Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Roseanne - Cancelled

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Roseanne - Cancelled

I wasn't super excited about the revival as I thought it would be all pro-Trump and excuse his awful presidency, but I found the first two episodes to be very enjoyable with some solid laughs. Roseanne Conner was pro-Trump, but I felt it was more to give the viewer an idea of why someone in her situation would support him, rather than actively support him or his policies. Love seeing Darlene as a parent too.

BTW, what happened to David, Darlene's husband?
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-29-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Ok here's my two cents on this, as I've seen a lot of negative backlash on it.

I grew up with the Connors. I was born a year before the first season aired. My mom was a lower to middle class single mother who watched Roseanne all the time and never missed an episode. It also felt like the one show on the TV that GOT IT about being poor in the middle of the country. I always heavily related to it. So it genuinely feels really nice to have the show back, and felt like the cheesy fake family reunion that it technically is. I think it felt natural that Roseanne and Dan would be Trump people, despite the fact that the characters more than likely would not have supported someone like that during the original run. There are quite a few people out there who are complaining that the show glossed over the importance of normalizing the two of them supporting Trump, and turning Jackie into a cliche or whatever. But here's the thing. It's a fuckin comedy sitcom. I think it's a bit unfair to expect the writers on that show to get Emmy level deep with the writing in terms of fully exploring the mentality of supporting Trump. If anything, presenting the show in a somewhat glossy version of the "here's a blue collar Trump supporting family who is fighting with their liberal relatives", will make it easier for the MAGA crowd to maybe actually find some empathy in the show. Who knows, maybe there'll be some MAGA people out there who know that Roseanne in real life supports him and therefor watch the show and are warmed on the idea of supporting an LGBTQ member of their family or something like that. Think about how many families in America are in the same situation as the family in the show. While my girlfriend and I were watching it, she kept saying "god, this is my family". I told her "Everyone watching this, no matter what side, is thinking the same thing".

So as far as I'm concerned so far it seems like Roseanne is the first show that seems to be genuinely attempting to try to bridge the gap between the division. So I can't see the point of all these Buzzfeed ass "think pieces" about how fucking awful the new episodes were and how you shouldn't support it just because of Roseanne Barr's own personal opinions outside of the show.

But I don't know, what do I know, it's just a sitcom.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I wasn't going to watch it when I heard about Roseanne's Trump tendencies, but the reviews are coming in that it's not what I feared, so I'm going to give it a shot.

The first two episodes are downloading as we speak. I'm a little bit hesitant, because I read that the way they bridge the gap is that Roseanne forgives Jackie for voting for Hillary. That worries me, Hillary was a million miles more qualified than the asshat Roseanne voted for, and even if she weren't, there would still have been nothing wrong with voting for her.

There are some assumptions in that idea that I'm not comfortable with, and something built into that which cause me to worry that this show is going to require us to believe that the conspiracy theories that Trump throws out are real if we want to be able to suspend belief and enjoy the show. And that worries me.

I'll be watching likely tomorrow, so I will come back and chat then.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    My wife and I loved it. I was able to watch the show in its original syndication, but my wife was not allowed as a kid. So i sat with her to watch the original episodes. Along with my in law.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my problem is that roseanne (in real life) isn't just a trump supporter, she's a proponent of "pizzagate", a transphobe, and she once dressed up like hitler and baked burnt "jew cookies," all of which is not fucking funny. she's a giant asshole and i don't care about her show. if you wanna watch it, that's fine. but seeing as the fucking president called her on the phone to congratulate her about her ratings but can't be bothered to call the families of fallen soldiers, i'm gonna say no.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    ABC made Roseanne delete a tweet where she may have claimed that David Hogg, one of the Parkland survivors, was a secret Nazi. This happened two days ago.

https://www.aol.com/article/entertai...vist/23399015/

Also, this is the same network that didn't air the Black-ish episode about taking a knee because they thought it would be too controversial. Black-ish, of course, is a great TV show that does more to represent the America we live in today than all of these old white people who had a TV show 20 years ago.

I'm good on this TV show. No thanks.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I watched the 2 episodes that have aired, I won't be watching the rest.

Her character on the show isn't as insane as she is in real life, but I still don't want to watch this crap. The jokes are mostly just Roseanne throwing out put-downs, and acting like she's better than everyone else.

Why does her family put up with this? Why do they enable her? There's really no good answer to this question. In one of the early parts Jackie is talking about how her life was so much better during the year that she wasn't around Roseanne, and Roseanne just continues to put her down. I grew up with a mother who constantly acted like Roseanne is on the show, and was also very conservative minded. Somehow even my mother managed to recognize that something was wrong with Trump though, and she even admitted that she was only voting conservative and voicing conservative viewpoints because it made everyone else mad.

Even still, after living through this, why would I want to watch it on TV?

It's probably a fairly accurate depiction of what life with a die-hard Trump supporter is like, but I stopped visiting my own family for a period of time because of this sort of behaviour, and I'm anxious about visiting them even now. Why would I watch a fictional family do it on TV when I barely put up with it from my own family?

