. The Lighthouse is so mind boggling! One of those movies you watch several times and still have lots of questions.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    I've been hesitant to watch that one because from the trailer it just looked like Unfriended but on Zoom. So it was actually good?
    i haven't seen Unfriended but i LOVED Host. fun, taut, and genuinely scary. i'd highly recommend watching on your computer with headphones to feel like you're on the call with them.