Page 47 of 69 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 2069

Thread: Nine Inch Nails - 2017 Live Tour Discussion - SPOILERS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    dont get me wrong I still had a great time, but compared to tours past it feels....underfunded.
    This "tour" is five shows. Of course it's underfunded.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    This "tour" is five shows. Of course it's underfunded.
    Missy Elliott did one show and her one show did not feel that way.

on the plus side, NIN's lightshow can only go up from here...
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 07-24-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post

The Only Time breakdown needs to fuck off. It was cool for the first few years, but it's just boring now.
    I would kill to hear The Only Time in full, but also enjoy the short version I do get, lol. Drop Closer and bring back The Only Time!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    They usually have a more minimal approach to their festival shows.

The way I view these 5 shows is that he's doing them to build & save funds for the 2018 tour.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I like TOT breakdown in Closer, and hopes it stays that way. Closer was IMO a very underwhelming live song prior to that. Too much of it was pre-recorded and lacked intensity compared to the the rest of the set list, which is important since it's NIN's best known song.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    Wasn't the Wave Goodbye Tour very simple visually but with wonderful setlists like TDS in full? I'll take setlist rotation over visuals that make the setlist almost 100% static. Little selfish by me since I probably won't attend any concert so all I have is the internet. But the music matters much much more, no doubt.

I go to lots of shows and I completely agree with you. The best ones have been where the lighting is merely complimentary.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Two shows into the tour, and they've so far only played two songs from each EP. I thought that all the NTAE songs could make their way into live shows in some form or another. "The Background World" sounds like it could also be pulled off live if they handled the loop a bit differently. Maybe they're being saved for a future arena tour, in which they're allowed to play for more than 90 minutes and change.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    at the bakersfield show Tront totally botched the lyrics on Closer, "you are the honey, inside your hive"

also , like most of us, im burnt out on the only time breakdown, please bring the original back!
    @bakersfield i caught this lyric inconsistency too.
    and I have to say that Reptile at bakersfield sounded as intense as it did seeing live NIN n Bowie in 1995. I had goosebumps and momentary deja vu in bakersfield.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I'll be surprised if he doesn't play The Idea of you during that short festival run.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I'll be surprised if he doesn't play The Idea of you during that short festival run.
    I'm glad to hear other people think this, because - to me - TIOU seems like a no-brainer as far as their new songs they should debut live. From the first time I listened to it I figured it would be a setlist staple. I'll be very sad if I don't get it at either Panorama or Riot Fest.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Was THTF a hit single or something? How did it achieve monumental status in TRs mind, that it HAS to be played every single show? I dont remember it causing much of a ripple when it was released. More people were shocked at how poppy it was and how bulked up TR was in the video than actually digging the song

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    I'll be very sad if I don't get it at either Panorama or Riot Fest.
    I'm expecting Panorama to be similar to the California shows. They might shake things up for the autumn shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Was THTF a hit single or something? How did it achieve monumental status in TRs mind, that it HAS to be played every single show? I dont remember it causing much of a ripple when it was released. More people were shocked at how poppy it was and how bulked up TR was in the video than actually digging the song
    It did well internationally. I think it's their highest charting track in a few territories.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I'm expecting Panorama to be similar to the California shows. They might shake things up for the autumn shows.
    Same, but I'm holding out hope anyhow.
    I expect Panorama to have a pretty tame setlist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I suppose you were nowhere near Orlando and/or didn't have the radio on a whole lot during With Teeth-era, when it was overplayed to hell and back. It's also one of only two NIN songs to make the Top 40 in the United States, the other being "The Day The World Went Away" of all songs!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yeah, that song/album bred a whole new generation of NIN fans. I meet a lot of people who heard THTF on the radio, bought WT, and then fell down the NIN rabbit hole from there. I've seen it at every NIN show I've been to since 2005 (including one set that was only 5 songs long), and it's always a low point for me, but I keep reminding myself that there are a ton of people for whom hearing that song live is the equivalent of many of us hearing early NIN songs that we grew up listening to.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Yeah, that song/album bred a whole new generation of NIN fans. I meet a lot of people who heard THTF on the radio, bought WT, and then fell down the NIN rabbit hole from there. I've seen it at every NIN show I've been to since 2005 (including one set that was only 5 songs long), and it's always a low point for me, but I keep reminding myself that there are a ton of people for whom hearing that song live is the equivalent of many of us hearing early NIN songs that we grew up listening to.
    It does seem to be the song that bridges the gap between hardcore Fragile loving NIN fans and post 2005 NIN fans....the hardcores groan when that song comes on and the newer fans love it...Its kind of the "Lets Dance' of the NIN discography

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Looks like THTF will hit an even 500 plays by the end of 2017 and surpass Sin (barring any surprises, of course).

(credit to nintourhistory.com)
    Last edited by Toadflax; 07-24-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sin would be great with this lineup, IMO.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    For now. More later.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    It still gets a lot of radio play. As much as people bitch about it, the overall concert crowd likes the song. One of the more "engaging" songs in the set, probably only second to HLAH.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    For now. More later.