I get that the family is all coming back together, and they're having some warm and fuzzy moments, which leads people to believe that it might be trying to bridge the gap, but it's really not. It's taking a situation where one character is constantly insulting the others, and the others are just enabling her. That's not a healthy family life. This isn't bridging a gap in a healthy manner.
    Last edited by M1ke; 03-31-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    ABC made Roseanne delete a tweet where she may have claimed that David Hogg, one of the Parkland survivors, was a secret Nazi. This happened two days ago.

https://www.aol.com/article/entertai...vist/23399015/
    Did this happen before or after ABC decided to renew the show?

EDIT: Yikes so it happened before the first two episodes had even aired. Someone put a muzzle on that woman!
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-30-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    it left such an odd taste in my mouth. i still watch the youtube vids of roseanne and jackie beat ... what the fuck happened?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    it left such an odd taste in my mouth. i still watch the youtube vids of roseanne and jackie beat ... what the fuck happened?
    what i don't understand is how it wound up IN your mouth.
    did you put it on a dvd and try to eat it, or a flash drive?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Man, I loved it....

I wasn't aware of any of the controversy surrounding it, and I don't much care. The show made me laugh and feel nostalgia without seeming to wishy washy.

I'm particularly fond of the new kid (aside from the bad acting). Whilst his personality is nothing like mine, I used to wear dresses and stuff at school and the way they handle it on this show is pretty awesome

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    its pretty much America. soooo

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    what i don't understand is how it wound up IN your mouth.
    did you put it on a dvd and try to eat it, or a flash drive?
    You should be writing sitcoms.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Man, I loved it....

I wasn't aware of any of the controversy surrounding it, and I don't much care. The show made me laugh and feel nostalgia without seeming to wishy washy.

I'm particularly fond of the new kid (aside from the bad acting). Whilst his personality is nothing like mine, I used to wear dresses and stuff at school and the way they handle it on this show is pretty awesome
    Agreed. Politics aside, it was an enjoyable hour of my life and I plan to continue watching it, and I rarely watch sitcoms besides Seinfeld.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    A good review of episode 3.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...e-harris-abuse

I enjoyed the episode, but the writer brings up some good points.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Roseanne was one of the few big sitcoms to ever get ported over to the UK (Friends, Cheers and Fraser being the other really big ones i remember, i don't ever remember seeing Seinfeld advertised on UK TV!) and it didn't do anything for me when i was little, so i have little to no motivation (given her actual real life behaviour) to seek this out. Pass.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    One thing I don't get. Harris (Darlene's oldest daughter) is 15, which means she would have been born in '02/'03, but she was actually born on the show in 1997, which would now make her 21.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    One thing I don't get. Harris (Darlene's oldest daughter) is 15, which means she would have been born in '02/'03, but she was actually born on the show in 1997, which would now make her 21.
    Worst.Show.Ever!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    its pretty much America. soooo
    Ha! No, it's not.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don’t know how anyone could or can get past Roseanne’s TERRIBLE acting. Jesus, high school drama club members are Oscar contenders compared to her.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah her acting is definitely terrible, not a whole lot of good acting going on here in general.

Episode 3 wasn't very good, only chuckled a couple times. Might not be sticking around on this one.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yeah, Ep 3 was a drop in quality. But I'll stick around for a few more episodess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I grew up watching this beloved white trash family, and felt a connection with the working class paycheck to paycheck type family dynamic. I've watch the first three episodes, and I could do without this revival. I'm going to keep watching to see how it unfolds, but so far it has me wondering if this is nothing but them riding the nostalgia train... (twin peaks, X-files, Will & grace, fuller house etc to a lesser extent). I find it odd that they are really driving the fact that they have family members of different ethnicities and possible gender identity issues, that part feels forced a little, and then we've got Rosie & Dan talking about whooping on the bratty kids behinds. It's all very strange.

I didn't really enjoy the twin peaks or X-files revivals, and could do without them as well. Blasphemy I know.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Human garbage pile Roseanne hurled yet another racist tweet today. This time at a former Obama adviser. One of the head writers, Wanda Sykes, just announced she's not returning...I suspect more dominoes will fall shortly.

The ABC offices must be......busy this morning.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    They should write her out of her own show. She's always been the least interesting character, at least in my opinion.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Human garbage pile Roseanne hurled yet another racist tweet today. This time at a former Obama adviser. One of the head writers, Wanda Sykes, just announced she's not returning...I suspect more dominoes will fall shortly.

The ABC offices must be......busy this morning.
    wanda sykes was writing for the show? that's...really surprising.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My bad. Producer apparently.

Still though....I'm as surprised as you that she'd even want to be involved.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    They should write her out of her own show. She's always been the least interesting character, at least in my opinion.
    I thought of that when I heard this as well...which led me to think about John Goodman. Although it means nothing in 2018, his public persona has been pretty much on the level. I wonder what he and the other cast think? Would love to see the bomb drop of one of the main cast just say 'fuck it.' and bounce.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm like.. dying to know what Sara Gilbert has to say about all of this because she is presumably going against everything she stands for to even be partially associated with this trainwreck.

That was fast, Roseanne's already "apologized" and is apparently leaving Twitter. She's so fucking senile and that's not an excuse for anything.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 05-29-2018 at 11:58 AM.