Sweet pic. Are you not on At Ease anymore?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    If we're sick of hearing these songs, how does the band feel about playing these songs over and over and over again? Doesn't it get boring for them as well?
    Oh, I get it: those are their money-maker songs. The ones that put asses in seats and the ones that all the casual concert-going fans know from the radio and Mtv from back in the day.

I think every hardcore NIN fan's dream is a tour light on visuals and lights, and heavy on deep cuts. The 2009 WG NYC shows are a perfect example of this; lean, to the bone, and no bullshit. And even those shows had the standards sprinkled in.

It's just funny to see Trent going so against the grain on these new EPs, but it's business as usual live. This is probably just a festival thing. Show up, play the hits, get paid. Hopefully we'll get a real tour next year and the setlist will be much more varied..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Sweet pic. Are you not on At Ease anymore?

Thanks. Apparently banned for defending my rights to my own video content on youtube. And you cant like join anymore with a new account either. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Oh, I get it: those are their money-maker songs. The ones that put asses in seats and the ones that all the casual concert-going fans know from the radio and Mtv from back in the day.

I think every hardcore NIN fan's dream is a tour light on visuals and lights, and heavy on deep cuts. The 2009 WG NYC shows are a perfect example of this; lean, to the bone, and no bullshit. And even those shows had the standards sprinkled in.

It's just funny to see Trent going so against the grain on these new EPs, but it's business as usual live. This is probably just a festival thing. Show up, play the hits, get paid. Hopefully we'll get a real tour next year and the setlist will be much more varied..

They should get a pass for popping their heads up for a few shows. I mean, you know Trent probably gets offers constantly, and its just a matter of timing and what he wants to do. the timing was right, and they were doing this stuff cause they could. you know theyll be getting into fine tuning whatever is coming for next year after the last show. So why not show off some new material, see what works and go from there? nothing wrong with what theyre doing. I just thinking for most of us, having unrealistic expectations for the shows is the problem. Let em do what they do, if its the same old, fine. I mean, why arent we just glad there are some shows, and its accessible for most fans? Imagine if it was just small shows like Bakersfield and a festival setlist? Wouldnt you be crying bloody murder? Sometimes you just gotta enjoy it, and leave em be. We can be more critical next year, for now, just take it easy and enjoy it.
    Last edited by suprefan; 07-24-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    For now. More later.

Did you film any of the songs at FYF?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Pretty good YouTube vid of the Bowie cover and The Lovers

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Pretty good YouTube vid of the Bowie cover and The Lovers
    I was just about to post that user's whole playlist:

It looks like the taper was behind and to the left of me, so I didn't have to deal with them having a camera up the whole time, but it's funny how last night I would've been like, "put your fucking camera down, you fucking piece of shit," while today I'm like, "ooh, pretty videos."

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

It looks like the taper was behind and to the left of me, so I didn't have to deal with them having a camera up the whole time, but it's funny how last night I would've been like, "put your fucking camera down, you fucking piece of shit," while today I'm like, "ooh, pretty videos."
    I have that exact same hypocrisy issue but I've come to terms with the fact that I want the footage!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Imagine if it was just small shows like Bakersfield and a festival setlist? Wouldnt you be crying bloody murder?
    I'm seeing them in six days at Panorama.

And I've seen them so many times already, I'm probably good for life. When the opportunity arises and I can make the trip, I go for the fan in me. Doesn't matter if it's a one-off or a tour leg.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

being 5'2" and rail not mattering much to me at the bakersfield show (circumstances, not blasphemy) i found most of my stage viewing came from the iPhone of the guy in front of me filming the show. every time he put down the phone i went back to closing my eyes and jumping up and down....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    They should get a pass for popping their heads up for a few shows. I mean, you know Trent probably gets offers constantly, and its just a matter of timing and what he wants to do. the timing was right, and they were doing this stuff cause they could. you know theyll be getting into fine tuning whatever is coming for next year after the last show. So why not show off some new material, see what works and go from there? nothing wrong with what theyre doing. I just thinking for most of us, having unrealistic expectations for the shows is the problem. Let em do what they do, if its the same old, fine. I mean, why arent we just glad there are some shows, and its accessible for most fans? Imagine if it was just small shows like Bakersfield and a festival setlist? Wouldnt you be crying bloody murder? Sometimes you just gotta enjoy it, and leave em be. We can be more critical next year, for now, just take it easy and enjoy it.
    Yeah, we all know that festival shows tend to be 'greatest hits' shows. That's why they're there, after all. I never really expect much out of them except to see TR & Co. get warmed up and get a taste of what the next tour is going to be like. Everyone that gets pissed off because Trent played THTF, HLAH or Hurt again should really know better by now.

Besides, familiarity breeds contempt, anyway. The Big Come Down, Reptile, and Down In It were all considered 'rare' for a long time until a tour had them in their set list consistently. And you can't deny that March of the Pigs rips the roof off EVERY time, even if it is a staple of more or less every show ever. So yanno.

When I go to a show after a release, I look for the new stuff. That's why I tend to avoid the festivals (that and the general environment/price) because I know what I'd be getting.